opening .bak file

Hi,
I hope someone can help!
I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
folders.
My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
few of my folders.
I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were lost)
out of the recycle bin.
If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx file
from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
Thanks for any help!
Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 1:15:53 AM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?

All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
Message Store in Windows Explorer.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these files
in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under
Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer |
Tools | Folder Options | View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty, folder
and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact* same
name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If the
file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new folder
and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue on to
the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open the
message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx. Close
the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in the
folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 1:26:01 AM
@Arnie: You do NOT need to install KB923694 or KB918766!  Just concentrate
on the NOTE section about halfway down the page.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069 ...

0
PA
11/14/2009 8:49:28 AM
The bak files, once out of the recycle bin, can also be imported as can
individual dbx files:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1  Just rename from bak
to dbx when importing.

steve

"Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone can help!
> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
> folders.
> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
> few of my folders.
> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
> lost) out of the recycle bin.
> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
> Thanks for any help!
> Arnie K.

0
Steve
11/14/2009 12:29:01 PM
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your info.
Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even before I
posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
Maybe a little more info would help!
After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to see
if anything was wrong.
There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails that
were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that the
system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin. there I
found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I simply
restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is very large,
about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am missing.
Any other help is appreciated.
Arnold K.
"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin?
>
> All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
> Pack 1:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069
>
> To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
> Message Store in Windows Explorer.
>
> In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the
> location of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the
> folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put
> the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise,
> write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>
> In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
> files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
> under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows
> Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>
> In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty,
> folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
> successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.
>
> Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
> the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
> folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
> on to the next step.
>
> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
> is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>
> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
> Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
> the folder.
>
> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
> old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I hope someone can help!
>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>> folders.
>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a
>> few of my folders.
>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Arnie K.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 7:31:05 PM
>there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>simply restored them.

Explain that in detail. Once the bak files are restored to the message
store, they don't automatically work.

We'll call one of the folders abc. Is it still listed in the OE folder tree?
If not, create it. Open it up and then Close OE.

Open the Recycle Bin and restore abc.bak to the message store. Now, if the
abc.dbx file is still there, you must drag it out. To the Desktop is fine.
Now rename abc.bak to abc.dbx. Open OE. Is the abc folder there with
messages in it? If not, you need a recovery tool.

DBXpress:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

You may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal recovery
mode fails to find the lost messages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow this advice in the future, especially backing up.

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user defined
folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

--

> [...]
>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I hope someone can help!
>>> I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express
>>> folders.
>>> My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from
>>> a few of my folders.
>>> I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were
>>> lost) out of the recycle bin.
>>> If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx
>>> file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails.
>>> Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file?

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 7:43:33 PM
Hi Bruce,
I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out to
the desktop, etc. etc.
Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted dbx
file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
Thanks again,
Arnold
> [...]
>>> same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg:
>>> If the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the
>>> new folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty,
>>> continue on to the next step.
>>>
>>> First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If
>>> there is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.
>>>
>>> If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
>>> click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
>>> the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to
>>> .dbx. Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be
>>> back in the folder.
>>>
>>> If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete
>>> the old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 8:23:13 PM
1: No.

2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by some
of the alphabet agencies).
--

> [...]
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> Thanks for your info.
>>> Unfortunately I've already tried what you wrote which I found even
>>> before I posted my question on the newsgroup. It did not work!
>>> Maybe a little more info would help!
>>> After my computer shut down, I rebooted and went to outlook express to
>>> see if anything was wrong.
>>> There I found about four folders that were emptied of all the emails
>>> that were in them. Many other folders were not effected.
>>> Since I had done compacting many times before with no issues I knew that
>>> the system creates these .bak files and puts them in the recycle bin.
>>> there I found the .bak files of the DBX files that were effected and I
>>> simply restored them. The one .bak file that I am most interested in is
>>> very large, about 12 MB. This I'm pretty sure represents the emails I am

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 8:29:55 PM
I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
> [...]
>>>
>>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>>> until the compacting is completed.
>>>
>>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
>>> layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
>>> such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V
>>> program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>>
>>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>>> and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>>>
>>> And backup often.
>>>
>>> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 9:09:38 PM
Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.

Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
cumulative programs of earlier editions.
--

>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I discovered
>that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on my
>computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
>compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Bruce
11/14/2009 9:23:49 PM
As I said Bruce I downloaded and tried to install but it won't.
Says install error and closes.

> Sure. Get .NET Framework 2.0
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en
>
> Reboot and then check in at Windows Updates for any patches.
>
> Note that all versions of .Net Framework are separate programs. Not newer
> cumulative programs of earlier editions.
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>discovered that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions
>>of it on my computer and they would not let the install happen. Other
>>versions are not compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 10:26:30 PM
If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is already
installed, Arnie.

Arnie wrote:
> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
> discovered
> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
> my
> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are not
> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1: No.
>>
>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>> I did follow your original directions to the letter. Dragged the DBX out
>>> the desktop, etc. etc.
>>> Before I purchase the recovery tool I have two other questions.
>>> 1. Is it at all possible to open the .bak file itself?
>>> 2. What is your best guess about whether the emails from the corrupted
>>> dbx
>>> file are still somewhere on my hard drive?
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Arnold
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
PA
11/14/2009 10:32:30 PM
Thanks PA Bear,
I did realize that at some point.
Arnold
> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
> already installed, Arnie.
>
> Arnie wrote:
>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>> discovered
>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>> my
>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>> not
>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> 1: No.
>>>
>>> 2: If you are asking what the chances of recovery are, while nothing is
>>> guaranteed, DBXpress has a very high success rate. (It is even used by
>>> some of the alphabet agencies).
>>> --
>>>
>>>              Bruce Hagen
>>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Arnie" <akomet@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

0
Arnie
11/14/2009 11:28:58 PM
So you should be able to install DBXpress without having to install the the
framework.  Do you still get an error?

Also, as I indicated before, you can import a bak file the same way as a dbx
file:  www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

steve

> Thanks PA Bear,
> I did realize that at some point.
> Arnold
>> If .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is installed, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 is
>> already installed, Arnie.
>>
>> Arnie wrote:
>>> I decided to go with the DBXPRESS but reading the requirements I
>>> discovered
>>> that I need .net framework 2.0 installed. I have other versions of it on
>>> my
>>> computer and they would not let the install happen. Other versions are
>>> not
>>> compatible was the error message. Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks.
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

0
Steve

Message "class not registered" opening sheet with macros Excel 97
I have created a document with Macros and is password protected. I have sent it to several people who are able to use it - the one who can't is using Excel 97 SP2. They are getting error message "class not registered" - could it be the version they are using and how do I make sure they are able to use it. This could simply be a version issue if you developed on a later version and used controls from that versions object libraries. You should always use the lowest version to develop on. If this is not the case look in the VBE on the faulty machine and check tools>ref...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

cannot open outlook 2000
"this opration has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" I have already tried the steps listed in MS Knowledge Base article 310049, with no luck. Any other suggestions ? Thanks. ...

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

Unable to open Access 95 mdb in Access 97
Hi I am trying to open an old Access 95 mdb in Access 97...I didn't create it but someone who knew the database way back when said that a system.mda file was created for that particular database because it had a lot of personal info in it. (I am not familiar with mda files...the database folder also had a system.ldb file there as well...I deleted that file...but am unsure why it wasn't closed out to begin with) I was able to open Access 97 and repair it...but when I go to open it in Access 97...I get an Automation Error...Cannot find VEENLR3.hlp file. Do you think it may ha...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Outlook 2002 multiple file opening
In Outlook 2000, CTRL A would select all attached picture files, then Open would, in my case, open the files in Paintshop Pro. With the 2002 version I cannot find a way to do this. Any suggestions? ...

"File: send to mail recipient" not working
When users (on WinXP) select file, "send to mail recipient", no response from Outlook 2002. This occurs either when Outlook is open or closed. Problem happens when rt. clicking on .doc, .xls, .pdf's....all files. Any ideas?? Thanks!! ...

Locks up when clicking on links in open web pages
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct discussion group, and if not, sorry for the trouble. Could you direct me if I'm wrong? The issue is that the internet connection locks up if I click on a link or attempt to print from within an open website. It does not happen each time, but often enough to make me want to pull my hair! I have to shut down the connection - the message says it is 'not responding,' and reconnect, sometimes 2 or 3 times, to be able to use the link from the website. I have a second laptop, and it doesn't have this problem. ...

When I open a workbook, another one called Book1 is also opened. W
This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared. Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook? "Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote: > This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can > switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it > by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbo...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Excel Template Wizard, Very Large File Size
Background: Excel 2000. I created a spreadsheet and used the template wizard that links to an Access 2000 database. The template was later used to create one record and saved as a spreadsheet. The database also contains this one record. Spreadsheet and database work fine. Later I reduced the Access field size properties (none are larger than 150, most are less than 50). There are 35 fields. Unexpected result: The Excel spreadsheet (template) and the linked Access database are huge. The spreadsheet is 35MB and the associated Access 2000 database is 24MB. Each contains one record (a si...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

ver 2007 will not open
When I click on the Word shortcut the cursor spins and nothing happens. When I click on an existing Word document I get the error "Windows can not find 'C:\Users\... filename.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." Things I've tried: Logging on with a different user account The Microsoft "Fix It" tool Starting in Safe Mode Using the "docx.txt and renaming to .reg file" Changing the default printer .... but nothing has worked. Other Info: OS: Vista Home Premium SP1 Microsoft Office 2007 Student & Home...

How do you open a second Excel spreadsheet in a separate window?
Load both spreadsheets and then select Window from the toolbar and clic Arrang -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26420 Load both spreadsheets and then select Window from the toolbar and clic Arrang -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this ...

OL2000
When opening an attachment in OL2000, the program creates a file in a temporary directory on my hard drive under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6A2\. This directory is filling up and I would like to clear it. Unfortunately in XP SP2, this directly is not visible in when exploring files in my computer. I believe that I have all "show hidden files and folders" settings checked. Also, the file explorer shows (sometimes) that there is a sub directory under "temporary internet files," but it does not show up when I look further....

Opening Word, the new doc says, "Document 1 -non-commerical use"
Every time I open a MS program (in Vista) the document pops up with the following at the top of the document, "Document 1 - non-commerical use only". Then what ever program I am in (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc) does not run, it crawls. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a fix? I have a sense it might have something to do with the language the program is in but have found not answers there either. Thanks for your assistance. On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 17:37:01 -0800, thedish <thedish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Every time I open a MS program (i...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Visio Professional 7
i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:38:01 -0700, sunman <sunman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have several visio files (20-40) pages in each and i need to merge them >into a single large visio file... is there a way to do this... inserting a >page at a time and copying the drawing is not practical I've just added this feature to the utilities at http://www.visio-utilities....

Missing File Names
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC When clicking on an Excel file I get the following message: ':Mac Excel Expander:Mac Excel Expander' could not be found. I also get this message when trying to launch a Word file. I have recently removed Office 2008 and reinstalled 2004. Thanks ...

How to create a URL and when user clicks it to open a Excel workbook
Hello All I want to place a Excel workbook on the web server and create a URL link to it and when the user clicks on it to the URL/vbscript behind it must launch Excel on the client and open the URL linked Excel workbook automatically. Can you please share the code HTMl & VB script snippet that can do this. Thanks Belinda Hi, Belinda. This is a machine setting (whether IE or Excel is used to open a workbook on a website), and I don't believe that it's controllable with VBA or any other kind of script. <-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->...