Why is "image and text" option grayed out for some buttons in the customization?

It so happens that the most frequently used buttons on the tool bar
are the up-arrow and down-arrow (the ones that move to the
next/previous item).
As I tried to assign short-cut key to them, however, i found that the
"image and text" option is grayed out - for that matter, all other
display options are grayed out - when you go into customization mode.
Why is "image and text" option unavailable for some buttons?
0
dj_google (9)