word attachments on e-mail, docx files, recipient unable to open

I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the way I
always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files and
the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and
microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that I
have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my hair is
now falling out. Please help!
0
EvoR (1)

That's because Word 2007 saves documents in a new format, .docx, unless told
to do otherwise.  There are two solutions:

1. Do a "Save As" and save documents in Word 97-2003 format
2. Have your recipients install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101686761033.aspx
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007
file formats

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"EvoR" <EvoR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the way
> always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files
and
> the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and
> microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that
> have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my hair
is
> now falling out. Please help!

0
hhh6225 (363)
5/7/2008 11:00:48 PM
"EvoR" wrote in

> I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the way I
> always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files and
> the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and
> microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that I
> have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my hair is
> now falling out. Please help!

"all of a sudden"
"recently gone [on]to Vista and Microsoft Office 2007"

Well, you already answered the question as to what you recently changed
that would cause the "all of a sudden" problem.

Solution: Don't send .docx files.
0
V4521 (722)
> "EvoR" wrote in
>
>> I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the
>> way I
>> always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files
>> and
>> the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and
>> microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that
>> have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my
>> hair is
>> now falling out. Please help!
>
> "all of a sudden"
> "recently gone [on]to Vista and Microsoft Office 2007"
>
> Well, you already answered the question as to what you recently changed
> that would cause the "all of a sudden" problem.
>
> Solution: Don't send .docx files.

In the OP's defence, AFAIR there is nothing in Office 2007 that says that
the default document format is NOT compatible with prior versions....there's
not even a dialog box that tells the user that the default document format
has even changed....

0
gbplinux (1141)
5/8/2008 6:39:34 AM
"Gordon" wrote in <news:fvu772$oj2$1@news.mixmin.net>:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> "EvoR" wrote in
>>
>>> I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the
>>> way I
>>> always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files
>>> and
>>> the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and
>>> microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that
>>> have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my
>>> hair is
>>> now falling out. Please help!
>>
>> "all of a sudden"
>> "recently gone [on]to Vista and Microsoft Office 2007"
>>
>> Well, you already answered the question as to what you recently changed
>> that would cause the "all of a sudden" problem.
>>
>> Solution: Don't send .docx files.
>
> In the OP's defence, AFAIR there is nothing in Office 2007 that says that
> the default document format is NOT compatible with prior versions....there's
> not even a dialog box that tells the user that the default document format
> has even changed....

Depends on how long "always" represents in the OP's post.  Always could
be 1 minute or it could be many years.  If the OP has been using Word
for several months, or longer, then they should've been quite aware of
what were the filetypes being generated by the older version of Word.
If you had been generated .doc files for years and then saw it change to
..docx, you wouldn't be curious as to why the change?  If you drove up to
your house that was painted blue many years ago but today it was yellow,
the color change wouldn't raise your eyebrow and make you wonder what
happened?
0
V4521 (722)
5/8/2008 8:08:29 AM
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> If the OP has been
> using Word for several months, or longer, then they should've been
> quite aware of what were the filetypes being generated by the older
> version of Word.

Not necessarily.  If the OP is using Vista's default config, known file
types are hidden, so they might not know they've switched to .docx files.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> If the OP has been
>> using Word for several months, or longer, then they should've been
>> quite aware of what were the filetypes being generated by the older
>> version of Word.
>
> Not necessarily.  If the OP is using Vista's default config, known file
> types are hidden,

That's the default on XP as well....

0
gbplinux (1141)
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> If the OP has been
>> using Word for several months, or longer, then they should've been
>> quite aware of what were the filetypes being generated by the older
>> version of Word.
>
> Not necessarily.  If the OP is using Vista's default config, known file
> types are hidden, so they might not know they've switched to .docx files.

Having said that, even with "Hide extensions for known file types" checked,
the inserted Document in an email still shows the extension...

0
gbplinux (1141)
5/8/2008 12:15:31 PM
"Brian Tillman" wrote in <news:OsQYwOQsIHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> If the OP has been
>> using Word for several months, or longer, then they should've been
>> quite aware of what were the filetypes being generated by the older
>> version of Word.
>
> Not necessarily.  If the OP is using Vista's default config, known file
> types are hidden, so they might not know they've switched to .docx files.

The filetype remains hidden when shown as an attachment in Outlook?
0
V4521 (722)
> "Brian Tillman" wrote in <news:OsQYwOQsIHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> If the OP has been
>>> using Word for several months, or longer, then they should've been
>>> quite aware of what were the filetypes being generated by the older
>>> version of Word.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  If the OP is using Vista's default config, known file
>> types are hidden, so they might not know they've switched to .docx files.
>
> The filetype remains hidden when shown as an attachment in Outlook?

No it's not. So the OP didn't look at what they were doing.

0
gbplinux (1141)

MS Money 95 data files

Recieve Mail Before Sending

Unable to llaunch FRx
Something on our server hosed FRx between yesterday and today. When users try to launch FRx Report designer from the Start menu, the FRx splash screen flashes for a second then disappears. There is no error message and no entry in the SQL Error logs or the NT event logs. I can open Report Launcher, but only the FW (Fabricam) and FWC (Fabricam Canada) reports show up. This was working fine yesterday. I reran the FRx index scripts but that did not resolve it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. -- Jim Maybe the program is corrupted...perhaps a reinstall. But bac...

Where is the workspace file stored?

Message comes as an attachment

cant start outlook pst file to large

Opening Excel Workbooks

Grammar check not working

Mail lMerge

Planned Open Market Days

opening .bak file

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Displaying colour codes in Word 2007
I know this one isn't new, but that isn't a reason not to protest. There seems to be a conspiracy at M$ to drive the largest possible number of people MAD. When you select or inspect the colour of text or another item in Word 2007, the colour codes (rgb) are no longer diplayed in this version. Apparantly, this is because Word has been dumbed down for the benefit of people who've never seen a computer. If you want to choose a colour that matches another part of the document or an imported item, you need a large number of mouse clics. Even then it is far from obv...

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...