opening .bak file

Hi,
I hope someone can help!
I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
folders.
My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
few of my folders.
I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were lost)
out of the recycle bin.
If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx file
from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
Thanks for any help!
Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 1:15:53 AM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?

All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
Message Store in Windows Explorer.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these files
in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer |
Tools | Folder Options | View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty, folder
and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open the
message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close
the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in the
folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 1:26:01 AM
@Arnie: You do NOT need to install KB923694 or KB918766!  Just concentrate
on the NOTE section about halfway down the page.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069 ...

0
PA
11/14/2009 8:49:28 AM
The bak files, once out of the recycle bin, can also be imported as can
individual dbx files:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1  Just rename from bak
to dbx when importing.

steve

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Steve
11/14/2009 12:29:01 PM
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your info.
Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even before I
posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
Maybe a little more info would help!
After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to see
if anything was wrong.
There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails that
were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that the
system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin. there I
found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I simply
restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is very large,
about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am missing.
Any other help is appreciated.
Arnold K.
"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?
>
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069
>
> To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
> Message Store in Windows Explorer.
>
> In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the
> location of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the
> folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put
> the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise,
> write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>
> In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
> files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
> under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows
> Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>
> In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty,
> folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
> successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.
>
> Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
> the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
> folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
> on to the next step.
>
> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
> is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>
> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
> Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
> the folder.
>
> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
> old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I hope someone can help!
>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>> folders.
>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
>> few of my folders.
>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 7:31:05 PM
>there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>simply restored them.

Explain that in detail. Once the bak files are restored to the message
store, they don't automatically work.

We'll call one of the folders abc. Is it still listed in the OE folder tree?
If not, create it. Open it up and then Close OE.

Open the Recycle Bin and restore abc.bak to the message store. Now, if the
abc.dbx file is still there, you must drag it out. To the Desktop is fine.
Now rename abc.bak to abc.dbx. Open OE. Is the abc folder there with
messages in it? If not, you need a recovery tool.

DBXpress:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

You may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal recovery
mode fails to find the lost messages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow this advice in the future, especially backing up.

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user defined
folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

--

> [...]
>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I hope someone can help!
>>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>>> folders.
>>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from
>>> a few of my folders.
>>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 7:43:33 PM
Hi Bruce,
I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out to
the desktop, etc. etc.
Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted dbx
file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
Thanks again,
Arnold
> [...]
>>> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg:
>>> If the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the
>>> new folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty,
>>> continue on to the next step.
>>>
>>> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If
>>> there is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>>>
>>> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
>>> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
>>> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to
>>> .dbx. Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be
>>> back in the folder.
>>>
>>> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete
>>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 8:23:13 PM
1: No.

2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by some
of the alphabet agencies).
--

> [...]
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> Thanks for your info.
>>> Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even
>>> before I posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
>>> Maybe a little more info would help!
>>> After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to
>>> see if anything was wrong.
>>> There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails
>>> that were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
>>> Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that
>>> the system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin.
>>> there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>>> simply restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is
>>> very large, about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 8:29:55 PM
I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
> [...]
>>>
>>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>>> until the compacting is completed.
>>>
>>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>>
>>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>>
>>> And backup often.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 9:09:38 PM
Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.

Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
cumulative programs of earlier editions.
--

>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
>that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
>computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
>compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 9:23:49 PM
As I said Bruce I downloaded and tried to install but it won't.
Says install error and closes.

> Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en
>
> Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.
>
> Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
> cumulative programs of earlier editions.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>discovered that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions
>>of it on my computer and they would not let the install happen. Other
>>versions are not compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 10:26:30 PM
If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is already
installed, Arnie.

Arnie wrote:
> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
> discovered
> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
> my
> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:32:30 PM
Thanks PA Bear,
I did realize that at some point.
Arnold
> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
> already installed, Arnie.
>
> Arnie wrote:
>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>> discovered
>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>> my
>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>> not
>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 11:28:58 PM
So you should be able to install DBXpress without having to install the the
framework.  Do you still get an error?

Also, as I indicated before, you can import a bak file the same way as a dbx
file:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

steve

> Thanks PA Bear,
> I did realize that at some point.
> Arnold
>> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
>> already installed, Arnie.
>>
>> Arnie wrote:
>>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>> discovered
>>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>>> my
>>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>>> not
>>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks.
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Steve

Bought Pub 2003 now it won't open my Pub 2003 file
I just bought Publisher 2003 yesterday. I spent 3 hours creating a project. I tried to laod the saved project and got the message "Publisher can not open file. I tried open pun 97 files with the same result. I've used Publisher 2.0, 97 for years. What am I missing? Most likely you are running Norton Anti-Virus. Norton AV can actually break a Publisher file rendering it unusable. You need to disable script-blocking and possibly the Office plug-in components of Norton AV. Refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_issues.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help...

How to convert Quicken QFX files?
I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >I am unable to convert a Quicken QFX file to be used in >Microsoft Money 2003. Any ideas? Have you tried File->Import? ...

Can't open .pub files either
I have installed / unistalled / installed / uninstalled Publisher 2003 several times and have the same problems others seem to have. I can create and save a .pub file but cannot open them. Get the "cannot find file" message followed by the "cannot open" message. I have loaded the same Publisher program on another computer in our office and it works fine. To save time I should said ahead of time that we: DO NOT use Norton Antivirus DO use Norton Internet Securities which have been set to "allow scripts" Please help! If I cannot re-open and re-edit .pub fi...

Opening Second Instance of Access
Running MSA2K3. I have this problem a lot. I have an MDB open and I run a query. It uses up most of my CPU, but I'm still able to open and work in other applications (IE, Lotus Notes, whatever). However, if I try to open another MDB, it doesn't seem to open until the other MDB finishes processing. If I enter debug mode in MDB #1, then MDB #2 opens right up. What I think is happening is when I open MDB #2, Windows/Access sees there's another instance of Access running, so it uses the first instance to load the MDB--instead of just starting another instant of Access. Has anyon...

enumerating file on a directory
hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter like "*.h" and store the result on an array on VC++. tnx, hope you guys can help. I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html Look For CFileFind Class if working in MFC or FindFirstFile FindNextFile or FindClose if you project based on Win32 -- cheers, Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "lawrence" <las@cybees.com> wrote in message news:#NvsWCRXFHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > hi, How can i enumerate files on a directory based on a filter...

How do I print a text file ?
Hi, I am new to the group and wonder if any of you could offer any advice. I am trying to print a text file directly from my visual c++ application to the default printer without displaying the print dialog What is the best way of doing this ? If it is not possible to print directly from a text file, what commands to I use in between CDC::StartPage () To print the following Hello, my name is Joe Bloggs How are you I hope you can help with this problem etc..... CDC::EndPage () Thanks in advance Paul Paul, More info on printing than you can comfortably shake a stick at: http://www....

Outlook pst file
My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve info from this pst. You could try the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe David "Ajay" <ajayget@indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:07e301c358de$6534d0d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > My original pst file was about 30 mb in size. Somehow it > is corrupted and showing only 30 kb in size. I am not able > to recover my previous info. Is there any way to retrieve > info from this pst. ...

Published 2000 pictures make file sizes too big
I have scanned pictures using Microsoft Photo/Draw. The pictures are around 250 KB but when I put them in my Published document, the file grows to 14,000KB. I can't email them or save them on a floppy. How can I get this file size down You may have to convert the file to a pdf format. Publisher just make humongous files. You have several choices when it comes to a pdf converter program from freebees to Adobe Acrobat. The later is on the spendy side and the freebees may disappoint you. My choice after comparing 5 pdf converter programs was PDF-XChange, a very nice commercial produc...

Exchange System Manager slow to open
It takes my system manger about 3-5 minutes to open. anyone have any idea why this is so. i have my AD dns entries in my TCP\IP properties. I was able to open this program normally before i did a system reload. now it is super slow. ???? help chris holcombc@mail.ecu.edu ...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

Log files in Great Plains 8.0
We use a web based program to import orders from our website into Great Plains. We have recently come across some errors where invoices show up with no associated order or customer information. The only thing that shows on these invoices is item information. I believe these invoices are generated somehow by a glitch in the import we do for our web orders. Is there a log file somewhere in GP where I can see what information was entered based on date? Or if anyone else has experienced this problem before, am I correct in my assumption that the "ghost" invoices are being caused by ...

Copy a file with only values no formulas
Is there an easy way to copy a workbook so that it only has the values and not the formulas? Thank you. -- Lee Coleman Right click on a sheet tab and select all sheets. Then select all cells on the active sheet. Do a copy, then Edit, paste special, values. Right click on a sheet tab and select ungroup sheets. Save the workbook under a different name!!!! Bob Flanagan Macro Systems http://www.add-ins.com Productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel "Lee Coleman" <lee@nospam.jjlgreenhouses.com> wrote in message news:OIOx4$FeHHA.4020@TK2MSFTN...

No files selected in openfiledialog
How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) I've tried if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... and if ubound(openfiledialog1.filenames) = -1 then ... but both these give compile errors. Grateful for advice. Am 11.05.2010 15:46, schrieb simonc: > How can I test for openfiledialog OK clicked without any files being > selected? (I'm using it with multiple select as true.) > > I've tried > > if openfiledialog1.filenames = nothing then ... > &g...

Importing large tab-delimited text files?
I deal with very large data sets that are in tab-delimited .txt format. Many times, there are more than 256 columns of data. The Microsoft Knowledge Base had an article titled "Sample Macro to Import Data with More Than 256 Fields or Columns". This could do the trick for me if I could modify the macro to accomodate tab-delimited formats. Q1: Could anyone tell me how to modify the macro described above for tab-delimited .txt files? Q2: Does anyone know of a bulk file conversion utility that would change a tab-delimited text file to a CSV format? Thanks a bunch, Mark R-S Ma...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

Relative File locations
I have a program that opens file #1 in folder XYZ. In this file is a reference to another file #2 in another folder. Is there a way to reference file #2 so if I put file #2 and file #1 in the same folder, the reference will always be made to the folder that contains the file #1, no matter where I may relocate it? Thanks, ...

Answer file local admin password
Hi, I am trying to apply a local admin password to all PC's during my ghost roll out. Everthing works from my answer file with the only exception the local admin password is not applied. Here is the current part of my answer file [GuiUnattended] AdminPassword="R0ver" EncryptedAdminPassword=NO ...

Schedueled Auto Send .xls File to Receipients
I have an MS2007...I have a progress tracking excel spreadsheet that I must send to certain associates on a biweekly basis. What functionality exists or coding is reqiuried for my document to be automatically sent to selected receipients on a scheduled basis until the project is complete? ...

Outlook error on opening
I'm receiving the following msg when I open Outlook: 'C:\Documents&Settings|Application data\microsoft\addins\C:\progra~1\micros~2\office11\addins\outbak.dll" is not a valid Office Add-in. I can then click on OK and Outlook will open. I have attempted to locate this file to remove it, but search comes up empty. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Did you have the Outlook Personal Folders Backup utility installed at one time? If yes, just go to Tools->Options-.Other->Advanced and under Add-in Manager, uncheck this from the addins list. --� Milly Staples [MVP - O...

Invoice paid still shows as open
Hi everybody - in payable transaction inquiry I am showing a payment and invoice with an 'open' status. I paid the invoice with a check and already printed and mailed out the check. Both the payment and invoice should have a 'history' status. How do I fix this? Try running a reconcile on your documents. MSDGP >> Tools >> Utilities > Purchasing > Reconcile. Select Outstanding Document Amounts. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http:/...

New pst file
When I split off my pst file into a new one for a different email account, will it point to my existing Rules file and auto-corrects or will I need to create new ones? Thanks, Sherry ...

1st I read mail from my Inbox, then I can jot a note & a rule file
This is a suggestion, this feature may already exist in newer versions, I am using Office 2003. I like creating rules for Outlook e-mail so they go into folders but I tend not to read many of the ones for which I have created rules, they just go into the folders and then get old before I get around to reading them. What I'd like better is have all the emails initially come into my Inbox, read them from there, and then I can be given an option for Outlook to file the e-mail in an e-mail folder using a previously created or newly created rule. It should also give me an option t...

Put file date is a cell
I want to put the date the file was saved into the footer of my spreadsheet. I wrote a small user defined function that incorporates FileDateTime(). I can get the date to appear in a msgbox, but when I try to use the same function to write to a cell, I get an error. It says "That name is not valid". What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? Here is my code: Public Function MyDate() As Variant ' Get the file date and export it to a cell. MyDate = FileDateTime("thisfile.xls") MsgBox MyDate, vbOKOnly, "Current" End Function Thanks, Jay Jay, thi...

Can't delete files
I have files on my desktop and in word that I cannot delete. The message says that the files are open in system, but nothing else is running. I am the only user on this computer. Please help! See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and you may have to reboot to release the most stubborn files. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><&...

LARGE function file reference
Can the LARGE function compare arrays that are in different files? I get the #VALUE! error when I try. If it can do so, what is wrong with my formula? I am trying: =LARGE(('L:\05.056 C SD PF Study\G H S\[05.056 GHS conectiv A PF corr 03.xls]Sheet1'!$I$21:$I$32,'L:\05.056 C SD PF Study\G H S\[05.056 GHS conectiv A PF corr 04.xls]Sheet1'!$I$22:$I$32),24)&" / "&LARGE(('L:\05.056 C SD PF Study\G H S\[05.056 GHS conectiv A PF corr 03.xls]Sheet1'!$I$22:$I$32,'L:\05.056 C SD PF Study\G H S\[05.056 GHS conectiv A PF corr 04.xls]Sheet1'!$I$22:...