why does Outlook shut down after a few seconds.

My Sony Vaio became unstable so I restored it to it's original state, then 
installed Office.  I configured my IMAP email account.  Now, when I open 
Outlook it procedes normally and opens fine, then sends an error message and 
shuts down. Sending an error repor to Mivcrosoft produces no reply.  I am 
going nuts tring to figure out what the problem is but now I cannot do 
anything as Outlook shuts down every time.

help!!
0
Zapper (2)
10/25/2005 5:10:02 AM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

6 Replies
548 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

1.  You might try a new mail profile as the silver bullet option - last one 
but it usually works.

I would try a Detect and Repair first - open any Office program, 
Help->Detect and Repair (ensure you have your Office CD handy).

Otherwise, before the new profile, you might want to run scanpst.exe against 
your Outlook .pst file.  It can sometimes fix errors D&R doesn't find.


--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
reading.

After furious head scratching, Zapper asked:

| My Sony Vaio became unstable so I restored it to it's original state,
| then installed Office.  I configured my IMAP email account.  Now,
| when I open Outlook it procedes normally and opens fine, then sends
| an error message and shuts down. Sending an error repor to Mivcrosoft
| produces no reply.  I am going nuts tring to figure out what the
| problem is but now I cannot do anything as Outlook shuts down every
| time.
|
| help!! 


0
MillyS (3228)
10/25/2005 5:42:59 AM
I'm not certain what you mean by a new mail profile, can you explain further 
please.  If it requres Outlook, then I can't do it as it closes after only a 
few moments.  I've tried to get into the Mail setup utility but ther's not 
enough time.

Incidentally, this computer was working fine for months before it went 
wonky.  I am running Outlook off of a new laptop, if the problem is a 
corrupted .pst file I might be able to import it from there, if Outlook will 
stay open long enough. Or could I just copy the PST files to a particular 
location?

I have tried to 'repair' windows, without success.  This is a clean install 
so it should not have made any difference anyway.

What is  scanpst.exe and how do I run it?

Many thanks for your suggestions, I will look for your reply and let you 
know how I get along.

Thanks

Martin

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> 1.  You might try a new mail profile as the silver bullet option - last one 
> but it usually works.
> 
> I would try a Detect and Repair first - open any Office program, 
> Help->Detect and Repair (ensure you have your Office CD handy).
> 
> Otherwise, before the new profile, you might want to run scanpst.exe against 
> your Outlook .pst file.  It can sometimes fix errors D&R doesn't find.
> 
> 
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> 
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  All
> unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
> reading.
> 
> After furious head scratching, Zapper asked:
> 
> | My Sony Vaio became unstable so I restored it to it's original state,
> | then installed Office.  I configured my IMAP email account.  Now,
> | when I open Outlook it procedes normally and opens fine, then sends
> | an error message and shuts down. Sending an error repor to Mivcrosoft
> | produces no reply.  I am going nuts tring to figure out what the
> | problem is but now I cannot do anything as Outlook shuts down every
> | time.
> |
> | help!! 
> 
> 
> 
0
Zapper (2)
10/25/2005 7:06:02 AM
Zapper <Zapper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm not certain what you mean by a new mail profile, can you explain
> further please.  If it requres Outlook, then I can't do it as it
> closes after only a few moments.  I've tried to get into the Mail
> setup utility but ther's not enough time.

Create a new mail profile fron within Control Panel's Mail applet.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/newprofile.htm

> Incidentally, this computer was working fine for months before it went
> wonky.  I am running Outlook off of a new laptop, if the problem is a
> corrupted .pst file I might be able to import it from there, if
> Outlook will stay open long enough. Or could I just copy the PST
> files to a particular location?

Never import a PST and never overwrite an existing PST that is configured in 
a mail profile.

> I have tried to 'repair' windows, without success.  This is a clean
> install so it should not have made any difference anyway.

Use Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs to effect a Detect and Repair on 
Outlook.

> What is  scanpst.exe and how do I run it?

If you have an English installation of Outlook, open Windows Explorer and 
enter this in the Address field:

%CommonProgramFiles%\system\MSMAPI\1033

Click Go.  You'll see scanpst.exe there.  Double click it and answer the 
prompts.  Some installations of Office also supply an "Inbox Repair Tool", a 
shortcut to scanpst in the "Microsoft Office Tools" menu in Start>All 
Programs or Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16051)
10/25/2005 1:36:08 PM
Sorry but scanpst.exe did not work.  I just started having problems a few 
days ago and found your replies to Zapper.  I do not use Outlook for e-mail.  
Should I change my profile, anyway?  Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Zapper <Zapper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > I'm not certain what you mean by a new mail profile, can you explain
> > further please.  If it requres Outlook, then I can't do it as it
> > closes after only a few moments.  I've tried to get into the Mail
> > setup utility but ther's not enough time.
> 
> Create a new mail profile fron within Control Panel's Mail applet.
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/newprofile.htm
> 
> > Incidentally, this computer was working fine for months before it went
> > wonky.  I am running Outlook off of a new laptop, if the problem is a
> > corrupted .pst file I might be able to import it from there, if
> > Outlook will stay open long enough. Or could I just copy the PST
> > files to a particular location?
> 
> Never import a PST and never overwrite an existing PST that is configured in 
> a mail profile.
> 
> > I have tried to 'repair' windows, without success.  This is a clean
> > install so it should not have made any difference anyway.
> 
> Use Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs to effect a Detect and Repair on 
> Outlook.
> 
> > What is  scanpst.exe and how do I run it?
> 
> If you have an English installation of Outlook, open Windows Explorer and 
> enter this in the Address field:
> 
> %CommonProgramFiles%\system\MSMAPI\1033
> 
> Click Go.  You'll see scanpst.exe there.  Double click it and answer the 
> prompts.  Some installations of Office also supply an "Inbox Repair Tool", a 
> shortcut to scanpst in the "Microsoft Office Tools" menu in Start>All 
> Programs or Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office
> -- 
> Brian Tillman 
> 
> 
0
AmFasTax (1)
7/8/2008 7:10:31 PM
AmFasTax <AmFasTax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Sorry but scanpst.exe did not work.  I just started having problems a
> few days ago and found your replies to Zapper.  I do not use Outlook
> for e-mail. 

If you don't use Outlook, why are you asking in an Outlook newsgroup?
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
0
tillman1952 (16051)
7/8/2008 9:00:41 PM
Too little information for any meaningfull response.
We dont all have a crystal ball.

"AmFasTax" <AmFasTax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:C6D1FCD0-B113-405B-B5DA-EA525C0D962F@microsoft.com...
> Sorry but scanpst.exe did not work.  I just started having problems a few
> days ago and found your replies to Zapper.  I do not use Outlook for 
> e-mail.
> Should I change my profile, anyway?  Any other suggestions would be 
> helpful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Brian Tillman" wrote:
>
>> Zapper <Zapper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not certain what you mean by a new mail profile, can you explain
>> > further please.  If it requres Outlook, then I can't do it as it
>> > closes after only a few moments.  I've tried to get into the Mail
>> > setup utility but ther's not enough time.
>>
>> Create a new mail profile fron within Control Panel's Mail applet.
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/newprofile.htm
>>
>> > Incidentally, this computer was working fine for months before it went
>> > wonky.  I am running Outlook off of a new laptop, if the problem is a
>> > corrupted .pst file I might be able to import it from there, if
>> > Outlook will stay open long enough. Or could I just copy the PST
>> > files to a particular location?
>>
>> Never import a PST and never overwrite an existing PST that is configured 
>> in
>> a mail profile.
>>
>> > I have tried to 'repair' windows, without success.  This is a clean
>> > install so it should not have made any difference anyway.
>>
>> Use Control Panel's Add and Remove Programs to effect a Detect and Repair 
>> on
>> Outlook.
>>
>> > What is  scanpst.exe and how do I run it?
>>
>> If you have an English installation of Outlook, open Windows Explorer and
>> enter this in the Address field:
>>
>> %CommonProgramFiles%\system\MSMAPI\1033
>>
>> Click Go.  You'll see scanpst.exe there.  Double click it and answer the
>> prompts.  Some installations of Office also supply an "Inbox Repair 
>> Tool", a
>> shortcut to scanpst in the "Microsoft Office Tools" menu in Start>All
>> Programs or Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office
>> -- 
>> Brian Tillman
>>
>> 


0
DL
7/8/2008 9:08:22 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

2003 -RPC over HTTP option not available on Outlook 2003 client
I have the full office system 2003 install, however in the connections setting on profile, I do not have the option displayed to connect to exchange over http. Thoughts? Seb 1) you need exchange 2003 in the profile 2) you need the hotfix for winxp. it will not work on win2k http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331320 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google....

English Email Headers in german Outlook Web Access 2003
Good day, has anybody an idea how to set english email headers in a german outlook web access (exchange 2003, windows 2003)? I must have RE: and FW: in my answer and forward emails instead of AW: and WG:. By now OWA detects the regional settings of the client (german) and offers the german interface including the german email headers. I still would like OWA to detect the regional settings but to use the english email headers in answers and forwardings. Any suggestions? Joerg ...

Outlook in a memory stick
Has anyone tried to install Outlook (2007) in a memory stick? Can I then use my mail in an any computer including netcafes, while I'm travelling? "Tallaaja" <x@y.zz> wrote: >Has anyone tried to install Outlook (2007) in a memory stick? Can I then use >my mail in an any computer including netcafes, while I'm travelling? Probably won't work. Setup an easy way to copy your .PST file from the home computer to your notebook (using the memory stick as the go-between) before you leave. You'll also have to setup a way to copy that file back to the home c...

Error sending mail OUTLOOK 2002
Each time I attempt to send an email I receive the message TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server. Error number 0x800ccc0f. Any ideas of what I've done to cause this message. Antivirus or Firewall? Click start, run, enter MSCONFIG, click OK. Change from Normal to Selective startup. Uncheck and disable the 4th option, Load startup items. Click Apply, close, and restart. Open Outlook and test. If it works, Click start, run, enter MSCONFIG, click OK. Go to the Startup tab at the top, Enter everything but your antivirus and/or Firewall software. Norton 2002 = NAVAPW32 (...

Outlook 2000 ZIP problem
When I attach a file in Outlook 2000 (could be .doc file) and send the mail Outlook automatic sends the attachment as a zipfile ???? Does someone know why??? You have an addin that zips the file. (Quickview+ and ZipOut are two programs that I am aware of that does this.) "Kolding" <lostinmix@gammelmorfar.DK> wrote in message news:0afc01c355c2$e6da7a00$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When I attach a file in Outlook 2000 (could be .doc file) > and send the mail Outlook automatic sends the attachment > as a zipfile ???? Does someone know why??? You are a GOD , she had just ...

microsoft outlook set up
I am currently using Outlook Express with my btinternet pop3 account. Both SMTP and pop3 accounts have the same address mail.btinternet.com. This works with Outlook Express, but when I use the same settings fo Outlook I cannot gain access. Please advise. Many thanks. Peter What errror messages do you get when you try? Saying that "it doesn't work" provides no basis for troubleshooting. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After...

Outlook Backup #3
Outlook backup 2003 instals fine but when I run it and exit outlook I get the following message: Cannot copy Personal Folders: Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either beacuse the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. Does anyone have any suggestoins? ...

OWA (Outlook Web Access)-Please assistas
On Win98se pc's when a new e-mail comes in, a notify does not appeare even though it is set to show a notification when a new e-mail comes in. Any suggestions? ...

outlook 2000 and 2003 #2
We are having issues with sending emails from outlook 2003 to outlook 2000. if the email is of any considerable length...when it is sent from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2000 the email will not display the full content of the message...any ideas? If i send the same email from my hotmail or another outlook 2000 client to another outlook 2000 client it will dispaly just fine...any help would be greatly appreciated Paul ...

Outlook 2007 freezing uppon clicking 'To...'
Hi all, I have 2 installations with a strange behavior. When I click 'To...' in a new message Address Book is opening but after that Outlook is freezing and became a nonclickable one :( The same situation can repeat 25 time, and only 26th is good enough to choose from the address book. Any workaround? Thanks in advance This is a very common problem which Microsoft claims they cannot reproduce and therefore cannot solve. Anecdotal reports claim the following may help: 1. Look for and correct a corrupt address in the Contacts displayed in the Outlook Address Book (especially i...

Unable to launch Outlook 2002
When I attempt to launch Outlook, I get the following message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Could not open item try again." Any ideas as to how I may resolve this issue? Regards. New profile? Detect and Repair? When did this error message start appearing and what did you install/uninstall just prior? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ...

Outlook 2000 slow and locks up
I've been using Outlook 2000 on Windows XP for some time. Recently, for no reason I can discern, it became excessively slow and / or locks up. It's slow to open up. Emails show right away in the preview pane but make take several minutes to open up if I click on them. Or the program may lock up when I try to open an email. Similar problems with trying to create a new email. I've tried the repair option in Outlook. I've installed all updates from Microsoft. I've uninstalled Outlook, removed pst files and reinstalled in fresh and it still behaves the same way. I'...

Outlook only downloads headers in email, not full message
New computer, first time with Outlook 07. Email messages only download as headers initially. The rest of the message, i.e. the body of the message and any attachments, don't download unless I hit "Send/Receive" again. How do I make it so that I don't have to hit Send/Receive in order to get the whole message. I've already gone into Tools > Send/Receive > Send-Receive Settings and made adjustments there as per Outlook Help, but that didn't fix the problem. Outlook\Tools\Options\Mail Setup\Send/Receive\Edit\Folder Options and set it up there making sur...

Outlook 2007 & Messenger...
.... how do I integrate those two on a Vista-system? -- Kind regards �yvind Granberg tresfjording@live.no www.tresfjording.com "�yvind Granberg" <tresfjording@live.no> wrote in message news:96D6543C-9214-4128-B84E-C2ABE769E388@microsoft.com... > ... how do I integrate those two on a Vista-system? Integrate them in what way? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] Well I have figured it out, but I am not impressed. Is there any way that I can see if a sender of a certain email residing in the inbox list up, is presently online? -- Kind regard...

Copy Outlook Contacts to new computer
I assume the Outlook Contacts (2000 SP-3) must be a file that can be copied to a new computer. Can someone advise me on the simple - if that's the word - process to accomplish this? Thanks. Bob On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:20:59 -0500, "rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote: >I assume the Outlook Contacts (2000 SP-3) must be a file that can be copied >to a new computer. Can someone advise me on the simple - if that's the >word - process to accomplish this? Thanks. > Making certain that you can view hidden files, search for a file with a .pst file extension. T...

outlook express 6.0 spellchecker lockup
When I choose spellcheck for a message, I get the message outlook is starting Microsoft homepublisher as my spellchecker and my system locks up and has to be rebooted. How can I get outlook express to go back to using Word as my spellchecker? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55....

Outlook Out-Of-Office is Missing
I am using Outlook with a POP3 account, not Exchange. On the Tools menu, there is no option for Out-Of-Office. How do I create an out-of-office response just for new messages received (not going to all the old messages in the Inbox)? Thank you. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Arthur" <priver2@comcast.net> wrote in message new...

Customizing Outlook Today
When I click on the 'Customize Outlook Today' link while in Outlook Today nothing happens. I get no 'options' menu for configuring the appearance of Outlook Today. I'm running Outlook 2000 and Windows XP Home Edition. Any suggestions? ...

Searching Outlook Contact to show which groups they belong with.
I have over 50 distribution lists. When I make a change to a contact, I want the change to update the contact in the distribution list(s) at the same time. If this can not be done I would at like to see all of the distribution list(s) where this contact appears. I have to open each list, which is very time consuming. <dbloom4866@gmail.com> wrote in message news:79ea7bad-4291-4ad5-81c1-a1924389912e@e22g2000vbe.googlegroups.com... >I have over 50 distribution lists. When I make a change to a contact, > I want the change to update the contact in the distribution list(s) at > ...

How to store e-mails sent from Word to Outlook vs Outlook Exp?
I recently switched from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. When sending an e-mail from MS Word the e-mail is saved in the Outlook Express Sent folder rather than Outlooks Sent folder. When sending e-mails from Outlook the msgs are saved in Outlook. Am I missing a default setting? I've looked everywhere!? is outlook your default mail client?look on IE's tools, options, programs tab. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/b...

Export and Import Between Outlook 2002 and 2003
I just purchased a new computer with Office 2003 installed and transferred my Outlook pst files to it from my computer with 2002 installed. This worked fine. When I tried to import a .pst file that I created in 2003 to my 2002 computer, I get a message that the file is not compatible with the 2002 version. Is there anything other than upgrading my other computer to 2002 that will allow the import? I did not see any option in export from the 2003 setup that allows older versions to be created. Thanks -- Minnesota Dave Office 2002 and 2003 Dave Miller M3 <DaveMillerM3@discussion...

Outlook 2003 Junk E-Mail Issue
I have Junk E-mail Options set to "Safe Lists Only." It works - placing unsolicited mail in the Junk E-mail folder. However, when I also select "Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E-mail folder" Outlook hangs when it begins to receive junk e-mail. Any known reasons or solutions? does it stay hung? (You are aware that deleting all addresses not on safe lists delete messages from people who change addresses or confirmations from online purchases.) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours ...

Outlook Launches Windows Installer
I have Outlook 2000 and Windows 2000 with service pack 4. When I launch Outlook the Windows Installer also starts. It works to cancel the Windows Installer but this is quite annoying. How can I stop the installer from launching? I tried using Add/Remove software to repair the problem but got the following error: "Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error 6: component not found in the registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists & that you can access it." I was able to run Access so chose the "Ignore" Any ideas? ...

Outlook 2003-this one is stumping the experts!
I posted back on Dec. 6 or so with this problem, and I'm reading several other with the same problem. You respond to an e-mail (or occassionally when writing a new one) in Outlook 2003. Hit the send button. In outbox, message shows sent date "none" and there is no way to send. You can reopen, send again, etc. It's stuck in the in-box. I had business contact manager installed and uninstalled it. This problem cropped up after I uninstalled business contact manager. HELP! On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:56:33 -0800, "Kenc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Outlook security block
Hi Has the outlook security block been taken off in outlook 2007? I am still experiencing it when trying to send an email programmatically from another application. Thanks Regards no, it's still there but you can work around it now. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms772422.aspx#officeoutlook2007whatsnewdeveloperspart1_security -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe...