ID Checker~Item Messages & Locking???

Would it be possible for anyone to write a quick command to lock the Item
Messages Dialog, so that when it is displayed, when someone scans another
item, the box does not disapeer?
For example when a product does not scan (not in the system), a dialog box
stays up, so even if the employee scans 3 more items, nothing beyond the item
without a code is scanned, and the error box is still up.
How Much am I looking at for something like this?
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

Just off the top of my head, I think you are looking at a total rewrite
of the RMS User Interface, so several boatloads of cash...

There is no way to catch the events you are interested in, so there is
no way to modify that behavior, unless Microsoft does it, and it would
be hard for them as well since most barcode scanners are just emulating
keystrokes.  About all they can do is make that dialog box NOT have a
default button, so that when your scanner sends a line feed, nothing
gets clicked...

You could talk to your reseller about one of Retail Realm's products - I
think it was called ButtonPOS, that has already rebuilt most of the UI -
they may actually be able to provide this functionality.  That's about
your best option, other than entering a product suggestion...

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Vince wrote:
> Would it be possible for anyone to write a quick command to lock the Item
> Messages Dialog, so that when it is displayed, when someone scans another
> item, the box does not disapeer?
> For example when a product does not scan (not in the system), a dialog box
> stays up, so even if the employee scans 3 more items, nothing beyond the item
> without a code is scanned, and the error box is still up.
> How Much am I looking at for something like this?
0
glenn9672 (1267)
7/5/2006 10:03:27 PM
Glenn,
All I wanted was a dialog box that was not going to disapeer when the
employee scanned another item.  For example, when an item is not in the
database, a dialog box is displayed, and it can not be scanned over...if the
employee continues to scan items, the dialog box stays and nothing else gets
scanned into the POS...is the locking of the dialog box the hard thing to do?
 If so I already checked with Retail Realm, and they have an ID checker, but
I was trying to do it a cheaper way via Item Messages.
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> Just off the top of my head, I think you are looking at a total rewrite
> of the RMS User Interface, so several boatloads of cash...
>
> There is no way to catch the events you are interested in, so there is
> no way to modify that behavior, unless Microsoft does it, and it would
> be hard for them as well since most barcode scanners are just emulating
> keystrokes.  About all they can do is make that dialog box NOT have a
> default button, so that when your scanner sends a line feed, nothing
> gets clicked...
>
> You could talk to your reseller about one of Retail Realm's products - I
> think it was called ButtonPOS, that has already rebuilt most of the UI -
> they may actually be able to provide this functionality.  That's about
> your best option, other than entering a product suggestion...
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Vince wrote:
> > Would it be possible for anyone to write a quick command to lock the Item
> > Messages Dialog, so that when it is displayed, when someone scans another
> > item, the box does not disapeer?
> > For example when a product does not scan (not in the system), a dialog box
> > stays up, so even if the employee scans 3 more items, nothing beyond the item
> > without a code is scanned, and the error box is still up.
> > How Much am I looking at for something like this?

0
nagarra (173)
7/5/2006 11:40:02 PM
The only event that you can 'hook' based on an item is ItemAdd.  If the
item is not found, no item is added, so you can't fire a dialog box.
Only Microsoft can modify the behavior of the built-in dialog.  So, to
give you an 'item not found' dialog that behaves differently (not
closing when an item is scanned), you have to be intercepting and acting
on input.  Since RMS doesn't have hooks that allow you to do this, you
would have to build a lot more UI - like a replacement for the
transaction screen...

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

Vince wrote:
> Glenn,
> All I wanted was a dialog box that was not going to disapeer when the
> employee scanned another item.  For example, when an item is not in the
> database, a dialog box is displayed, and it can not be scanned over...if the
> employee continues to scan items, the dialog box stays and nothing else gets
> scanned into the POS...is the locking of the dialog box the hard thing to do?
>  If so I already checked with Retail Realm, and they have an ID checker, but
> I was trying to do it a cheaper way via Item Messages.
0
glenn9672 (1267)
7/6/2006 2:07:37 PM
WOW...thanks Glenn...I didn't know that.  I guess I'm off to look at the ID
Checker then...seems to be my only option, thought it to be easier than an
add on.
--
Thank You
Vince  :)

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> The only event that you can 'hook' based on an item is ItemAdd.  If the
> item is not found, no item is added, so you can't fire a dialog box.
> Only Microsoft can modify the behavior of the built-in dialog.  So, to
> give you an 'item not found' dialog that behaves differently (not
> closing when an item is scanned), you have to be intercepting and acting
> on input.  Since RMS doesn't have hooks that allow you to do this, you
> would have to build a lot more UI - like a replacement for the
> transaction screen...
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> Vince wrote:
> > Glenn,
> > All I wanted was a dialog box that was not going to disapeer when the
> > employee scanned another item.  For example, when an item is not in the
> > database, a dialog box is displayed, and it can not be scanned over...if the
> > employee continues to scan items, the dialog box stays and nothing else gets
> > scanned into the POS...is the locking of the dialog box the hard thing to do?
> >  If so I already checked with Retail Realm, and they have an ID checker, but
> > I was trying to do it a cheaper way via Item Messages.

0
nagarra (173)
7/6/2006 7:50:02 PM
Vince-

Why not turn on "Display unknown item screen" (Manager, Configuration,
Options, Item options)... this seems like exactly what you want. When
an item is scanned that does not exist, it pops up a window telling you
so - and REQUIRES that you press the Escape key before continuing.

Jared

0
info8370 (1)

Advanced Find for Customer Address does not show Parent id
I need to get a list of Customer Addresses with some criteria in Advanced find and I would like to see the Contact they are related to. I have selected the column parentid to be shown in the grid, but it is blank for all the rows. It seems to be a problem of rights but I am logged in as Administrator. Can anyone help me? Thanks, Anna ...

Locking Named Cells
Lads, I have a lot of named cells in a workbook. Can I lock the name of th cells but allow users to change the data in them? I do not want them to be able to change the cell names becuase o references to them elsewhere in the workbooks. Lia -- wjoc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wjoc1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1528 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47473 Are you sure that the users are changing the names? Maybe they're just adding another name for that range...

i m using one Pst One Email-id but 2 system mail are coming 2 copy
i m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 . using one E-mail ID and one PST file but I m using in 2 different Systems . mail are coming 2 copy what is solution. i want one copy only Saravanakumar, you wrote on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:05:15 -0700: > i m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 . using one E-mail ID and one PST > file but I m using in 2 different Systems . mail are coming 2 copy > what is solution. i want one copy only Uncheck the option "Leave a copy on server" (or similiar): Tools | E-Mail-Accounts | Existing E-Mail-Accounts There select the email account, click on "...

Printing report of Items with their (many-to-many) tags?
Hello, Here are what the data tables look like: Items: ID, Name, Desc Tags: ID, Desc Item_Tags: ID, Item_ID, Tag_ID There are two (similar) reports that I need to print: ~~~~ Item_name_string: "Some Item" Item_tags_string: "A, Comma, Separated, List, Of, Tags" Item_notes_string: "Notes go here..." ~~~~ and.. ~~~~ Item_name_string: "Some Item" Item_notes_and_tags_string: "A, Comma, Separated, List, Of, Tags, Followed, By, Notes go here..." ~~~~ Basically, I need a report field that contains the concatenated list of "Tags.Desc"s ...

missing messages
We have Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. There are a few users who are not receiving messages properly. What happening is that the inbox counter (the number in parenthesis that shows the number of new messages) will increment, but the message will not be listed when the inbox is open. Eventually, even up to a week later, the messages will show up in the inbox. Both internal and external email is affected this way. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks, Chris ...

Money locks up #2
Whenever I try and open Money, nothing happens, everytime I have to close the program because it is not responding, I have tried reinstalling, but nothing works. Advice would be helpful. Thanks In microsoft.public.money, mattmtv wrote: >Whenever I try and open Money, nothing happens, everytime I have to close the >program because it is not responding, I have tried reinstalling, but nothing >works. Advice would be helpful. Try opening Money by double-clicking on the sample.mny in your Money install folder. If that works, suspect a problem with your Money file rather than the ...

Need documentation for CDO.Message parameters
Good morning! I'm using CDO.Message to send email from SQL Server 2000, and need documentation for its To, CC and BCC parameters. What is the maximum length string I can pass for each parameter? Is there a limit on the number of comma-separated email addresses I can pass? Hi Have you tried Google? ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_send_cdosysmail] @From varchar(100) , @To varchar(100) , @Subject varchar(100)=" ", @Body varchar(4000) =" " AS Declare @iMsg int Declare @hr int Declare @source varchar(255) Declare @description varchar...

Distribution List members gets a message more then once
Hi, I created a Distribution List group that contains some members with an external EMail Address(regular smtp address) and some with an Exchange Mail box. It Appears that the users with the Exchange EMail Address gets each message more then once.They get once in an hour the same message again. Where did I go wrong? Please help. Thanks, Shif Arad HI I am also getting this problem We have just changed our Internet Connection, and therefore created a new Routing Connection. Does anyone know if this is related Thank Mat ----- Shif Arad wrote: ---- Hi I created a...

Planner ID needs more than 3 characters (like Buyer ID)
SInce the planner ID is often used to break down commodities, 3 characters are often not enough. Also, some planners with the same 3 initials defaet the naming logic. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community...

Event ID 1205 Keeps coming up!!
I keep getting this error in the Application log in an Exchange 2003 server. The error refers to a user that does not even exist in my AD; the error code is 0x50c which according to the research I've done means that the user attempted to log in while the mailbox was being moved. That is not my problem since the user object does not even exist in AD. Any ideas on how I can get this error to stop popping up? See below: Event ID: 1205 Category: General Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Failed to create the mailbox of /o=Organization Name/ou=HQ/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=JCASTILLO with error 0x50...

Cells that won't Lock!
I am using Excel 2007 and I need to lock two cells to prevent anyone removing the formulae. I highlight the two cells and on the Home tab / Cells / Format, I click on 'Lock' in the drop-down menu. However, having done all this I can still over-type in those cells and the formulae disappear. What am I doing wrong? Noel Cells are locked by default. So, locking the cells does nothing until you protect the sheet. Right click sheet tab>protection. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotm...

unsend message
I need to unsend a message max <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to unsend a message If you are using Outlook on an Exchange server, then, under some circumstances, you can recall a message. Otherwise, no. ...

Items to Review (1) but nothing listed
I've not run into this before but my account shows one item to review but theres nothing there to review. Any ideas? This happens to me if Money matched the downloaded transaction to an already reconciled (R) transaction, and my account register is set to show unreconciled transactions only. Make sure you are showing all transactions including reconciled. You may have to scroll up in your account register and find the new transaction. At this point you may have to tell money that it's a new transaction and not to match it to an old one. neal.wilkinson@gmail.com wrote: > I'...

Cant delete any messages
Hi! My friend at work has a weird problem recently he can't delete any messages in Outlook Express the delete button doesn't work so does not the right mouse button menu delete option. When d&d the files theres a error that says "An error occurred" He works on a normal user account. Any ideas? Have your friend post in an Outlook Express newsgroup. Tell him/her to include the version of OE, the exact error message, and any other pertinent details. Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook are not the same e-mail client, nor are they related in spite of the similarity of ...

Outlook 2003 Not Sending Replies or New Messages
I have all of the latest patches and updates for my computer. I had installed XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003 Professional with SP1. When I reply or compose a new message this is what happens. I type in the body of the message and then push the SEND button. Once I push the send button the spell checker would come on and check the message for any erros and then prompt me to change or ignore and son on. Once it was done it would send the message. now what happens is that it wont even envoke the spellchecker. When I push the send button (it turns orange when i put my mouse on the send butt...

How to... in Outlook 2000 . .. how to segregate outgoing messages?
In Outlook 2000 I have several e-mail accounts in different domains. So I have as well appropriate number of incoming e-mail folders. When I respond from a particular folder, Outlook properly addresses the sender - with a correct domain. But after the messages are sent, they all go to the "elements sent" folder. Is there any way to dispatch tem to the different "elements sent" folders, basing on the email account which was used to send them? I have not found any apropriate rukes to use in Outlook... I mean - a simple way. I can imagine two rather complicated: 1. To write...

single item number into multiple bins
Hello, we are trying to use RMS to track inventory for an air-conditioning company with 10 service vehicles, the problem that I am having is for example if I want to show 5 rolls of duct tape per truck, RMS only seems to allow for only on bin location per Item number. As I don’t know of any business that can properly control inventory without the ability to store merchandise in multiple bins there must be a solution, does any one know how to place a single item number into multiple bins? Well, I think that you are going to run into issues because you are trying to use a retail inventor...

can't delete big message from outbox folder!!
hi, i'm using Outlook Express, but i attach to a message a big file (24MB) by mistake, so, when i try to get to my outbox folder to try to delete it from there, outlook hangs,, i have left it to work about 15 minutes, but still getting nothing,,,,, is there a way to get rid of that message from the outgoing mail? (outbox) Juan Cuesta wrote: > hi, i'm using Outlook Express, but i attach to a message a > big file (24MB) by mistake, so, when i try to get to my > outbox folder to try to delete it from there, outlook > hangs,, i have left it to work about 15 minutes, but still...

OAB not Updating; Event ID 9300
Outlook clients cannot download all of a sudden and I get this message in the event viewer: EVENT ID 9300 Source MSExchangeSA "Failed to generate offline Address Book, error '8007203a' " I have searched and could not find anything specific about this error. Exchange 2003 1100 Users Any Ideas?? Thanks Chuck Is the Offline Address list server correctly identified? Nue "sirchas" <sirchas@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142951251.583241.307920@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Outlook clients cannot download all of a sudden and I get this message &g...

Line Item Restrict to Actual Item Numbers
Is it possible for purchasing and for sales to restrict the line item field to only use a valid existing item number in the database? We have a problem in processing that is caused because the system allows them to type in item numbers that do not exist. Configure SOP not to accept non-inventory item and and educate user in POP not to mark Add Item in the options menu when in Purchase Order Entry window. Otherwise write a VBA script to validate Item Code from Item Master and Vendor Item Master. AllenMc, Dencio is correct. In SOP / POP window option ...

Item Screen
We are running RMS 2.0 and I have a question about the intem screen in Store Operations Manager. The listed fields include Item Lookup Code:Item Type:Description:Available Quanity:Price Is there a way to add the SubDescription field to this view? The thirty character limit in the discription is somewhat limiting in the Liquor Retail Industry. What I would like to place in the SubDescription is the bottle size i.e. 1.75L etc... This helps when evaluating the inventory and for odering. Any help would be apperciated. Thomas You cannot alter the Lookup screen in POS, but our SWAT S...

Moving items from Advanced Find dialog box
When I was running Outlook XP under Windows 98, I was able to select messages in the Advanced Find dialog box and move them all to a folder. Now, running Outlook XP under Windows XP, I can't do it. I get the message, "Can't move the items." What gives? Carolyn Kay ...

Message in color
How do I go about returning a message in differant colors. 1st message must be in Blue 2nd message must be in Green 3rd message must appear in Red. IF(AND(D17>0,D17<=2,"MESSAGE",IF(AND(D17<>"",D17<0),"MESSAGE",IF(AND(D17<>"",D17<1),"MESSAGE",""))) Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have a look at format>conditional format -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "cmlm >" <<cmlm.19nq0x@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:cmlm.19nq0x@excel...

MSExchangeTransport Event ID 929
Email's to external domains get stuck in outbound Queue. I have new SBS2003 Standard Server (eval edition) with Exchange SP1 installed. It worked fine prior to installing SP1. Added SBS Hotfixes: 832880, 843539, 872769 + several other hotfixes installed by Windows update. Errormessage in Eventviewer: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 3572 Process location: "E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\emsmta.exe" ConnectorDN: CN=SmallBusiness SMTP connector,CN=Connections,CN=first routing group,CN=Routing Groups,CN=first administrative group,CN=Administrative Gro...

Item Pictures
Hi, Is there a way to change to a more centralized location for the picture directory? I tried copying all the pictures to a shared drive on the network, but when I configure the items in the Special tab to point to the network directory, the pictures appear as a broken image. I can't believe that the pictures MUST reside on the POS machine's drive. What am I overlooking? You can use a shared directory for pictures/reports/receipts etc. I do it at all of my stores. I have done it with pictures and it seems to work fine. Make sure that everyone has the necessary permissio...