Custom Reports Using MS Access?

Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
obtain the needed information to create the reports.
Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
on how to use Access to create a report?
0
anonymous (74722)
7/20/2004 10:21:02 PM
pos 14173 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I'm not Glen...

I think you would use ODBC... to connect to the RMS database. Then use
Access to connect via ODBC...

Marc Wagner
www.gmroii.net

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
> Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
> Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
> obtain the needed information to create the reports.
> Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
> on how to use Access to create a report?

0
marcw1 (123)
7/21/2004 12:19:39 AM

Hi Dan,

You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using to
hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by creating a
regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using ODBC
and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and pointing
it directly to the SQL Server database.

Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works well
for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you like
best.

Brian M. Sockey
www.farsightsolutions.com

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
> Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
> Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
> obtain the needed information to create the reports.
> Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
> on how to use Access to create a report?

0
bsockey (7)
7/22/2004 6:05:57 AM
Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?

"Brian M. Sockey" wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using to
> hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by creating a
> regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using ODBC
> and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and pointing
> it directly to the SQL Server database.
>
> Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works well
> for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you like
> best.
>
> Brian M. Sockey
> www.farsightsolutions.com
>

> "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
> > Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
> > Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
> > obtain the needed information to create the reports.
> > Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
> > on how to use Access to create a report?

0
Cleanitup (4)
10/2/2004 7:45:02 AM
It depends on the type of sql query you are performing on RMS database using
access.
Choose Select query to view data.

Mihir

"Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?
>
> "Brian M. Sockey" wrote:
>

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using
> > hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by
creating a
> > regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using
ODBC
> > and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and
pointing
> > it directly to the SQL Server database.
> >
> > Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works
well
> > for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you like
> > best.
> >
> > Brian M. Sockey
> > www.farsightsolutions.com
> >

> > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
> > > Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
> > > Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
> > > obtain the needed information to create the reports.
> > > Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
> > > on how to use Access to create a report?

0
info9303 (28)
10/3/2004 1:44:36 AM
We run our access programs from a backup database that is copied from the
night before.  Just in case of a corruption problem.

--
Elizabeth M.
"Mihir" <info@diviasoft.com> wrote in message
> It depends on the type of sql query you are performing on RMS database
using
> access.
> Choose Select query to view data.
>
> Mihir
>

> "Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?
> >
> > "Brian M. Sockey" wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Dan,
> > >
> > > You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using
> > > hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by
> creating a
> > > regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using
> ODBC
> > > and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and
> pointing
> > > it directly to the SQL Server database.
> > >
> > > Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works
> well
> > > for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you
like
> > > best.
> > >
> > > Brian M. Sockey
> > > www.farsightsolutions.com
> > >

> > > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
anonymous (74722)
10/4/2004 3:40:16 PM
Brilliant! Thanks for the idea.

"Elizabeth" wrote:

> We run our access programs from a backup database that is copied from the
> night before.  Just in case of a corruption problem.
>
> --
> Elizabeth M.
> "Mihir" <info@diviasoft.com> wrote in message
> > It depends on the type of sql query you are performing on RMS database
> using
> > access.
> > Choose Select query to view data.
> >
> > Mihir
> >

> > "Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?

> > creating a
> > ODBC
> > pointing

> > well
> like

0
Cleanitup (4)
10/4/2004 4:51:04 PM
You are relatively safe if you stick with "select" statements.  A
incorrectly written sql statement can joke your database, eating all
the resources.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing it's better to avoid
"insert-update-delete" statements.

"Mihir" <info@diviasoft.com> wrote in message news:<eb4xAjOqEHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> It depends on the type of sql query you are performing on RMS database using
> access.
> Choose Select query to view data.
>
> Mihir
>

> "Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?
> >
> > "Brian M. Sockey" wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Dan,
> > >
> > > You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using
> > > hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by
>  creating a
> > > regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using
>  ODBC
> > > and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and
>  pointing
> > > it directly to the SQL Server database.
> > >
> > > Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works
>  well
> > > for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you like
> > > best.
> > >
> > > Brian M. Sockey
> > > www.farsightsolutions.com
> > >

> > > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jerrypenna (71)
10/4/2004 6:22:22 PM
Glad it was usefull.

--
Elizabeth M.
> Brilliant! Thanks for the idea.
>
> "Elizabeth" wrote:
>
> > We run our access programs from a backup database that is copied from
the
> > night before.  Just in case of a corruption problem.
> >
> > --
> > Elizabeth M.
> > "Mihir" <info@diviasoft.com> wrote in message
> > > It depends on the type of sql query you are performing on RMS database
> > using
> > > access.
> > > Choose Select query to view data.
> > >
> > > Mihir
> > >

> > > "Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Access?

> > > creating a
> > > ODBC
> > > pointing

> > > well
> > like

0
anonymous (74722)
10/4/2004 7:52:18 PM

The risk of corrupting your SQL Server database while running a report is
practically zip. What happens more often is that security doesn't get set up
properly and users have too many permissions. When using an Access project
(.ADP file), it's very easy to change table schema information, not to
mention the raw data. It's very important to restrict user's permissions to
only what what they need to be able to do. In most cases read-only
permissions to specific tables is enough.

It also doesn't hurt to do what someone else suggested and only use Access
with a backup database.   Of course, that doesn't work if you are trying to
print real-time reports.

Brian M. Sockey
www.farsightsolutions.com

"Cleanitup" <Cleanitup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any danger of corrupting the RMS database when using Access?
>
> "Brian M. Sockey" wrote:
>

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > You just need to point Access to the SQL Server database you are using
> > hold your store or headquarters data.   You can do this either by
creating a
> > regular Access database (mdb file) and connecting to SQL server using
ODBC
> > and linked tables or by creating an Access project (adp file) and
pointing
> > it directly to the SQL Server database.
> >
> > Which method is best depends on the situation but either method works
well
> > for reporting.   I suggest trying both out and seeing which one you like
> > best.
> >
> > Brian M. Sockey
> > www.farsightsolutions.com
> >

> > "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS
> > > Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal
> > > Reports.  But Glenn never said where to point Access to
> > > obtain the needed information to create the reports.
> > > Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info
> > > on how to use Access to create a report?

0
bsockey (7)

Latest MS Visual C++?
I've just been tasked with writing a small MFC program. I'm very out of date with C and mostly clueless with C++ and the MFC. I've got a several year old copy of Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition and managed to install it with no problems. What's the latest version? Any good place to go find an overview of APIs and tools? Thanks, -- Knute Johnson email s/nospam/knute/ Molon labe... Visual C++ 6.0 is very great software for learning how to do program C, C++ and MFC. you could buy few good books at amazon. BMXer. On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:48:41 -0800, Knut...

Using wildcards w/ sumproduct
I'm not familiar with wildcards in formulas, and I can't seem to figure out exactly what to do here. If the first 3 letters in cells of column A contain FPC, then sum corresponding rows in column P, then by the total number of cells in column AT where the first 3 letters are FPC. =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A20014,3*(closed!$A$3:$A$20003="FPC"))),(closed!$P$3:$P$20003)/SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A20014,3*(closed!$AT$3:$AT$20003="FPC"))))) Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanx, ~Julz Hi if I understood you correctly try =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(closed!$A$3:$A$20003)=&qu...

Can't see Smartlist report
I've built a simple smartlist from the smartlist builder (vr 9.0) that doesn't show up in the smartlist. After building the smartlist, under options, I've check the box to "Display in ReportList". I've run the Smartlist Maint to refresh the cache and I have full security. I don't know where to go next. Thanks Merle: You have to also go into SmartList security and grant yourself (or anyone else you want to see the report) access to it. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Merle, Have you granted access to that SmartLi...

How can I find out which apps are using .NET and which not?
I appear to have three versions of .NET (2, 3, 3.5) with their associated special packs. How can I find out which apps are using .NET. (Please, no 'cut-one-out' method, I do not want to uninstall and see what has stopped working.) I am aware that the different .NETS are individually and separately usable by different apps - my questions is what app uses which? Thanks for any pointers occam wrote: > I appear to have three versions of .NET (2, 3, 3.5) with their > associated special packs. > > How can I find out which apps are using .NET. (Please, no 'c...

Discounts Report
where can i find the discounts report 1: SO 2: HQ ? -- Moh'D Abdel-Hadi Exhortech Business Solutions hi Mohd, There is no specific report for discount however you can pull most of the report in report viewer and there is toolbar 4th button and then add the discount column by selecting the column name. Some reports have hidden column but you no need to worry and add the column or customized little bit the .grp file. Let me know if you need such reports I have bunch of reports and will send you please forward your email to me. "Moh''''D Abdel-Hadi" wrote...

Using the Google Calendar .net API from an Access application
I have a scheduling/calendar application in access. I also use Goggle calendar. Would it be possible to use .net from Access to send my schedular entries to my Goggle calendar? OP <OP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a scheduling/calendar application in access. I also use Goggle >calendar. Would it be possible to use .net from Access to send my schedular >entries to my Goggle calendar? It might be possible but you'd have to do a lot of digging through the Google calendar documentation looking for the various APIs and figuring out how to execu...

Outlook using RPC over HTTP and Passwords
We have implemented mandatory password changes every 60 days and the remote users with Outlook over http and not given an opportunity to change the password when it expires. After the 60 days they can't get in and I need to change their password on the server. Is there something I need to do? or fix? VPN users are being prompted to change their passwords and can change them themselves. -- Regards Chris Can they change them from OWA? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/...

copying a MS word text doc to the cilpboard
I can copy & paste from e-mail , Internet articles or ms word docs saved in word format. I cannot copy & paste text saved in MS Word that are saved as a text file. Any suggestions? Why not? What is preventing you from doing that? On the other hand, a true Text file(.txt) can be opened with NotePad, or WordPad and Word is unnecessary. William Payne wrote: > I can copy & paste from e-mail , Internet articles or ms word docs saved in > word format. I cannot copy & paste text saved in MS Word that are saved as a > text file. > Any suggestions? ...

FWD: Use pack
--nozugocqswhapz Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ocmbostjnqamcd"; type="multipart/alternative" --ocmbostjnqamcd Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wtcazseafbqr" --wtcazseafbqr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to prote...

CRM portal to view customers (not service portal)
Hi, Is there any addon , which make it possible for partners to access CRM and update the status of customers. Is there any work around or way ? PS" i am not talking about viewing cases and service portal from 360 ". regards / Aami Hi Aami, One of the work around would entail programming and it would be to use Web Services to access your MS CRM data on the portal and modify the status of the customers. What are the areas which you are looking to edit over the portal? Is it only customers you are looking forward to viewing and maybe editing? It should not be too difficult f...

Mac and MS Sharepoint
Trying to get a sharepoint server solution running in our creative (marketing & web) department.. of course with designers in our group, we have some who use MACs... trying to figure out for certain before we invest what the limits of usability are that will effect them... The System Requirements for Sharepoint server makes a distinction: that Macs using IE or Netscape can get "Portal Access", but not "Portal Management".. I understand the basics of what that mean, but at what level is that? Can they create sub-sites, but cannot alter the design of a template? Can th...

Using a form instead of a parameter query.
We are using Access 2007. There are several parameters that my db users have to input to "filter" the data that will complete reports for the agency. I have no trouble using date fields on a form that allows the user to define the date range. However, the users need to specify foreign key fields (long int.) and I wish them to enter more than one value in the field at one time. Using the In () operator works fine on the query itself, but how can I have the users type several integers in a text box on a form that will form the parameter for the query? Any ideas? And than...

CRM 1.2 exam for customers
Is certification available for customers or is this only available for partners. I've read many of these postings in regards to the exam and many people mentioned getting the study material straight from Microsft rather than take the courses...how would a customer go about getting the study material? Thanks Yes, starting July 1, 2004, customers will be able to take a Microsoft Business Solutions exam at Pearson VUE or Prometric testing centers. "Jen Selmeyer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb2901c4390d$f3ef7090$a501280a@phx.gbl... >...

Is there a Print Preview without using the Preview app?
Is there a way to see what a document will look like on a printed page while working within Office? I know I can do Print>Preview, but that views the document in Preview, not in Office. "Office" is a suite of applications programs - knowing which of those programs you're referring to would make it a bit easier to answer your question:) In general, however, Office never has done the printing & the current Apple guidelines for printing allow for the apps to no longer have to provide a preview service which was [and is] generated by the OS & printer driver in the first ...

Access 2000 /Jet/ BLOB/mdb file structure
Could someone direct me to a reference which gives a byte-level description of mdb files written by MS Access 2000, including whatever native internal variables or pointers there are and their typical locations? Thank you. Richard Bonomo rbonomoXXX@madisonwaterYYY.orgZZZ_drop_caps Richard Bonomo <Richard Bonomo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Could someone direct me to a reference which gives a byte-level description >of mdb files written by MS Access 2000, including whatever native internal >variables or pointers there are and their typical locations? Thank you. Mi...

Business Unit Form Customizations
Does anyone know any way to modify the BU form and add custom fields to it? I know the SDK says it is not possible. Seems weird that that form you could not add some customization. Any reason why not. There are some entities that they chose to flag as "System" entities. These can't be modified in a supported manner. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "JP123" <JP123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D7D93FF-447A-4696-B1EA-E5A1A43F34D2@microsoft.com... Does anyone know any way to modify the BU form and add custom fields to it? I know the S...

Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Guide 09-01-06
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Guide CRM Basics,CRM Objectives,CRM Types :: Operational CRM , Analytical CRM ,Collaborative CRM, CRM Implementation ,CRM Technical Functionalities ,Popular CRM's :: SugarCRM ,vTiger CRM , Daffodil CRM ,Future of CRM http://flying-rugs.com/crm/CRM.html ...

print some pages in a report n times
I have a report of employees by department by state. Some departments have more than one head, I want to print each department once for each head so that the report can then be separated and mailed to each head by the mailing house. The report of all departments contains over 2000 pages and 390 departments with 460 heads. I would like this all in the report as the number of heads changes from time to time. I have a field in the report that is Y for department heads and so I can count the department heads at the time of printing. I have also VB code that gives me the number of pages for ...

CRM usage reports #2
What would be the best way to generate CRM usage reports, like - which users/business units make heavier use of the CRM - what are the crm's "most visited" areas - what are the peek hours or seasonality patterns in usage, etc. These reports could be used to help make decisions about hardware upgrades in advance and things like that Should these reports be based on IIS logs, SQL Server ones, or something entirely different? I think the CRM IIS log would be the best for your analysis needs. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Apr 2, 5:34=A0pm, v...

Business Portal and Custom SQL Queries? And KPIs?
Hi, GP8.0, SQL2000, BP2.5 I have a bunch of queries I created that return info specific to our needs. I was hoping to use BP to display the info that these queries return, however I don't see how to do this. * Is this something that BP allows? Or is there a way to do it? * I want to create various reports and an overall scorecard to display. * and how can I display KPI's? When my partner sold us the system he demo's KPIs and it was one of the things that sold me, but I see that KPIs is not listed as a module we own. THanks, Jason ------=_NextPart_0001_B5208CD0 Content-Typ...

Adding Custom Signature
I know how to add a signature but am wondering how do I go about adding a custom signature with an image added? Do I need a separate program to do this? No, it should work in Outlook. What version? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting http://www.microsoft.co...

Corrupt emails when using multipart content types
I am running Exchange 2003 with latest SPs and am running into a very strange problem. When we receive certain emails, the contents of the messages have been corrupted. Exclamation points (!) seem to appear randomly in the text (usually an exclamation point followed by a space). The messages both contain HTML and TEXT content, the header is: Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_365D_01C59758.21CA9D10" The text version content type is: ------=_NextPart_000_365D_01C59758.21CA9D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Tr...

MS Money Old Files
I have been runing MS Money 97 the file format is .mmy, I have a new computer and upgraded to Microsoft Money Essentials. But now I can't seem to get my old files to transfer over. How can I save my old files so that they can be used by the new program or I am out of luck and have to stick with MS Money 97?? MEss does not deal with existing Money files. It's strictly for new Money users who don't really want to go to the trouble to manage their finances but want to think they are doing something along those lines. Upgrade to Deluxe. You'll be happier. And you'll be ...

error accessing CRM from custom web page
I created a simple aspx page to create a new contact in CRM, however I keep getting an http error "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized." I guess the it's because username/password I am using is not authorized in CRM... I disabled anonynous access in IIS but still it doesn't work. Is there any trick to make it accessible? Or to use a different user Thanks Are you using the CUserAuth object?? Are you using the System.Net.CredentitalCache Just make sure to specify a valid GUID for both the UserId and MerchantId that CUserAuth requires. The System.Net calls ...

South African MS Money Users
Is there any MS Money x users in South Africa? Abri Theart Pretoria abrit@telkomsa.net I'm a South African that uses Microsoft Money 2003 "Abri Theart" <abrit@telkomsa.net> wrote in message news:c5er4t$8vp$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net... > Is there any MS Money x users in South Africa? > > Abri Theart > Pretoria > abrit@telkomsa.net > > greate to hear from you. I use Money standard 2004. May I ask you a question? How do you set up your and your wifes payslip? or two payslips for that matter (in you bank account) and in Budget? Do you duplicate Regular...