TNEF attachment problem

A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number of
clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments, his
netbook is having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by
Outlook Express 6.
Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is formatting
the messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook, I can receive
the same emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they are correctly
decoded.
The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I
think), and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel attachment,
old format, the filename is correct and the content type is
application/vnd.ms-excel.
It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his
netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
Thanks
Dave

0
Dave
12/7/2009 3:04:37 PM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Your personal experience nothwithstanding, OL users will need to send
messages with attachments to OE users using Plain Text format to avoid such
problems, period.

cf. http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/HP011164871033.aspx
cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061
cf. http://www.pchell.com/support/winmaildat.shtml
cf.
http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Prevent_Winmail_dat_Attachments_from_Being_Sent_in_Outlook.htm
cf.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=attachment+%2B+%22winmail.dat%22&go=&form=QBLH

Dave Bolt wrote:
> A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number of
> clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments, his
> netbook is having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by
> Outlook Express 6.
> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is
> formatting
> the messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook, I can
> receive
> the same emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they are correctly
> decoded.
> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I
> think), and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel attachment,
> old format, the filename is correct and the content type is
> application/vnd.ms-excel.
> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his
> netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).

0
PA
12/7/2009 3:37:00 PM

"Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
[...]
:
:

0
Tom
12/7/2009 3:39:12 PM
Do not send messages in RTF format to OE users. This issue  experienced Outlook
users are aware of it. Either have them send it in Text format or HTML. OE cannot
read Outlook's RTF (Rich Text Formatting)

--
Peter

"Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number of clients
>all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments, his netbook is
>having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by Outlook Express 6.
> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is formatting the
> messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook, I can receive the same
> emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they are correctly decoded.
> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I think), and
> to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel attachment, old format, the
> filename is correct and the content type is application/vnd.ms-excel.
> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his netbook,
> since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
> Thanks
> Dave

0
Peter
12/7/2009 5:00:22 PM
Thanks for the replies folks.
To re-iterate, I went through all the stuff about plain text, rich text and
HTML format, makes no difference to this problem installation of OE6.
Also, exactly the same messages are received and decoded properly in OE6 on
another machine, and the problem machine only started having problems a
couple of days ago.
There is definitely more to see here.
Regards
Dave

> Do not send messages in RTF format to OE users. This issue  experienced
> Outlook users are aware of it. Either have them send it in Text format or
> HTML. OE cannot read Outlook's RTF (Rich Text Formatting)
>
> --
> Peter

> "Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number of
>>clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments, his
>>netbook is having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by
>>Outlook Express 6.
>> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is
>> formatting the messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook,
>> I can receive the same emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they
>> are correctly decoded.
>> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I
>> think), and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel
>> attachment, old format, the filename is correct and the content type is
>> application/vnd.ms-excel.
>> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his
>> netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
>> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
>> Thanks
>> Dave

0
Dave
12/7/2009 6:12:54 PM
What are you set to. Western European or UTF or ?  Go to OE \Format\Encoding and
make sure you are set to Western European

--
Peter

> Thanks for the replies folks.
> To re-iterate, I went through all the stuff about plain text, rich text and HTML
> format, makes no difference to this problem installation of OE6.
> Also, exactly the same messages are received and decoded properly in OE6 on
> another machine, and the problem machine only started having problems a couple of
> days ago.
> There is definitely more to see here.
> Regards
> Dave
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do not send messages in RTF format to OE users. This issue  experienced Outlook
>> users are aware of it. Either have them send it in Text format or HTML. OE cannot
>> read Outlook's RTF (Rich Text Formatting)
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number of
>>>clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments, his
>>>netbook is having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by Outlook
>>>Express 6.
>>> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is formatting the
>>> messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook, I can receive the same
>>> emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they are correctly decoded.
>>> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I think),
>>> and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel attachment, old format,
>>> the filename is correct and the content type is application/vnd.ms-excel.
>>> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his
>>> netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
>>> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave

0
Peter
12/7/2009 6:42:03 PM
There is an option in Outlook at the Contact level where the sender can
mark the recipient to receive messages in plain text.  This sender has
apparently done that for you but not the other user. who gets the
Winmail.dat files.

There is no setting in OE that would convert the Winmail.dat file to a
readable content type you get.  It has to be done on the sender's end.

For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef

Also at the above link is information on several utilities that can be
used to recover the attachment if the problem can't be fixed at the
sender's end.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a
> number of clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with
> attachments, his netbook is having a problem with the attachments not
> being decoded by Outlook Express 6.
> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is
> formatting the messages, and all the other standard stuff about
> Outlook, I can receive the same emails in my copy of Outlook Express
> 6, and they are correctly decoded.
> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I
> think), and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel
> attachment, old format, the filename is correct and the content type
> is application/vnd.ms-excel.
> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on
> his netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
> Thanks
> Dave

0
Michael
12/7/2009 8:46:52 PM
Repost w/emphasis:

Dave Bolt wrote:
> Thanks for the replies folks.
> To re-iterate, I went through all the stuff about plain text, rich text
> and
> HTML format, makes no difference to this problem installation of OE6.
> Also, exactly the same messages are received and decoded properly in OE6
> on
> another machine, and the problem machine only started having problems a
> couple of days ago.
> There is definitely more to see here.
> Regards
> Dave
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do not send messages in RTF format to OE users. This issue  experienced
>> Outlook users are aware of it. Either have them send it in Text format or
>> HTML. OE cannot read Outlook's RTF (Rich Text Formatting)
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> A client of mine is using Outlook 2007 on his main PC, and has a number
>>> of
>>> clients all using Outlook 2007. When emails are sent with attachments,
>>> his
>>> netbook is having a problem with the attachments not being decoded by
>>> Outlook Express 6.
>>> Now, before you jump in and say to change the way that Outlook is
>>> formatting the messages, and all the other standard stuff about Outlook,
>>> I can receive the same emails in my copy of Outlook Express 6, and they
>>> are correctly decoded.
>>> The raw message data on his netbook refers to the winmail.dat file (I
>>> think), and to tnef encoding. On mine, in the case of an Excel
>>> attachment, old format, the filename is correct and the content type is
>>> application/vnd.ms-excel.
>>> It seems that something has happened to the content type mappings on his
>>> netbook, since it was working just fine until sometime last week.
>>> Any suggestions? (Prefer not to reinstall the netbook).
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave

0
PA
12/8/2009 7:29:27 AM
Thanks again everyone.
I can confirm that all senders have been sending using the same settings
they have always been sending so the emails should have been received and
attachments decoded properly.
Did not happen.
Tried all the options again. (Thought Peter's comment about the language
encoding might have been the problem, but no joy there either).
Finally decided it was time to reinstall the operating system and start from
scratch, when we noticed that my client has a three user copy of Office, and
was only using one copy, so we installed Outlook onto the machine.
Problem solved.
Incidentally, Michael's suggestion about setting an individual recipient's
default to plain text does not solve this case. For one thing, this client
wouldn't know where to start before I told him about it.
Anyway, thanks again.
Dave
> Repost w/emphasis:
>
> *Your personal experience nothwithstanding*, OL users will need to send
> messages with attachments to OE users using Plain Text format to avoid
> such
> problems, period.
>

> Dave Bolt wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies folks.
>> To re-iterate, I went through all the stuff about plain text, rich text
>> and
>> HTML format, makes no difference to this problem installation of OE6.
>> Also, exactly the same messages are received and decoded properly in OE6
>> on
>> another machine, and the problem machine only started having problems a
>> couple of days ago.
>> There is definitely more to see here.
>> Regards
>> Dave
>>
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Do not send messages in RTF format to OE users. This issue  experienced
>>> Outlook users are aware of it. Either have them send it in Text format
>>> or
>>> HTML. OE cannot read Outlook's RTF (Rich Text Formatting)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
>>>
>>> "Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

0
Dave

Attachment in Email Template
Hi, Can we insert attachment file in the email template? Regards, Abraham ...

Read/Write INI on Program File Vista Problem
I have a VB6 program that reads application settings from INI file... until now most users used the app on Win XP and there is big hassle running the program on Vista as Program File under Vista is Read Only... Under Vista users manually copies the INI file to Writeable directory like Documents; edit the INI file and then copy it back to Program Files thus rendering changing application settings through the VB app impossible. I would like to change program settings from INI to say egistry. But I don't know how to to go about this. Can VB6 create registry keys for an app duri...

Further Show Hide Problem with VBA
Hi again! Bob kindly gave me a suggestion for using VBA to show /hide using a single button. This worked fine until I decided I wanted to have another custom area off to the side. The problem being that when I try to return from this third view not all rows columns are showing. I thought I might get round this by including an unhide for all rows and columns to create a normal view to go from but then the toggle views don't seem to do anything. Any help greatly appreciated DonH Call Unl Application.ScreenUpdating = False Rows("25:75").EntireRow.Hidden = Not Rows(&qu...

Problems when opening in Publisher 2003 vs 2007
I have a file someone sent me that when opening it in Publisher 2003, it appears as a long narrow strip with 8% zoom. However, when I open the same file in Publisher 2007, it appears as it should. They only have Publisher 2003. Is there something that needs to be changed in 2003 so that the file appears correctly? -- shel What happens if you re-save the document? Publisher 2003 will open 2007 publications. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "shel" <shel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8444042F-56E8-4390-A00D-FBFB155903F5@microsof...

Solution to ALL Office Problems on mac
Hey guys, I have been using a mac for a while now and have encountered numerous problems such as errors when saving my files and such. I recently found a website selling an alternative for the entire office suite. Since they are having a sale right now I figured, hey why not just try it out. And I must say that I am pleasantly suprised. For only 29$, I received an office suite with more features than Office (including a PDF creator/reader etc) and have not encountered a single problem using the suite. (It is 100% Office compatible!) Anyway, I thought it would be nice to share this with yo...

Outlook 2002 sound problem
I am trying to get Outlook to play a cool .wav file I downloaded for when I receive new mail. I went to the sounds section under the control panel and I set the "new mail" notification to play the .wav file, but when I get new mail, it still just beeps at me. Can anyone help? Robert Double check the list of events. In my list there were multiple New Mail type events. Assign the sound to all of them as a test. <lgrier@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:EGINe.798$ZD4.668@bignews3.bellsouth.net... >I am trying to get Outlook to play a cool .wav file I downloaded ...

pictures and attachments
when i view an attachment it will show text but no pictures...I can not figure out what i have done to make this happen...if a picture is in the body of the email i can view it but i can not get the attachment to work??? thanks ...

FYI
FYI to anyone who has Ex2003 SP1. I came across this problem on my server and the hotfix resolved it. Note: I didn't have the exact problem described because my messages were getting stuck in the "Local delivery" queue, not the "Messages pending submission" queue and I never got any error events, but nonetheless the hotfix corrected it. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=843545 Digitally signed messages remain in the Messages pending submission queue and are not delivered in Exchange Server 2003 SP1 -- Sincerely, Martin MCSA: M I ran into the same problem, t...

Problems with print preview and printing single page of multi-page report w/sub-reports
Hi All, I've come across a problem with previewing and printing reports in Access 2000 that I can't figure out, and hope someone can help. The problem report is set up with a page header, detail, and page footer. The information in the page header/footer sections is static. Within the detail are a group of controls, two of which are sub-reports. Of the two sub-reports, one in particular appears to be the problem (I'll call it SubA). SubA can shrink and grow and the controls in its detail can shrink/grow also. What I'm noticing is that sometimes the last line of text...

Subclass hiding method problem.
Hi guys, I can't wrap my head around this problem. I have two classes in a DLL that inherit from each other. They both have a method called Delete but with different parameters. If I have an instance of the subclass and try to call the delete that's defined in the superclass the compiler says "function does not take 0 arguments" here are the definitions class DllExport LSDBTable { public: bool Delete(); }; class DllExport LSDBOtherTable : public LSDBTable { public: bool Delete(long RecNo); }; void main() { LSDBOtherTable Table; ... Table.Delete...

Outlook 2002 and 2003 problem
I'm trying again in hopes to get this problem fixed. I've tried many suggestions from googled searches to no avail. Weird Outlook 2002 and 2003 problem. If I start a message from within Outlook and attach a file it sends normally, but if I try and send by hitting the 'email' button from within Word or Excel (filling in the pertinent info and hit send), or if I go to a file or picture and do a R-click send to mail. They just end up in Outlook's outbox and will not send no matter how many times I hit 'send and receive'. -- "I don't cheat to survive. ...

OWA Password changing problem -- Information goes missing between aex2b.asp and achg.asp
This is occurring on an exchange 2003 server with sp1 or sp2, running on windows 2003 with sp1. Currently the users can not change passwords using OWA. We would like them to be able to. If I go directly to https://xxx.edu/iisadmpwd/aexp2b.asp . . . the change password feature works. If I start OWA and click change password I go to https://xxx.edu/iisadmpwd/aexp2b.asp?https://xxx.edu/exchange/UserName/? fill in the data . . . . click ok. I get Object not found. I added some display statements to the achg.asp file. When going directly to the site (not using exchange) and filling in the...

Problems with typing in Russian in Word'04
Hi, I am going nuts because of this problem. I am on the verge of purchasing a different word processor, but I paid $150 for this one so it should work!! Here's what happens. I set my language in the "International" Preferences in the Mac settings (I have the little taskbar icon flag thing enabled to quickly change my language). When I try to type in Word after setting the language (under tools) to Russian, I can type okay...until I realize that I made a mistake a few words back. So I click to move the cursor back to where I need to make a change...and the Mac language switches ...

Re: Count "hours", as 1 each? Example attached....Please Help!
I am totally stumped... I would like if possible to count how many hours each employee worked, from a pivot table. I have already captured how many scans each employee did, just need to get a count of total number of hours each worker worked. ( Productivity report ) Example: a b c d e f g H 1 employee 8 AM 9AM 10AM 11AM 12PM 1PM TOTAL 2 3 BOB 40 49 50 55 80 274 4 NANCY 50 60 50 100 30 290 5 SUE 25 20 20 20 85 blank cells are when the worker scanned ...

Hyperlink problem
Hi All, I have the code below on a command button, to insert a hyperlink into a text box, but it is not working, can you help. Thanks Private Sub Command107_Click() Me.Hyperlink1.SetFocus RunCommand acCmdInsertHyperlink End Sub Is Hyperlink1 an OLE field ? If not you need to give more details of what the end result is that you're trying to get. Also, when you say "not working". Are you getting an error message (like 2046 or 2501, etc) More details are needed to be able to give a good answer -- Wayne Manchester, England. "blake...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

File repair problem
Hello, One of my MS Money files has some entries that cannot be changed. If I try to change them I get a message that says: "This transaction cannot be entered. Money could not write to your Money file. The operation cannot be performed or another application finished the task before you . Please try again." This only happens with some of my entries, not all. (The entries were downloaded from a banking site, but other downloaded entries are not affected.) I have used the repair utility at two levels and the problem persists. By internet searching I have found reference...

How to remove attached files from messages in the box ?
Hi, I would like to delete attached files from messages in my inbox, preserving the rest of the messages. With Outlook Express, I could do this using th utility "OE Quick Tool". How is it possible with Outlook 2002 ? Fred "Fred Hazel" said in news:%234jMmPr0DHA.3220@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > Hi, > > I would like to delete attached files from messages in my inbox, > preserving the rest of the messages. With Outlook Express, I could do > this using th utility "OE Quick Tool". How is it possible with > Outlook 2002 ? > > Fred I think you ha...

Problems with CControlBar::SetSetBarStyle() in Visual Studio .NET
Hello, I've migrated a C++-Visual Studio 6 project to Visual Studio .NET 2002. In this projekt the method CControlBar::SetBarStyle(...) from MFC is called. In Visual Studio 6 this function call works without problems. Now (Visual Studio .NET 2002) an assertion is thrown. I've found a solution for that problem. (see http://codeproject.com/buglist/mfcdockingstylebug.asp). I tried to implement the solution of this website (see "ASSERT((dwStyle & CBRS_ALIGN_ANY) != 0);"), but then I recognized that I have to rebuild "mfc70d.dll", where the method CControlBar...

problem and solution for MS CRM 3.0 outlook client
Hello, I installed the CRM 3.0 outlook client, and when I restarted outlook it gave the following error messages: There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator." "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your system administrator if errors persist." I used network monitor to determine that the server was sending back an 401 unauthorized error to the SOAP request WhoAmI. The solution i...

why do my .pdf and .doc email attachments arrive as winword
When I send out an email with a .pdf or .doc attachment to several people there are always a few that receive the attachment as "winword" and are unable to open it. When they send it back to me it comes back as I sent it out. You don't mention what type of e-mail client these folks use, but when in doubt, set your message format to plain text since there are folks out there are solution out there that can't support the "Rich Text" format that Outlook uses. If using an older version of Outlook (Outlook 97/2003), you also may want to disable Microsoft...

OWA Rights to Mailbox problem
We have installed and additional Exchange 5.5 server to our site with OWA and IIS. OWA works fine on original server but if we move a mailbox to the new server, the user cannot forward, delete or send a new message using OWA. The mailbox recieves new mail and it can be read, but it ends there. Can't add to Calander or contacts. Missing some permissions setting, just can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan ...

exmerge problem #4
I have to merge mailboxes with exmerge. I am exporting one of it to .pst file and importing it to the second one. I'm doing it in batch mode. I create .txt file with source and target DN of user mailboxes. Problem is that I'm always puttinf wronh Distinguished Names for those mailboxes. Ca you tell me how to put it right? User account is in Users container, in one AD domain (domain1.organisation.hr). The other one is in domain2.organisation.hr. Please, I nead the right sintax!!! ...

Problem using AcitveSync WM5
Hi, everyone I have WM5 device and th company have bought SSL certificate from third party. OWA works fine and recognizes certificate. I have installed certificate on the WM5 ipaq. But when I am trying to sync I am getting error 0x80072f0d The security certificate on the server is invalid. Contact your Exchange Server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server. Can anyone point what is wrong ? Thank you On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:37:19 +0100, "Nos" <nera@nera.com> wrote: >Hi, >everyone I have WM5 device and th company have bought SSL certifica...

Entourage Attachment Help
I am using Entourage for POP access to my Gmail account. However, a lot of my gmail attachments are very big to download, and the whole process could take some time. So, does anyone know how to download my emails without the attachment? TIA Pikkie Knippers Hi Pikkie, Tools | Accounts, double click on the account in question. Click on options. Check the box for "partially receive messages over____", and fill in a number that you feel okay with. Then attachments will not download, or only partially download. The message will show up in your inbox with a link that you can click ...