opening .bak file

Hi,
I hope someone can help!
I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
folders.
My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
few of my folders.
I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were lost)
out of the recycle bin.
If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx file
from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
Thanks for any help!
Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 1:15:53 AM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?

All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
Message Store in Windows Explorer.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these files
in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer |
Tools | Folder Options | View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty, folder
and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open the
message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close
the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in the
folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 1:26:01 AM
@Arnie: You do NOT need to install KB923694 or KB918766!  Just concentrate
on the NOTE section about halfway down the page.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069 ...

0
PA
11/14/2009 8:49:28 AM
The bak files, once out of the recycle bin, can also be imported as can
individual dbx files:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1  Just rename from bak
to dbx when importing.

steve

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Steve
11/14/2009 12:29:01 PM
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your info.
Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even before I
posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
Maybe a little more info would help!
After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to see
if anything was wrong.
There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails that
were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that the
system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin. there I
found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I simply
restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is very large,
about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am missing.
Any other help is appreciated.
Arnold K.
"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?
>
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069
>
> To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
> Message Store in Windows Explorer.
>
> In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the
> location of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the
> folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put
> the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise,
> write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>
> In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
> files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
> under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows
> Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>
> In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty,
> folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
> successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.
>
> Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
> the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
> folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
> on to the next step.
>
> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
> is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>
> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
> Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
> the folder.
>
> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
> old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I hope someone can help!
>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>> folders.
>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
>> few of my folders.
>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 7:31:05 PM
>there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>simply restored them.

Explain that in detail. Once the bak files are restored to the message
store, they don't automatically work.

We'll call one of the folders abc. Is it still listed in the OE folder tree?
If not, create it. Open it up and then Close OE.

Open the Recycle Bin and restore abc.bak to the message store. Now, if the
abc.dbx file is still there, you must drag it out. To the Desktop is fine.
Now rename abc.bak to abc.dbx. Open OE. Is the abc folder there with
messages in it? If not, you need a recovery tool.

DBXpress:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

You may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal recovery
mode fails to find the lost messages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow this advice in the future, especially backing up.

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user defined
folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

--

> [...]
>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I hope someone can help!
>>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>>> folders.
>>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from
>>> a few of my folders.
>>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 7:43:33 PM
Hi Bruce,
I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out to
the desktop, etc. etc.
Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted dbx
file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
Thanks again,
Arnold
> [...]
>>> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg:
>>> If the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the
>>> new folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty,
>>> continue on to the next step.
>>>
>>> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If
>>> there is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>>>
>>> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
>>> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
>>> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to
>>> .dbx. Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be
>>> back in the folder.
>>>
>>> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete
>>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 8:23:13 PM
1: No.

2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by some
of the alphabet agencies).
--

> [...]
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> Thanks for your info.
>>> Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even
>>> before I posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
>>> Maybe a little more info would help!
>>> After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to
>>> see if anything was wrong.
>>> There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails
>>> that were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
>>> Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that
>>> the system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin.
>>> there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>>> simply restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is
>>> very large, about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 8:29:55 PM
I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
> [...]
>>>
>>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>>> until the compacting is completed.
>>>
>>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>>
>>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>>
>>> And backup often.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 9:09:38 PM
Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.

Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
cumulative programs of earlier editions.
--

>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
>that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
>computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
>compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 9:23:49 PM
As I said Bruce I downloaded and tried to install but it won't.
Says install error and closes.

> Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en
>
> Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.
>
> Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
> cumulative programs of earlier editions.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>discovered that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions
>>of it on my computer and they would not let the install happen. Other
>>versions are not compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 10:26:30 PM
If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is already
installed, Arnie.

Arnie wrote:
> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
> discovered
> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
> my
> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:32:30 PM
Thanks PA Bear,
I did realize that at some point.
Arnold
> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
> already installed, Arnie.
>
> Arnie wrote:
>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>> discovered
>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>> my
>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>> not
>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 11:28:58 PM
So you should be able to install DBXpress without having to install the the
framework.  Do you still get an error?

Also, as I indicated before, you can import a bak file the same way as a dbx
file:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

steve

> Thanks PA Bear,
> I did realize that at some point.
> Arnold
>> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
>> already installed, Arnie.
>>
>> Arnie wrote:
>>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>> discovered
>>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>>> my
>>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>>> not
>>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks.
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Steve