Would like a basic lesson, please, in what these Email types mean and how they are used in AD

We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode).  We
use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration.  She is trying to
use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our
network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc.  She can
send and receive Internet email just fine.  She can send and receive email
at this wider network just fine.  She can send email to me (within our
network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me and I
reply to, never gets to her.  The funny thing is that we never get any
"undeliverable notification" messages.  It appears to me as though, as far
as MS Exchange Server is concerned, the email successfully went from my
machine, to hers, no problem.

Now, I just went to Active Directory, on the Exchange Server machine, and
looked at her profile.  This is what I saw:  On the E-mail Addresses tab
there is a list box titled "E-mail addresses".  In that list box there is 4
emails listed.  Here is what they are, listed the Type first and then the
Address second:

CCMAIL   Boss, Mary at OURDOMAIN

MS       University/OURDOMAIN/Maryb

SMTP     mboss@parent.com

X400     c=US;a=;P=University of Ne;o=OURDOMAIN;s=boss;g=Mary;

I know what SMTP is, and I would have thought that any email I send to her
would use SMTP, but I am wondering if I am wrong.  What are those other
things?  Do I need them?  For example, I know we don't use CCMAIL, but is it
necessary to have it?  How about the mail type "MS"?  If I were to remove
that, would that remove her mail box in Exchange?

Rod

0
rfalanga (3)

Removing the CCMAIL and MS (a.k.a. MSMail) addresses would not break
anything on her mailbox.  As for the message delivery issue, have you tried
using message tracking in ESM to find out what happens to the mail you send
her?

- Dave

"Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode).  We
> use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration.  She is trying to
> use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our
> network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc.  She can
> send and receive Internet email just fine.  She can send and receive email
> at this wider network just fine.  She can send email to me (within our
> network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me and I
> reply to, never gets to her.  The funny thing is that we never get any
> "undeliverable notification" messages.  It appears to me as though, as far
> as MS Exchange Server is concerned, the email successfully went from my
> machine, to hers, no problem.
>

> Now, I just went to Active Directory, on the Exchange Server machine, and
> looked at her profile.  This is what I saw:  On the E-mail Addresses tab
> there is a list box titled "E-mail addresses".  In that list box there is
4
> emails listed.  Here is what they are, listed the Type first and then the
> Address second:
>

> CCMAIL   Boss, Mary at OURDOMAIN
>
> MS       University/OURDOMAIN/Maryb
>
> SMTP     mboss@parent.com
>
> X400     c=US;a=;P=University of Ne;o=OURDOMAIN;s=boss;g=Mary;
>

> I know what SMTP is, and I would have thought that any email I send to her
> would use SMTP, but I am wondering if I am wrong.  What are those other
> things?  Do I need them?  For example, I know we don't use CCMAIL, but is
it
> necessary to have it?  How about the mail type "MS"?  If I were to remove
> that, would that remove her mail box in Exchange?
>

> Rod

0
dave2407 (3)
6/25/2003 11:49:54 PM
Hi Rod,

 The CCMail address is for co-existence between Exchange and Lotus Notes
ccMail. ccMail is a legacy product and is not supported by IBM any longer.

The MSMail address is for Microsoft MSMail, which is our mail application
prior to the release of Exchange 4.0.

The X.400 address is an international standard that uses the MTA to transfer
mail between two completely separate e-mail systems. The MTA on your
Exchange 2000 server can be used in such a scenario. X.400 is also the
native transport in Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000 uses SMTP.

If you had Exchange 5.5 servers in your Exchange Org first and installed
Exchange 2000 servers into the Site, the MTA would be used to transfer mail
between 5.5 and Exchaneg 2000.

You can remove the ccMail and MSMail address without any problems if your
not using either of the products.

I would leave all the addresses in place, they are harmless.

Thanks!

--
Jim Holbrook
Exchange Connectors Support

Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.
This posting is provided "As is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode).  We
> use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration.  She is trying to
> use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our
> network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc.  She can
> send and receive Internet email just fine.  She can send and receive email
> at this wider network just fine.  She can send email to me (within our
> network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me and I
> reply to, never gets to her.  The funny thing is that we never get any
> "undeliverable notification" messages.  It appears to me as though, as far
> as MS Exchange Server is concerned, the email successfully went from my
> machine, to hers, no problem.
>

> Now, I just went to Active Directory, on the Exchange Server machine, and
> looked at her profile.  This is what I saw:  On the E-mail Addresses tab
> there is a list box titled "E-mail addresses".  In that list box there is
4
> emails listed.  Here is what they are, listed the Type first and then the
> Address second:
>

> CCMAIL   Boss, Mary at OURDOMAIN
>
> MS       University/OURDOMAIN/Maryb
>
> SMTP     mboss@parent.com
>
> X400     c=US;a=;P=University of Ne;o=OURDOMAIN;s=boss;g=Mary;
>

> I know what SMTP is, and I would have thought that any email I send to her
> would use SMTP, but I am wondering if I am wrong.  What are those other
> things?  Do I need them?  For example, I know we don't use CCMAIL, but is
it
> necessary to have it?  How about the mail type "MS"?  If I were to remove
> that, would that remove her mail box in Exchange?
>

> Rod

0
JamesHol (1)
6/27/2003 12:30:09 AM
Dave,

No, I have not tried message tracking in ESM; I don't even know what ESM is.

Rod

"Dave Mills" <dave@exchange-mail.org> wrote in message
> Removing the CCMAIL and MS (a.k.a. MSMail) addresses would not break
> anything on her mailbox.  As for the message delivery issue, have you
tried
> using message tracking in ESM to find out what happens to the mail you
send
> her?
>
> - Dave
>
> "Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> > We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode).
We
> > use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration.  She is trying
> > use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our
> > network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc.  She can
> > send and receive Internet email just fine.  She can send and receive
email
> > at this wider network just fine.  She can send email to me (within our
> > network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me and
> > reply to, never gets to her.  The funny thing is that we never get any
> > "undeliverable notification" messages.  It appears to me as though, as
far
> > as MS Exchange Server is concerned, the email successfully went from my
> > machine, to hers, no problem.
> >

> > Now, I just went to Active Directory, on the Exchange Server machine,
and
> > looked at her profile.  This is what I saw:  On the E-mail Addresses tab
> > there is a list box titled "E-mail addresses".  In that list box there
is
> 4
> > emails listed.  Here is what they are, listed the Type first and then
the
> > Address second:
> >

> > CCMAIL   Boss, Mary at OURDOMAIN
> >
> > MS       University/OURDOMAIN/Maryb
> >
> > SMTP     mboss@parent.com
> >
> > X400     c=US;a=;P=University of Ne;o=OURDOMAIN;s=boss;g=Mary;
> >

> > I know what SMTP is, and I would have thought that any email I send to
her
> > would use SMTP, but I am wondering if I am wrong.  What are those other
> > things?  Do I need them?  For example, I know we don't use CCMAIL, but
is
> it
> > necessary to have it?  How about the mail type "MS"?  If I were to
remove
> > that, would that remove her mail box in Exchange?
> >

> > Rod

0
rfalanga (3)
6/27/2003 1:58:13 PM
ESM = Exchange System Manager.  It should be on every Exchange server you
have.

> Dave,
>
> No, I have not tried message tracking in ESM; I don't even know what ESM
is.

> Rod
>
> "Dave Mills" <dave@exchange-mail.org> wrote in message
> > Removing the CCMAIL and MS (a.k.a. MSMail) addresses would not break
> > anything on her mailbox.  As for the message delivery issue, have you
> tried
> > using message tracking in ESM to find out what happens to the mail you
> send
> > her?
> >
> > - Dave
> >
> > "Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> > > We use Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Server domain (native mode).
> We
> > > use MS Exchange Server 2000 for our email/collaboration.  She is
trying
> > > use the GroupWise client, and connected to a GW server, outside of our
> > > network, to do her email, check other managers' calendars, etc.  She
can
> > > send and receive Internet email just fine.  She can send and receive
> email
> > > at this wider network just fine.  She can send email to me (within our
> > > network), but any email I send to her, or any email she sends to me
and
> > > reply to, never gets to her.  The funny thing is that we never get any
> > > "undeliverable notification" messages.  It appears to me as though, as
> far
> > > as MS Exchange Server is concerned, the email successfully went from
my
> > > machine, to hers, no problem.
> > >

> > > Now, I just went to Active Directory, on the Exchange Server machine,
> and
> > > looked at her profile.  This is what I saw:  On the E-mail Addresses
tab
> > > there is a list box titled "E-mail addresses".  In that list box there
> is
> > 4
> > > emails listed.  Here is what they are, listed the Type first and then
> the
> > > Address second:
> > >

> > > CCMAIL   Boss, Mary at OURDOMAIN
> > >
> > > MS       University/OURDOMAIN/Maryb
> > >
> > > SMTP     mboss@parent.com
> > >
> > > X400     c=US;a=;P=University of Ne;o=OURDOMAIN;s=boss;g=Mary;
> > >

> > > I know what SMTP is, and I would have thought that any email I send to
> her
> > > would use SMTP, but I am wondering if I am wrong.  What are those
other
> > > things?  Do I need them?  For example, I know we don't use CCMAIL, but
> is
> > it
> > > necessary to have it?  How about the mail type "MS"?  If I were to
> remove
> > > that, would that remove her mail box in Exchange?
> > >

> > > Rod

0
dave2407 (3)
6/27/2003 3:22:54 PM
Sorry, yes I do have ESM on the Exchange Server.

Now, to answer your question, no I have not tried message tracking.  I don't
know how to do that.  I will go to the machine to try and figure that out,
but if you would please tell me how to go about setting up message tracking
I'd appreciate it.

> ESM = Exchange System Manager.  It should be on every Exchange server you
> have.
>
> - Dave
>
> "Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> > Dave,
> >
> > No, I have not tried message tracking in ESM; I don't even know what ESM
> is.
> >
> > Rod
> >
> > "Dave Mills" <dave@exchange-mail.org> wrote in message
> > > Removing the CCMAIL and MS (a.k.a. MSMail) addresses would not break
> > > anything on her mailbox.  As for the message delivery issue, have you
> > tried
> > > using message tracking in ESM to find out what happens to the mail you
> > send
> > > her?
> > >
> > > - Dave
> > >
> > > "Rod" <rfalanga@NO.SPAM> wrote in message
> > We
> trying
> can
> > email
> and
> > far
> my

> > and
> tab
> > is
> > > 4
> > the

> > her
> other
> > is
> > > it
> > remove

0
rfalanga (3)

Shared printers automatically adding themselves
I don't know if this is more appropriate for a SBS, Win XP, Vista, 7, or hardware NG, but I'll start here. We have SBS 2008 using a domain and a mix of clients running XP through 7. We have three network printers plus two USB printers that are shared from their host PCs to the network. My problem is that when I log onto a client and look at the list of printers in control panel I will see - 3 network printers - 3 more copies of the network printers for each client (Brother Printer on PC1, Brother Printer on PC2, etc.) - 2 USB printers on their correct host - 2 more cop...

email or phonecall in a calander?
Hi, I am new to CRM and wonder if email or phone call activity is updated into the calander as well as appointment. Thank you, Sunny The only way to do this is to use one of our ADD-Ons. The GroupCalendar for MSCRM 1.2 is an Add-On that allows you to see all activities in the GroupCalendar. Also you can look into the Calendar of other users if you have the security privileges. If you want to see all further functionallity go to www.mscrm-addons.com and download a trial version. -- -- Christian support@mscrm-addons.com www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! GroupCa...

Sending a Publisher 2003 Newsletter in an email.
I'd like to send a newsletter I created using publisher in an email. I've tried a few different ways to do it but I'm not satisfied. I've tried to save it as a picture and insert it into Word and then put it in my email but it looses quality. I've tried to save it as a web publication but it won't keep the pictures I have in my newsletter. Any help or suggestions would be great. K.V.O. wrote: > I'd like to send a newsletter I created using publisher in an email. > I've tried a few different ways to do it but I'm not satisfied. I've > ...

Is there a way I can only print the reply instead of the entire email message
I wonder if there is a way I can only print the reply to an email message, instead of printing the entire message? My choice for selection only seem to be gone with Outlook 2003 printing options. Any help is appreciated.............Peter ...

Missing something basic
Working with Access 2003. I have a table of users, their phone numbers, and job classes called tblUsers. A query extracts that information into qryUsers. I have a form that uses the query as the record source called frmUsers. The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select the user for which they wish to view data in other forms. It works fine for the first user on the list in the combobox. Selecting any other user in the combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's name. For example: The table and the query both contain: Timmy Bobby ...

coding a UI like Windows media Player in vc++
hi there i am writing an app which involves the management of digital stills and audio, and writing it in vc++6 i will use wmp to play audio, and i may have to write a custom skin just a general qst - what api/sdk is best to use to get that cool ui that microsoft have in wmp - ie, non-regular buttons etc cheers bhu ...

Not sending emails to groups
Hi, I am having a problem with my new laptop. I have several groups with several diff. emails for different people in diff. cities around the world. Whenever I want to send a email message to -- let's say -- people in NYC, if it is under a certain number of people the message is sent ok, but if it is let's say 40 people, it will be hanging in my outbox and it's NOT sent. I think Microsoft might have added some type of security feature that would unable viruses to send the same email message to my whole list. I might be wrong, but that's the only conclusion I could come u...

can someone explain what the icons mean
I have a question about the icons next to the email headings. for instance what does the little "i" mean next to the envelope that means it has tracking info attached. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/icons_mail.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visit...

outlook email #16
I have been using hotmail as my default email at home and using others for work. I would lide to receive all my emails at Outlood to reduce time wasted looking for the emails. darius On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:17:52 -0800, darius <darius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been using hotmail as my default email at home and using others for >work. I would lide to receive all my emails at Outlood to reduce time wasted >looking for the emails. > Get a paid Hotmail account and Outlook can be used to access the account. -- Rich Cervenka Chicago, Illinois, USA ...

Email addresses in a comma-delimited (CSV) file
I am trying to create a csv from another application to be imported into Excel. One of the columns will contain email addresses. Is there a way that I can format the data in the column to have the addresses be 'links' when brought into Excel. First, hyperlinks are not just formatting. The Insert|hyperlink style of hyperlinks are objects in excel. Second, CSV files are plain old text. They don't hold these kinds of objects. (And they also don't contain any formatting properties, either.) But third, you may be able to cheat a bit. Can you go back to the othe...

Exch 5.5 SP4
Hi One of my user sent an email to the client yesterday, Since then this user has been receiving return receipt every two minutes. Client has been also receiving the email in every 3 minutes. I have rebooted my server, Recreated the email address. Rest the IMS queue. Following is the email which my user are receving. Can any one please help. Thanks in advance -----Original Message----- From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@nl.sbc.com] Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 11:01 AM To: Valerie@.com Subject: Return receipt The original message was received at Sat, 3 Feb 2007 ...

Outlook replication changes valid email to lastname firstname
CRM 4.0, Outlook 2007, CRM Outlook Online Client with latest Rollup. When some users are sync contact information between Outlook and CRM, sync changes email address firstname.lastname@company.com in CRM to format lastname firstname. Not happen to all users. One reason can be there are also mobile sync between Outlook (Exchange) and mobile phone. But this is also used by many users and only some have problems. It is look like email is populated with Outlook display value, not the real email. Any ideas what setting (and where) is not right? Jukka Majander ...

Calculating or Adding Values that are 0
I have three fields that I need to total. When i do run the total nothing appears because one of the fields has a 0 value. The expression is not counting 0 values, how do I work around this? Is the value actually zero or Null? If it is null then use the NZ function like this -- Nz([Field1], 0) + Nz([Field2], 0) + Nz([Field3], 0) -- Build a little, test a little. "blanch2010" wrote: > I have three fields that I need to total. When i do run the total nothing > appears because one of the fields has a 0 value. > > The expression is not ...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

What does this mean?
What does this mean? I came across this code and do not understand this? bInReportOpenEvent = True I understand that it is looking to see if the report is "Open", but what does the "bIn" mean? Thank you. On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:35:01 -0800, TotallyConfused <TotallyConfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What does this mean? I came across this code and do not understand this? > >bInReportOpenEvent = True > >I understand that it is looking to see if the report is "Open", but what >does the "bIn" mean? > >Thank you. ...

External smtp email to public folder shown as post, not shown as email
Hi there, Exch2003 FE & BE servers, both running on w2k3 server, BE server also a DC & GC server. Now config public folder at BE, mail enabled it. For internal users, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as email. For external parties, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as post. Wondering how to tweak public folder so that external emails will shown as email instead of post? Many thanks! Try looking at the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817809 Martin Moustgaard "Zac" <zacfang@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:Og20iL...

Changing Inventory Item Types #2
In GP7.5, is there any way to change inventory item types once they have been used? Can the item be deleted and then recreated at the end of a year? Are there any utility programs that can do this? In particular, I've got some "sales inventory" items that I want to convert to "kits" and others that need to be "services" We are on 8.0, but I don't think it is possible to change the item type - not even with Professional System Tools. We have changed the item name (via tools) to include the word Discontinued. Then we set up a new item to repl...

Using variable names for cells
I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to the contents of a cell so that whenever I wanted to use the contents, all I had to do was call up the variable name. Unfortunately I cannot find the way to set up the process. Any suggestsions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks and a Happy New Year. -- Take out the trash to reply '05 FLHTCUI Hi dim rng as range set rng=activesheet.range("A1") msgbox rng.value -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ultraglide wrote: > I seem to remember a technique where I could assign a variable name to >...

free ad guru ebook
Dear friend, Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this, so you can be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. People are going mad for it. When the news was re...

I want to open archived email attachments
I don't want to save to disk first. There is no danger from viruses as these are emails I know the source for. Please help. "Scott" <bobbb.bbbbb@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1185979486.758557.219240@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com... >I don't want to save to disk first. There is no danger from viruses > as these are emails I know the source for. > Please help. > > And that attitude is EXACTLY how viruses get spread. How do you know 110% that the scource is NOT infected? "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message n...

Am I able to manage multiple email accounts
I have several email accounts including Gmail, HOtmail and corporate. I can't make Entourage mail (2004) list individual accounts or find how to manage profiles. Apple mail works but doesn't allow me to insert a tiff company logo without making it an attachment. Outlook allows for all of the above.<br> Appreciate help > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3285235088_9822952 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 2/7/08 1...

How do I use excel names with INDIRECT with charts
Hello, I want to create a Chart that does not directly reference cell-ranges (i.e. A1:A6), but excel-names that make the reference sheet-independent. My aim is to be able to copy one chart to other worksheets, which have their dataareas at the same places like the source-sheet. Problem: This works fine in cells but not in charts Excel name definition: =INDIRECT("R3C2";0):INDIRECT("R3C5";0) Any idea about this? Thanks in advance, Holger. You have to include the sheet name in the final formula that you want XL to use. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.co...

SBS2003 + Internet Explorer
We have a customer who has an SBS 2003 Premium server with ISA 2004 They have just installed a bolt on to Outlook which searches their mailboxes or something. They have discovered that they cannot get this to work unless the untick the 'Use automatic configuration script' in Internet Explorer. Trouble is each time they re-boot a PC the tick comes back, so sounds like it's a policy setting somewhere. What is this ? Where is it configured and what are the implications of turning it off ? Could it be that rather than turn it off whatever it is ought to be con...

i have problem with password to email server
i just got on the sight. How do i go about finding out the password to outlook express to the email server. I have to set up a internal email system. and everytime i get to log on outlook express it pops up with a window to enter a user and password. but i dont know it. How do i get my password back. can i get in touch with isp and get it. ...

cursor moves to where my pointer is while i type
while i am typing in Word or in blogs my cursor will move to the location of the pointer instead of remaining at the end of the last line that i typed. for example, right now while typing this message, the cursor jumped up to the first line of text and i started typing in the middle of that sentence. if my pointer is above the last line of text that i have typed, instead of newly typed words appearing where they belong, at the end of the line that i am typing, they will appear wherever the pointer happens to be located. this takes place about once every few minutes, and if i am not loo...