address book group problem

I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at the
bottom of the small window one at a time.
Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one
entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries
which I put in.
Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the eight
entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose
the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again.
TIA
Pete

0
Peter
3/6/2010 5:17:26 PM
outlookexpress.general 525 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you.

Open the Address Book | New | Group. Name the group and the Select
Members. Hold the Ctrl key down while you click on each name to highlight
them. When they are all highlighted, let go of the Ctrl key and click the
Select button and then OK.

That should do it.
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message
>I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at
>the bottom of the small window one at a time.
> Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one
> entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries
> which I put in.
> Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the
> eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if
> I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get
> them again.
> TIA
> Pete

0
Bruce
3/6/2010 5:31:27 PM
That was my first thought, Bruce. However the entries are not in my main
address book list, only in the group when I double click it as I said I am
reluctant to try too much as if I lose the entries they will be difficult
for me to get again.
Pete

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you.
>
> Open the Address Book | New | Group. Name the group and the Select
> Members. Hold the Ctrl key down while you click on each name to highlight
> them. When they are all highlighted, let go of the Ctrl key and click the
> Select button and then OK.
>
> That should do it.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at
>>the bottom of the small window one at a time.
>> Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one
>> entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries
>> which I put in.
>> Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the
>> eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if
>> I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them
>> again.
>> TIA
>> Pete

0
Peter
3/6/2010 6:56:40 PM
I've never done it with people not in my address book. Perhaps creating a
second address book would be the answer.

http://www.insideoe.com/tips/morewabs.htm
--

> That was my first thought, Bruce. However the entries are not in my main
> address book list, only in the group when I double click it as I said I
> am
> reluctant to try too much as if I lose the entries they will be
> difficult
> for me to get again.
> Pete
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you.
>>
>> Open the Address Book | New | Group. Name the group and the Select
>> Members. Hold the Ctrl key down while you click on each name to
>> highlight them. When they are all highlighted, let go of the Ctrl key
>> and click the Select button and then OK.
>>
>> That should do it.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at
>>>the bottom of the small window one at a time.
>>> Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows
>>> one entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight
>>> ehtries which I put in.
>>> Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the
>>> eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as
>>> if I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to
>>> get them again.
>>> TIA
>>> Pete

0
Bruce
3/6/2010 7:03:15 PM
Is MS Office or Outlook also installed?

If you create a new identity (File | Identities | Add new identity) and
create a Group the same way in the new identity's Address Book, do you see
the same behavior?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Peter Chadbund wrote:
> I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at
> the
> bottom of the small window one at a time.
> Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one
> entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries
> which I put in.
> Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the eight
> entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose
> the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again.
> TIA
> Pete

0
PA
3/6/2010 7:04:18 PM
I coppied and pasted them all into my address book using the view where I
could see all the entries, then added them all to a new group. With a little
experimenting it seems that a group will not accept an entry which is not in
the main body of the address book.The one which was showing by clicking on
the group happened to already be in my address book.It just so happened that
I had only one need to record these email addresses which was why I created
the group in the first place rasther than put them in the main body of the
address book.

> I've never done it with people not in my address book. Perhaps creating a
> second address book would be the answer.
>
> http://www.insideoe.com/tips/morewabs.htm
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message
>> That was my first thought, Bruce. However the entries are not in my main
>> address book list, only in the group when I double click it as I said I
>> am
>> reluctant to try too much as if I lose the entries they will be difficult
>> for me to get again.
>> Pete
>>
>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you.
>>>
>>> Open the Address Book | New | Group. Name the group and the Select
>>> Members. Hold the Ctrl key down while you click on each name to
>>> highlight them. When they are all highlighted, let go of the Ctrl key
>>> and click the Select button and then OK.
>>>
>>> That should do it.
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>>

>>> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message

0
Peter
3/6/2010 7:19:06 PM
An Address Book group is not a good place to store email addresses.
Groups do not import or export.
Use a second wab file or save the addresses in a csv file.
As you said in your original post, only addresses in the Address Book
display unless viewing the properties of the group.  I think that would also
apply to printing or coping the group addresses.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

> I coppied and pasted them all into my address book using the view where I
> could see all the entries, then added them all to a new group. With a
> little experimenting it seems that a group will not accept an entry which
> is not in the main body of the address book.The one which was showing by
> clicking on the group happened to already be in my address book.It just so
> happened that I had only one need to record these email addresses which
> was why I created the group in the first place rasther than put them in
> the main body of the address book.
> Pete
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've never done it with people not in my address book. Perhaps creating a
>> second address book would be the answer.
>>
>> http://www.insideoe.com/tips/morewabs.htm
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> That was my first thought, Bruce. However the entries are not in my main
>>> address book list, only in the group when I double click it as I said I
>>> am
>>> reluctant to try too much as if I lose the entries they will be
>>> difficult
>>> for me to get again.
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

0
Ron
3/7/2010 12:31:02 AM
Robear,
Peter is seeing normal behavior.
Adding members to a group using the fields at the bottom of group properties
creates a member name with blue lines on a gray Rolodex card.
Member names that are also in the Address Book will have green lines on a
white Rolodex card.
Only a name or only an address can be added with the bottom fields.
Only group members that are also in the Address Book will display when you
highlight the group in the Folders and Groups pane.
Group members added with the bottom fields will not copy, so they cannot be
pasted to another group or to a Windows folder.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

> Is MS Office or Outlook also installed?
>
> If you create a new identity (File | Identities | Add new identity) and
> create a Group the same way in the new identity's Address Book, do you see
> the same behavior?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Peter Chadbund wrote:
>> I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at
>> the
>> bottom of the small window one at a time.
>> Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one
>> entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries
>> which I put in.
>> Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the
>> eight
>> entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose
>> the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again.
>> TIA
>> Pete

0
Ron
3/7/2010 3:12:19 AM
Don't tell me, tell him!  (There is a method to my madness, Ron.)

Ron Sommer wrote:
> Robear,
> Peter is seeing normal behavior...
0
PA
3/7/2010 6:34:31 AM
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all you guys who have helped to
enlighten me - I always reckon the best way to learn is to make mistakes,
then someone who understands your mistake to explain it to you so you can
solve the problem.
One of the biggest problems I find with many of the "general purpose"
programs is that they are full of facilities which most people do not use
most of the time and when you do need them, if you can find them, it takes
ages to find out how they work! One reason why I use MS Works rather than
Office, then save my files as Word or Excel etc if necessary to share them.
Peter

> Don't tell me, tell him!  (There is a method to my madness, Ron.)
>
> Ron Sommer wrote:
>> Robear,
>> Peter is seeing normal behavior...

0
Peter
3/7/2010 3:51:56 PM
There seems to be some confusion here; addresses don't HAVE to be in the
regular listing, but it' often handy to have them there is you only want to
address one of or part of the group.

To create a group of contacts:

You can create a single group name (or alias) to use when sending a message
to several contacts at once. Simply create a group name and add individual
contacts to the group. Then, just type the group name in the To box when you
send e-mail.
In the Address Book, select the folder in which you want to create a group.
Click New on the toolbar, and then click New Group.
The Properties dialog box opens. In the Group Name box, type the name of the
group.

There are SEVERAL WAYS TO ADD people to the group:

To add a person from your Address Book list, click Select Members, and then
click a name from the Address Book list.

To add a person directly to the group WITHOUT adding the name to your
Address Book, type the person's name and e-mail address in the lower half of
the Properties dialog box, and then click Add.
To add a person to both the group and your Address Book, click New Contact
and fill in the appropriate information.

To use a directory service, click Select Members, and then click Find.
Select a directory service from the drop-down list at the end of the text
box.
After finding and selecting an address, it is automatically added to your
Address Book.

Repeat for each addition until your group is defined.
 Note
To view a list of your groups separately from the Address Book listings, in
the Address Book, on the View menu, make sure that   *Folders and Groups*
is selected.
You can create multiple groups, and contacts can belong to more than one
group.

HTH,

Twayne`

In news:M4SdnRv67a8tNw_WnZ2dnUVZ8jydnZ2d@brightview.co.uk,
Peter Chadbund <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> typed:
> I coppied and pasted them all into my address book using
> the view where I could see all the entries, then added them
> all to a new group. With a little experimenting it seems
> that a group will not accept an entry which is not in the
> main body of the address book.The one which was showing by
> clicking on the group happened to already be in my address
> book.It just so happened that I had only one need to record
> these email addresses which was why I created the group in
> the first place rasther than put them in the main body of
> the address book.  Pete
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've never done it with people not in my address book.
>> Perhaps creating a second address book would be the answer.
>>
>> http://www.insideoe.com/tips/morewabs.htm
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Peter Chadbund" <peter@wizardclassics.co.uk> wrote in
>> message
>>> That was my first thought, Bruce. However the entries are
>>> not in my main address book list, only in the group when
>>> I double click it as I said I am
>>> reluctant to try too much as if I lose the entries they
>>> will be difficult for me to get again.
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

0
Twayne

Exchange 2k Journaling Problem
The company I work for is going to be moving locations in the next couple of months and, due to the move and several other factors, our email server will be down for a couple of days. As a stop gap measure, we have contracted with a 3rd party, Front Bridge AMC, to handle the email for us during that time period. The Front Bridge AMC maintains 30 days worth of email for each user and allows web access to their email, similiar to OWA. Email that arrives from an external source (hotmail for example) destined for the company I work for is captured, as is internal email destined for outsi...

Problem with connecting automatically
I have a little problem with my Outlook. When I start the program it doesn't connect automatically anymore, I have to wait for about a minute. I've tried to change the setting in Tools>Option (General tab/Send recieve mail) but with no luck. ...

Active Directory problems/dcdiag
I have some problems when i do dcdiag. In the directory service I have a lot of Event IDs 1865, 1311, 1312. I tried a lot of articles on the MS Websites, but still can't figure out how to resolve the problem. We have two locations connected over the internet with two VPN servers. One of the sites has a slow 5MB DSL connection. Also notice the Time service error at the end. Any help is appreciated. Domain Controller Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Done gathering initial info. Doing initial required tests Testing server: Location1\MyServer1 Starting test: Connecti...

MSCRM 3.0 importing Chinese character problem
Hi, I use MSCRM 3.0, when importing, found the original Chinese character be changed to odd code, how can I solve this problem? ...

New to Access 2007
Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tables, forms, etc. But when I select a form, I can only open it; the option to Design the form is greyed out and the entire Forms tab in the Ribbon is greyed out too. Help! Thanks much, Glenn "Glenn H" <glenn@pivotal-z.com> wrote in message news:1187024333.492672.70330@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I am new to Access 2007 and having trouble working with a 2003(?) > MDB. I opened it with the Shift Key down and I can see the tabl...

How do I print a select number of address records from Access
I'm trying to print just a select number of records for a mailing that I'm doing. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Thanks. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:23:04 -0800, robbie6 <robbie6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to print just a select number of records for a mailing that I'm >doing. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Thanks. Create a Query based on the table containing the addresses (and perhaps other tables). View the query's Properties (with the View menu item, or rightclick the background behind the table icons and sele...

Import Problems in Feb 2010
I am using Money 2006, I have 4 accounts that I import transactions to. Two regulary banking accounts work fine. Two credit accounts will no longer import transactions. Actually they import and the account shows there are items to review but the transactions are not visible in the account. I tried deleting the account and re-importing jan/feb but after importing jan, the feb items import ok and 19 items are listed for review but none of them are visible again. I tried deleting again and just imported Feb. A few items came in but not everything and then I could not import J...

Pivot table chart problem, How to show different subtotal levels
Hi, Using Excel 2003, I have a pivot table using external data via ODBC. I have a chart based on my pivot table. The table and chart are working correctly. The PTcontains two levels of sales subtotals 1st level is by county 2nd level is by state. My client is telling me that the data in the chart is too detailed. He wants to have the both levels of subtotals in the PT, but only the county subtotals in the chart. If I delete the county sales subtotals from the chart, they are also deleted from the PT. Is it possible for the chart to be based on the PT and not show ...

Changing password problem
my users are not able to change their outlook passwords from their computers. I am running Exchange 2000, the clients are running Outlook 2000 and XP, on Windows NT/2000/and XP. Any ideas Eric Are your clients use exchange version of outlook or POP version of outlook? "Eric Graham" <egraham22@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:#Nl0C$$nEHA.800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > my users are not able to change their outlook passwords from their > computers. I am running Exchange 2000, the clients are running Outlook 2000 > and XP, on Windows NT/2000/and XP. Any ideas >...

Calculate As of Date Check Book Opening Balance
Hi Is there any way to calculate as of opening and closing balance of a given check for Payments and Deposits Listing report Module = Banak Management Regards Irfan ...

Cell Formating Problems
This is what I do: I open up a brand new worksheet. I format cell A1 to text. Then I enter the number 1 into it. Then I format the cell to Numeric and the 1 in the cell does not change. it stays as (left justified 1. If I delete the 1 and type a 1 into that cell and hit Enter, it become 1.00 (a number). Whats happening here??? Why doesn't it convert the 1 to a 1.00 when format the cell to numeric? Why do I have to re-enter the number -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com brain It was originally entered as Text. Simply re-formatting doesn't change its underlying ...

Extended Pricing price groups should allow multiple Units of Meas.
We categorize our items without regard to units of measure, and want to make an overall change to a particular category of items, e.g. increase the discount percent for all items in that category. But we cannot group these items into one price group because they have different units of measure. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft ...

Reply Problem #2
Can anyone tell me why when you REPLY to any email message, a number "7319" or equivalent appears in the "To" field? This just started happening to some systems with fresh installs of Office 2003/Windows XP. Thank you in advace... ...

Outlook 2003 Time problems
Hello, There are various emails that I receive that aren't getting the time marked correctly in Outlook even though my system time clock is set correctly. I check the time of the emails and there 1 hour behind. Any solutions? Is daylight savings time configured correctly? Also verify that this is set correctly for both the sender and the mail server. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Jessem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Advanced find, and the grouping and ungrouping of clauses
One of my users has come with this replicable issue: 1. Put in a number of line items in the Advanced Find, select the rows, and click "Group OR" 2. Run it - - it works fine. 3. Go back, ungroup the selection. 4. Add another line item, select rows, and click on the "Group OR" What happens: 1. The "OR" clause doesn't appear 2. The first line item in the Advanced Find disappears 3. There is a message of "Error on page" If you attempt to click "Group OR" again, the NEXT line item in the Advanced Find disappears. Has anyone else experience...

Problems in viewing Report
Hi we have installed the SQL and CRM in 2 different servers, running on win 2003. I face a problem when viewing reports as it keeps popping up dialog box for username and password which when not given gives a "page cannot be displayed" error. can anybody let me know why the logon request for report section is prompted. I tried to fiddle around with report section datasource, by selecting various options and it works only when a AD user is given in the credential section, since the user's password is prone for expiry, it will be risky to give that option. This is because i...

Serious Word Problem
Today my WORD 2007 suddenly refuses to recognize and open either doc or docx formatted files. With doc files I get the error message converter cannot open the document and it talks about converter file mswrd632.wpc needing to be removed and reinstalled. As for docx it says word can't read the information in the file. I am suspicious because of the large number of recent microsoft updates. Can anyone help with this? Hi, Many users are encountering this problem. See the "Known Issues" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 . -- Hope this helps, Pes...

Very strange laptop battery problem?
my laptop is a HP CG60-243CL and its about 7 months old. Whenever i would put my battery charger into my laptop it says "plugged in, not charging" this is when it's on. Most particularly it has a blinking LED light on the charging icon (Lightning bolt icon). However, when i charge it when it's put on shutdown/sleep/hibernate the LED light (The lightning bolt icon) has a solid white light. So therefore it is charging. Does anyone know the reason why my laptop is acting this way? -- gamobigz -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Outlook 2003: My "auto suggest" email address does not work after reboot
Running Windows 7 HP 64. After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. Never had that happened before. ??? "Hotkey" <noway@notnow.com> wrote in message news:OPqTXyHaKHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Running Windows 7 HP 64. > > After I access names in the Contact list, they will be auto suggested as I > start to type a letter, but if I reboot, its as if I've never done it. > > Never had that happened before. This is a sighn...

Win2008 R2 Hyper V problem
Hi, I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running on it. The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when the VM is running. I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can cause the problem but it still blows up. Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I just wasting my time? Thanks Bob bob wrote: > Hi, > I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running > on it. > > The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when > the...

Suppress printing of Subreport on the next page of the same group?
I am trying to print a summary page (subreport) followed by details. When it overflow to the next page, I do not want the summary page to appear again for the same group. How can I suppress printing of this report following a page break? I am pretty new to programming and I guess I need more details. Thanks Put the subreport in its own group section. -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "Kevin T" <KevinT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57CCBC43-E...

Exchange Server Problem (I need help)
Hello to you all! The medical clinic I work at has a network. We all have our own email address. Mine, for example is lpeacock@elcardiologist.com. The problem is this. I can send out email as much as I want and they go where I need them to go. However, when anyone attempts to send any of us email, to our work, we don't get them. Now we had experianced some MAJOR problems recently in the past to where the actual IT lady had to set everything back up because things just went down. So our email accounts worked without any problems. But now, we can't recieve anything from an...

problems with tabs
after installing service pack one for Office XP I lost all my tabs in a previous publication. I put them back in and the next time I opened it, they were missing again. The tabs stops are there, just not the tabs only a few spaces. Appears to be a problem with no resolve. -- Hi Wilma (wfreshwater@jam.rr.com) in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || after installing service pack one for Office XP || I lost all my tabs in a previous publication. I put them || back in and the next time I opened it, they were missing || again. The tabs stops are there, just not the tabs only a || few ...

Lookup Problem #2
Hello, I use this formula to sum numbers. I am trying to use the same formul to return text. What do I have to replace sum with? {=SUM(IF(A2>=Sheet2!$E$1:$E$51,IF(Sheet1!A2<=Sheet2!$F$1:$F$51,Sheet2!$G$1:$G$51,0)))} Thanks Gre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi thre's no such build-in function. How do you want to 'Sum' text values?. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Gbonda >" <<Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Gbonda.19r3p8@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hello, > > I use this form...

Search/Lookup Problem
Hi, I have a large list of invoice numbers, for which there can be more than 1 set of data, and I have no other value that could be used as a lookup value etc. Given something like: Col A Col B Row 1 123354 20 Row 2 114868 1235 Row 3 123354 400 Row 4 123354 546 Row 5 194583 2 How could I get separate sheet to lookup the invoice numbers in Col A, then return the respective Col B value, without returning the same number twice, eg 123354 20 123354 400 123354 546 114868 1235 194583 2 Any help would be greatfully received. Cheers Simon "Si...