Importing a CSV file

I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a
..CSV file
3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
Entry
4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
BUT
If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format
Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by Excel while
in a CSV format.
For long numbers Excel will display the numbers as Scientific then once you
save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
For example:
Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup Code.
Notice Example above.
Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values will
no longer match what you have in your database.

You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure you
set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
not open and save the CSV file.

Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical Inventory
sheet.

Robert Armstrong
RMS Systems Inc.

"Vince" <Nagarra@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
> 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
> 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into
> .CSV file
> 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
> Entry
> 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
> BUT
> If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same
> format
> Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
> --
> Thank You
> Vince  :)

0
rob3336 (2)
10/8/2009 10:06:01 PM
Rob,
I understand the potential problem you are talking about, but I don't
understand how to resolve this...
1) How do I Import the file into an Excel worksheet?
2) Setting the column to Text, no problem...
3) Not sure I understand the last part either...Once you have made the
desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do not open and save the CSV
file???

When I try to save it back into a CSV file (after opening, since I can't
seem to import), I am being told that certain data will be lost, and one of
them is the Text option that I select!
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Rob @ RMS Ltd" wrote:

> The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by Excel while
> in a CSV format.
> For long numbers Excel will display the numbers as Scientific then once you
> save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
> For example:
> Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
> Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
> After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
> Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup Code.
> Notice Example above.
> Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values will
> no longer match what you have in your database.
>
> You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure you
> set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
> Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
> not open and save the CSV file.
>
> Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical Inventory
> sheet.
>
> Robert Armstrong
> RMS Systems Inc.
>
> "Vince" <Nagarra@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I want to import a file into physical inventory.  Here is what I do:
> > 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters)
> > 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into
> > .CSV file
> > 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel
> > Entry
> > 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!!
> > BUT
> > If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same
> > format
> > Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???
> > --
> > Thank You
> > Vince  :)

0
nagarra (173)
10/9/2009 12:01:01 AM
1. Import using Excel. There should be an Import option under the Data
tab/menu to import from Text file.
2. You set the Text file during the import Wizard.
3. What I mean regarding "do not open and save the CSV file" is because a
CSV file does not save column formatting and if you edit the file after
saving you will end up with the same results that I explained in my original
post.
"I am being told that certain data will be lost, and one of  them is the
Text option that I select!" Same issue as above.
Steps again would be:
1. Export from RMS.
2. Import CSV file into an Excel Worksheet using the Import Wizard in Excel.
Making sure you set the ILC column to Text.
3. Save file as an XLS file not CSV.
4. Once all changes are made in Excel THEN save as CSV.
5. Use the new CSV file to import back into RMS

Vince wrote:.....
> Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG???

We use the Import Utility for adding basic SKU and description
information and we generate the .csv file(s) in Excel. I've noticed that
Excel will sometimes put quotation marks around the entries in certain
fields - you might want to open your "import ready" file in Word or a
text editor and see if this is the case. If it is, a simple "search and
replace" solves the problem.

George
Awesome...worked like a charm...took a few tries importing, but I got
it...thank you very much!
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Rob @ RMS Systems Inc" wrote:

> [...]
> >> save the file it saves it with 000000's rather than the real number.
> >> For example:
> >> Item Lookup Code: 0745687456555
> >> Excel in CSV format displays as: 7.46E+11
> >> After Saving ILC converted to: 745687000000
> >> Also Excel will remove any 000's from the beginning of an Item lookup
> >> Code.
> >> Notice Example above.
> >> Once you try to import this back into RMS those Item Lookup Code values
> >> will
> >> no longer match what you have in your database.
> >>
> >> You will need to Import the Data into an Excel worksheet and make sure
> >> you
> >> set the Column data type to Text rather than General.
> >> Once you have made the desired changes save the file as a CSV file but do
> >> not open and save the CSV file.
> >>
> >> Now you should be able to import the CSV back into your Physical

0
nagarra (173)

How to Filter cells and save the file with certain criteria?
Hello. I have a Excel file that contains a large list of Tracking Numbers. The tracking numbers are from two sets of order types- Internet orders and Mail Orders. Orders that are from the Internet are matched up with a order number such as "5678". Orders from the mail-order side are designated by initials "MO". So in Excel it'll look something like this: trackingnumber orderid 123365656666 5467 152155896345 5468 123365634567 MO 152134567789 5469 152151234563 MO Is there a way to eliminate the Mail-Order rows and save the Excel file to ...

file send to as attachment outlook 2007
When using in word or excel command "send a copy of the document in an e-mail message as an attachment", outlook creats a new e-mail message with the document attached as it should be done. Then I add text in message body, and send the mail. It arrives only with the attachment. The text in message body disappears. This happens only if I work in outlook chache mode. My os is winXp Pro, and my server is SBS 2003. It used to work correct, until somthing happened. Any idea to solve? Thank you Zipi ...

If I accidently replace a saved file can I retrieve the old file?
No. PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject. Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "kamabiv" <kamabiv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A547F5D-AA2C-44D7-AEC7-8961A81AC4E5@microsoft.com... > ...

Best Practises setup with AD or File Server
Hi, We have a scenario where we are retiring out dedicated backup server. Currently we are using Symantec Backup Exec 11d. However, instead of replacing the dedicated server, their is a suggestion that I use existing servers for Backup Exec Are their known issues installing backup exec on a DC which also holds FSMO roles (PDC etc)? The other option is to install backup exec (and tape drive) on a file server which hosts the H and S drives. what do you think? I would use the file server. Presumably it is being accessed during the day when no backups are running. The b...

Import contacts from Excel
I have numerous contact lists with various categories and wondered if i can import them into an email distribution list so that i do not need to hand type each email? thanks "angie" <angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64042F86-62E0-4D42-B9CE-49C134DB4B7B@microsoft.com... >I have numerous contact lists with various categories and wondered if i can > import them into an email distribution list so that i do not need to hand > type each email? You can't import into a DL. Instead import into your Contacts and assign categories to ...

Starting with a new pst file
Hi, I would like to start with a blank pst file. I want to start again with no contacts, no emails, no appointments. How should I proceed to make this? Thanks for your help, Olivier Olivier Verdin <olivier.verdin@playcorporate.com> wrote: > I would like to start with a blank pst file. I want to start again > with no contacts, no emails, no appointments. Assuming Outlook 2002/2003, since you didn't think it important to mention your Outlook version, click File>New>Outlook Data File, Browse to where you want the new PST (or accept the default), give it a name ...

Intercept file download in IWebBrowser2
I have a MFC application host a webbrowser(IWebBrowser2).Basiclly ,I hope when user click a file download url(href="test.zip"),I can intercept the download message and process it by my own download component instead of IE itself. Is it possible? Any article will be help. Adv tks. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/ext/overview/downloadmgr.asp "L.J.S" <bconline2002@hotmail.com> д����Ϣ����:Oc7j%23OcAFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have a MFC application host a webbrowser(IWebBrowser2).Basiclly ,I > hope ...

Importing from Quicken
Is Money 2004 capable of converting over from Quicken XG? I want to switch. I think it would be able to convert those Quicken files "Ray" <plough@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:03b101c34d94$f5fa5c70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is Money 2004 capable of converting over from Quicken > XG? I want to switch. ...

accidently deleted file
Somehow I deleted the file MSMONEY.EXE. It seems I did prior to a restore point on my system. Is there anyway to get it back? Thanks....Inker Reinstall Money from the CD. It won't affect your data - that is kept on the *.mny file. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Inker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:072c01c3d799$f6d99a90$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Somehow I deleted the file MSMONEY.EXE. It seems I di...

how can I get a publisher file to acrobat reader
I have a Regestration Form created in publisher 2003. When a confrence addtendee signs on to our web site they need to be able to click on a file (acrobat reader) Hopfuly, and download it and print it so they can fill out the form and mail it off. (I say acobat reader because that seems to be the most common way it's done. I dont see an export in publisher or a inport to acrobat. how can i make this happen You will need a third party program to create the pdf file. Adobe Acrobat but it's spendy or a freebee i.e., Primopdf or another commercial program of modest cost, i.e., PDF-XC...

put files together
Hi all, I have in a directory "summary" some 800 files with a number for a name, like 8, 23, 44, 124, 2045 up to somewhere in the 2500's. There is no list of all those file names. Each file is a workbook with only one sheet called "ABCD". I know that the last cell used will be a cell in column H. I also know that the content of that cell will be ==== (4 to 7 times =). Column H will contain text, blanks (empty cells), numbers and other characters (like f.i. =). The number of rows used will be at least 6 and could be as much as 200 or so (25 is typical). I need ...

Hide toolbars when file opens
Hi all, I have created a file for people to use to get quotes. When the file opens, I do not want them to have access to any toolbars. How can I hide these when the file is opened, but only for this file - not any others that the user may subsequently open. All that they may need to do, is print the page out after getting a quote. Many thanks. Rob You can use this in the Thisworkbook module Rob Private Sub Workbook_Activate() Dim bar As CommandBar For Each bar In Application.CommandBars bar.Enabled = False Next End Sub Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate() Dim bar As C...

Exporting/ Importing
I tried importing a distribution list that another company sent me. After it finished importing, I received an error message: 855 error descriptions were recorded in the systems application event log. And to top that off, there was nothing in the Recipient Container that I imported the list to. What am I doing wrong? "phouamkha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I tried importing a distribution list that another company >sent me. After it finished importing, I received an error >message: 855 error descriptions were recorded in the >systems ...

Problem with .rc files in VS 2005
I have several projects that were created with VS 2003. These are MFC based applications with .RC files that contain localized strings. Some of these strings are Japanese, Korean, and Chinese encoded in MBCS. These projects work fine in VS 2003. I converted these projects to compile with VS 2005 and if I bring up the resource editor to view or modify the string resources, VS 2005 will modify the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese strings. It will replace the characters with all "?" question marks. Is there some setting that I need to set to prevent VS from modifying my string...

Configure a shortcut file programmatically?
Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database on the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to do this? Are you saying you want to create a shortcut file? Take a look at my May, 2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access". You can download the column (and sample database) for free at http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/SmartAccess.html -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wro...

Outlook 2003 PST file issues
I created a backup.pst form Outlook 2003. I also copied the outlook.pst file onto a cd. I had to format my HD and reinstall Windows XP and Office 2003. When I try to open either of the two PST files I get an error message "The file C:\path info\backup.pst is not a personal folder file." Can anyone please help me. All of my important email data is in there. I followed the instructions on the Microsoft site for backing up the file, not it won't open. Did you remove the read only attribute these files acquired from being on a CD? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brad&...

How do I import or insert Publication drawings to word?
How do I import or insert Microsoft Publication drawings into Microsoft word documnet or other documnets like PDF etc? You can't import a Pub file into Word. You can print your Pub file as a ..pdf. Or are you saying that you don't have Publisher? What is it that you are trying to do? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "M.V." <MV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17EA07B1-3CEB-41E8-B7B3-8E5DED9BEE90@microsoft.com... > > How do I import or insert Microsoft Publication drawings into Microsoft > word > documnet or other documn...

Importing address books into WLM
I have a new computer - I installed Windows Live Mail as my email client and also "imported" my Old Outlook Express address book But the contacts show up in Windows Contacts - NOT in Windows Live Mail How do I get them to appear there ?? TIA JM Have you signed in with a Live ID? "Jimbo" <jjmatt@davtv.com> wrote in message news:eWnw5acgKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I have a new computer - I installed Windows Live Mail as my email client > and also "imported" my Old Outlook Express address book > > But the contac...

Adding attachments to msg-files
I have a big problem regarding editing of MSG-files. This is what I do: 1. Open a MSG-file from Windows Explorer 2. Add an attachment (i.e a Word-document) to the email. 3. Save and close the email. When I re-open the MSG-file the attachment is missing! Instead Outlook has created a copy of the email in my inbox(!), and that copy contains the attachment. This has been tested with different mail-formats (HTML, Plain Text and RTF), and with Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 with the same result. Can anyone explain this behavior? I would call this a bug in Outlook, since changes you believe you ar...

Cannot find MRT.log File
I've read that this is located in the windows\debug\ dir. I have searched for the file name in my entire drive and it's not there. I've been running MRT for a long time now, in its monthly updates. The MRT.exe file is located in its proper place. So as it stands the thing runs and I can't find out whether it found bad stuff or not. Can someone please tell me how to get to that log file. Thanks. On this system, the log file is \windows\debug\mrt.log. Jim <programmernovice@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b47fa93-576e-4a85-9d8b-b0572d9ad34f@h9g2000yqa.googleg...

How do I set up a file to automatically save on exit?
I have created a file that several users will be accessing with varying computer skill level. I want to be sure that the file saves automatically when they close the file out rather than having to answer "yes" to the "Do you want to save this file?" question. Can this be done? Brian Yes, that can be done with VBA programming. The following macro will save the file whenever a close command is issued by the user, regardless of whether the file has already been saved. This is a Workbook event macro and must be placed in the workbook module. Post back an...

What am I doing wrong to export Outlook contacts to csv?
What am I doing wrong to export my Outlook contacts to a single-line-per-record ASCII comma-separated-value file? I can quite easily import a single-line-per-record ASCII csv file into Outlook Contacts; but whenever I export, I seem to always end up with a multi-line-per-record ASCII txt file as a result. Here is what I do (wrong, it turns out): 1. I start up Microsoft Outlook 2003 in Windows XP 2. File | Import and Export | Export to a file | Next 3. Comma-Separated Values (Windows) | Next 4. Select folder to export from: Contacts | Next 5. Select exported file as: contacts.csv | OK | Next ...

File Won't Open
Hi, I accidentally opened an xls file in Word, saved it with the Save command and now can't open it in Excel. Help please! -- Roadrunner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Roadrunner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27140 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466566 It's gone, you might be able to open it in word and get some text info out of it but essentially it's gone :( -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Roadrunner" <Roadr...

"Shrinking"Photo File Attachments in OE6
I hope I'm in the right group for this question. I'm a relative newbie and assume it's a FAQ: In attaching photo files to an OE e-mail (basic photos uploaded from a Canon saved to My Pictures Folder) the default is to send the Photo Attachment with HUGE size (often take 15 minutes to Send with my dial-up). How do I access/attach Photo to an OE 6 e-mail but make the size far smaller but still viewable by the recipient? Sorry if I'm in the wrong Group. Any "links" to correct answer would be appreciated!!!! <Temprock@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:115524...

Converting a publisher file
Hi I create a business card with publisher but I need to convert this file to either a tif or jpeg. Can anyone know of a file conversion that can do this? Thanks Depends what version you did not tell us. In Pub 2003 try Save As. -- John G Wot's Your Real Problem? "Budadm" <Budadm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880D6399-87EE-4C2C-9C8B-E6A0B53F55E4@microsoft.com... > Hi > I create a business card with publisher but I need to convert this > file to > either a tif or jpeg. Can anyone know of a file conversion that can do > this? > ...