how to import item list into rms pos?

Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
-Cheng

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
mchenga (1)
9/10/2007 10:08:06 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is an unsupported tool called QSImport that is available from MS
Tech Support.  Personally I don't think that tool is worth the effort of
learning - it's easier for me to just use the tools built into SQL
Management Studio.  If you want to use a tool specific to RMS, get the
Import Tool from Retail Realm - it is far more powerful than QSImport.
http://www.retailrealm.co.uk

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

mchenga wrote:
> Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
> -Cheng
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
glenn9672 (1267)
9/11/2007 3:16:25 AM
Hi,

If you are interested we can write a custom import solution for you.

Regards,
Manick
manick.m@hotmail.com

"mchenga" wrote:

> Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
> -Cheng
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
manick (194)
9/11/2007 4:22:00 AM
QSCimport works OK.

For items, it's almost easier to use Excel to generate a series of query
statements.

Unless you are absolutely helpless, don't pay for data import into RMS.

Tom
--
Stop fishing for e-mail

"mchenga" wrote:

> Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
> -Cheng
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
tomg2938 (389)
9/11/2007 5:12:03 PM
Hi Tom,

I am obviously helpless as I don't know how you can import an excel file
into RMS. Can you give me any hints as this would save a considerable amount
of time.

Thanks

Andy

"Terrible Tom" wrote:

> QSCimport works OK.
>
> For items, it's almost easier to use Excel to generate a series of query
> statements.
>
> Unless you are absolutely helpless, don't pay for data import into RMS.
>
> Tom
> --
> Stop fishing for e-mail
>

> "mchenga" wrote:
>
> > Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
> > -Cheng
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
Contact me by e-mail and I will give you some direction.

Basically, use the text functions in Excel to build a series of INSERT INTO
statements, copy the statements into SO Admin and run them.

For every row, add this in the rightmost column:
="INSERT INTO Item (ItemLookupCode, Description, etc...) VALUES ("&ILC&",
"&DESC&", "&ETC...&")"

Where the values referenced are cell references.  The quotes are required.

The Excel VLOOKUP function can help you associate the items with the
necessary SupplierIDs from the Supplier table.  You'll want to export the
supplier table and copy it into Excel - preferably to a separate worksheet
within a single workbook.

If you need to import suppliers, do that first.  Items second.  If you want
to import customers with account balances, use QSCimport.  Importing
customers (no account balances) would be OK.

Tom
--
Stop fishing for e-mail

"Andy Willis" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I am obviously helpless as I don't know how you can import an excel file
> into RMS. Can you give me any hints as this would save a considerable amount
> of time.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy
>
> "Terrible Tom" wrote:
>
> > QSCimport works OK.
> >
> > For items, it's almost easier to use Excel to generate a series of query
> > statements.
> >
> > Unless you are absolutely helpless, don't pay for data import into RMS.
> >
> > Tom
> > --
> > Stop fishing for e-mail
> >

> > "mchenga" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, i have large list of items, how could i import them into RMS? any tools?
> > > -Cheng
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=49285b9f-5601-48f0-a664-6928de770384&dg=microsoft.public.pos
0
tomg2938 (389)
9/11/2007 11:56:02 PM
You can contact me and I will give you an FTP address to download the
evaluation version of our RR Import Utility tool.

Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
CEO - Retail Realm
= = = = = = = = = =
"Terrible Tom" <tomg@GOFISHrobysfurniture.com> wrote in message
> Contact me by e-mail and I will give you some direction.
>
> Basically, use the text functions in Excel to build a series of INSERT
> INTO
> statements, copy the statements into SO Admin and run them.
>
> For every row, add this in the rightmost column:
> ="INSERT INTO Item (ItemLookupCode, Description, etc...) VALUES ("&ILC&",
> "&DESC&", "&ETC...&")"
>
> Where the values referenced are cell references.  The quotes are required.
>
> The Excel VLOOKUP function can help you associate the items with the
> necessary SupplierIDs from the Supplier table.  You'll want to export the
> supplier table and copy it into Excel - preferably to a separate worksheet
> within a single workbook.
>
> If you need to import suppliers, do that first.  Items second.  If you
> want
> to import customers with account balances, use QSCimport.  Importing
> customers (no account balances) would be OK.
>

> Tom
> --
> Stop fishing for e-mail
>

> "Andy Willis" wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> I am obviously helpless as I don't know how you can import an excel file
>> into RMS. Can you give me any hints as this would save a considerable
>> amount
>> of time.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> "Terrible Tom" wrote:
>>
>> > QSCimport works OK.
>> >
>> > For items, it's almost easier to use Excel to generate a series of
>> > query
>> > statements.
>> >
>> > Unless you are absolutely helpless, don't pay for data import into RMS.
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > --
>> > Stop fishing for e-mail

0
afshin (783)
9/12/2007 12:15:28 AM
Afshin,
Does your import utility work with v2.0?

"Afshin Alikhani" wrote:

> You can contact me and I will give you an FTP address to download the
> evaluation version of our RR Import Utility tool.
>
> Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ]
> CEO - Retail Realm
> = = = = = = = = = =
> "Terrible Tom" <tomg@GOFISHrobysfurniture.com> wrote in message
> > Contact me by e-mail and I will give you some direction.
> >
> > Basically, use the text functions in Excel to build a series of INSERT
> > INTO
> > statements, copy the statements into SO Admin and run them.
> >
> > For every row, add this in the rightmost column:
> > ="INSERT INTO Item (ItemLookupCode, Description, etc...) VALUES ("&ILC&",
> > "&DESC&", "&ETC...&")"
> >
> > Where the values referenced are cell references.  The quotes are required.
> >
> > The Excel VLOOKUP function can help you associate the items with the
> > necessary SupplierIDs from the Supplier table.  You'll want to export the
> > supplier table and copy it into Excel - preferably to a separate worksheet
> > within a single workbook.
> >
> > If you need to import suppliers, do that first.  Items second.  If you
> > want
> > to import customers with account balances, use QSCimport.  Importing
> > customers (no account balances) would be OK.
> >

> > Tom
> > --
> > Stop fishing for e-mail
> >

> > "Andy Willis" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Tom,
> >>
> >> I am obviously helpless as I don't know how you can import an excel file
> >> into RMS. Can you give me any hints as this would save a considerable
> >> amount
> >> of time.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Andy