HELP!! After Upgrading to POS 2.0 (NOT RMS), Reboot Takes 10-15 Minutes

After upgrading to POS 2.0 (NOT RMS) over the Thanksgiving holiday hoping to
take advantage of the reputedly improved reporting and feature set, we now
experience a 10-15 minute boot duration waiting for Point of Sale to fully
start.  Now, if the system crashes or loses database connectivity (over the
wired LAN) during business hours, which it's prone to do at least once daily
since upgrading, a reboot is required to get the cashier station to
reconnect to the office db.

The POS Manager (also POS 2.0) is installed on a backoffice PC running dual
processors and 4GB RAM.  The cashier station is a Casio QT8000 with Embedded
XP and has no other application installed other than POS 2.0.

Is anyone else experiencing this boot delay using POS 2.0 (NOT RMS)?  Is
this a typical reboot duration?  Is there a hotfix or workaround?  Is there
a logfile we can consult and identify a stalled process or service?

I suspect the SQL 2005 bundled with POS 2.0 is nothing but bloatware
disquised as a robust db.  I see numerous tables that inexplicably have no
bearing on the Point of Sale application we purchased.

M Kalmus

pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Mark Kalmus" <dogtoothcoffee@gmail.com> wrote in

> After upgrading to POS 2.0 (NOT RMS) over the Thanksgiving holiday
> hoping to take advantage of the reputedly improved reporting and
Can't give you the downloads but I remember a patch for XP Embedded that
was on Sasser Virus.....This would slow a system down on booting.
Try : http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4535476428.html

Hope it helps!

www.genesis-pos.com
Specialized in Perishable Software
Scales, POS, Communications
Hobart, Toledo, TEC/Ishida, Bizerba

> feature set, we now experience a 10-15 minute boot duration waiting
> for Point of Sale to fully start.  Now, if the system crashes or loses
> database connectivity (over the wired LAN) during business hours,
> which it's prone to do at least once daily since upgrading, a reboot
> is required to get the cashier station to reconnect to the office db.
>
> The POS Manager (also POS 2.0) is installed on a backoffice PC running
> dual processors and 4GB RAM.  The cashier station is a Casio QT8000
> with Embedded XP and has no other application installed other than POS
> 2.0.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this boot delay using POS 2.0 (NOT RMS)?
> Is this a typical reboot duration?  Is there a hotfix or workaround?
> Is there a logfile we can consult and identify a stalled process or
> service?
>
> I suspect the SQL 2005 bundled with POS 2.0 is nothing but bloatware
> disquised as a robust db.  I see numerous tables that inexplicably
> have no bearing on the Point of Sale application we purchased.
>
> M Kalmus

formatting dates by year #2
I would like to know if there is a way to format dates so that they are formatted by year only. For example, if I click on Format -> Cells, there are a bunch of options, but none of them list to show the year only, just mm/dd/yy or mm/yy, etc. I am trying to create a chart so that only the year shows up. Also, I have tried doing Custom->and "yyyy" in type, but only 1 specific year shows up (i.e. 1905) for all the values. I would like to keep my values. Thanks much! ...

POS 2009 and domain accounts
How can I use POS 2009 with existing domain user accounts? I've seen some posts indicating you have to create local user accounts on servers and workstations. Surely POS 2009 can work with domain accounts instead of local accounts? ...

More Columns #2

Purchased Office 5-19--Upgrades Available?
This is a retail, boxed copy of Office delivered 5-19. Is there any way = to=20 upgrade to Office 2004 short of the $239 (or whatever it was)? Thanks. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote : > This is a retail, boxed copy of Office delivered 5-19. Is there any way to > upgrade to Office 2004 short of the $239 (or whatever it was)? Thanks. Yes! Se here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=office2004tg --------------------------------------------------------- Please reply to the newsgroup, and within the same thread. Merci de r�pondre au groupe, et dans l'enfilade...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

Linking files 2 ways

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

Goal Seek #2

Contacts in Exchange #2

Please help #8

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

number format with leading 0

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Help with importing data

ACH Check Conversion at POS anybody doing this?
I am currently setting up Check verification or maybe we will use ACH check conversion. I would appreciate any advice or warnings from users who have tried and failed or tried and tried and tried and finally suceeded. We have been trying to get Positive and Abanco and Geti to get echeck verification running for 2 months still no luck. -- RMS 1.3, MSDE 3 Lanes, 5 Back Office Clients XP sp2 Server 2003 sp1 Domain Static IP ...

Retail Hero's RMS Addons Catalog
Many have asked, so we thought we'd put the catalog into a public place. Download from www.RMSExperts.com or http://www.retailhero.com/Pictures/Retail_Hero's_RMS_Add-in_Catalog.pdf ...

anyone else having problems with the 12.1.9 "autoupdate"? #2
Hi all... The 11.5.5 autoupdate worked fine. The 12.1.9 autoupdate downloads (apparently), but then it goes right back to showing that the 12.1.9 update is available -- the updater itself never actually launches. Busy servers, maybe -- and the download isn't ever actually completing? Or bad updater on the update server for 12.1.9? The manual download from Mactopia of 12.1.9 installed properly -- this is just the auto-update that's not working now. - Steve You're right, the auto-update fail. It should be pulled or a message sent instructing to update by downloading directly...

Contact oddity and why are there 2 Contact Lists?
Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed in the TO:. I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I run a high school mailing list here) so I decided to check it out and changed the last name to all caps. Sure enuf the next email I rec'd showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name in the contact list and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>) Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru WLM and one thru Windows Contacts? I'm confused. ...