What OL2003 does after you clear many messages from Deleted Items

I find this annoying and am wondering if anyone else has noticed it. I use
OL2003 with a PST (no Exchange) on XPSP2. My PST is usually not much over
100MB.

When going into Deleted Items and clearing out, I don't know, on the order
of at least 500 or 1000 messages, I notice a sudden amount of disk activity.
I've used Sysinternal's Filemon to find that it's Outlook, presumably doing
some kind of subtle behind-the-scenes compaction. (Note that I have
AutoArchive disabled, so it's not that.) Problem is that this stealth
compaction goes on for 10, 15, 20 minutes or more, with the disk chattering
away the whole time. In order to avoid that drawn-out process, after I clear
my messages I simply do a manual compaction, which takes a minute or two, so
that Outlook doesn't need to do its own much less efficient "background
compaction."

Is this documented as known behavior?  If so, is there perhaps an obscure
Registry hack to disable it?

Thanks

0
btvs (25)

It is working as designed.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Milhouse Van Houten asked:

| I find this annoying and am wondering if anyone else has noticed it.
| I use OL2003 with a PST (no Exchange) on XPSP2. My PST is usually not
| much over 100MB.
|
| When going into Deleted Items and clearing out, I don't know, on the
| order of at least 500 or 1000 messages, I notice a sudden amount of
| disk activity. I've used Sysinternal's Filemon to find that it's
| Outlook, presumably doing some kind of subtle behind-the-scenes
| compaction. (Note that I have AutoArchive disabled, so it's not
| that.) Problem is that this stealth compaction goes on for 10, 15, 20
| minutes or more, with the disk chattering away the whole time. In
| order to avoid that drawn-out process, after I clear my messages I
| simply do a manual compaction, which takes a minute or two, so that
| Outlook doesn't need to do its own much less efficient "background
| compaction."
|
| Is this documented as known behavior?  If so, is there perhaps an
| obscure Registry hack to disable it?
|
| Thanks

0
MillyS (3228)

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Wrong message with cascading deletes
A2003: Table Person linked 1 X M to table Activity. The relationship has its Referential Integrity checkbox and the Cascade Delete checkbox both checked. When I delete a person all related Activity records are deleted which is to be expected. According to http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=26115&seqNum=5 I should get the following message in this case: "Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 1 record(s) in this table and in related tables to be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete these records?" In stead I get: &quo...

Receipt not in Item Transaction Inquiry
I have a client that uses project accounting. They have received against a purchase order. The receipt shows up in the Purchase Receipts Inquiry, but does not show up in the Item Transaction Inquiry. What could be causing this? ...

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CFile (delete file)

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Interface not registered message

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

how many receivers i can add

Duplicate Messages

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

Forwarded messages are not being sent

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Workplace Queues

Right clicking on a CListCtrl item
I have a TreeCtl object in a dialog box. I created an OnNMRclick.. override function to capture a right clicks. The problem I can't figure out is how to find the tree item that the user has right clicked on. Here's what I tried: void CRestoreFiles::OnNMRclickXYZ(NMHDR *pNMHDR, LRESULT *pResult) POINT CurPos; TVHITTESTINFO lpht; HTREEITEM RightClickItem; GetCursorPos(&CurPos); lpht.pt = CurPos; RightClickItem = TreeView_HitTest(pNMHDR->hwndFrom,&lpht); ... I figured that GetCursorPos would give me the position of the cursor where I had right clicke...

item class table

Entourage (allegedly) cannot see message body sent by OWA
We have a external company receiving emails from us and claim they cannot see the message body when the email is sent from OWA. We are on 2003 SP2 btw. The external party claims that the following patch for OWA fixes the problem http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5BC06E8A-08EB-4976-BC68-A03EBE3A2552&displaylang=en I am sceptical! Any thoughts Ignore!! I just saw another thread wit hthe details for this one. Thread is "OWA message text disappears" "Peter T" wrote: > We have a external company receiving emails from us and claim they cannot...

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...