XP Outlook error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook..."

After recently installing Office XP 2002 I haven't been able to open Outlook.
 I used Outlook a lot in my previous Office version and I had very extensive
Contact, Calendar, and E-mail folders.  The first error told me that Outlook
couldn't find my folders and then it shut down.  Now when I try to open
Outlook, I get an error that says "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Could not
open the item.  Try again."  I did some brief checking about it error on
other websites and was told that it might have something to do with a missing
secur32.dll file?  If so, how do I fix that?

Any help would be much appreciated since my business really depends on those
old contacts, calendar, and e-mail folders.

Thanks,
Dustin
0
Dustin (16)

Dustin <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> After recently installing Office XP 2002 I haven't been able to open
> Outlook.

You posted this same question eight minutes prior to this post.  No need to
post more than once.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

XP Outlook error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook..."
After recently installing Office XP 2002 I haven't been able to open Outlook. I used Outlook a lot in my previous Office version and I had very extensive Contact, Calendar, and E-mail folders. The first error told me that Outlook couldn't find my folders and then it shut down. Now when I try to open Outlook, I get an error that says "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Could not open the item. Try again." I did some brief checking about it error on other websites and was told that it might have something to do with a missing secur32.dll file? If so, how do I fix tha...

"cannot start microsoft outlook..." message with Outlook 2002 and Windows XP
Knowledge base article 287683 refers to pre-XP version of Windows. How can the "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook..." message that the earlier article refers to be prevented when installing Outlook in XP Professional? How about this article instead: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Iain" <Iain_Deas@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:020401c35851$d8604950$...

XP Outlook Error message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook..."
I recently loaded Microsoft Office XP 2002. I used Outlook all the time in my previous Office version and had large contacts, calendar, saved e-mail folders. When trying to open Outlook in XP, it said that it couldn't link me to my folders and shut down. Now when I try to open Outlook, it gives me an error that reads "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Could not open the item. Try again." I did a little online research on other websites and heard that it might have something to do with a missing secur32.dll file; however, I don't know how to add or replace that file....