Adding Barcode at time of sale??

We create our manufacturer pre-barcoded items using a dummy item number which
we then replace by wanding the item with the Operations Manager item window
open and the dummy # highlighted. If we forget to do that in advance, POS
will not recognize the barcode when we sell the item so we have to do an item
lookup to find it. Taking time to go into Manager at that point is alittle
awkward with the customer waiting.

Is there a way to replace the dummy item number in POS, during the sale??
--
WineGuy
0

The Item Properties window in POS is essentially identical to the one in
manager.  Once you find the item, click "Properties" and you will see
the window where you can make updates.  If you don't see this option it
is because it has been disabled (probably not a bad idea by the way) by
using the Security features built into RMS.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

PRJ wrote:
> We create our manufacturer pre-barcoded items using a dummy item number which
> we then replace by wanding the item with the Operations Manager item window
> open and the dummy # highlighted. If we forget to do that in advance, POS
> will not recognize the barcode when we sell the item so we have to do an item
> lookup to find it. Taking time to go into Manager at that point is alittle
> awkward with the customer waiting.
>
> Is there a way to replace the dummy item number in POS, during the sale??
0
glenn9672 (1267)
3/15/2007 9:21:00 PM
Kindof a two-edge-sword answer there.  Why is it 'not a bad idea' for this
option to be disabled? What risk do I run if it is functional?
--
WineGuy

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> The Item Properties window in POS is essentially identical to the one in
> manager.  Once you find the item, click "Properties" and you will see
> the window where you can make updates.  If you don't see this option it
> is because it has been disabled (probably not a bad idea by the way) by
> using the Security features built into RMS.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> PRJ wrote:
> > We create our manufacturer pre-barcoded items using a dummy item number which
> > we then replace by wanding the item with the Operations Manager item window
> > open and the dummy # highlighted. If we forget to do that in advance, POS
> > will not recognize the barcode when we sell the item so we have to do an item
> > lookup to find it. Taking time to go into Manager at that point is alittle
> > awkward with the customer waiting.
> >
> > Is there a way to replace the dummy item number in POS, during the sale??

0
PRJ (86)
3/16/2007 1:13:02 AM
It's an operational decision.  Do you really want your cashiers to be
able to change item properties at the POS?  In a high volume store, you
probably want them to stay head down ringing sales.  If check-out speed
is not so critical and if your cashiers are highly trained and highly
trusted you may want to allow them more power.  If the Item properties
have been blocked at POS, it was done for a reason; by default RMS
allows everything.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

PRJ wrote:
> Kindof a two-edge-sword answer there.  Why is it 'not a bad idea' for this
> option to be disabled? What risk do I run if it is functional?
0
glenn9672 (1267)
3/16/2007 3:37:51 PM
In our currect situation access is OK (and the function was not blocked in
the original set-up). I suppose the better way, though, is to have cashiers
keep a list of items that need to be looked up and then do the changes in a
more comntrolled way.

It's probable the answer is NO but, if we keep the function accessible, is
there a record in the database of changes that might be made this way?

Thanks.
--
WineGuy

"Glenn Adams [MVP - Retail Mgmt]" wrote:

> It's an operational decision.  Do you really want your cashiers to be
> able to change item properties at the POS?  In a high volume store, you
> probably want them to stay head down ringing sales.  If check-out speed
> is not so critical and if your cashiers are highly trained and highly
> trusted you may want to allow them more power.  If the Item properties
> have been blocked at POS, it was done for a reason; by default RMS
> allows everything.
>
> Glenn Adams
> Tiber Creek Consulting
> http://www.tibercreek.com
> glenn@tibercreek.com
> newsgroup so that all can share the information.
>

> PRJ wrote:
> > Kindof a two-edge-sword answer there.  Why is it 'not a bad idea' for this
> > option to be disabled? What risk do I run if it is functional?

0
PRJ (86)
3/16/2007 5:59:08 PM
No, most data changes in RMS are not audited.  POS Functions that can be
tied to a Transaction are linked to the Cashier that performed that
transaction, but an item property change would not be.

Glenn Adams
Tiber Creek Consulting
http://www.tibercreek.com
glenn@tibercreek.com

PRJ wrote:
> In our currect situation access is OK (and the function was not blocked in
> the original set-up). I suppose the better way, though, is to have cashiers
> keep a list of items that need to be looked up and then do the changes in a
> more comntrolled way.
>
> It's probable the answer is NO but, if we keep the function accessible, is
> there a record in the database of changes that might be made this way?
>
> Thanks.
0
glenn9672 (1267)

Adding Short Positions to an Investment Account
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C4AF68.0CACFE60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I recently started using Money 2005. I have a brokerage account that = does not support online synchronization with Money 2005.=20 There are two short positions in this account which I am trying to add = to Money after creating a new investment account. 300 shares short of XYZ 100 shares short of ABC How do I add these opening short positions ?=20 I tried the following but failed - Add Shares (-300) o...

Using an office program to replace an adding machine and tape
Our business uses adding machines on desks next to computers to create balancing tapes involving counting cash and checks (bookkeeping). Is there a program in office that can replace these conventional adding machines, creating a print out tape as well? Someone said that excel's formula function taxcal may be used for this, does anyone know what the best way it? Thank-you! On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:24:01 -0700, jimtmcdaniels <jimtmcdaniels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Our business uses adding machines on desks next to computers to create >balancing tapes involving c...

wireless network has to be started every time
We switched our wireless encryption from WEP to WPA and I must've done something wrong. But now we need to start the utility every time we boot the PC. Read the over air links, instructions very carefully made several tries, but still not able to get the wireless to come up every time we boot. So where do we put the execution of utility for booting. Anyone got any ideas? TIA -- ____________________________________ In Christ's matchless name ted & colleen n6trf kc6rue This newsgroup is for discussions about Microsoft Access, a relational ...

Time calc formula please.
Can you please tell me what the formula for this is please. A1 (start time) 0800 A2 (end time) 1515 A5 (total hrs=) 7.25 I need the formula for A5 TIA =24*(TEXT(A2,"00\:00")-TEXT(A1,"00\:00")) It would have been easier if you had put in your times as times, 08:00 and 15:15 -- David Biddulph "Mario" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message news:LAiun.17421$pv.7144@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > > Can you please tell me what the formula for this is please. > > A1 (start time) 0800 > A2 (end time) ...

DPM 2010 Adding Resource Fails
I have a protection group that includes multiple Hyper-V VMs on a CSV. The DPM server has 2 SAN disks in the storage pool each being 2TB. DPM shows 2092.57GB of unallocated space but will not allow me to add any additional resources to the protection group. Throws the following error: Modify protection group: Hyper-V failed: Error 360: The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error Error details: VdsError:The specified disk extent size exceeds the size of free disk space. (0x80042515) Recommended action: Retry the operation. I just tried creating a new Protection Gr...

after saving to cd many times. now says read only?
i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my hard drive? nsturre wrote: > i have saved many times to my cd. i overwrite it almost daily (CD-RW) all of > a sudden it now say's the file is read only. although i can still save to my > hard drive? Unless you have formatted your CDRW for packet writing, then yes, it will be Read only. CDROM = CD Read Only Memory! -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Just ...

quiry adding another field calculated from the existing fields
if I have a table of transactions on a bank account with two fileds: Field_1 holds the date of the transaction Field_2 holds the amount of the transaction What would be the quiry which would add the third filed Field_3 containing the balance on the account which is calculated as the value from the previous line of Field_3 less Filed_2 from the current line? You've no need to store the balances in a column in the base table, nor should you do so as it introduces redundancy and the risk of inconsistent data. The balances can be computed on the fly in query like so: SELECT Field_1, ...

Calculating Elapsed Time
How do I calculate elapsed time in a simple query when the starting time is before 00:00 and the end time after 00:00 ... all I'm getting at the moment is a negative number? Use the DateDiff function for the two values in question. -- Bruce "Machyde" wrote: > How do I calculate elapsed time in a simple query when the starting time is > before 00:00 and the end time after 00:00 ... all I'm getting at the moment > is a negative number? A date time is store as a floating point number, but around 0, there is something different than the way float...

adding combo to toolbar
Hi, I want to put a combo box on a toolbar. The following is my code. The combobox showed, but the size is not enlarged, it still the same size as other toolbar button. Can any one tell me how to fix this? Thanks int nToolBtnCnt = pToolBar->GetToolBarCtrl().GetButtonCount(); //convert last button to a seperator and get its position RECT lastBtnRect; UINT nID, nStyle; int nImage; pToolBar->GetButtonInfo( nToolBtnCnt-1, nID, nStyle, nImage ); pToolBar->SetButtonInfo( nToolBtnCnt-1, nID, TBBS_SEPARATOR, 160 ); pToolBar->GetItemRect( nToolBtnCnt-1, &lastBtnRect ); //expand the...

Adding external recipient to a DL
I'm running EX2000. I have thousands of account in AD that are not mail enabled. These users are non employess that have AD accounts in order to access web apps. I do not want to mail enble these accounts casue they are not employess, just business partners. All these accounts have an smtp address specified under the general tab. I want to be able to create a DL, and use each users smtp to populate the DL but I can't add them to a DL cause they are not mail enabled and/or they are not "contacts". Any ideas, utilities, scripts? ...

Store Operations - Reports
I run this report in Store Operations Manager and selected to Show Column 'Profit Margin' and saved as a memorized report. Tried to run the report and although profit margin column appears alright, the Overall Profit Margin does not look correct. I opened the underlying file 'Sales - Detailed Sales Report.qrp' and discovered the following definition for the column with fieldname 'ProfitMargin' GroupMethod = groupmethodAverage I think that getting the Average of the individual items Profit Margin to arrive at the overall Profit Margin for the selected rep...

portfolio value over time
I run Money 2004 and i can't do some things i think are really basic - main two (related issues) that bother me are: 1) is there any way to view the value of my entire investment portfolio over time (e.g. as a chart showing basically just price * volume of shares i own for each investment, combined to show all investments together)? 2) is there any way to view price history for all my holdings as an indexed value (0% at the start growing up or down based on % change in price) as opposed to absolute value? Some shares are $20 each some are $200 each - doesn't make sense to sho...

Adding valitation list
Is it possible to add valitaion list that contains same addres in every different worksheet in my workbook and uptates it automatically when i add new worksheet. ...

Can I enter a 24 hour time without typing colon?
I am an inexperienced Excel user. I have a new job assignment where I have to enter a lot of data in spreadsheets. A lot of the data is time in 24 hour format such as 16:00 for 4pm. I am using the number pad and have to continually shift to the keyboard to enter the colon. The cells are formated for the 24 hour time. Is there a way I can just enter the four digits and have the colon inserted automatically without having to type the colon in? This would be similar to formating for currency or accouting where the decimal point and the commas are inserted automatically. See http...

Help adding word doc to excel tab?
Here is the deal. I have an expense report procedure written in word and the expense report itself is in Excel. Boss loves it and oh by the way can you add the Word procedures document into an Excel tab. My answer was sure and now I have farted around with it way to long. Sure can be humbling when what you though you knew wasn't really known at all. I have tried inserting an object, browsing, and picking the word document. Appears to work but only grabs the 1st page of the word doc. I have tried all sorts of things and I won't even mention most of them because all I manage to get fro...

Free/Busy time not showing on any computer
Hello, Just finished putting SBS 2003 and Exchange 2003 together. For some reason, whenever one user tries to schedule an appointment with another, the Free/Busy time doesn't show up. I already check the settings on Outlook 2003 itself under tools --> options --> calendar options --> Free/Busy options, it says that the calendar (next two months) will be published. Please advise. Thanks. 1. Send a test calendar entry/appointment to all users (somewhere in decemer 2006), make everyone accept and delete it; 2. Install SBS 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP2; 3. You can increase the ...

Long Reconnect Times w/Multi-Users?
This is a variation on my prior attempt at a thread "App Runs Slower w/2 Users Than w/1?". Front end on C:, back end on a LAN file server. Code to reconnect tables runs in about 2.5 seconds when I'm the only one logged in to the front end. But when one other person has their copy of the front end up and running, that same re-connect process takes 207 seconds. It's not a religious issue bc the only time that process runs is when I prep the front end for distribution before elevating a new version. OTOH, if the reconnects are that slow... I wonder if the rest of the app is...

how to get the system setup time.
I want to get the system setup time. but this code didn't work! CreateFile always return -1, and the error code is 0x00000005!(Access is denied.) TCHAR path[MAX_PATH]; if (GetWindowsDirectory(path, MAX_PATH)==0) break; HANDLE h = CreateFile(path, GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL); if (h==INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) break; // always return Access is denied.! FILETIME ft1, ft2, ft3; if (!GetFileTime(h, &ft1, &ft2, &ft3)) break; thank you ! Buried in the MSDN documentation for the CreateFile function, there...

Excel 2003 =now() is returning wrong time on terminal server
We have Excel 2003 installed on our Terminal Server/Citrix box. The servers are in the EST timezone and work fine for EST clients. When CST clients (or any other timezone than EST) uses a worksheet with =NOW, it computes time from EST. We've had to use the formula =now()-0.042 to compensate. This problem is specific to Excel as Word, IE and even typing in 'Time' from the command prompt returns the correct time computed with the Central time zone. How do I correct this? thanks Pete "Peter J. Dickason, MCSE" <NOSPAMPeterdotDickasonatAirgasdotcom@email.c...

adding mfc control to win32 app
Hi, is it possible to add mfc or atl control to win32 c++ application without recreating project? I nedd listbox with history support, so doing that in straight c++ would be hard I guess. thanks Yes, it's hard work. But, all of these situation, we can use the DLL. create the MFC dll and make Control inside of that DLL. and you can use it by LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress. -- WebSite : Realization of Dream { imagine your dream} - http://rodream.net WebMail : rodream@naver.com "Bob" wrote: > Hi, > is it possible to add mfc or atl control to win32 c++ applic...

Setting up Outlook for the first time
I'm lost trying to setup my email address for the first time w/ outlook, I was told you could link to my yahoo email but I don't know how to do that? Is it possible? If you are using a paid Yahoo! account, check their email help files. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Justin-Lost asked: | I'm lost trying to setup my email address for the first time w/ | outlook, I...

Scan Barcode and tab key
Using Access 2003, I have a data entry form that will be using with wireless barcode scanning. This form has 3 fields: PartNumber, SerialNumber, and OrderNumber. I would like to set these 3 fields with an automatically moving cursor to the next field as when data is scanned in without pressing enter or tab key. This form is on the network for multiple computers. Due to the difference in length of data being inputted, so therefore I can't have a fix input mask to each field. I have set below code on the On Change event for each field, but it doesn't work ------- Privat...

exceed message size problem 2nd time
for outlook 2003 and sbs2003 with exchange 6.5 2nd time this happened. originally outlook not able to send large attachment email, message was that size exceeded the users limit............... changed all the many places in exchange to allow size needed, didn't solve the problem, so deleted the outlook profile from the control panel mail, recreated the outlook profile and all was good for about a month then the problem comes back. i can send the large emails for the same user with a mail account set up in outlook express, so i think the exchange settings are ok. does outlook periodi...

Sales Customer/Vendor Relationship deletion
I added a customer/vendor relationship in the Sales module in error and want to remove/delete the relationship. I am having difficulty trying to accomplish this... Any ideas? Our company is using GP 8.0 SP3. Thanks! Bring up the customer/vendor relationship, select the relationship you want to delete. Go to 'edit' (on the menu bar) and then Delete Row. LV "MurphyP" wrote: > I added a customer/vendor relationship in the Sales module in error and want > to remove/delete the relationship. I am having difficulty trying to > accomplish this... > Any ideas...

adding new records
I have an invoice template that I fill in and with the use of VLOOKUP take the information and put it into a record on another worksheet. Can someone tell me how I start a new invoice so the new information will go into a new record and not merely overwrite the previous record Thank you in advance You don't say how you are doing this If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "dick23" <dick...