Problems Compacting Thank goodness for the free Backup Program!

Thank goodness someone here referred me to the Quick Backup for my Outlook
Express.....I always need it because OE won't compact itself and I lose
mucho contents except for the fact you gurus here referred me to the free
backup program.   I have learned that if I go through the program, folder by
folder and "compact" each folder one at a time, instead of allowing OE to
compact it when it requests, I'm usually OK.
Now, however, I can do all the folders but when I get to the "Inbox" the
compacting always stops and tells me OE or some other program is using it
and it won't be compacted.  This happens whether I work "on line" or "Off
line."   I have NO other programs running when this is happening (unless the
background antivirus, AVG, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster or Spybot
immunization count)  What is happening and how can I compact it so I can
avoid the annoying reminders on exiting the program that tell me I need to
compact the folder?

Thanks.

Chet

0
CGB
12/6/2009 9:19:54 PM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

DO NOT keep messages in the Inbox or Sent Items. Move all your messages from
the Inbox to a user created folder and then try compacting again while
offline. If still no joy, create a new Inbox.

<Canned>

The Inbox is probably corrupt. Move all messages to a local folder you
create and then delete the Inbox as follows.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Inbox.dbx and delete it.  A new Inbox will be
created automatically when you open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user defined
folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Thank goodness someone here referred me to the Quick Backup for my Outlook
> Express.....I always need it because OE won't compact itself and I lose
> mucho contents except for the fact you gurus here referred me to the free
> backup program.   I have learned that if I go through the program, folder
> by folder and "compact" each folder one at a time, instead of allowing OE
> to compact it when it requests, I'm usually OK.
> Now, however, I can do all the folders but when I get to the "Inbox" the
> compacting always stops and tells me OE or some other program is using it
> and it won't be compacted.  This happens whether I work "on line" or "Off
> line."   I have NO other programs running when this is happening (unless
> the background antivirus, AVG, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster or Spybot
> immunization count)  What is happening and how can I compact it so I can
> avoid the annoying reminders on exiting the program that tell me I need to
> compact the folder?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

0
Bruce
12/6/2009 9:52:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Bruce.

I went into OE and created a folder under OE called (Inbox Backup).  I then
copied all msg's from Inbox to Inbox Backup.  I then highlighted INBOX
BACKUP and File>Folders>Compact   i.e. thought I'd try to compact the Inbox
Backup before proceding.  It churned for a while and then came up with the
msg that OE was using it or some other program was using it.  Next plan
which seems safe to do before hearing from you is to rename of Inbox file,
so I can salvage it if needed,  rather then delete it and see what happens
when I restart the program.  Maybe I can then transfer files from "Inbox
Backup" to it  and try compacting.
Reasonable?

Chet

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Thank goodness someone here referred me to the Quick Backup for my Outlook
> Express.....I always need it because OE won't compact itself and I lose
> mucho contents except for the fact you gurus here referred me to the free
> backup program.   I have learned that if I go through the program, folder
> by folder and "compact" each folder one at a time, instead of allowing OE
> to compact it when it requests, I'm usually OK.
> Now, however, I can do all the folders but when I get to the "Inbox" the
> compacting always stops and tells me OE or some other program is using it
> and it won't be compacted.  This happens whether I work "on line" or "Off
> line."   I have NO other programs running when this is happening (unless
> the background antivirus, AVG, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster or Spybot
> immunization count)  What is happening and how can I compact it so I can
> avoid the annoying reminders on exiting the program that tell me I need to
> compact the folder?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

0
CGB
12/6/2009 11:26:54 PM
Please reply to the post in question and not your own original post. Thank
you.

To recap:

You created a folder and moved the Inbox messages to it and /that/ folder
would not compact? If that is correct, let me know, and also tell me the
size of that new folder. (The corresponding dbx file shows the size).

Now that you renamed the Inbox and rebooted, do you now have a clean and
empty Inbox? That's good, but now you will need a tool to get the messages
out of the renamed Inbox file.

Let me know where you are at right now before I continue.
--

              Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP Outlook Express

> Thanks for the quick reply, Bruce.
>
> I went into OE and created a folder under OE called (Inbox Backup).  I
> then
> copied all msg's from Inbox to Inbox Backup.  I then highlighted INBOX
> BACKUP and File>Folders>Compact   i.e. thought I'd try to compact the
> Inbox
> Backup before proceding.  It churned for a while and then came up with the
> msg that OE was using it or some other program was using it.  Next plan
> which seems safe to do before hearing from you is to rename of Inbox file,
> so I can salvage it if needed,  rather then delete it and see what happens
> when I restart the program.  Maybe I can then transfer files from "Inbox
> Backup" to it  and try compacting.
> Reasonable?
>
> Chet
>
> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Thank goodness someone here referred me to the Quick Backup for my
>> Outlook
>> Express.....I always need it because OE won't compact itself and I lose
>> mucho contents except for the fact you gurus here referred me to the free
>> backup program.   I have learned that if I go through the program, folder
>> by folder and "compact" each folder one at a time, instead of allowing OE
>> to compact it when it requests, I'm usually OK.
>> Now, however, I can do all the folders but when I get to the "Inbox" the
>> compacting always stops and tells me OE or some other program is using it
>> and it won't be compacted.  This happens whether I work "on line" or "Off
>> line."   I have NO other programs running when this is happening (unless
>> the background antivirus, AVG, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster or Spybot
>> immunization count)  What is happening and how can I compact it so I can
>> avoid the annoying reminders on exiting the program that tell me I need
>> compact the folder?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Chet

0
Bruce
12/7/2009 1:14:05 AM
Mr. Hagen,
See results below:

> You created a folder and moved the Inbox messages to it and /that/ folder
> would not compact? If that is correct, let me know, and also tell me the
> size of that new folder. (The corresponding dbx file shows the size).

    Correct.  Size of orginal "inbox" was 4640 msg's and that was the size
of the "inbox backup."  In bytes it is 1,553,275 KB

> Now that you renamed the Inbox and rebooted, do you now have a clean and
> empty Inbox? That's good, but now you will need a tool to get the messages
> out of the renamed Inbox file.

Yes, the old "Inbox" was empty after creating the "Inbox Backup" and
transferring all files to the the "Inbox Backup"  I deleted the previous
"Inbox" via Explorer as you recommended, reboote OE and the "Inbox" was
empty.  "Inbox Backup" did have all my emails in it.  I highlighted "Inbox"
and chose File>Folders>Compact and it worked fine (no files in it) and then
highlighted all email in the "Inbox Backup" and told computer to "move" them
to "Inbox"    After this, "Inbox Backup" was empty and "Inbox" had the 4640
files in it.  I highlighted "Inbox" chose File>Folder>Compact and it churned
for a while then said the folder was in use by OE or another program and
stopped.
The size of  the newly generated "Inbox" is the same as the size as the old
"Inbox."

Chet

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> Please reply to the post in question and not your own original post. Thank
> you.
>
> To recap:
>
> You created a folder and moved the Inbox messages to it and /that/ folder
> would not compact? If that is correct, let me know, and also tell me the
> size of that new folder. (The corresponding dbx file shows the size).
>
> Let me know where you are at right now before I continue.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>    MS-MVP Outlook Express
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the quick reply, Bruce.
>>
>> I went into OE and created a folder under OE called (Inbox Backup).  I
>> then
>> copied all msg's from Inbox to Inbox Backup.  I then highlighted INBOX
>> BACKUP and File>Folders>Compact   i.e. thought I'd try to compact the
>> Inbox
>> Backup before proceding.  It churned for a while and then came up with
>> the
>> msg that OE was using it or some other program was using it.  Next plan
>> which seems safe to do before hearing from you is to rename of Inbox
>> file, so I can salvage it if needed,  rather then delete it and see what
>> happens when I restart the program.  Maybe I can then transfer files from
>> "Inbox Backup" to it  and try compacting.
>> Reasonable?
>>
>> Chet
>>
>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Thank goodness someone here referred me to the Quick Backup for my
>>> Outlook
>>> Express.....I always need it because OE won't compact itself and I lose
>>> mucho contents except for the fact you gurus here referred me to the
>>> free
>>> backup program.   I have learned that if I go through the program,
>>> folder
>>> by folder and "compact" each folder one at a time, instead of allowing
>>> OE
>>> to compact it when it requests, I'm usually OK.
>>> Now, however, I can do all the folders but when I get to the "Inbox" the
>>> compacting always stops and tells me OE or some other program is using
>>> it
>>> and it won't be compacted.  This happens whether I work "on line" or
>>> "Off
>>> line."   I have NO other programs running when this is happening (unless
>>> the background antivirus, AVG, Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster or Spybot
>>> immunization count)  What is happening and how can I compact it so I can
>>> avoid the annoying reminders on exiting the program that tell me I need
>>> compact the folder?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Chet

0
CGB
12/7/2009 2:25:15 AM
So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox and
now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new folders
and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each folder.

Can you see them in these respective folders? Can you see them after you
compact? (Close and open OE).

If you still cannot see the messages, then you will need to resort to
DBXpress to retrieve the messages from one of the folders that contains them
all.
--

> [...]
>>    MS-MVP Outlook Express
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the quick reply, Bruce.
>>>
>>> I went into OE and created a folder under OE called (Inbox Backup).  I
>>> then
>>> copied all msg's from Inbox to Inbox Backup.  I then highlighted INBOX
>>> BACKUP and File>Folders>Compact   i.e. thought I'd try to compact the
>>> Inbox
>>> Backup before proceding.  It churned for a while and then came up with
>>> the
>>> msg that OE was using it or some other program was using it.  Next plan
>>> which seems safe to do before hearing from you is to rename of Inbox
>>> file, so I can salvage it if needed,  rather then delete it and see what
>>> happens when I restart the program.  Maybe I can then transfer files
>>> from "Inbox Backup" to it  and try compacting.

0
Bruce
12/7/2009 2:42:13 AM
> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox and
> now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
> folder.

No, I moved them all back to "inbox" and they are there and because I moved
them and not copied them, the "inbox backup" folder is/was empty.  I can see
and access them in the re-constituted "Inbox" but just can't compact that
box..  I'm not surprised you think the box is rather bloated......I'll go
through and delete a bunch.
So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many and
then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's late here
:)

Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.

> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox and
> now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
> folder.
>
> Can you see them in these respective folders? Can you see them after you
> compact? (Close and open OE).
>
> If you still cannot see the messages, then you will need to resort to
> DBXpress to retrieve the messages from one of the folders that contains
> them all.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Mr. Hagen,
>> See results below:
>>
>>> You created a folder and moved the Inbox messages to it and /that/
>>> folder would not compact? If that is correct, let me know, and also tell
>>> me the size of that new folder. (The corresponding dbx file shows the
>>> size).
>>>
>>    Correct.  Size of orginal "inbox" was 4640 msg's and that was the size
>> of the "inbox backup."  In bytes it is 1,553,275 KB
>>

>>> Now that you renamed the Inbox and rebooted, do you now have a clean and
>>> empty Inbox? That's good, but now you will need a tool to get the
>>> messages out of the renamed Inbox file.
>>>
>> Yes, the old "Inbox" was empty after creating the "Inbox Backup" and
>> transferring all files to the the "Inbox Backup"  I deleted the previous
>> "Inbox" via Explorer as you recommended, reboote OE and the "Inbox" was
>> empty.  "Inbox Backup" did have all my emails in it.  I highlighted
>> "Inbox" and chose File>Folders>Compact and it worked fine (no files in
>> it) and then highlighted all email in the "Inbox Backup" and told
>> computer to "move" them to "Inbox"    After this, "Inbox Backup" was
>> empty and "Inbox" had the 4640 files in it.  I highlighted "Inbox" chose
>> File>Folder>Compact and it churned for a while then said the folder was
>> in use by OE or another program and stopped.
>> The size of  the newly generated "Inbox" is the same as the size as the
>> old "Inbox."
>>
>> Chet
>>

>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Please reply to the post in question and not your own original post.
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> To recap:
>>>
>>> You created a folder and moved the Inbox messages to it and /that/
>>> folder would not compact? If that is correct, let me know, and also tell
>>> me the size of that new folder. (The corresponding dbx file shows the
>>> size).
>>>
>>> Let me know where you are at right now before I continue.
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>    MS-MVP Outlook Express
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

0
CGB
12/7/2009 3:17:00 AM
First, I am glad to realize that you have not lost the messages. If you make
multiple smaller folders, you should be OK. Good luck.

[...]

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

>> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox
>> and now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
>> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
>> folder.
>>
> No, I moved them all back to "inbox" and they are there and because I
> moved them and not copied them, the "inbox backup" folder is/was empty.  I
> can see and access them in the re-constituted "Inbox" but just can't
> compact that box..  I'm not surprised you think the box is rather
> bloated......I'll go through and delete a bunch.
> So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many and
> then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's late
> here :)
>
> Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.
>
> Chet
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox
>> and now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
>> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
>> folder.
>>
>> Can you see them in these respective folders? Can you see them after you
>> compact? (Close and open OE).
>>
>> If you still cannot see the messages, then you will need to resort to
>> DBXpress to retrieve the messages from one of the folders that contains
>> them all.
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Mr. Hagen,
>>> See results below:

>>>    Correct.  Size of orginal "inbox" was 4640 msg's and that was the
>>> size of the "inbox backup."  In bytes it is 1,553,275 KB

>>> Yes, the old "Inbox" was empty after creating the "Inbox Backup" and
>>> transferring all files to the the "Inbox Backup"  I deleted the previous
>>> "Inbox" via Explorer as you recommended, reboote OE and the "Inbox" was
>>> empty.  "Inbox Backup" did have all my emails in it.  I highlighted
>>> "Inbox" and chose File>Folders>Compact and it worked fine (no files in
>>> it) and then highlighted all email in the "Inbox Backup" and told
>>> computer to "move" them to "Inbox"    After this, "Inbox Backup" was
>>> empty and "Inbox" had the 4640 files in it.  I highlighted "Inbox" chose
>>> File>Folder>Compact and it churned for a while then said the folder was
>>> in use by OE or another program and stopped.
>>> The size of  the newly generated "Inbox" is the same as the size as the
>>> old "Inbox."
>>>
>>> Chet
>>>

>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Bruce
12/7/2009 3:28:30 AM
I use the procedure you advise (creating, say, 4 smaller 'inboxes') and then
compacting.

I also compact the empty original Inbox before moving stuff back in.  If you
don't, nothing gained...

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
---

> [...]
>> bloated......I'll go through and delete a bunch.
>> So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many and
>> then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's late
>> here :)
>>
>> Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.
>>
>> Chet
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox
>>> and now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
>>> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> Can you see them in these respective folders? Can you see them after you
>>> compact? (Close and open OE).
>>>
>>> If you still cannot see the messages, then you will need to resort to
>>> DBXpress to retrieve the messages from one of the folders that contains

0
DAS
12/7/2009 10:38:50 AM
I tried everything recommended, I'm pretty sure, to no avail.  At this point
I have not lost any records, thank goodness for the Backup program some
MS-MVP's referred me to.   And thank you DAS for the input.....tried that
approach to no avail.

I give up!  Is there some way I can have the program NOT advise me that a
compacting job is in order so that I can exit it in peace??

> [...]

>> bloated......I'll go through and delete a bunch.
>> So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many and
>> then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's late
>> here :)
>>
>> Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.
>>
>> Chet
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> So you're saying that you moved all the messages back to the new Inbox
>>> and now cannot see them? The folder is too darned bloated. Create 4 new
>>> folders and *copy* not *move* approximately 25% of the messages to each
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> Can you see them in these respective folders? Can you see them after you
>>> compact? (Close and open OE).
>>>
>>> If you still cannot see the messages, then you will need to resort to
>>> DBXpress to retrieve the messages from one of the folders that contains

0
CGB
12/7/2009 8:11:00 PM
If you compact manually prior to 100 closings of OE, you will never see the
prompt. If you never compact at all, your folders will become bloated and
message loss is certain.

If you move all your messages to 4 separate folders as  previously
suggested, do /those/ folders compact OK? If so, leave the messages there,
create another new Inbox and move messages out of it daily.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Compacting your folders periodically is a must to keep OE functioning well
and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if you don't. When
you delete, or move messages, the space they had used remains until you
compact.

***Never touch anything until the compacting is finished.***

See:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to problems it
caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100 OE closings, which
you should do, and don't touch anything until it has finished. If you
compact manually, at your convenience, this will also set the counter back
to zero. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

If you are fully patched, you will also now see a copy of your dbx files
being copied to the Recycle Bin as BAK files. Should something go awry when
compacting, the messages can easily be restored from this backup. A manual
compact will also reset the counter in the registry back to zero now.

For more info, see the information outlined in red here:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2
--

>I tried everything recommended, I'm pretty sure, to no avail.  At this
>point I have not lost any records, thank goodness for the Backup program
>some MS-MVP's referred me to.   And thank you DAS for the input.....tried
>that approach to no avail.
>
> I give up!  Is there some way I can have the program NOT advise me that a
> compacting job is in order so that I can exit it in peace??
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> First, I am glad to realize that you have not lost the messages. If you
>> make multiple smaller folders, you should be OK. Good luck.
>>
>> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>>
>> Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
>> defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
>> Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical
>> capacity of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of
>> corruption.
>>
>> Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used
>> by Outlook Express:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095
>>
>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>
>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>> until the compacting is completed.
>>
>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>
>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>
>> And backup often.
>>
>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> No, I moved them all back to "inbox" and they are there and because I
>>> moved them and not copied them, the "inbox backup" folder is/was empty.
>>> I can see and access them in the re-constituted "Inbox" but just can't
>>> compact that box..  I'm not surprised you think the box is rather
>>> bloated......I'll go through and delete a bunch.
>>> So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many
>>> and then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's
>>> late here :)
>>>
>>> Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Chet
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Bruce
12/7/2009 8:20:48 PM
Please explain "moving stuff back in".
After moving messages to the new folders, do not move the messages back to
the Inbox.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

"DAS" <nobody@spam.co.uk> wrote in message
> I use the procedure you advise (creating, say, 4 smaller 'inboxes') and
> then compacting.
>
> I also compact the empty original Inbox before moving stuff back in.  If
> you don't, nothing gained...
>
> DAS
>
> To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
> ---
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> First, I am glad to realize that you have not lost the messages. If you
>> make multiple smaller folders, you should be OK. Good luck.
>>
>> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>>
>> Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
>> defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
>> Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical
>> capacity of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of
>> corruption.
>>
>> Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used
>> by Outlook Express:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095
>>
>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>
>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>> until the compacting is completed.
>>
>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>
>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>
>> And backup often.
>>
>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> No, I moved them all back to "inbox" and they are there and because I
>>> moved them and not copied them, the "inbox backup" folder is/was empty.
>>> I can see and access them in the re-constituted "Inbox" but just can't
>>> compact that box..  I'm not surprised you think the box is rather
>>> bloated......I'll go through and delete a bunch.
>>> So far, I've not lost anything.....knock on wood!  I will delete many
>>> and then procede with your recommendations, probably tomorrow....it's
>>> late here :)
>>>
>>> Thanks.  Will look for this thread tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Chet
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Ron
12/9/2009 7:45:48 AM
Ron, I am well aware of the risks of having a big Inbox.  Been reading thiis
NG long enough... :-)

However, I like the convenience of a single Inbox and if I were better
organised then my inbox would be smaller, because I save all my
correspondence as text files in my main file directories by appropriate
subject.  But I am a bit behind and haven't done everything.

I do include OE in my daily backup, so amy loss would be fairly small.  In
fact, I had a HDD failure the other night which resulted in my acquiring a
new computer.  I had left the machine on overnight and the automatic backup
ran before the failure so I lost nothing except masses of time...

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> Please explain "moving stuff back in".
> After moving messages to the new folders, do not move the messages back to
> the Inbox.
> --
> Ron Sommer
> MS MVP-Mail
>
> "DAS" <nobody@spam.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I use the procedure you advise (creating, say, 4 smaller 'inboxes') and
>> then compacting.
>>
>> I also compact the empty original Inbox before moving stuff back in.  If
>> you don't, nothing gained...
>>
>> DAS
>>
>> To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
>> ---
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> First, I am glad to realize that you have not lost the messages. If you
>>> make multiple smaller folders, you should be OK. Good luck.
>>>
>>> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>>>
>>> Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
>>> defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
>>> Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical
>>> capacity of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of
>>> corruption.
>>>
>>> Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used
>>> by Outlook Express:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095
>>>
>>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>>> until the compacting is completed.
>>>
>>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>>
>>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>>
>>> And backup often.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

0
DAS

default appointment times problems
When i re-open outlook and go to the calender, all the appointments times have changed to 1am on the start day - 1am on the day after it waqs meant to finish. So a 12 day appointment is now shown as over 2 days. How do you change the default appointment time settings so an appointment which is just typed into the day is from 9am - 5pm for example and will stay as a 1 day event when opening and closing outlook? All day events are 12 -12, not 9-5. If you want it 9-5, you need to make it for 9-5. All day appointment change to 1 -1 if you change the time zone or DST settings aft...

Backup address book ?????
If i am going to restore outlook express how do i backup my address book as to not loose them on the restore or fresh install. ?? Thks Tim This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for O...

Problem with vba directory function
Hi We have an access application that has a button when clicked opens an excel worksheet showing all exported data based on code The access sql system is in Citrix with a single front end copy. Here is the code part that is throwing the error for just one user. Rest all are working fine Dim strSourceFileName As String Dim WorkBookName As String strSourceFileName = "c:\CarLogOutPut\CarLogExportTemplate.xls" WorkBookName = "c:\CarLogOutPut\CarLogExport.xls" If Dir(strSourceFileName) = "" Then MsgBox "CarLogExportTemplate.xls doe...

Connection Problem 03-20-08
Hello I'm new to access programming so I'm probably making some obvious mistake. The following code comes from 'Beginning Access 2003 VBA' by Denise Cosnell. On page 130 of the book you can read: 1. Create a new database by selecting File ?New ?Blank Database and specifying Ch5CodeExamples as the filename. 2. Create a new table in the database by selecting Tables from the Database Window and clicking the Design button. Alternatively, you can select the New button and then choose Design View from the list. The table should be named tblContacts and should have the fields i...

Please help me solve my problem
Hi, I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, and the same for the lowest number in cell a2. I would like these results to show up in the cells below them Im very new to programming and your help would be much appreciated many thanks Sacha David On Mar 5, 1:01=A0pm, Sacha David <sach1...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, =A0I Have a cell say a1 that has a continuously changing number it > in and I want to track the highest number that it prints, =A0and the > same for the lowest number i...

orphaned free busy objects
I have 3 orphaned free busy objects from exchange 5.5 server that were decommissioned months ago. I attempted to delete them form the systems folders view but was ask for a password several times then denied. I found that they did not have a replica on any exchange server so I added one to the local server thinking It would allow me to delete it. Didn’t work and it wont let me remove the replica. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Hi I have excactly the same problem.... Did you fix it ? Is there anyone else who have any clue how to delete this orphaned Free Busy objects ? With Ad...

Copy / Paste of Floorplan shapes in Visio Automation problems
Hi All I am working on a .Net (FW1.1) application that has a hosted Visio drawing control. Copy and paste from most existing Visio drawings to this hosted control works fine. The exception to this rule is Visio floorplans, where copying and pasting of most shapes is OK, but walls go totally screwed up (all over the screen, nothing like their original shape, etc). Our client needs to be able to copy and paste the floorplans into this container control without the walls breaking; they have a large investment already made i.t.o. existing floorplans. Page scaling and size is the same as the exi...

Problem moving mailbox between administrative groups
Hi there, We have a big problem. We need to move mailboxes from one adm group to other, and at ramdom we receive a MAPI Error Error moving messages CN=testuser,CN=users,dc=machine,dc=company,dc=com The MAPI call failed MAPI or an unspecified service provicer ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000 The Exchange 2000 organization is in native mode (All E2K) Any thoughts. Thanks in advance -- Gabriel N Argentina ...

Oulook Backup
I recently updated to Outlook 2003. I tried to install Backup 2003. I get the error message, must remove old version, answer yes to the next question. I answer yes, I get the error message uninstall via Control Panel. I don't have the old version in the control panel. How do I un-install and or install XP/2003. You checked the Add/Remove Programs applet dialogue? "limeybiker" <abbl(nospam)@att.net> wrote in message news:LGV4f.151771$qY1.151354@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > I recently updated to Outlook 2003. > > I tried to install Backup 2003. &g...

dropdown list problem for newbie
i have a column(A) where each cell is a dropdownlist(same list). if person chooses an item from that list...can it return a correspondin value? example: my drop down list corresponding value animal 005 building 1174 vehicle 3345 so for a specific cell...lets say A1, i choose building from th dropdown. i want it to return a value of 1174 in cell A1. is this possible? if so please help? thx eri -- enag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- enags'...

How to record the audio which playback by another program.
Hi,every one. I'm doing a work ,which need record the audio playbacked by other program ( winamp,realone e.g.). By the way,can't I could record from mic if other program is used. Thanks. If you have a good idea tell me please! Have a good job! You can use some utility like AllSoundRecorder or so on .. They directly pick up the sound which goes through the soundcard of your pc and save it in mp3, wav or some format .. but buddy, you have posted the question in the wrong group.... "BlueCrystal" <cxzh9888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%235wCyxxyFHA.2424...

How to program the Microsoft License Manager? (licrpc.dll)
Hello experts! One of the dlls of the Microsoft License Manager is licrpc.dll. Examining the exports on this dll, there appear to be a number of functions we wish to use, such as llsLicenseEnum, llsProductEnum, etc. The only problem is - there does not appear to be any published info on the function prototypes. We've scanned all the usual knowledge areas and the SDK but found nothing. Has anyone had any experience programming the License Manager dll (licrpc.dll)? Any ideas where I can look to find info on using these functions? Thanks! Hi Mark, Welcome to MSDN Newsgroup! We are now...

IHTMLDocument::Write method problem
Hello EveyOne I am using IHTMLdocument and its method. My aim is to extract the body of a IHTMLDocument after loading the local html page ( saved file ) to IHTMDocument. So I just read the file into buffer , created a safe Array and used IHTMLDocument::write method to write the contents of a file to IHTMLDocument. It worked fine for many web pages, But when I tried it for web page http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=windowsmedia application became NOt Responding.When I debugged the application , I found that the IHTMLDocument::write method never returned and thats why my ap...

sharing problem
Hi there, I have a strange problem. I have 13 exchange users an Exchange 2000 (english) All the users were migrated when I installed Exchange 1 year ago. a month ago 2 users left and were replaced by 2 others so I added them to exchange. All users are using Outlook 2000 (dutch) and are sharing their calendar. When I share the calendar of the 2 new people everybody gets the share in their outlook but when they open it it gives an error that it can't open the share. The strange thing is also that thier shares are in dutch (postbus) and all other shares are in english. I made a workaround b...

Problems consuming a webservice in Excel2003
Hi, I am not a MS-Office expert but have been tasked with trying something new to me. If there is a better place to ask this question, please feel free to point me to it. I have built a Webservice in Delphi 2007. It works fine with a client built in D2007 and with a generic webbased client. Now I would like to consume it using Excel 2003. The final goal is to fill a statistics spreadsheet with a set of indicators calculated from inside a separate system. I have installed the Web Services Toolkit and followed the quick walkthrough in: http://weblogs.asp.net/erobillard/archive/2005/07...

"Alt - I
About two weeks ago when I was trying to insert a row I found that my "Alt - I - R" function was not working. After asking around, I found this has happened to other people. Can anyone help tell me what I have done or how to fix this problem...so that I can use "Alt - I - R" in order to insert a row? Thanks, Doug Doug If the worksheet protection is enabled ALT + I + R along with many other commands will not be available. Check at Tools>Protection. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 2 May 2005 16:57:04 -0700, "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Program accessing address stored in outlook
Every time I try to open an email in Outlook 2002 I get a message saying that a program is trying to access e-mail addresses stored in Outlook... How do I make it stop? I have scanned for viruses and such, I'm clean. Please help. (PS - this seems to have started right after updating to the latest office service pack). Do you have third party programs installed for spam detection or antivirus filtering? Have you visited the vendors of these programs for the latest updates? Are you using Word for the message editor? Try turning off Word for the meantime until you visit your thi...

Problem with CSocket.Create() on windows 2003
Hii i'm creating a CSocket object and calling its Create Method in a DLL and call this dll from an asp page..but i get an exception on Create(). This only happens with Windows 2003. the code is working fine with windows 2000 server. Also when i created a simple MFC dialog based application (exe) and called .Create() for it there..it worked fine even on 2003. Can someone please tell me if there is any issue with the CSockets in windows 2003 calling in a dll and how can it be resolved. I've also tried using CAsyncSocket but the problem persists. Any help is appreciable. Thanx and regard...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Install Problem
Hi, I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service and this causes the installation to fail. I did think it could be related to GFI Mail Essentials or Security but I've uninstalled both and it still fails. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:25:29 +0100, "Spenceley" <joe@response-it.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. > >When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service...

Form/ subform link problems
My parent form holds information about a part and my subform holds ordering information for that part. Up to now I have linked the child to the parent via PartID : RecordID and Component Name : Component name. This is great as it shows the component name on the subform after it has been found on the parent form. The only problem with this is if the user changes the component name it does not keep the order information for the same item with the old name. I want to link purely on the partID : RecordID so that whatever else is changed the order information history still shows. When I do t...

CRM 1.2 Mail Router Problem

Hyperlink problem
I have created a page in Publisher 2002 and trying to add hyperlinks within the text box. I have followed the procedure, but when I email the page to test it, the link does not work. I can get the hyperlink to work on an object, but not in the text box. Can you help please? Thanks -- Just Me ...

Office has problems rendering Mrs. Eaves font
Hi, I'm seeing an issue where the Office apps (at least Word and Powerpoint) does not render the Mrs. Eaves font (from Emigre) properly. I am using the Postscript Type 1 version of it. The issue is that the space character doesn't seem to actually put a space in between the letters. The words just run into each other. Here are some screen shots: Mrs. Eaves: http://www.peterskim.org/images/mrseaves.jpg Bookman Old Style: http://www.peterskim.org/images/bookman.jpg Is anyone else seeing this problem? Would updating my font to the OpenType format make it work? Thanks! Peter Sorry, ...

Time of Last full backup
Can someone tell me what attribute in Active directory does 'Time of Last full backup' hold? On Exchange server database properties on Exchange 2003 you would find this field. Thanks, Easy to find out from the transaction logs (provided you're not using circular logging), as well as from the Application Even Log. Not sure if AD or the store maintain that. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Henry" <Henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20E8935A-E4EC-4F3F-B214-FB3338F5F105@microsoft.com... > Can someone tell m...

conversion problem
I am trying to convert a file type: File to Excel and then import into Access. I have a field that has some numbers in it, some numbers in the column come across as 3.123232323E + 11, or 2.34343434 E +11 Do you know what would cause this? The rest of the data converts perfect. Please advise. Thanks, Misty -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com What is the data type of the field that holds these unusual values? Perhaps what you're seeing is simply a matter of the format in which Access is displaying the value (it looks like scientific notation to me...) Regards Jeff Boyc...