Compacting - Folders File in use

Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated
Compacting Outlook Express
Before Compacting click on Local Folders
Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders.

Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ??
Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application.

Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused

problem persists.

Any offers of help please

--
Jim Bunton

0
Jim
11/19/2009 1:20:44 PM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?

Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and split
it up.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Compact Your OE Folders:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Jim Bunton" <jBunton@BlueYonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated
> Compacting Outlook Express
> Before Compacting click on Local Folders
> Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders.
>
> Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ??
> Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application.
>
> Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused
>
> problem persists.
>
> Any offers of help please
>
> --
> Jim Bunton

0
Bruce
11/19/2009 2:56:00 PM
Dear Mr Hagan
Thank you for responding to my posting.
My apologies - Fuile is a Typo

ok - g
o off line
go to top of tree (outlookexpress)
file > Folders > compact all

Runs (looks like all folders are done (but too fast to check exactly)
Until Folders File - hangs a while then
Error  - This folder is in use by Outlook express of anothe application
On clicking ok to these messages ends the compact process returns to
OutLookExpress

NOW have found another (possibly related issue)
News Groups
Reset List of news groups
Says system out of memory!
[certainly not windows out of memory as far as I can tell!)
and I note that I now do not have a complete list of news groups!

All in all it looks like uninstall OutLookExpress and Reinstall
BUT also looks like the Folders File has become damaged?

I have a folders.bak dated 7 th Nov in my recycle bin
AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.

If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly damaged
Folders File please.

PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening it
and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the individual
messages.

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?
>
> Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
> delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and
> split it up.
>
> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
> until the compacting is completed.
>
> Compact Your OE Folders:
> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
> --
>
>              Bruce Hagen
>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>          Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jim Bunton" <jBunton@BlueYonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated
>> Compacting Outlook Express
>> Before Compacting click on Local Folders
>> Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders.
>>
>> Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ??
>> Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application.
>>
>> Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused
>>
>> problem persists.
>>
>> Any offers of help please
>>
>> --
>> Jim Bunton

0
Jim
11/19/2009 4:27:09 PM
Dear Mr Hagan,
Got impatient so crossed my fingers and
renamed the current Folders.dbx
in C:\Documents and Settings\me\ . . . .  identities\ . . .  Outlook Express
to Folders.dbx.old
pasted in a backup several days old
[used the older one because the most current back up one had the same file
size as he current one.
THEN
tried problem 2  - couldn't reload news file list - worked fine
then tried compact all folders - worked fine.

However - thanks for your response and hope you find my solution helpful for
reference
Obviously keeping my fingers crossed for a day or two still!

Jim Bunton

> Dear Mr Hagan
> Thank you for responding to my posting.
> My apologies - Fuile is a Typo
>
> ok - g
> o off line
> go to top of tree (outlookexpress)
> file > Folders > compact all
>
> Runs (looks like all folders are done (but too fast to check exactly)
> Until Folders File - hangs a while then
> Error  - This folder is in use by Outlook express of anothe application
> On clicking ok to these messages ends the compact process returns to
> OutLookExpress
>
> NOW have found another (possibly related issue)
> News Groups
> Reset List of news groups
> Says system out of memory!
> [certainly not windows out of memory as far as I can tell!)
> and I note that I now do not have a complete list of news groups!
>
> All in all it looks like uninstall OutLookExpress and Reinstall
> BUT also looks like the Folders File has become damaged?
>
> I have a folders.bak dated 7 th Nov in my recycle bin
> AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.
>
> If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly damaged
> Folders File please.
>
> PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening it
> and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the
> individual messages.
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?
>>
>> Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
>> delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and
>> split it up.
>>
>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>> until the compacting is completed.
>>
>> Compact Your OE Folders:
>> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jim Bunton" <jBunton@BlueYonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated
>>> Compacting Outlook Express
>>> Before Compacting click on Local Folders
>>> Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders.
>>>
>>> Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ??
>>> Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application.
>>>
>>> Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused
>>>
>>> problem persists.
>>>
>>> Any offers of help please
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jim Bunton

0
Jim
11/19/2009 6:01:59 PM
The folder size is the size of the dbx file in the message store.

I believe Folders.dbx has become corrupted. Close OE and delete it in the
message store. Read this as a warning what to expect.

Consequences of deleting Folders.dbx:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#deldbx

Close OE and delete Folders.dbx from the message store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

A new Folders.dbx file will be created when you open OE.

You should be able to complete the compacting process now.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

"Jim Bunton" <jBunton@BlueYonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear Mr Hagan
> Thank you for responding to my posting.
> My apologies - Fuile is a Typo
>
> ok - g
> o off line
> go to top of tree (outlookexpress)
> file > Folders > compact all
>
> Runs (looks like all folders are done (but too fast to check exactly)
> Until Folders File - hangs a while then
> Error  - This folder is in use by Outlook express of anothe application
> On clicking ok to these messages ends the compact process returns to
> OutLookExpress
>
> NOW have found another (possibly related issue)
> News Groups
> Reset List of news groups
> Says system out of memory!
> [certainly not windows out of memory as far as I can tell!)
> and I note that I now do not have a complete list of news groups!
>
> All in all it looks like uninstall OutLookExpress and Reinstall
> BUT also looks like the Folders File has become damaged?
>
> I have a folders.bak dated 7 th Nov in my recycle bin
> AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.
>
> If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly damaged
> Folders File please.
>
> PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening it
> and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the
> individual messages.
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?
>>
>> Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
>> delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and
>> split it up.
>>
>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
>> until the compacting is completed.
>>
>> Compact Your OE Folders:
>> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
>> --
>>
>>              Bruce Hagen
>>            MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>          Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Jim Bunton" <jBunton@BlueYonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated
>>> Compacting Outlook Express
>>> Before Compacting click on Local Folders
>>> Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders.
>>>
>>> Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ??
>>> Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application.
>>>
>>> Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused
>>>
>>> problem persists.
>>>
>>> Any offers of help please
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jim Bunton

0
Bruce
11/19/2009 6:08:46 PM
Sorry. Had to go out for awhile. Posted my other response before I got this
one from you. Glad it's fixed.
--

> [...]
>> AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.
>>
>> If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly
>> damaged Folders File please.
>>
>> PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening it
>> and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the
>> individual messages.
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?
>>>
>>> Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
>>> delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and
>>> split it up.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything

0
Bruce
11/19/2009 6:14:38 PM
Dear Mr Hagen
Thanks again for your response to my posting.

Have stored your response for future reference.
Had a brief look at the article you sent the link to.
Looks very good. A style of writing which brings the potentially
dumbfounding to pretty much ctysal clarity.
A style to envy!

Now I can uncross my fingers - Thanks

Jim Bunton

> [...]
>> AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.
>>
>> If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly
>> damaged Folders File please.
>>
>> PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening it
>> and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the
>> individual messages.
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size?
>>>
>>> Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and
>>> delete the old one. If it is more than 300MB, create more folders and
>>> split it up.
>>>
>>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything

0
Jim
11/20/2009 9:50:54 AM
YW.
--

> [...]
>>> On clicking ok to these messages ends the compact process returns to
>>> OutLookExpress
>>>
>>> NOW have found another (possibly related issue)
>>> News Groups
>>> Reset List of news groups
>>> Says system out of memory!
>>> [certainly not windows out of memory as far as I can tell!)
>>> and I note that I now do not have a complete list of news groups!
>>>
>>> All in all it looks like uninstall OutLookExpress and Reinstall
>>> BUT also looks like the Folders File has become damaged?
>>>
>>> I have a folders.bak dated 7 th Nov in my recycle bin
>>> AND a Folders.dbx dated 18th Nov in my general backups.
>>>
>>> If no other solution to reinstall - any handy hints about possibly
>>> damaged Folders File please.
>>>
>>> PS - I can't see a way to find the size of a folder other than opening
>>> it and doing a spot of mental arithmetic to add up the sizes of the

0
Bruce

publisher did not recognize my files
after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "bosshossmotorcycle" <bosshossmotorcycle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA4DEA42-9ED4-4E5A-8BA0-F0D724EFCA90@microsoft.com... > after updating office 2000, I can no longer read my saved publications ...

Corrupted Personal.xls file in Excel 97 ??
Oops! This is a correction to the subject of my previous posting. Please excuse me. =========================================================== I am using Excel 97. As of a few days ago, every time I start Excel I get a dialogue box that says "Personal.xls is being modified by Milt" (that's me) and giving me three choices: (1) Open the Personal.xls as a Read Only file, (2) Notify me when it becomes available, (3) Cancel. No matter which choice I take, the same dialogue box appears the next time I start Excel. The only way I have found to stop getting that dialogue b...

Need Help Enabling Flags in OWA for Public Folder
Hello-- I set up a public folders (not default public folders) with permissions for access to only a limited group via OWA. Everything is working great except no one, including the Domain Administrator can "flag" a post. The Flag Column header is grayed out and when you click on it, it merely depresses. Any advice on how to enable the flags would be appreciated. Many thanks, sd On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:45:02 -0700, razor <razor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello-- > >I set up a public folders (not default public folders) with permissions for >access to ...

Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.
I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets. When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3 file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be around to do that always) Does anyone know how to resolve this. Thanks Naz ...

creating tmp files
Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp files. Thanks Chandra You cant "chandrak@futaiusa.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9a9701c4343c$e2f2c6a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... : Have Excel 2000 whenever click on save file it creates tmp : file too. How can I prevent excel from creating these temp : files. : Thanks : Chandra But accoding to documents on excel if the file is saved without error messages it renames the temp file with xls why do I still see the xls and tmp fi...

Removing Public Folder Replica(s)
I will be removing an Exchange 5.5 site from our environment later this week. I have found an article that goes over the process. One of the steps is to remove Public Folder Replicas from Exchange_Site_B. This is where I'm having trouble. When I try and remove the replica from Site_B, I get an error that I don't have permissions to perform this operation on the Information Store. The exact message follows: You do not have the permission required to complete the operation on the information store. Microsoft Exchange Information Store ID no: c1040af3 Now, I have checked permissio...

Opening other users folders
Howdy. How do you stop users from opening other user's folder, ie inbox, calendar, tasks. Inbox folders are NOT shared. Default and Anonymous permissions are "none." Privacy/Security problem. THanks in advance, Kenny ...

Could Excel be used as accounting software?
If so, any tutorials. (I don't want to learn or bky quick books) I jus want to keep tabs on business expenses and I would rather not do it o paper -- Freddy_Kruge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Freddy_Kruger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2962 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52382 Theoretically yes but practically no. There a lot of other softwares particularly databases that could do a lot than Excel. These include SAP,Oracle etc., Are you saying that excel wou...

Need help saving a file!
Well let me start off by saying that I feel lost using the Office 97 programs! I had to make a new resume so I got myself a template off of the site here. It opened up in publisher so that's where I created my resume. I've put a lot of time into it and now realize that I think I made a huge mistake! How the heck do I save it as a more "acceptable" file without screwing up the format??? (for uploading as an attachment) Or is that just not possible? I've tried saving it as a word document, but like I said, screws up the whole format. I'm really lost, don...

Sending files from Vista
Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with Outlook instead of Windows Mail. What settings do I have to change to get windows mail to do all my mail sending in this manner? "Stumped" <Stumped@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C240124-48D3-4EAB-B63B-8A0B20505905@microsoft.com... > Windows mail is my default mail client. But if I right click on a data or > picture file from my desktop or other areas it wants to send it with > Outlook >...

Inbox- Missing files/folders
This is the second time this has happened, I wonder if anyone can help. > Without any warning all the files and sub folders under my Inbox in Outlook > Express disappear totally but files in the Sent, Outbox, Deleted folders etc are all okay. Can > anyone tell me where they went and how to get them back. > Cheers. Hello, Please take a look at the following article. 321505 OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321505 If you check inbox.dbx file and there is no content of previous mail items, then there is n...

File Formate
I have five Excel files which contain the records of my previous 4 years Business matters. Suddenly yesterday when I opned one of my files I received the following messege. --------------------------------------- The file is not in recognizable formate. if you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Excel, click Cancel, then open the file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the file is damaged, click help for more information about...

File size limits and workarounds?
Hi All, I've run into the 2 gig file size limit on Outlook 2000 a couple times now. Is there a way to clean the files so I can avoid this in the future? The way I fixed things is that I deleted stuff, then made a new pst file and copied all the folders over to the new file. I went from just over 2gig to 1.3 gigs. I've done this once before I think, so I know I'll hit it again. Just wondering how to avoid all this. Thanks, me Maybe use the Archive options? But remember an archive has the same size limitation, so at some point you would need to create a new Archive fil...

Can't delete file in Outlook express outbox
I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can' delete it -- PhoenixVP ----------------------------------------------------------------------- PhoenixVPC's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=468 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187101402 PhoenixVPC, you wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:46:14 -0500: > I have a large email file in my outbox that won't send and I can't > delete it. Close Outlook Express and search for the file "Outbox.dbx" on your system. Delete it an restart OE. Best Regards Christian Goeller -...

Filtered Rows using Mode Function?
Hi Excel Forum, I am using numeric "filtered" data and I need to find the most frequen / re-occurring values (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.) from the visibl filtered rows. The Mode function seemed likely, but I cannot get it t work with filtered rows. Can you assist with working examples, please: Formula based input direct on worksheet. VBA Macro using Formula. VBA UserDefined Function. Thank you QT -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I would use one of 2 methods :- 1. Formula in another column and sort descending :- =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A16) Need to sort out dupl...

Can I move an old user's email to a public folder?
I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our business. Is this possible? Thank you in advance. Frank On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:47:02 -0700, Zach <zach@news.postalias> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to >a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is >disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our >bu...

Add item using HTML Status Bar
I want to add a bunch of pictures of items to the HTML status bar and have the item added to the transaction when the cashier clicks on the item. Is that possible? I have the customization guide, I can modify the status.htm file to display the pictures, but I just need the code to add to the HTML file to trigger the adding of the item (again, if possible). P.S. I don't want to use the custom POS buttons (I already know how to add items that way). I almost have it figured out. I added this code to the Status.htm file: function addit() { qsBridge.FireEvent("PerformAddItem...

problem with fonts using Word as editor #3
All new messages come up with a superscript font. I remove the check mark and go into default, but new msgs keep coming up in superscrip.What is one to do? Leo Leo Kerner <l.kerner@sympatico.ca> wrote ... > All new messages come up with a superscript font. I remove the check > mark and go into default, but new msgs keep coming up in superscrip.What > is one to do? Since you keep asking, I'll reply with my first reaction to all word-as-email-editor problems: don't use Word as your email editor. It's a simple and 100% effective solution to this and a whole host of ot...

Change a cell's value using a button
Hi - I know its possible but have no idea how to do it - How do I set up a cell with two buttons attached to it that increase and decrease the value in the cell? I.e. if I have a cell with 10% in it and hit the "up" button, the number goes up by 0.5% and down by the same amount if I hit the "down" button? I am pretty good in Excel but dont know anything about macros - but Im really not sure where you find this function. Thanks for your help in advance anyone! -- Ashley No macros required. Use a spin button control rather than 2 buttons. Follow these steps: 1. Go to...

Having some problems saving excel files
I had a Excel file that was worked on using a Office XP machine, and know it is back on my Mac. Know everytime I save I keep on getting this message everytime using Office 98 for Mac. "This file was created using a later version of Microsoft Excel. If you save this file using Microsoft excel 98, information created with features in the later version may be lost." I have tried the following. 1) Saving as a new file and renaming it 2) Saving as Excel 5.x, and then back to Excel 98 3) deleting the Cell comments that I created in Excel XP, and redoing them in Excel 98 Thank...

Trouble with contacts backup using Windows Mobile Device Center.
(Also posted in old thread relating to the subject) Hi, I joined the forum specifically for this problem and this is my first post. I'm just going to spare you all the introductory bs and get down to my concerns. And I didn't bother reading past the first page of this thread even though it is apparently like four years old and a solution has probably already been found. Forgive me, but I'm really frustrated because I'm pretty good with computers and I've been at a standstill trying to fix this for about 5 hours now. I'm running Windows Vista Home Editi...

Importing CSV files into excel
Just a suggestion, but I don't see where anyone would ever want their imported data changed by default. How about having CSV files import to format TEXT by default and letting the user decide if he wants to make changes instead of making changes that cannot be undone by default. (the "general" formatting that changed all your numbers around) I've given up on using Excel to look at my data files that contain numbers, instead using wordpad and 3rd party freeware to edit data. Minutes instead of seconds to import a file that has dozens of columns of fixed width - lead...

Problem with Executable File generated using Debug Build
Hi All, I am facing a really wierd problem. I am working on a project in which I have implemeted a GUI for controlling laser microscopes. Everything was going fine till I added support for Filter Wheels. The program compiles perfectly fine. Runs perfectly fine if I run it using Microsoft Visual Studios. But When I try to run the program by double clicking on its icon in the debug folder, the program shows that main frame and then hangs. The problem was not there before I added the code for filter wheels. I am placed all the DLL files in the debug folder. Could any body help me out. Regard...

Transform using DoCmd.RunSQL fails
Hi, my transform is failing with ERROR 2342 , How can I redo this... basically I want my "detect" to be the column headers and "values" as rows.. This run fine in query window but I am trying to automate the transform process DoCmd.RunSQL "TRANSFORM First(test.value) AS FirstOfct_num SELECT test.Sample, test.user FROM test GROUP BY test.Sample, test.user PIVOT test.detect;" data below.. Sample User Detect Value 5442 img Test 1 Undetermined 5442 img Test 2 27.7402 5442 img Test 3 33.0166 Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster....