Offline Database #4

Should I set up an offline database on another PC on the network in case of a
primary POS failure?  How does this work?  Sorry for the dumb
questions........but as I stated in an earlier post, I am going live April 2,
and I am just trying to be ready for everything!

Tim - Cigar Guy
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,
The concept of offline database is that if the main server get down your POS
can still run. There are 2 things necessary for this setup is that your
online and offline database server should not be same. i.e.

Server A = Online database
POS A = Offline database

you can also define the terminal offline database that will enable your
store to keep running even if your file server is temporarily down or
offline. Use the Database Creation Wizard to create this offline database and
then use offline tab in configuration menu to configure the database. Note
that the server defined for the terminal offline database must be different
from the server specified for the primary database. We recommend that in the
Server name field for terminal offline, you enter the name of your local
machine.

After you define the offline database, you need to synchronize your offline
database with the primary database. To do this, generate any one of following
in your RMS POS.

Blind Closeout
Z Report
ZZ Report

When synchronize the data with server SO copies only the non-transaction
data, such as items and customers, to the offline database. After you define
and synchronize the terminal offline database, you can then process standard
sales transactions while the file server is down.

if the file server crashes during the business day and you need to continue
with standard sales transactions (can not perform on offline close the batch,
create customer accounts,quote,order), you simply restart the POS program. If
the terminal offline database is properly defined, SO will automatically
switch to terminal offline mode and can perform standard sales transactions
in a backup database. Once the file server has been restored, then you can
again restart your POS program, return to online mode and automatically
update the primary database with the backup data

Hope this will help you.
"Tim - Cigar Guy" wrote:

> Should I set up an offline database on another PC on the network in case of a
> primary POS failure?  How does this work?  Sorry for the dumb
> questions........but as I stated in an earlier post, I am going live April 2,
> and I am just trying to be ready for everything!
>
> Tim - Cigar Guy
0
AkberAlwani (916)
3/23/2007 7:13:05 AM
Thank you for the detailed response.  I may have had my systems set up in
poor order........

NOTE: Single lane license only.

PC #1 = New Computer Intel Board/P4 Prescott/1 gig ddr2 667/.   Twin wd 80
gig's SATA set up in RAID1. (Pretty Solid).  Currently this system is set up
as the "server database" and "POS" .

PC #2 = Not as new as the first PC, but very stable. Running Manager and
Administrator.  Also near the POS in proximity, used for multiple purposes.
Internet, office apps, general computing.  Close to customer checkout area.

PC #3 = .Older but very reliable.  Running Manager and Administrator.  Also
near the POS in proximity, used for multiple purposes.  Internet, office
apps, general computing.

It sounds like I should have had the server database set up and running on
one of the other computers.  Stability and ability to recover from any
problems is important, be it hardware or software, I just want the ability to
get back and running.  I can get the hardware up and running
quick........just want to make sure I have everything else in place.  What
would be the ideal setup??

Thanks Again!

Tim - Cigar Guy

"Akber Alwani" wrote:

> Hi,
> The concept of offline database is that if the main server get down your POS
> can still run. There are 2 things necessary for this setup is that your
> online and offline database server should not be same. i.e.
>
> Server A = Online database
> POS A = Offline database
>
> you can also define the terminal offline database that will enable your
> store to keep running even if your file server is temporarily down or
> offline. Use the Database Creation Wizard to create this offline database and
> then use offline tab in configuration menu to configure the database. Note
> that the server defined for the terminal offline database must be different
> from the server specified for the primary database. We recommend that in the
> Server name field for terminal offline, you enter the name of your local
> machine.
>
> After you define the offline database, you need to synchronize your offline
> database with the primary database. To do this, generate any one of following
> in your RMS POS.
>
> Blind Closeout
> Z Report
> ZZ Report
>
> When synchronize the data with server SO copies only the non-transaction
> data, such as items and customers, to the offline database. After you define
> and synchronize the terminal offline database, you can then process standard
> sales transactions while the file server is down.
>
> if the file server crashes during the business day and you need to continue
> with standard sales transactions (can not perform on offline close the batch,
> create customer accounts,quote,order), you simply restart the POS program. If
> the terminal offline database is properly defined, SO will automatically
> switch to terminal offline mode and can perform standard sales transactions
> in a backup database. Once the file server has been restored, then you can
> again restart your POS program, return to online mode and automatically
> update the primary database with the backup data
>
> Hope this will help you.
> "Tim - Cigar Guy" wrote:
>
> > Should I set up an offline database on another PC on the network in case of a
> > primary POS failure?  How does this work?  Sorry for the dumb
> > questions........but as I stated in an earlier post, I am going live April 2,
> > and I am just trying to be ready for everything!
> >
> > Tim - Cigar Guy
HI Tim,
The hardware configuration you defined is reasonable and much enough for
your operation, i am just using 3 machine 2 as POS and one as database server
and manager operation.

Only thing require for you to implement good /excellent database backup
stratgey.
which I did infact I have done one more thing here is that each stores (4)
I created the database server and here in HQ I also created one server which
just replicate the information and sycn the store data at HQ. remember it is
not RMS HQ here HQ mean my head office location.

There are many ways to work, but yours is okay too.

"Tim - Cigar Guy" wrote:

> [...]
> > with standard sales transactions (can not perform on offline close the batch,
> > create customer accounts,quote,order), you simply restart the POS program. If
> > the terminal offline database is properly defined, SO will automatically
> > switch to terminal offline mode and can perform standard sales transactions
> > in a backup database. Once the file server has been restored, then you can
> > again restart your POS program, return to online mode and automatically
> > update the primary database with the backup data
> >
> > Hope this will help you.
> > "Tim - Cigar Guy" wrote:
> >
> > > Should I set up an offline database on another PC on the network in case of a
> > > primary POS failure?  How does this work?  Sorry for the dumb
> > > questions........but as I stated in an earlier post, I am going live April 2,
> > > and I am just trying to be ready for everything!

0
AkberAlwani (916)
3/24/2007 5:19:37 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on licensing issues related to offline
databases in 2.0?

What I'm wondering is whether there will be any hitches running the
primary DB on a non-POS machine?  With the POS being licensed by
machine is there any reason I shouldn't be able to continue running
the DB in back with just the offline DB running on the POS?

I'm fairly confident that this is not a problem but I sure would like
to know for sure.  We don't have plans to deploy 2.0 any time soon but
in the long run I suppose we'll have to and I just want to be ready
for that eventuality.

Thanks all,

Brandon

On Mar 23, 10:19 pm, Akber Alwani
<AkberAlw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > When synchronize the data with server SO copies only the non-transaction
> > > data, such as items and customers, to the offline database. After you define
> > > and synchronize the terminal offline database, you can then process standard
> > > sales transactions while the file server is down.
>
> > > if the file server crashes during the business day and you need to continue
> > > with standard sales transactions (can not perform on offline close the batch,
> > > create customer accounts,quote,order), you simply restart the POS program. If
> > > the terminal offline database is properly defined, SO will automatically
> > > switch to terminal offline mode and can perform standard sales transactions
> > > in a backup database. Once the file server has been restored, then you can
> > > again restart your POS program, return to online mode and automatically
> > > update the primary database with the backup data

0
ElBorba (39)

Database Size Not Reducing
I ran mailbox management and removed about 4GB of data from my information store but my file size seems to remain the same even days later. Is there a way to force an online defrag because it must not be happening and I am a little worried that since I only have 1.8GB left on that drive it is going to continue to fill up. Will it just overwrite the newly created white space (if thats the right term), or will it continute to write to the end of the database? Thank you "Ketta" <no@post.net> wrote: >I ran mailbox management and removed about 4GB of data from my informati...

Ex5.5 IS
Hello! I have a problem with an Exchange 5.5 server: The Information Store stopped with the logged event 1160, Source: Exchange IS, Database resource failure error Out of memory occurred in function JTAB_BASE::EcCreateIndex while accessing the database. It starts with that when users sort their mail in an folder, they get invisible... Users also use PGP... I noticed that there are two KB articles that describe this event. But according to these articles this is only a problem with earlier SPs but we use SP4 on that server. The version of store.exe is: 5.5.2657.74 and from Perfiz.ex...

office for mac #4
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) Processor: intel how can i upgrade from office for mac students to professional On 3/21/08 10:54 01AM, in article ee959d3.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Vikram@officeformac.com" <Vikram@officeformac.com> wrote: > > how can i upgrade from office for mac students to professional No. there is no way to upgrade. -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> ...

Global Address List #4
I have copied an existing user on Small Bus Server 2003 with an Exchange Mail Box. However, the new user does not show up in the Global Address Book. Can I create a Global entry manually? Help, Keith Where did you copy this user too? From where to what? "Keith Coleman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03b401c3d726$7e57acb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have copied an existing user on Small Bus Server 2003 > with an Exchange Mail Box. However, the new user does not > show up in the Global Address Book. Can I create a Global > entry manuall...

MMoney for ppc opens only 4 weeks data.
I am using Mmoney for ppc2005 on Windows Mobile 2003. I made full back up of all data to escape problems when upgrading from MMoney 2002 to MMoney 2005. Now I can not open the old MMoney 2002 file, because versions turned to be incompatible. When I thought I could lode the database from My Pocket PC, after I made full restore in it MMoney opens only the last 4 weeks with MMoney data instead of 2 years. Where is my backed up data for 2 years that I backed up? Did you set ActiveSync to synchronize all data rather than 4 weeks for Money for the pocket pc? If you didn't, then you'll...

"Edit" feature in Issues Database for Access 2003
Under Search Issues tab when a individual conducts a search and returns the choices, there is an "edit" feature that allows the individual to click on "edit", then they are able to "edit" the entry. What I am trying to do is change that "edit" to just "open" the entry and view it. The only place the "edit" field appears is in the Browse Issues Table under forms, and it's a subform. Could someone please help. Thank you in advance. "Rosebud" <Rosebud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB0B...

MS Office 4.2.1 for Mac
I purchased Office 4.2.1 for use on a Mac PowerBook G3 Series 300 but it would not run with an ATI PCMCIA Card driving a second monitor. Therefore it has never been used. I still have the CD. Now I want to install this on the same PowerBook G# which has been upgraded to a Sonnet G4 500. When I try to install, the Setup simply reports that "Microsoft Office SetUp was not completed successfully!" Will Office 4.2.1 function with the G4 upgrade? Ho can I get a good install? Will appreciate any help. MacWettig@aol.com Hi, Office 4.2.1 will probably not install properly in OS 9. -Jim...

database problem.
I create a mfc dialog programe in vs.net 2003 use vc++ . In the dialog I add a datagrid(sp4,com) and a adodc(sp5,com) but when I close the dialog ,it give me a Error,why?(I had set datagrid's datafield) in VC 6.0(sp5),Everything is OK!why,who can give me a answer? "lxg" <lixngang@163.com> wrote in message news:OP5yi4W6DHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I create a mfc dialog programe in vs.net 2003 use vc++ . > In the dialog I add a datagrid(sp4,com) and a adodc(sp5,com) but when I > close the dialog ,it give me a Error,why?(I had set datagrid's datafield) >...

importing reports from another database
I am importing reports from one database to another. After importing, I have to change the report source to the correct query name and the field names to match the correct query--This seems to work fine except-- I have an expression in this report that will not change. When I go into the expression builder, the fields from the new query are not there. It contains the names of the fields from the report from which it was imported. Am I going about this the wrong way? Do I need to create this report from scratch? Or, is there something else I should be changing.-- Ronnie...

sql 2005 local database lost without ethernet
I'm running rms 1.3 with sql 2005. If my router reboots or if I unplug my ethernet cable I get kicked out of POS or Manager and receive a database connection lost error message. I can understand this on a remote machine but why on a local database machine. I wouldn't think the local database would need an ethernet connection...i'm assuming I have something wrong in SQL...is there an sql 2005 database implementation guide for rms 1.3...the version I have only covers msde 2000...any help would be appreciated David - this is normal for the RMS application, even though you ar...

excel spreadsheet is 4.77mb but only has 126 rows, why?
i copy and paste information from excel spreadhseets on to one main spreadsheet. there is only 126 rows on the master sheet but when i save it and try to email it as an attachment i am unable to as the file size is 4.77mb. all i have in the spreadsheet is text so i cannot understand as to why the file is that size, any ideas? thank you See Debra Dalgleish's site for info and fixes for this. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:27:02 -0800, "Bazar25" <Bazar25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i copy and ...

Cannot assign or share records while offline in Sales for Outlook
I was just wondering if there was a catch assigning and sharing records in Sales for Outlook. It seems that the assign and share options is removed from my actions menu when I am offline in Sales for Outlook but is there when I am online and its also there in the Web Browser interface. Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks in advance for the help. This is a "feature" of Sales for Outlook. This is a have to have option for us and my clients but I have yet to see how to get around it or why they are crippling this product. >-----Original Message----- >I was jus...

Copying access 2002 to create access 2000 database
I have Access 2002 with a database I created for a friend. My friend has Access 2000 at work. I need to make a copy of the database and convert it to Access 2000. Then I will send it via Internet and have it copied to the PC at work. What is the procedure to convert a copy of an Access 2002 database to Access 2000? Thanks It's entirely possible that it's already in Access 2000 format: that's actually the default format for Access 2002. Look under Tools | Database Utilties | Convert Database. If it's already in Access 2000 format, the option to convert to 2000 will be...

sample data for CRM 4.0?
I read in the CRM 4.0 implementation guide (yeah, I am reading it!) that CRM 4.0 sample data was supposedly available for download... has anyone located the link for this? The resource center isn't coming up with anything. Thanks! Nick -- Nick Doelman www.readybms.com The sample data will be released soon (for English) and other languages will follow in due course. Philip Richardson [MSFT] "Nick Doelman" wrote: > I read in the CRM 4.0 implementation guide (yeah, I am reading it!) that CRM > 4.0 sample data was supposedly available for download... has anyone loca...

Compact database
We are a gift shop with many, many new items each year and only a few reorders. Thus, we have lots of item codes that are not being used. Each year we try to clean up the items database and delete those item codes that have not been used for over 2 years and for which the Qty=0. I have just completed deleting the items no longer in use. Our database is huge. Is there a way to compact the database after deleting these items no longer in use each year? We transferred from QuickSell 2000 and there was a way to compact the database in the Doctor program. ...

Upgrade Outlook XP to 2003
Hi After an upgrade MS-Office XP to 2003 Outlook in off-line mode doesn't work correctly. If I press F9 the dialog says conecting, replicating ...... OK. Everything looks good, but I dont't recieve any new mail from exchange (5.5) and nothing is send out :-( On-line or a cached mode works OK, but the outlooks are on ISDN line, so I need a off-line mode. Does anybody have any working idea :-) Martin Kucera ...

Money 2005 Small Business #4
When I create an estimate it is printing an invoice instead, in other words, with the estimate box marked, when I print out estimate it says invoice at the top. Can ayone help me with this problem? In microsoft.public.money, Chris Jones wrote: >When I create an estimate it is printing an invoice instead, in other words, >with the estimate box marked, when I print out estimate it says invoice at >the top. Can ayone help me with this problem? > Be advised that this and the other two times you asked the same question were posted. I suggest you be patient until somebody wh...

New license key for upgrades from 3.0 to 4.0
Is there a process for obtaining a new license key that will be accepted during an upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0. My current 3.0 license is not being accepted! Thanks in advance, ~Maria Trial license keys are provided inthe readme that comes with the downloads. The rpocess for getting the "real" keys has not been announced. -- Matt Parks MVP - Dynamics CRM "Maria Greendyk" <MariaGreendyk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5CAE82E-A779-4FFD-9D72-3E0E02D3580C@microsoft.com... Is there a process for obtaining a new license key that will be accepted d...

Printing database model
Hi All I am using VISIO 2007 and have created a database model and would like to print it out with table properties, notes, column properties, information etc. However when I print I see only a picture of the tables and nothing about the detailed database properties that I spent so much time entering. Also how do I build SQL/ make a database with the model I created here? Is this tool not capable of doing this basic stuff? Very frustrated! TIA Hi Arun, You must have the Visio for enterprise architects version for generate a database from you visio drawing and for having more repor...

Access Database 04-26-07
I have a database on a server for our entire team to make entries. We have a problem that has arisen in the past couple of weeks on the input form. Only several people on the team encounter the problem. When these people open the input form, the date block (which should automatically contain the current date) contains "Name#" in lieu of the date. Once the individual overwrites the error with the date and moves to another record, the input form functions correctly. I am at a loss as to why this happens and why it only happens to several people and not everyone. You can ...

Working offline (not)
I don't know what's different today, but every time I start WLM it "thinks" I'm offline. It offers me the choice of "work offline" or "try again". How do I get rid of this? What type of Internet connection do you have? If 'always on' broadband, go to Tools, Accounts, select your mail account, Properties, Connection. What does it show for connection? You must either leave that unselected (in which case WLM will use=20 whatever connection IE uses), or else select the Local Area Network. Also, under Tools, Options, Connection, th...

MS Update offline installer
We use a non-MS deployment tool at my company and I would like to use it to push out Microsoft Update agent to all our computers. We don't have a WSUS and our systems come imaged from Dell so most do not have MS Update only Windows update. As a result our office installs are very out of date. Does anyone know a way to get an executable installer for MS Update that I can run with a batch file on our PCs? ...

Inventory Database Merger
We are just setting up our first brick & morter store and we have over 10K items to enter into inventory. It would go faster if we could enter these on 2 or 3 different computers which means 2 or 3 different databases then merge them all. Is this possible. I know nothing of SQL databases. Thanks, All three computers can be pointed to the same database, just make sure that each person has unique items to enter so as to not cause any mix-ups. One computer(or a server)would hold the database, and the other machines would be networked with the machine holding the database. Give each mac...

Excel databases. I'm lost. Curses.
G'day. A few years back, I created an excel database. First I created a from and I could toggle to the database via a tool button. If I clicked on the row I could toggle back to that data entries in form mode. Something else. I changed the row and column headings. The headings became the headings on the form instead of A, G, C, D, etc. Instead of these grey cell references automatically given by excel, not names in a cell underneath. Hope that makes sense. Now that I need to create something similar again for personal use, I can't remember how I did it. It's driving me insane...

error message #4
After opening Miscrosoft Publisher in Office 2000, this message appears: "the wizard files were not installed please run setup again to install wizard see help for more information on running setup." How does one do this? Which? How to see Help for more information or how to run the setup again? Assuming it's the latter, put the Office 2000 disk in and run the setup. -- JoAnn Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer. --Bruce Graham "parson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26bc0...