Windows XP Shared PC - Outlook Inbox problems

We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had
Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win
98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all
four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the
Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of
each person when they individually logged in. When I
clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each
person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT
PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's
desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However,
whatever mail they receive ALSO shows up in everyone elses
Inbox cause if you logoff and log in to the other accounts
you can see them! And if I delete a message, it deletes it
from everyones Inbox. So I have the different XP Welcome
screen logins, and I have seperate mail accounts (at least
I 'think' I do), but for some reason they are all sharing
the same Inbox, etc. How is that happening and how can I
get them to all be seperate and private? By the way, these
are all set to IMO. I have never used the C or WG mode.

I am on a short timeline for having to have this fixed. I
hope someone can clue me in pretty soon.

Many thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)

The e-mail account and the storage file (.PST file) are two different things
:-)  You will need to create separate .PST files for each user and put them
in each user's Windows profile so they are only accessible to that user.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:1102401c3f45b$d4b29320$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Dexter wrote:

> We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had
> Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win
> 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all
> four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the
> Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of
> each person when they individually logged in. When I
> clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each
> person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT
> PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's
> desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However,
> whatever mail they receive ALSO shows up in everyone elses
> Inbox cause if you logoff and log in to the other accounts
> you can see them! And if I delete a message, it deletes it
> from everyones Inbox. So I have the different XP Welcome
> screen logins, and I have seperate mail accounts (at least
> I 'think' I do), but for some reason they are all sharing
> the same Inbox, etc. How is that happening and how can I
> get them to all be seperate and private? By the way, these
> are all set to IMO. I have never used the C or WG mode.
>
> I am on a short timeline for having to have this fixed. I
> hope someone can clue me in pretty soon.
>
> Many thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to do that? Do I
copy the existing .pst file and then paste it into each
users folder? Then how do I get their individual mail to
point to that particular one? Thanks for the help.

answered -- please
>reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message
thread. ***

>In news:1102401c3f45b$d4b29320$a601280a@phx.gbl,
>Dexter wrote:
>
>> We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had
>> Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from
Win
>> 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all
>> four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did,
the
>> Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop
of
>> each person when they individually logged in. When I
>> clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each
>> person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT
>> PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's
>> desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However,
>> whatever mail they receive ALSO shows up in everyone
elses
>> Inbox cause if you logoff and log in to the other
accounts
>> you can see them! And if I delete a message, it deletes
it
>> from everyones Inbox. So I have the different XP Welcome
>> screen logins, and I have seperate mail accounts (at
least
>> I 'think' I do), but for some reason they are all
sharing
>> the same Inbox, etc. How is that happening and how can I
>> get them to all be seperate and private? By the way,
these
>> are all set to IMO. I have never used the C or WG mode.
>>
>> I am on a short timeline for having to have this fixed.
>> hope someone can clue me in pretty soon.
>>
>> Many thanks!
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/17/2004 12:37:42 PM
If you want each user to have the data that already exists in the first .PST
file, then it probably would be easiest to copy the file to each of the
other Windows profiles -- that way you don't have to transfer any of the
data between .PST files later.  The users can just delete any data that
doesn't belong to them, or that they don't need.  If you'd rather have three
of the users start fresh, you can create a new .PST file in each of their
Outlook profiles via File | New | Outlook Data File.

To point each user's Outlook profile to his/her own .PST file (assuming you
copied the original for each user), log into Windows as that user (let's
start with User B -- User A will keep the original data) and open Outlook.
If it's still pointing to the old .PST, that .PST will load as usual.
You'll need to open the .PST copy you made for that user -- use File | Open
| Outlook Data File and it will appear in the Folder List.  For clarity,
right-click the root folder of the new file, select Properties, then the
Advanced button, and give the file a new name in the Name box -- say, User B
Personal Folders.  (This will make it easier to distinguish between the new
file and the original one, since they may look exactly the same otherwise!)

To make the new file the default for that user, go to Tools | E-mail
Accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and click Next.
Right underneath the accounts box you'll see a dropdown for the default mail
delivery location.   Choose User B Personal Folders.  Before you leave this
area, add the user's own e-mail account to the list, and remove any others
that don't belong to that user.  When you're done with all that, click
Finish.

Finally, in the Folder List, right-click the root folder of the original
..PST file that will now be used by only the first user, and select Close
from the menu.  Now User B should only have his/her own .PST file in the
Folder List.

Do the same with User C and User D, and then make sure User A only has
his/her own e-mail account listed in his/her profile, and you'll be all set.
If I left anything out and you run into trouble, post back.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:1100201c3f552$d64c3db0$a101280a@phx.gbl,
Dexter wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to do that? Do I
> copy the existing .pst file and then paste it into each
> users folder? Then how do I get their individual mail to
> point to that particular one? Thanks for the help.

I have the opposite problem - three users of a single PC
that want to share an email account.  With XP and Outlook
2003, the default setup won't allow sharing since the PST
and other control files are buried in each user's setting
folders.
Can I "reverse" the process described below and put a
single shared PST file in a top level folder and point
each of the users to it??

How exactly is that done (since I barely know what I'm
talking about in the first place!)

  -Randy

0
anonymous (74722)
2/23/2004 10:10:32 PM
In Windows XP, isn't there a folder called a shared folder?  Simply cut and
paste the Outlook.pst file to that folder, then open Outlook in each profile
and when it complains, point it to the common file.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Randy asked:

| I have the opposite problem - three users of a single PC
| that want to share an email account.  With XP and Outlook
| 2003, the default setup won't allow sharing since the PST
| and other control files are buried in each user's setting
| folders.
| Can I "reverse" the process described below and put a
| single shared PST file in a top level folder and point
| each of the users to it??
|
| How exactly is that done (since I barely know what I'm
| talking about in the first place!)
|
|   -Randy

0
MillyS5166 (1132)
2/24/2004 4:06:42 AM
You can copy the existing .PST if there is a lot of information in it that
all users need right off the bat...or you can use File | New | Personal
Folders File to create the new .PST for each user.  Tell me which one you
plan to do and I can tell you the next steps to take.

--

Randy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Can I "reverse" the process described below and put a
> single shared PST file in a top level folder and point
> each of the users to it??

As Milly said, just move (not copy) one of the PSTs (the one with the most
messages, perhaps) to a subfolder of Shared Documents (say, Shared
Documents\Outlook).  Open that person's Outlook and when it complains it
can't find the PST, browse to its new location.  For the other two, let each
one log in in turn, open Outlook, and then use File>Open>Outlook Data File
and browse to the shared PST.  Next, each one should copy the items he or
she wished to keep from the existing PST to the shared one.  Once that
process has been completed, s/he should click Tools>E-mail Accounts, check
the "View or change existing e-mail accounts" radio button and click Next.
At the bottom of that window will be a "Deliver new e-mail to the following
location" drop-down.  This should be changed to point to the shared PST and
then s/he should click "Finish".  Finally, back at the main window, in the
Folder List, the other person should right-click the old PST and choose
"Close" from the menu.  This will remove the old, unshared PST from the
Folder List.  Alternatively, that "Personal Folders" can be renamed to
"Private Folders" or some such and kept for mail that the individual doesn't
want shared.  New messages can be moved from the shared PST to the private
one, if desired, to keep some messages private.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)
2/24/2004 2:28:48 PM
Let's try copying the existing PST.
Thanks Jocylyn!

0
anonymous (74722)
2/24/2004 2:50:58 PM
OK.  Copy the .PST to each user's Windows profile -- you can put it in any
profile-specific folder; it doesn't have to go in the default folder that
Outlook wants to put new .PSTs in.  (And never overwrite one .PST file with
another!)

Log into Windows as one of the users, then open Outlook.  Use File | Open |
Personal Folders File to find the .PST you just copied and open it in the
Folder List.  (If the Folder List isn't showing, toggle it via View | Folder
List.)  To make it the default mail store for this user, right-click its
root folder, select Properties, and on the General tab, check the box that
says "Deliver POP mail to this personal folders file".  Click OK to go back
to the main Outlook window.  Now that you've got the "local" copy of the
..PST loaded and it's been made the default, you can close the other copy if
it's still open in the Folder List -- right click its root folder and click
Close.  Lastly, go into Tools | Accounts and make sure only that user's
e-mail account is listed.  If any others are listed, remove them.

Do this for each user in turn, and when you're done, each user should have
his/her own exclusive .PST file (though much of the info will be the same
initially, since you copied the file to everyone) and only his/her own
e-mail account pulling down messages to that .PST.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:00a301c3fae5$9ceb58b0$3501280a@phx.gbl,
Randy wrote:

> Let's try copying the existing PST.
> Thanks Jocylyn!

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

upgrade from mac office to pc?

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Crash on 'Send"

Exchange update problem

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Public holiday in shared folders
Hello, We use Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003. Each people has its own calendar, and is is possible to insert automatiquely the public holiday. Now, I am trying to do the same for the shared calendars, but is doesn't work. In fact, even if we select the public folders, Outlook try to insert them again in the user's calendar Any idea ? Best regards, Oliver Best bet would be to copy them from another person's calendar since you can't directly add them from within Outlook "Support" <support@rdfdfd.com> wrote in message news:mn.936a7d61f268d624.48077@r...

windows messenger 09-24-06
have a friend's contact card popping up at any time saying they want to be added to my list. this was done a long time ago but the message keeps coming up at various times when i'm on the computer. how can i stop this?> Shirley, this is a CRM newsgroup, you may get a better response if you post in XP General group http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US&r=c10a5834-ccef-4e84-9c45-1e43e21770ed "shirley" wrote: > have a friend's contact card popping up ...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

transferring to new pc

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook 2003

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

sharing of folders

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Pop Up Windows
Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? -- Larry "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0B01C98-66BF-4FA5-8CED-0C434CCCFC62@microsoft.com... > Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker > does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? > -- > Larry You don't. They LOOK like a pop up to you, but the designer that wrote the page made them not conform to the rules that define the...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts