Norton Ghost Image HQ Server then backup database file daily fine?

Would ghosting the hard drive image of our Windows 2003 HQ server once
to an external storage space then daily backing up the HQ database file
with a batch file + task scheduler be sufficient for backup purposes?

Nothing is ever installed or changed on the server except the HQ
database file I believe?  And perhaps some windows security updates but
that can always be re-downloaded.

0
trae78 (34)
2/3/2005 6:06:31 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Matt,

If you are speaking of Windows 2003 Server, Ghost will not work.  Use
LiveState Recovery from Symantec instead.  Ghost only works with XP and W2K

We use a batch file to backup the database and Ghost to backup the changes
to the drive multiple times a day on XP systems.  You can do the same with
LiveState Recovery Advanced, not Standard with Windows 2003 Server.

--
*
"Matt" <trae78@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Would ghosting the hard drive image of our Windows 2003 HQ server once
to an external storage space then daily backing up the HQ database file
with a batch file + task scheduler be sufficient for backup purposes?

Nothing is ever installed or changed on the server except the HQ
database file I believe?  And perhaps some windows security updates but
that can always be re-downloaded.

0
spam3944 (2163)
2/3/2005 6:24:52 PM
Thanks for the tip Jeff.  Would it be feasible to just image the hard
drive with LiveState Recovery maybe once a month since nothing changes
on our server except for the database file?   I'd back up the HQ
database file multiple times a day however to an external usb hard
drive.   Are there any other RMS files that should be backed up
seperately with the HQ database?

0
trae78 (34)
2/3/2005 8:09:51 PM
RAID??

"Matt" <trae78@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would ghosting the hard drive image of our Windows 2003 HQ server once
> to an external storage space then daily backing up the HQ database file
> with a batch file + task scheduler be sufficient for backup purposes?
>
> Nothing is ever installed or changed on the server except the HQ
> database file I believe?  And perhaps some windows security updates but
> that can always be re-downloaded.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2005 8:19:54 PM
Our server was configured by our reseller for raid 0 I believe which
provides a performance increase instead of hard drive redundancy.  I
was under the impression when they informed us of the raid option at
the last minute, it was for data backup purposes instead of
performance.  Which kinda annoys me since originally the server was
supposed to come configured with a scsi instead of ide.

0
trae78 (34)

Max clinet change to Cache mode per server
Hi, we have 2 Exchange 2003 a-p Cluster on Unisys ES7000 with 9000 mailboxes on each cluster. The Clients work with Outlook XP. We plan a Rollout of Outlook 2003 SP2 with activated Cache Mode. Our Offline Adressbook has abaout 10 MB and one Mailbox a average space of 35 MB. Now my question, how much client can rolled out parallel that the download of the mailbox content has only small impact to the Exchange Server performance ? Has anybody some experiences in this case Thank you Ingo ...

Prohibited File Type?
If someone sends me a picture file as an attachment to an email message I get shown "Prohibited File Type..file deactivated". I can see the pic in the body of the message but can't open and view the picture file by clicking it? Similarly if I try to attach a picture file to a message I send that also gives the same warning both before sending and to the recipient? The files In question are jpg files. Anyone advise please? Tools/Safety/Options/Security Uncheck - do not allow attachments to be save or opened - block images and other external content Check (op...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

PibotTable(OLE server)
I'm using MS Access 2003 and doing homework about Pivottable. When I select Query that I would like to create Pivottable. There is a message shows" The connection with the OLE server was lost, or the OLE server encountered an error while you were using it. Restart the OLE server, and then try the operation again." I don't know what the OLE server is and how to restart? If you knows, please help Thanks On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:23:01 -0700, TT <TT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Not sure exactly what happened, but your query likely included an "OLE Object"...

Hidden Folders and Files
I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, even though I was able to a short while ago. I don't know what I have done to change this. Under folder options I have selected "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders" However they are not visible. Any advise? Thanks. leasider<SPAM> wrote: > I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. > > For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, > even though I was able to a short ...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

What firewall ports to open to manage server through ESM?
Hi, Got 2 Exchange 2003 servers (in separate RGs) which are connected via WAN and separated by Firewalls. What are the Firewall ports I need to open in order to manage the remote Exchange server, using a local ESM? TIA, Shel Shel: I don't know the answer, but why can't you use Remote Desktop Connection (port 3389) for this? From my experience, it is at least 10x faster than directly using ESM or ADUC and works great even over 56k dial-up to a VPN. Regards, Martin "Shel" <shel@msnews.forum.com> wrote in message news:OJlNgOwcEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > H...

2 questions about Exchange Server 2000
1. How, or where, do I find out where Service Pack level I have installed? I see that I downloaded SP3, but I can't tell if it was ever installed. 2. Clients have Outlook 2000. Inbox is open. Last message is selected. No new mail. Then, if you click on a different message, you get the "new mail has arrived..." message. It seems to only deliver new mail when you change messages. Any thoughts? 1. In Exchange System Manager, highlight the Servers container. It should show you all servers in the right pane along with their service pack level. 2. Sounds like something is b...

MozyPro breaks VSS backups
We installed MozyPro on SBS 08 last night and the Windows Backups have failed completely since that time. I reran the SBS 08 backup wizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone using MozyPro and Win 08/SBS08 Backup? -- You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. Trust yourself. spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address) ...

Offline database cant be viewed
Outlook CRM Successfully copied all datas to local database for offline browsing. but when trying to browse the offline database, it first shows authentication error and clicking on Try again shows an empty page and no records. For your information, the CRM offline database MSCRM_MSDE.mdf is now more than 450MB but still couldnt browse any records in it. How to rectify the problem? On Feb 25, 11:43 am, TNa <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook CRM Successfully copied all datas to local database for offline > browsing. but when trying to browse the offline datab...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

Unable to import Quicken file to Money
I am trying to import my QUICKEN 2004 data file (QDATA.QDF) into Money 2004. I followed all the directions and validated the QDATA file first, but NOTHING imports. All I get are messages that indicate "Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types". The only transactions I have are account (Checking and Savings) transactions - debits and credits. I have tried this a number of times, and downloaded all updates to Money, but nothing ever converts. Can anyone help? You can not import Q2004 into M2004. You'll have to wait a few more days and then import it into M2...

outlook cant find file MSOE.DLL
when i try to open outlook an error msg comes up - cannot locate file MSOE.DLL. when i went to start, find, folder/files and searched for it i found it. how can i fix the problem please help. If you're using XP, it should be in the Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Outlook Express. This implies that it associates with the user who's logged into the system. Are you logging in as User Name in the above example? If not, that's why it can't find it. Further help is available in MSOE.TXT in the same sub-directory. Good Luck! <dinky_devil@hotmail.com> wrote...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

HQ Client and invalid store id\connection issue
Have client with four stores. Running RMS V 2.0. New store is number 4. Have been able to establish connection to HQ but get this message on the log: HQ message contains an invalid store\id connection passowrd. Although the message is quite clear. Where exactly should we be making the adjustments? Thank you veruy much. 2 places: In HQ Manager, Admin/Stores Open properties for Store 4 ( I believe you need to be in Maintenence Mode to do this) Go to connection Schedule Tab - near the bottom of the tab you can enter a password - this is unique to each store. In HQ Client, File/Configurat...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

Database ADO and simulate a critical section
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to implement a kind of critical section by locking a table in a database. I mean that while I write in the table I don't want another process being able to read it. If what you want to do is to lock the table so as to gain some kind of performance edge or exclusive use then look in the documentation for the DBMS concerned. EG in SQL Server there is the TABLOCK hint. If you want to comminucate a 'lock' across processes on a network to indicate something (EG the xxx table is being changed - don't touch it) then consider using a singl...

2 mirror files with :1 and :2
Not sure how, but have 1 excel file, lets call it FILEA.xls and when I open it, it opens a FILEA:1 and a FILEA:2 workbook. Any change made to FILEA:1 gets repeated in FILEA:2 and vice versa. Looks like some sort of mirroring, or changes being tracked, but track changes is turned off. Any help is appreciated! Hi you've opened two windows of the same workbook (from the window /new window menu) - just close one and then save - this should solve the problem Cheers JulieD "DJR" <DJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0F6BDF5-9DC2-486E-947C-ABBB6C4544...

Empty copy of database
G'Day All,I have a back-end database that contains both client data tables andsupporting tables with lists (e.g. Languages, Income Ranges etc) forcombos on the Forms. All relationships are defined, including twowith cascading deletes.I would like to take a "clean" copy of the database with client dataremoved and all autonumber key fields reset (to 1 for the first record).How may I achieve this?-- Regards,Pat GarardMelbourne, Australia_______________________ Create a new (blank) database.Import all tables: File | Get ExternalIn the Import dialog, click the More/Options button (...

Any bundles available for M05 w/TaxCut and Norton?
I just googled and found a CompUSA bundle that expired yesterday (my timing is as good as ever...). I'm going to buy TaxCut anyway, and if I can get a deal on M05 at the same time, that would be a good idea. Can anyone reply w/a pointer to any deals currently available? Thanks! Before you decide M05 is the right answer to any question, read posts and consider reviewing http://umpmfaq.info/Money2005.htm. If you get it for free, you might conclude, as others have, that it cost too much. "John DeMastri" <john@demastri.dot.com> wrote in message news:ugd3w3h5EHA.139...

Some Messages Don't Download from Server
I've upgraded to Outlook 2003. Lately, it seems that some of the messages on my earthlink server are not downloaded when I use Send/Receive. There seems to be pattern as to which messages are downloaded and which remain on the server. Anybody got any ideas how to fix this? ...

Outlook Data File Not Closing Properly
I always get the following error message when starting Outlook 2002 (running Office XP and Windows XP) : "The data file 'outlook' was not closed properly. The file is being checked for problems." I get this message everytime (whether I hibernate or shut down) when I start Outlook. This checking of the file can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and is very frustrating. Anyone have any idea what the issue is ? This started happening just after I installed XP SP3. ...

Outloook asks for old exchange server
A couple of months ago we did a migration from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Now I have a couple of users that are getting the cancel request box. I created another profile in outlook but it still does the same thing. Do or should I remove all profiles and start a new one from scratch? Any ideas are much appreciated. Delete the old profile and start anew. If this problem recurs, post your question to an Exchange group as I seem to recall there is something in Exchange that you can configure. "Aaron" wrote: > A couple of months ago we did a migration from exchange 5.5 to...

SQL Server hardware requirements
What are the suggested requirements for hardware, especially hard drives for the SQL Server databases??? www.microsoft.com/sql/ "JHFVigeant" <JHFVigeant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5FA4005D-130D-4B40-98FB-470BA8DFFB59@microsoft.com... > What are the suggested requirements for hardware, especially hard drives for > the SQL Server databases??? > ...