how to get Outlook Express to continue after failing to read a newsgroup message

I use outlook express as a newsreader. Sometimes I want to get the
entire server holdings of a particular newsgroup. Trouble is, OE seems
to snag when it was able to read a message header but for some reason
it can't retrieve the body. It snags with

  Outlook Express could not download the requested message. It is
likely that the message
  was removed or expired from the server.  Subject 'Simple
security??', Account:
  'news.nevrona.com', Server: 'news.nevrona.com', Protocol: NNTP,
Port: 119, Secure(SSL):
  No, Error Number: 0x800C006F

and the only option you have is to stop. Any messages after that one
you can't retrieve.

Has anybody seen this problem or know how to get around it?

TIA
Ross
0
rossmcm
6/23/2010 2:36:23 AM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The error message is probably telling you what happened. Servers only keep
messages for X days. The MSNews server keeps message for 90 days for
example. You need to find out what this server's limit is.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"rossmcm" <rossmcm@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I use outlook express as a newsreader. Sometimes I want to get the
> entire server holdings of a particular newsgroup. Trouble is, OE seems
> to snag when it was able to read a message header but for some reason
> it can't retrieve the body. It snags with
>
>  Outlook Express could not download the requested message. It is
> likely that the message
>  was removed or expired from the server.  Subject 'Simple
> security??', Account:
>  'news.nevrona.com', Server: 'news.nevrona.com', Protocol: NNTP,
> Port: 119, Secure(SSL):
>  No, Error Number: 0x800C006F
>
> and the only option you have is to stop. Any messages after that one
> you can't retrieve.
>
> Has anybody seen this problem or know how to get around it?
>
> TIA
> Ross

0
Bruce
6/23/2010 3:24:04 AM
On Jun 23, 3:24=A0pm, "Bruce Hagen" <B...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> The error message is probably telling you what happened. Servers only kee=
> messages for X days. The MSNews server keeps message for 90 days for
> example. You need to find out what this server's limit is.

OK, even if I knew what that limit was, how do I prevent OE snagging
(incidentally it seems to happen on most of the news servers I
subscribe to.  I suspect what happens is I request the headers from a
group at one time, and then at a later date I request the bodies.  In
the meantime the server has cleaned out the messages).

Would a possible solution be:

  - request all the messages in the groups
  - get the date of the first message it snags on in each group
  - delete all of the headers for older messages.

TIA

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Bruce Hagen
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0MS-MVP =A0[Mail]
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Imperial Beach, CA
>
> "rossmcm" <ross...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I use outlook express as a newsreader. Sometimes I want to get the
> > entire server holdings of a particular newsgroup. Trouble is, OE seems
> > to snag when it was able to read a message header but for some reason
> > it can't retrieve the body. It snags with
>
> > =A0Outlook Express could not download the requested message. It is
> > likely that the message
> > =A0was removed or expired from the server. =A0Subject 'Simple
> > security??', Account:
> > =A0'news.nevrona.com', Server: 'news.nevrona.com', Protocol: NNTP,
> > Port: 119, Secure(SSL):
> > =A0No, Error Number: 0x800C006F
>
> > and the only option you have is to stop. Any messages after that one
> > you can't retrieve.
>
> > Has anybody seen this problem or know how to get around it?
>
> > TIA
> > Ross

0
rossmcm
6/23/2010 8:17:46 PM
On Jun 24, 8:17=A0am, rossmcm <ross...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:24=A0pm, "Bruce Hagen" <B...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Update.  I have found that the problem relates only to particular
messages or threads, not all messages older than a certain date, which
is what I originally suspected.

If I find the header for the message that OE snags on and delete that
header and any messages threaded from that one and then resynchronize
OE, it seems to start downloading from where it left off.  That is,
until it strikes another message it can't download.  I've had to
restart it 3 times so far.

rossmcm
6/23/2010 10:37:08 PM
I really don't know what is causing this.
--

On Jun 24, 8:17 am, rossmcm <ross...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:24 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <B...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Update.  I have found that the problem relates only to particular
messages or threads, not all messages older than a certain date, which
is what I originally suspected.

If I find the header for the message that OE snags on and delete that
header and any messages threaded from that one and then resynchronize
OE, it seems to start downloading from where it left off.  That is,
until it strikes another message it can't download.  I've had to
restart it 3 times so far.

Bruce
6/23/2010 11:29:53 PM
"rossmcm" <rossmcm@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 24, 8:17 am, rossmcm <ross...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:24 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <B...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Update.  I have found that the problem relates only to particular
messages or threads, not all messages older than a certain date, which
is what I originally suspected.

If I find the header for the message that OE snags on and delete that
header and any messages threaded from that one and then resynchronize
OE, it seems to start downloading from where it left off.  That is,
until it strikes another message it can't download.  I've had to
restart it 3 times so far.

***
Maybe unrelated, but I have experienced another kind of OE "choking" on
newsgroup messages with what seems like too many entries in the
"References:" field. My issue was with sending a reply to an article
with such a header. Like I said, maybe not related, but there may be a
commonality in all of the 'problem' headers that you could look for in
your particular instance.
***

0
FromTheRafters
6/24/2010 12:25:11 AM
You might try a refresh on the NG, whose message headers you have =
downloaded, prior to reading the messages.

steve

"rossmcm" <rossmcm@gmail.com> wrote in message =

On Jun 24, 8:17 am, rossmcm <ross...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:24 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <B...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Update.  I have found that the problem relates only to particular
messages or threads, not all messages older than a certain date, which
is what I originally suspected.

If I find the header for the message that OE snags on and delete that
header and any messages threaded from that one and then resynchronize
OE, it seems to start downloading from where it left off.  That is,
until it strikes another message it can't download.  I've had to
restart it 3 times so far.

Steve

outlook.exe not terminating
I'm running Office XP with Outlook 2002 under Windows XP Pro, current as of today, except that I have reverted the IE update to the previous version of mshtml.dll that scrolls correctly (this has had no effect on the problem I am about to describe). I typically have a lot of applications running - no big deal as I have a 3.04 P4 with 1GB of memory. A problem that happens several times a day is that outlook.exe remains in the Task Manager process list after I shut Outlook down. In older versions, there used to be a message that said "Please wait while Outlook shuts down&qu...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Using expression builder object
Hi, I'm developing a wizzard in Access which builds import templates for various data sources to a fixed set of tables. In step 3 the users must be able to build an expression ; for instance Left([Fieldx],20) . Now I would like to have a command button on my form which calls the Access expression builder to allow the users to use this to build the expression. This expression will then be stored in a text box linked to the templates table. Anybody know how to call and use this object from VBA code? -- Kind regards Noëlla DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInvokeBuilder I th...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...