Winmail.Dat Being Created On Plain Text Emails

I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a winmail.dat
file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text.

Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from
happening?

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
RB Data Services
www.rbdata.com
0
Rick9396 (383)

Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops.  (See Tool >
Options > Mail Format tab)

If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet Options.
Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook
Rich Text.

Check the e-mail address on the item coming from your contacts folder.  For
example, open a contact item and then double click on the email address.
Check the dropdown at the bottom to verify that it is not set to Outlook
Rich Text.

Outside of that, I've heard of PDA software (Palm) that may trigger all
items to go out as Rich Text, but I've never seen it first hand.

"Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a
>winmail.dat
> file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text.
>
> Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from
> happening?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Rick Bellefond
> RB Data Services
> www.rbdata.com

0
Neo (372)
8/17/2007 10:25:50 AM
Hi Neo,

Thanks for responding.

If I do not have an attachment and I turn off Word as my email editor it
does stop the winmail.dat from being created but then that creates another
problem.

It totally messes up my signature when I am responding to a plain text
email.  My signature seems fine when responding to HTML emails.  On plain
text emails it puts in a bunch of extra blank lines even though I have the
box checked in Email Options that says "Remove Extra Lines Breaks In Plain
Text Messages".

if my signature should look like:

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3

Line 4
Line 5

It turns it into something like

Line 1

Line 2
Line 3

Line 4

Line 5

To me the extra blank lines in the signature is even more annoying than the
winmail.dat being created for all emails regardless of whether they have
attachments or not.

Any idea as to how to fix that problem?

Thanks.

Rick Bellefond
RB Data Services
www.rbdata.com

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops.  (See Tool >
> Options > Mail Format tab)
>
> If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet Options.
> Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook
> Rich Text.
>
> Check the e-mail address on the item coming from your contacts folder.  For
> example, open a contact item and then double click on the email address.
> Check the dropdown at the bottom to verify that it is not set to Outlook
> Rich Text.
>
> Outside of that, I've heard of PDA software (Palm) that may trigger all
> items to go out as Rich Text, but I've never seen it first hand.
>
> "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a
> >winmail.dat
> > file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text.
> >
> > Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from
> > happening?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Rick Bellefond
> > RB Data Services
> > www.rbdata.com

0
Rick9396 (383)
8/18/2007 6:34:06 PM
If memory serves me right, you will find the plain text version of your
signature at:

\Documents and Settings\<USERID>\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures

Use notepad to make whatever mods you need.

/neo

ps - Application Data is a hidden folder, so don't forget to configure
Explorer to show you hidden/system files.

> Hi Neo,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> If I do not have an attachment and I turn off Word as my email editor it
> does stop the winmail.dat from being created but then that creates another
> problem.
>
> It totally messes up my signature when I am responding to a plain text
> email.  My signature seems fine when responding to HTML emails.  On plain
> text emails it puts in a bunch of extra blank lines even though I have the
> box checked in Email Options that says "Remove Extra Lines Breaks In Plain
> Text Messages".
>
> if my signature should look like:
>
> Line 1
> Line 2
> Line 3
>
> Line 4
> Line 5
>
> It turns it into something like
>
> Line 1
>
> Line 2
> Line 3
>

> Line 4
>
> Line 5
>

> To me the extra blank lines in the signature is even more annoying than
> the
> winmail.dat being created for all emails regardless of whether they have
> attachments or not.
>
> Any idea as to how to fix that problem?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Rick Bellefond
> RB Data Services
> www.rbdata.com
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops.  (See Tool
>>  >
>> Options > Mail Format tab)
>>
>> If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet
>> Options.
>> Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook
>> Rich Text.
>>
>> Check the e-mail address on the item coming from your contacts folder.
>> For
>> example, open a contact item and then double click on the email address.
>> Check the dropdown at the bottom to verify that it is not set to Outlook
>> Rich Text.
>>
>> Outside of that, I've heard of PDA software (Palm) that may trigger all
>> items to go out as Rich Text, but I've never seen it first hand.
>>
>> "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a
>> >winmail.dat
>> > file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text.
>> >
>> > Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this
>> > from
>> > happening?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> > Rick Bellefond
>> > RB Data Services
>> > www.rbdata.com

0
Neo (372)

Word text copied into email loses formatting alignment
When copying a Word document (containing indented and numbered paragraphs and bullet points into an email, the left alignment of the document loses its justification. How can this be fixed? -- HK If the formatting is important, send the document as an attachment. You have no control over how the recipient sees the email. If you are concerned that the recipient might not have Word, use one of the free pdf converters to convert the document into a .pdf file. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my s...

Don't Want Email Addresses Hyperlinked
Using Excel 2002... Is there any way to have the email address I have in my worksheet remain as simple text? (They typically are blue and want to be "mailtos.") thnx Menu Insert|Hyperlink... Click the Remove Hyperlink button. HTH Kostis Vezerides Tools / AutoCorrect Options.... "Autoformat as you type" tab, uncheck "internet and network paths with hyperlinks" HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "phil6666" <phil6666@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:2tn6o194usnq8dtdr7g7nfciv2pd68ccrc@4ax.com... > Using Excel 2002... > > Is there any ...

Creating an Excel table from Access
Hi, I have an Access database which I use to log downtime for systems. I have a requirement to produce a monthly report based on this data, however, this needs to be exported to excel in a specific format. Down the left side of the report need to go the names of the services, with the days (numerically like: 1, 2, 3 .. 29, 30 etc) across the top. Then I need to count the number of times each service was down on a give day, and insert that information into the necessary cell - so if intranet services had been down twice on 16th March, for example, there would be a 2 in column 16, whi...

emailing pictures.
what do i change my email settings to so that may send pictures (attachments)??? Version of Outlook? "confused" wrote: > what do i change my email settings to so that may send pictures > (attachments)??? 2003 (so sorry for the delayed response, i turned off my pc, b/c i was so irritated, all other help areas were just as confusing) "Mary" wrote: > Version of Outlook? > > "confused" wrote: > > > what do i change my email settings to so that may send pictures > > (attachments)??? If you are trying to use the Web toolbar to ...

Ensure that all of the Great Plains modules are multicurrency
Multicurrency functionality is absolutely critical to most non-US clients. There are still a number of Great Plains modules, including the full suite of eBanking products that are not multicurrency compatible. Please address this moving forward to ensure that the full suite of Great Plains modules are multicurrency compatible. Thank-you! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this l...

Transparent text on picture in Word
I have a picture I have placed into a word document. I now want to add text over the picture that will appear transparent. Essentially the picture is a scenery pciture and I want to add a poem that appears over the picture. How can I do this? Although you can place your text in a text box with No Line and No Fill, it would make more sense to use the document body for your text and set the wrapping on the picture to Behind Text. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Tony" <Tony@discussions.mic...

How do I create Vertical line down whole detail section?
As the detail section can grow and shrink I want insert my line using On Print in the property section as per some advise given in another thread (not started by me). The advisor suggested the code [Me.Line (2.3 * 1440, 0) - Step(0, 20 * 1440)] ]but I have no idea how or where to insert it. Can anyone help? How do I create or edit the [event procedure] in On Print in the properties section Open your report in design view and double-click the gray bar above the detail section. This should display the properties dialog. Click the Event properties tab. Click the dropdown in the On...

Linking CRM references when creating Workflow Activities
I have created a Workflow Process that creates a followup phone call and letter whenever a CRM Opportunity status changes from "Qualify" to "Quote". For the Activity Name/ Subject I would like to reference the Opportunity Topic (Name). Is there an easy way of doing this? NOTE: For the Opportunity Topic we are using the estimate number. ...

Email Help: Sending Outlook email from Excel VBA
Hi All, How do I select a specific property in outlook while sending email from excel? There is an option we can set in outlook outgoing emails call "Voting buttons" in that feature there is a custom option that we can select called "Have replies sent to" its a checkbox. I want it checked when i send an email from excel. Hope i made it clear. Thanks in advance If sending through the Outlook Object Model, use the MailItem.VotingOptions property and MailItem.ReplyRecipients collection. -- Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP) http://www.dimastr.com/ OutlookSp...

Download email #2
How to download email from Microsoft exchange 2000 to Outlook Express?? without leave a copy at Exchange server. Outlook Express cannot download mail from Exchange. Why are you trying to do so without leaving a copy of the mail on Exchange? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Edi asked: | How to download email from Microsoft exchange 2000 to | Outlook E...

How do I export email addresses from excel to outlook?
I am trying to do a mail merge using email via outlook. I have 200+ addresses and I'd like to know how to import the addresses into the contacts section of outlook to do the merge from there. I've tried the help part of out look but it comes up saying that the excel file has no named ranges and that I should use excel to name the range of data to be imported. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Mark In outlook select file/import export/ import from another program or file/ and then follow the instructions from the wizard. Why do you want to do the mailmerge from Outlook? You can...

Creating a word2000 document with access 2000 data
I have a database in access 2000 it is basically customer info. address and dates and timesof appointments. I need to place a button on the formpage that prints a letter using the customer details and the date & time entered in the database. Anyone have any clues as to the easiest way to do this.sort of done it using mailmerge but not what I want. Actually want a word document to pop up that the staff can just double check and press print. Any help would be appreciated even just a point in the right direction to a good source of information. to see if the following website's offer...

Problems with Using Word as Email Editor
We use Hummingbird DM 5.1.0.5 for our document and record management. When using this program, it has a problem with Outlook using Word as an Email Editor. When this is turned on, it seems that Outlook opens a different instance of Word. When you try to open or create a word document, you lose the ability to save or print. These features return to normal when you uncheck Word as an Email Editor in Outlook. I have heard that Microsoft was taking this up with Hummingbird to have them fix it. I am just wondering if this was to be resolved, or if it is Hummingbird's problem to ...

Email header in Entourage in Spanish/Italian or Portuguese instead of English
I'm using Entourage 2004 on a ppc mac; OS 10.4.8 is setup in American English, Keyboard is in American English; only my regional settings are for Vancouver, Canada. I was surprised to see the other day that the header of each email I have receive since installing entourage is in a romance language; either Spanish, Italian or Portuguese. I have the latest update for Office 2004. Any tips on how to change that would be appreciated. Regards, Mihai ...

emailing spreadsheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Every time I email a spreadsheet as an attachment the recipient cannot open it. I have tried copy and pasting it onto a word doc but apparrently it still doesn't open. What am I doin wrong It's hard to be sure because you don't indicate what *does* happen when the recipient tries to open it, whether these are Mac or Windows users, nor do you disclose any details pertaining to the email specs you or the recipients are using. You may be doing nothing wrong at all. It could be a problem with your ...

Great Plains should let you select the PO From Service Call Manage
Great Plains should let you select the PO to add to when creating a PO from the Inventory Requirements Window in Service Call Management ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

Email naming standards
I'd like to take a survey of email address naming standards and which ones you use. I've looking online for a "naming conventions" FAQ but had very little luck. At my company, it's currently lastnamefirstinitial@company.com, or smithj@company.com. I would like to lobby to change it simply because it's so out of step with the rest of the world. The way I see it, when it's jsmith@company.com there's a logical progression from left to right. We are changing the company name (and domain name), so the way I see it this is the perfect time to do it. Opinions? ...

How to make Outllok Express the default email
When I click to send an Excel worksheet, the default is through Microsoft Outlook. How do I make it send through Outlook Express (not as an attachment)? TIA. Mike To set in Outlook Express as default email you have tp do it through Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer select Tools:InternetOptions the Programs tab and select Outlook Express for the Email section. When you use File:SendTo in excel do not use the as attachment option option --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thanks for the quick reply; but still not sending by Outlook Express. Mike "dcronje &g...

Creating a header in word after the second page.
Hi, I am making a word document with a header but i only need the header to appear after the 2nd page. i can make it appear only after the first. any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You could use a field construction { IF { PAGE } > 2 "Your header text" } You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and Alt+F9 to toggle off their display. Alternatively, you will need to insert a Section Break between the second and third pages and put the information in the Header of the second section of the document after unlinking the header in that ...

Copying email to other people
I have a situation where the owner of a company wants to be copied on email that goes to one of their employees. I can set up a rule in the employee's Outlook to forward mail, but they will be ableto see that it is being copied. Is there a way at the server level to have the incoming mail to someone get copied automatically to another mailbox without the first person's knowledge? I hope this is clear. Thanks! Hi you could set a journal mailbox per mailbox store in Exchange 2003 and in Exchange 2007 you could set a transport rule Henry "mrecomm101" wrote: > I ha...

workflow send email template to both case contact and account
I am in a desperate search to find a solution for creating a workflow that sends an automated email notification upon Case open to both the contact that submitted the case and parent account's primary contact/email. It seems that i can only do this manually, or send to one or the other but not both. Any suggestions from another service provider that has tackled this issue? Perhaps I am not seeing a logical approach that already exists. thanks, Austin ...

Great Plains Standard on other database than MDSE?
Hello All, I was informed by Microsoft that Great Plains Standard runs on any database version. I wanted to test it but always received an error message saying that this is not an MSDE Server and that I must choose a different server. What am I doing wrong? Regards I believe it has something to do with your license key. Contact your partner to get a SQL Server key for GP. "Pur2103" wrote: > Hello All, > > I was informed by Microsoft that Great Plains Standard runs on any database > version. I wanted to test it but always received an error message saying &...

how do I angle text in Publisher
I want to create an invitation for my son's Star Wars birthday party and would like to angle the text ot text box like the opening scroll in Star wars. Any help? Try the WordArt. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "kmc17" <kmc17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D1DB10C-A9A1-45D5-9A0F-02FD746E2CE4@microsoft.com... >I want to create an invitation for my son's Star Wars birthday party and > would like to angle the text ot text box like the opening scroll in Star > wars. Any help? kmc17 wrote: > I want to create an...

Editing ppt created in 2003
I'm using 2007 and trying to edit a ppt that was created in 2003. There is a text box at the bottom of each Title master slide (there are 5 different versions) that is used for the presentation name, date and slide number. I've tried editing the Master title slide for each of the 5 groups but can't get the chages to apply to all of the slides - it will only apply to those slides that I've actually edited. Can someone help? The placeholders must be on the master slides and then they appear (or should appear) on all the slide layouts (the small thumbnails) associate...

Create Contacts with scripts
What are the minimum attributes that is needed to create a fully mailenabled contact by scripting. Mariah I would love to know how to do that myself. Hopefully someone can enlighten us ...