Where do the attachments go?

Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.

Hi there.

When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly where
does it go?

I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.

Many thanks.
Keith.
www.keithwilby.org.uk


0
Keith
4/30/2004 3:12:07 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

6 Replies
330 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 20

Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the attachment
is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
else.

"Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
>
> Hi there.
>
> When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
where
> does it go?
>
> I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
>
> Many thanks.
> Keith.
> www.keithwilby.org.uk
>
>


0
neoheart (690)
4/30/2004 3:19:35 PM
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
Office Automation say from Access?

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:O021MasLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
attachment
> is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
> else.
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> >
> > Hi there.
> >
> > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
> where
> > does it go?
> >
> > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Keith.
> > www.keithwilby.org.uk
> >
> >
>
>


0
Keith
5/1/2004 12:28:47 PM
Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with VB/VBA,
you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.

"Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:c7055v$bir$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
> Office Automation say from Access?
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:O021MasLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> attachment
> > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with everything
> > else.
> >
> > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> > >
> > > Hi there.
> > >
> > > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded, exactly
> > where
> > > does it go?
> > >
> > > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other things)
> > > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> > >
> > > Many thanks.
> > > Keith.
> > > www.keithwilby.org.uk
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
neoheart (690)
5/1/2004 2:46:32 PM
Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
(sorry to be such a pain ;-)).

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:e$$EZs4LEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
VB/VBA,
> you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
news:c7055v$bir$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments using
> > Office Automation say from Access?
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:O021MasLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> > attachment
> > > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with
everything
> > > else.
> > >
> > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> > > >
> > > > Hi there.
> > > >
> > > > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded,
exactly
> > > where
> > > > does it go?
> > > >
> > > > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other
things)
> > > > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> > > >
> > > > Many thanks.
> > > > Keith.
> > > > www.keithwilby.org.uk
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
Keith
5/2/2004 2:50:59 PM
This is a complex sample:
http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/quarexe.htm

Here is an Outlook VBA macro:

' sample requires an item to be open.
' change activeinspector to activeexplorer
' if working with an item displayed in preview only

Sub SaveAttachment()
  Dim objCurrentItem As Outlook.MailItem
  Dim colAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
  Dim objAttachment As Outlook.Attachment

  Set objCurrentItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
  Set colAttachments = objCurrentItem.Attachments

  For Each objAttachment In colAttachments
    objAttachment.SaveAsFile ("C:\" & objAttachment.FileName)
  Next

  Set objAttachment = Nothing
  Set colAttachments = Nothing
  objCurrentItem.Close (olDiscard)
  Set objCurrentItem = Nothing

End Sub

"Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
news:c731sj$ovu$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
> handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
> (sorry to be such a pain ;-)).
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:e$$EZs4LEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
> VB/VBA,
> > you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
> >
> > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> news:c7055v$bir$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments
using
> > > Office Automation say from Access?
> > >
> > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > news:O021MasLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> > > attachment
> > > > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with
> everything
> > > > else.
> > > >
> > > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > > news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > > > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi there.
> > > > >
> > > > > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded,
> exactly
> > > > where
> > > > > does it go?
> > > > >
> > > > > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other
> things)
> > > > > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> > > > >
> > > > > Many thanks.
> > > > > Keith.
> > > > > www.keithwilby.org.uk
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
neoheart (690)
5/2/2004 6:04:02 PM
Superb! Many thanks indeed.

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:e5eTb$GMEHA.1468@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> This is a complex sample:
> http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/quarexe.htm
>
> Here is an Outlook VBA macro:
>
> ' sample requires an item to be open.
> ' change activeinspector to activeexplorer
> ' if working with an item displayed in preview only
>
> Sub SaveAttachment()
>   Dim objCurrentItem As Outlook.MailItem
>   Dim colAttachments As Outlook.Attachments
>   Dim objAttachment As Outlook.Attachment
>
>   Set objCurrentItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
>   Set colAttachments = objCurrentItem.Attachments
>
>   For Each objAttachment In colAttachments
>     objAttachment.SaveAsFile ("C:\" & objAttachment.FileName)
>   Next
>
>   Set objAttachment = Nothing
>   Set colAttachments = Nothing
>   objCurrentItem.Close (olDiscard)
>   Set objCurrentItem = Nothing
>
> End Sub
>
> "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> news:c731sj$ovu$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> > Many thanks. I had already looked there but I can't find anything about
> > handling attachments.  Could you point me in the right general direction
> > (sorry to be such a pain ;-)).
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in message
> > news:e$$EZs4LEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > Yes.  If unfamiliar with Outlook's Object Model and comfortable with
> > VB/VBA,
> > > you might give http://www.outlookcode.com/d/index.htm a peek.
> > >
> > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > news:c7055v$bir$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > > Thanks for the response. Is it possible to access the attachments
> using
> > > > Office Automation say from Access?
> > > >
> > > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <neoheart@remove-heart.mvps.org> wrote in
message
> > > > news:O021MasLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > > > Assuming that you are working with an IMAP/POP/SMTP mailbox, the
> > > > attachment
> > > > > is stored in the Personal Folder (PST) file right along with
> > everything
> > > > > else.
> > > > >
> > > > > "Keith" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:c6tqc7$5gb$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > > > > Outlook 2k, WinXP Pro.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi there.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > When O2k connects to a server and an attachment is downloaded,
> > exactly
> > > > > where
> > > > > > does it go?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I want to design an MS Access application that (amongst other
> > things)
> > > > > > extracts the attachments in your Inbox to another location.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Many thanks.
> > > > > > Keith.
> > > > > > www.keithwilby.org.uk
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>


0
Keith
5/3/2004 8:47:30 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can't go directly to a http://www. address from EMail
We have Outlook Express 6, and we have never been able to get to, if we receive a http://www web address in our EMail to click on it and get directly to site. I understand after talking with our technician at our service provider that we should be able to do so. Why can't we and what specific steps should we take to do so. It could be a security setting not allowing you to execute it in Oe6. Thats what I would look at ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Outlook...

Problems with opening a few attachments
Hi Everyone I have had a few users experiencing problems with opening attachments in Outlook. When they try and do so, it comes up with a "Can't Open" error message. It is only occurring on a few attachments. I have checked the event log and there doesn't appear to be any issues on the Exchange server (2003). I have checked the hard disks on the server and there a re no issues with them. It is a single server Exchange 2003 environment. I am just wondering what the next course of action to take is. If you could get back to me on this as soon as possible it would be gr...

How to 'go to' a mail when they've been sorted (by subject, to, fr
When a folder is sorted by the to, from, or subject fields, how can I set up Outlook so that when I press an alpha key, Outlook goes to the first occurence? For example, sort on the From column with mails from senders last names Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe. The highlighted bar is on Cantaloupe, I should be able to press the letter A and have the blue bar jump to Apple. Some of my folders work like this, others do not. In the ones that do not, I notice that I am able to edit these fields directly in the folder view. turn off in-cell editing - it's an option in Customize view, Other...

remove attachments from ndr
I have setup max size on outgoing message and when a user send a message that exceeds the limit, he gets an ndr but the original message is still attached (there is no way to access it though). So for example if the limit is 4MB and the user sends a 5MB message the ndr message will be 5MB as well. I searched on the Internet and found article 308303 (Option to strip attachments for messages that generate an NDR). I did follow the instructions in this article but it does not work much. Any idea? Thanks. Check your work and verify you followed the steps correctly. Did you restart the ...

Where do you want to go tomorrow?
Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com, There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server. See this for example: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the web-based MSDN forums?. To Google groups, maybe? Regards, -- pa > Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the = web-based=20 > MSDN forums?. Windows kernel people - to OSR's forums, surely. --=20 Maxim S. Shatskih Windows DDK MVP maxim@storagecraft.com http://www.storagecraft.com Pavel ...

Transferring Order with attached POs -- not working
When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any thoughts? Ted Is the item being allocated and fulfilled on the order? "Ted Doolittle" wrote: > When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't > transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred > successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what ...

where can i find the attachment tab so it shows continuously
Before upgrading my office pc to Windows 7 i used Office 2007 and emails always had to: cc: bcc: and attachment beside the send button...now i can't find it, anyway have any ideas ...thanks in advance Click on the View button. You'll find BCC there. Also under the View button you can find Toolbars. Make sure you've clicked on Standard and Formatting to enable them. -- Kathleen Orland "Lorraine" <Lorraine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2EADC8D-25D7-4410-9E9A-1ECA4517E02C@microsoft.com... > Before upgrading my office pc to W...

Where did tips and tricks page go?
There was a page I once found which was titled Microsoft Outlook and Exchange Server Tips and Tricks I am at least 98% sure that the URL was : http://www.microsoft.com.... technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/exchange55/tips/default.asp I am able to find a page that has the exact same document in a word doc but I want the web page, This seems to have entirely disappeared from the web as google searches as well as entering the URL directly sends me to a different page, anyone have any Idea where it got to as this page had killer info and was written very well with pret...

Meeting responses for a calendar item are going to a recipient that is not on the "TO:" list.
I'm trying to figure out why meeting responses are going to an alternate recipient. I thought resonses would go to the meeting organizer. However, responses to meetings are going to the meeting organizer and to another recipient who is not listed in the TO: field for the meeting. Any ideas on troubleshooting this one? In news:ex$Pa6WEGHA.2724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, Jaycee <jaycee131973@hotmail.com> typed: > I'm trying to figure out why meeting responses are going to an > alternate recipient. I thought resonses would go to the meeting > organizer. However, re...

Default Word Attachment Opening View
How can I disable the default reading view in Word when opening an attachment? I have a client using Office 2003 with all Win Xp Updates and when opening an attachment the default Word View is the Reading 2 page view. He wants the older std Word print Layout view. Can this be changed? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041122.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

Problems with sending PDF file attachment
Employee sending emails from home computer running Outlook 10. When she attaches a .pdf file, somehow the mail is duplicated and sent numerous times until she manually shuts down Outlook. Has anyone else experienced this problem. How does it get fixed? Thanks Duffbeerlvr <duffbeerlvr@yahoo.com> wrote: > Employee sending emails from home computer running Outlook 10. When > she attaches a .pdf file, somehow the mail is duplicated and sent > numerous times until she manually shuts down Outlook. Has anyone else > experienced this problem. How does it get fixed? This can be t...

Message attachment size
I have a vbs script that will search through an Exchange 2003 server and find all messages with a given type of file attachment. Is there a way to get the attachment size as well? ...

RTF attachments #3
everytime I get an RTF file as an attachment, I can't open it. how can I disable this? ...

attachment handling in exchange 2003 vs. 5.5
One of our systems generates emails using a java-based program. I have no control over this. It attaches a Word document to the email and sends it to our client's server. Recently they switched from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and a problem has developed. Under 5.5, the word document was listed as an attachment. Under 2003, the word document appears to be embedded in the body of the email and there is no attachment. More about this later in this email. I believe the problem is caused by the Java program setting the Content-Type to "application/octet-stream". 1) Ca...

Cannot get email users email to go to isp email. It goes to exchange server instead.
We are using SBS2003 with EXCH2003. We have branch offices. If I put the branch office in SBS2003 as a user and send an email to the user (i.e. user@user.com) it ends up on the server and never gets sent to the branch office user. I'm using the pop3 connector to connect to our mail provider to send and receive mail. I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the server and have the email go directly to the user at our providers server. The reason why I put the branch office user on the server so that we can have the user in our Global Access List when do a mass email. Please advise. ...

Adobe attaching wrong instance of invoice
We have a customer who sends RM statements as PDF files via email. When they generate an invoice and attach it, Adobe is actually attaching a previous pdf file instead of the newly created one. We have had them clear temporary files, which worked but they are only using this option for a few customers and shouldn't have to delete temp files each time they want to use this option. Is there something else we can check? They are using Adobe 7.0 Thank you! ...

outlook 2003 reject .mdb attachment
I use outlook 2003 to get pop3 access from my yahoo email. for security reason, my outlook 2003 reject MS Access file .mdb as attachment when I receive the file. My yahoo mail alows me to download .mdb attachment. How to allow outlook to accept .mdb as attachment as well? http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.co...

E-mail attachments grayed out
I'm running Outlook Express with Windows XP, when I receive an e-mail with an attachment the attachment is grayed out were I can't open it. Is this a setting in Outlook Express that needs to be changed or a setting for my Norton Virus system that needs to be changed. I'm running Norton 2003. This can be any type of file that I receive from word to excel to jpeg files. Tools, Options, Security. Uncheck the box that starts with "do not allow attachments..." -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - ...

Same note attached to multiple orders
I have an order note that appears on about 10 different orders. I looked at SOP10100, and all of the orders have the same NOTEINDX value. I also looked at SY03900, and I see that there are several different records that all have the text of the note. What caused this, and how do I fix it? All too often, during the installation of Dynamics GP, the installer does not pay attention to setting the location of the OLE notes. When this happens, different users will pick their own spot for the recording of notes. Lets say 3 different people pick 3 different places for the storage of notes...

how do i set up a "send as attachment" shortcut in in a document
I would like to include a "hyperlink button" on an excel document that would enable the viewer to enter data, click on the button, and then have the document sent to an assigned email address as an attachment. Check out Ron's articles on working with worksheets/workbooks in email: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb268022.aspx -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "SB47MASS" wrote: > I would like to include a "hyperlink button" on an excel document that would > enable the viewe...

How do you read the attachment once you get the file?
In my message attachment the user clicks on the message a new page is popped up. Question, How I get the contents of the message so the user can read it. Mind you the message is stored in a database file. I can see the ID on the next page, please see my code so far. private void SetAttachment(Go.Message message) { if(message.MessageAttachments != null) { IDictionaryEnumerator enumer = message.MessageAttachments.GetNumerator(); while(enumer.movenext) { GO.myFile file = (GO.myFile)enumer.Value; Label hyper = new Label(); hyper.Text = file.FileNM; ...

unable to open excel attachments using outlook
Sometimes I am unable to open Excel spreadsheet attachments. I am using server 2008. error states: Microsoft excel previewer. cannot create file. right click folder you want to create file in, then click properties on shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. Can anyone help me in this matter. mbourgon wrote: > Sometimes I am unable to open Excel spreadsheet attachments. > I am using server 2008. > error states: Microsoft excel previewer. > cannot create file. right click folder you want to create file in, then > click properties on shortcut men...

Printing Attachments gets a blank page.
Hi. I'm having the following problem on outlook 2003. When i right click and choose print in a email attachment the printer pulls a paper sheet and sends it out directly. No error. I got a blank page. The printer is working fine, if i print from word, excel or even if i try to print the same email. Even if i open the attachment and try to print it does the same, the only way i found that made it print was after opening the attached file go to the print settings and change anything on the printing settings. Any clue on how to resolve this? I already created a new profile and didn'...

Make messages email or word auto go to a contact when created from a contact
When I type a message to a contact using contacts how do I make the message apprear in notes or part of the contact with out copy paste Select the "Activities" tab of the Contact. Specify your issue if this is not what you mean. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my ...

Rule to search for specific text in attachment?
Rule to search for specific text in attachment... Does anyone know if this can be done? The antiviral that our company uses replaces the infected attachement with a text file containing the following text: "This attachment has been replaced with this message because it was found to contain a virus:" That's great - but I seem to have nothing to "lock into" then I attempt to create a rule... There is nothing unique in the message header, subject, or message body that I can use either. The only thing I have to work with is that unique text in the attachment... This l...