MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

I'm new to MS Dynamics software, and I may be posting this in the wrong
section - please let me know if I am.

I have recently opened a retail store, and purchased MS Point of Sale to
manage my POS functions.  Is this software also called RMS?  Is it a PART of
RMS?  From what I can find online, I cannot tell.

Also, I'm interested in connecting to MS POS's MS SQL database with an
external program (OSQL) to automate some SQL queries at the end of each day.
Does anyone know what I use for the datebase name (master?), username (sa?),
and password?  I cannot seem to find any documentation at all about how MS
POS interacts with the database, and what users it sets up when you install
the POS softaware.  When I called MS for tech support, they wanted my CC#
before they would even let me tell them what my questions were, which kind of
upset me.

Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim
0
Skoch (1)
10/7/2006 7:17:01 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

First, yes this is the correct group.

MSPOS is NOT the same as MS RMS.  MS Point of Sale is a separate
product.  It has a much nicer interface and wizards to help you set it
up, but has no 'advanced' features or customization ability as found in RMS.

MS RMS (Retail Management System) is a more powerful, feature rich
product; but it has a 'dated' interface and is very easy to set up
incorrectly - which is one reason that MS only sells it through a
partner channel.  RMS DOES include a sub-system called POS, which is the
point that is causing your confusion.

I haven't installed POS since it was in Beta, so I'm not going to say
much about how it connects or how it creates Windows user accounts.  I
*think* that the POS installer asks you to enter a database name and sa
password during setup, but it may actually use Windows authentication
mode.  I know for sure that POS creates a named instance of MSDE, which
is probably why you are having trouble connecting to it.  search you
system for sqlmangr.exe - it's probably already running in your task
tray anyway.  run sqlmangr and you should see a drop down box for
"Server" - drop this down and see what is available - there is probably
one that says "computername\POS_Instance" or something like that...
That is the "server" you need to connect to from your external
connection - note the "computerName\instanceName" syntax.  If you log
into the server as a windows administrator, you should be able to use
windows authentication to do whatever you need...

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Tim Skoch wrote:
> I'm new to MS Dynamics software, and I may be posting this in the wrong
> section - please let me know if I am.
>
> I have recently opened a retail store, and purchased MS Point of Sale to
> manage my POS functions.  Is this software also called RMS?  Is it a PART of
> RMS?  From what I can find online, I cannot tell.
>
> Also, I'm interested in connecting to MS POS's MS SQL database with an
> external program (OSQL) to automate some SQL queries at the end of each day.
> Does anyone know what I use for the datebase name (master?), username (sa?),
> and password?  I cannot seem to find any documentation at all about how MS
> POS interacts with the database, and what users it sets up when you install
> the POS softaware.  When I called MS for tech support, they wanted my CC#
> before they would even let me tell them what my questions were, which kind of
> upset me.
>
> Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tim
0
glenn9672 (1267)
10/9/2006 2:12:33 PM
Hello Glen and Tim,
Microsoft POS does use Windows authentication. The Database connection
information is in the program folder, default location is C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Point of Sale. Open the file rmssecured.config in notepad to
find the instance and DB name. The default name is MSPOSInstance. As Glen
stated the server would be computername\MSPOSInstance. The default DB name is
MSPOS.

Jeff Faul
Merchants Solutions
Microsoft Certified partner

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> First, yes this is the correct group.
>
> MSPOS is NOT the same as MS RMS.  MS Point of Sale is a separate
> product.  It has a much nicer interface and wizards to help you set it
> up, but has no 'advanced' features or customization ability as found in RMS.
>
> MS RMS (Retail Management System) is a more powerful, feature rich
> product; but it has a 'dated' interface and is very easy to set up
> incorrectly - which is one reason that MS only sells it through a
> partner channel.  RMS DOES include a sub-system called POS, which is the
> point that is causing your confusion.
>
> I haven't installed POS since it was in Beta, so I'm not going to say
> much about how it connects or how it creates Windows user accounts.  I
> *think* that the POS installer asks you to enter a database name and sa
> password during setup, but it may actually use Windows authentication
> mode.  I know for sure that POS creates a named instance of MSDE, which
> is probably why you are having trouble connecting to it.  search you
> system for sqlmangr.exe - it's probably already running in your task
> tray anyway.  run sqlmangr and you should see a drop down box for
> "Server" - drop this down and see what is available - there is probably
> one that says "computername\POS_Instance" or something like that...
> That is the "server" you need to connect to from your external
> connection - note the "computerName\instanceName" syntax.  If you log
> into the server as a windows administrator, you should be able to use
> windows authentication to do whatever you need...
>

> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Tim Skoch wrote:
> > I'm new to MS Dynamics software, and I may be posting this in the wrong
> > section - please let me know if I am.
> >
> > I have recently opened a retail store, and purchased MS Point of Sale to
> > manage my POS functions.  Is this software also called RMS?  Is it a PART of
> > RMS?  From what I can find online, I cannot tell.
> >
> > Also, I'm interested in connecting to MS POS's MS SQL database with an
> > external program (OSQL) to automate some SQL queries at the end of each day.
> > Does anyone know what I use for the datebase name (master?), username (sa?),
> > and password?  I cannot seem to find any documentation at all about how MS
> > POS interacts with the database, and what users it sets up when you install
> > the POS softaware.  When I called MS for tech support, they wanted my CC#
> > before they would even let me tell them what my questions were, which kind of
> > upset me.
> >
> > Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Tim

0
JeffFaul (54)
10/10/2006 4:33:02 PM
Tim,

You might want to look at this to see the differences between the programs;

http://tinyurl.com/ngh4g

--
=

You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader
 to see and download the file attachment.  If you are not using a reader,
 follow the link below to setup Outlook Express.  Click on "Open with
newsreader"

 http://tinyurl.com/75bgz

==========

"Tim Skoch" <Tim Skoch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to MS Dynamics software, and I may be posting this in the wrong
> section - please let me know if I am.
>
> I have recently opened a retail store, and purchased MS Point of Sale to
> manage my POS functions.  Is this software also called RMS?  Is it a PART
> of
> RMS?  From what I can find online, I cannot tell.
>
> Also, I'm interested in connecting to MS POS's MS SQL database with an
> external program (OSQL) to automate some SQL queries at the end of each
> day.
> Does anyone know what I use for the datebase name (master?), username
> (sa?),
> and password?  I cannot seem to find any documentation at all about how MS
> POS interacts with the database, and what users it sets up when you
> install
> the POS softaware.  When I called MS for tech support, they wanted my CC#
> before they would even let me tell them what my questions were, which kind
> of
> upset me.
>
> Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tim

0
spam3944 (2163)

Shared file keeps losing connection
I have a shared workbook, and sometimes when I work on it, it seems to lose connection with the shared file. (as it happens, its a 2003 file operating on both 2003 and 2007, but I don't think that's related to the problem) The workbook has VBA modules in, nothing very complicated though. and I get the following message: 'You are no longer connected to this file. Another user may have removed you, or saved over it.' The file is always still there, and we haven't been removed. It is infuriating for everyone involved. Is there a way of getting it to automa...

MS Pub 2003: Pasting
How do you set the program to use the template's font formatting when pasting text into a brochure? It keeps using the format that I am pasting. Right click and select Paste special.... "ocean mist" <oceanmist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD1EE8A9-2689-40DE-A994-6B14A9F2D9A4@microsoft.com... > How do you set the program to use the template's font formatting when > pasting > text into a brochure? It keeps using the format that I am pasting. ...

SQL 2000 Failover Cluster
Hi all. With the site being upgraded, I can't search so forgive me if this has already been asked. Does anyone know of or has anyone experienced problems with GP 7.5 running on a SQL 2000 failover cluster? Thanks! Dana Hi I have installed a number of SQL / Great Plains on a clustered environment. We always recommend to use the Active/ Passive cluster configuration to enable true failover (some clients wanted Active/Active Clustering and it can cause a few problems with some MBS web services products) When testing SQL Cluster Failover, we found it takes roughly 10 to 15 seconds ...

Upgrade Advisor: Duplicate SQL Server SPN
I saw a thread about this earlier where someone said just restarting the SQL Server service would fix this (it doesn't). Has anyone come across this? Is is necessary to use the ldp.exe tool to locate the duplicate SPN and use adsiedit.msc to remove it? -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com By the way: I am getting this error on a Small Business Server 2003 system. (Yet another upgrade on an SBS with SQL troubles!). The KB article I found about duplicate SPNs with CRM 1.2 refers to a fix for Windows 2000 that does not seem to apply in this case: no ldp.exe tool on SBS 2003...

Scorecards using MS Exel
Hi, I am looking for some decent walkthroughs on creating scorecards using Excel. I have seen some samples on the net and they don't focus much on the details of implementation. Would appreciate if someone can point me to some detailed walkthroughs on this. Hi Sayan, > I am looking for some decent walkthroughs on creating scorecards using > Excel. I have seen some samples on the net and they don't focus much on > the > details of implementation. Would appreciate if someone can point me to > some > detailed walkthroughs on this. What sort of scorecards? Simpl...

regarding the importing of look fields in MS CRM from .csv file
hi everyone, i have to import the look up field name lead territory which is their in lead entity and in the . csv file. this lead territory field ismapped with region entity i.e all the fields that are their in region entity are there is .csv file . i have to import the look up field in crm .first of all i replaced the lead territory in csv file to its correspondong GUid and passed it with the help of bulk import wizard but when i m mapping the look up fields source field will be the guid tha i have placed in .csv file but here and target field should be the field that is present in the reg...

MDI support from MS
Hi, I heard( i dont know its true or not) MDI support from Microsoft has been cancelled since they have a better architecture coming up, is that true, if yes what will be the changes, any one heard of this thing please reply, Sujith k varghese Do you know many DOS apps still runnable in Windows Vista? -- Regards Sheng Jiang Microsoft Most Valuable Professional in Visual C++ http://www.jiangsheng.net http://blog.joycode.com/jiangsheng/ "sujith" <sujithkvarghese@gmail.com> ???? news:1148894571.632475.242880@y43g2000cwc...

Connecting to my crm server
I just finished the install of CRM 1.2 on Small Business Server 2003. I have connectivity between by client and server, internet access and exchange e-mail - all accessible from the client. I added a client to CRM using the Wizard on Deployment Manager. All seems Ok! However, from the client I cannot get to the CRM application. With CRM 1.0 I would type http://servername/ and find the server. I've tried this and cannot connect. Also, when I try to install the Outlook CRM Client, with wizard asks for the URL of the CRM Server. I've tried everything I can think of an still ...

How to copy data from Voting Button to MS Access Data
Hi All, I am sure it is possible with Outlook / Access combination. Step 1 When I send meeting request, I want that request to be added in Access database When I assign task to my team members, that task should be added in Access database. In both of above cases please assume that columns are well defined in Database. Step 2 When individual respond to meeting request, their response (Accept, Reject, Tentative) should go directly into Access Table. When team member progress task assigned to them, their progress should go directly to Access table. Is it possible? Nimish 1) Write Outlook...

POS RMS
It is not clear if the POS questions & suggestions should be posted in the same board as the RMS questions & suggestions. Am I confused or is this confusing ? -- The BLue Saffron Company ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com...

Inventory Item List Not Populating, Generating SQL Errors
When any user tries to view the Items list under the Inventory category in the sidebar, the following warning appears: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ATYALLOC', table 'tempdb.dbo.##2411735'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. After clicking ok, the list never populates. All of our other lists are working correctly, except for this one. What can be done to enable this list's functionality? What version of GP? What Service Pack or build number? Did this feature ever worked before? Did you just noticed thi...

Formatting a cell for color that has a formula also
I am using this formula =If ($A$1="","",A1+1) so that when i put a date in it adds the next date to it. I want to be able to get Saturday and Sunday to change to a yellow color to note that its a weekend date can this be done? I can do it manually but would like to be able to do it automatically if possible. Thanks Karl Select your range (all at once) With A1 the activecell, do: format|Conditional formatting formula is: =weekday(a1,2)>5 give it a nice format. I like to give date cells a custom format of: dddd* mm/dd/yyyy Karl wrote: > > I am using this...

POS 2.0 Database
I just installed the MS POS 2.0 on a brand new HP (w XP Pro) with a sample database. Now I am ready to delete everything and start my own store's DB. However, even though I deleted all 3 copies of the sample databases I previously created (via Tools>Dayabase>Delete) I still see the sample database items and configuration specifics. How can I create a clean DB for my store? What is the meaning of Db in MS POS? Is there a non-listed DB somewhere that does not get to be listed in the DB list (for deleting)? THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE. -Delen HI, how you make deletion, by us...

Connecting to exchange using outlook (pop)
We have recently changed, at the office, to exchange and i'm having trouble using outlook (pop) to send/receive messages. I can send/receive but i'm always getting old messages come back and it takes forever to receive messages. Is there a special setting that needs to be on my outlook in order to correct this. Note. i use a laptop and need acces to email. therefore i use outlook (pop)because i don't have a vpn acces to the exchange server. Please help.. ...

MS Money 98 Update file
I recently had to reformat and I lost the update for MS Money 98. This is the OFX import function. MS site says it doesn't support this program any more, so it no longer has that file. Where can I get it? TIA, Grammy ...

how to catch error: cant open ADODB connection
"CreateObject" works, "Open" doesnt how to catch error and see what's wrong (the same code works on my home computer) thanks! Primoz code: set myConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") myConn.open "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;DATA SOURCE=" & serverx & ";UID=" & uidx & ";PWD=" & pwdx & ";DATABASE=" & dbx ...

425 5.1.0 Dropping connection due to an error on this server
I am receiving the following error on a Exchange 2000 Server. 425 5.1.0 Dropping connection due to an error on this server I cannot seem to find what this is, has anybody got any thoughts. Thanks David Furlong Is that for outgoing mail? Very likely there is an error condition on the other server and Exchange is just reporting it to you. David Furlong wrote: > I am receiving the following error on a Exchange 2000 Server. 425 5.1.0 > Dropping connection due to an error on this server > > I cannot seem to find what this is, has anybody got any thoughts. > > Thanks >...

Some Help Mobile Connectivity Blackberry Enterpise Server or Windows Smartphone
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but I thought I'd ask the exchange admins first. I need to find a solution for mobile phone connectivity. We want to fully synchronize calendar, contacts, task, and email with our yet to be determined mobile devices. I need this sync to be two way so if an entry is made on the phone it syncs back to exchange and if an entry is made in Outlook it syncs to the phone. I personally use a Palm Treo 700W and with Exchange SP2 and it works fine for me but it doesn't sync the draft and deleted folders. so if I have a draft email in outlook it...

Is there a developer's edition of RMS?
Hello All, Please forgive the newbie question, but what do developers use when doing RMS customization work? RMS is not included in either the MSDN or Microsoft Action Pack subscriptions, and I didn't see anything on the PartnerSource site other than the Customization Guide. I'm trying to do some customization work for a customer/friend, but neither of us have enough in our budgets for an extra SO + HQ purchase that would only be used for development. What alternatives do I have (besides a bigger budget <grin>)? thanks, randy The Customization guide is the only deve...

MS Word Send As feature
Any time I try to send a Word Doc as an attachement, MS WORD lunches another window wanting me to configure IE. I look in the settings under MS Outlook and MS Word can't seem to find anything to make Outlook be the default amil program upon executing the "file>Send To mail receipient as attachment" action. Plese help. Thanks in advance.... marselo ...

Importing Inventory file into MS Money Small Busines
Hi there, I currently have my inventory in a Microsoft Access database. Microsoft Money Small Business has an inventory capability but I'd rather not have to re-enter everything there. Since both products are by Microsoft I would think there must be a way to import inventory data from either Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel at the least. Peachtree does allow you to do this, for example. Anybody know if Money Small Business can? ...

SQL Server 2000: Tempdb growth is causing application failure...
Hello, I cannot prove this however everything that I have look at provides me cause to look at the tempdb as being the problem. Here is the scenerio; my sp produces a very large bcp output to text file with a header record having the total number of records inside the file. That number is generated from a import of over 1m records into a temporary table, then several aggregiate functions occur on that same table to provide this header number then the file is bcp out to disk. Now the header record number values are sometimes zero and when that happen the large file is NOT prod...

May I use MS RMS for food stores?
May I using MS RMS for food stores or supermarket? I heard what some guys from Canada and US say NOT!! What is your answer and decision? We have a number of customers who run specialist food stores/wine stores and RMS works very well for them in all aspects- POS, back office functions like PO's, stock control, goods inwards, reporting etc. I guess it depends on what kind of inventory your're talking about as thats where the work might come in. Most of our guys have less than 5000 items and many of them were able to export data from other systems and we then prepared it for impo...

MS Outlook newsgroup feature
Is there a way on how to make MS Outllok 2002 display my newsgroups instead of using Outlook Express? No. Outlook uses third party programs like Outlook Express for news reading. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Jonathan Estabillo <jonathan_estabillo@msn.com> asked: | Is there a way on how to make MS Outllok 2002 display my newsgroups | instead of using Outlook Express? ...

MS Money 2002 #5
Is anyone still using MS Money 2002? I've noticed that when I conect to the bank not all of my transactions are not being downloaded to my machine. (So certain withdrawls are not showing up in my ledger but if I look online at Washington Mutual they are there?) Is MS Money 2002 no longer compatiable with my bank? I called WM and they told me to contact MS. When I try to get support it says my PID is expired. Do I have to upgrade to MS Money 2004 now? Aaron ...