Weblink launch from Ootlook 2003 hangs

WinXP SP3
Outlook 2003, popmail
IE7

Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND IE
explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home page ->
OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays blank and "in
process".

What can I do to fix this?

If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.

Thx

--

*****************
John Lenz

0
JohnLenz (10)

Did you try resetting web settings in IE?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> WinXP SP3
> Outlook 2003, popmail
> IE7
>
> Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND
> IE explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home
> page -> OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays blank
> and "in process".
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
> If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.
>
> Thx
>

> --
>
> *****************
> John Lenz
> JohnLenz@comcast.net

0
outlookmvp (5838)
3/6/2009 5:51:06 PM
Diane,

I tried tip ... Try resetting Internet Explorer - from either IE's tools,
options menu or Control panel, Internet settings, go to the Programs tab and
click the button to reset web settings.

However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where should
I look to reset?

Thx
John
--

*****************
John Lenz

> Did you try resetting web settings in IE?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> WinXP SP3
>> Outlook 2003, popmail
>> IE7
>>
>> Whenever I click a weblink (launch) from within outlook mail message AND
>> IE explorer is not already open, I get 2 windows. Window 1 is the home
>> page -> OK. Windows 2 is the URL of the weblink. This window 2 stays
>> blank and "in process".
>>
>> What can I do to fix this?
>>
>> If IE is already open, the windows 2 functions and opens the URL.
>>
>> Thx
>>

>> --
>>
>> *****************
>> John Lenz
>> JohnLenz@comcast.net

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/7/2009 4:06:38 PM

> However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where should
> I look to reset?

Tools>internet Options>Advanced>Reset
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/8/2009 8:50:16 PM
Brian,

 I completed the reset and it still does not work.

Here is the scenario:

Outlook mail open.
IE7 not open
Select and open a weblink from within a message
2 IE7 windows launch
    1 - Home page
    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)

To correct:
Outlook mail open
IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
Select and open same weblink from within a message
A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL

Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?

Thx for your help

--

*****************
John Lenz

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> However, in my IE7 under programs, there is no "reset" button. Where
>> should I look to reset?
>
> Tools>internet Options>Advanced>Reset
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/12/2009 5:54:54 PM

> I completed the reset and it still does not work.
>
> Here is the scenario:
>
> Outlook mail open.
> IE7 not open
> Select and open a weblink from within a message
> 2 IE7 windows launch
>    1 - Home page
>    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)
>
> To correct:
> Outlook mail open
> IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
> Select and open same weblink from within a message
> A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL
>
> Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?

Have you tried rebuilding the open action for the HyperText Transfer Protocol
file type?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/12/2009 7:53:08 PM
Sounds promising for this problem. Is there a KB to walk me through it?

Thx
John

--

*****************

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> I completed the reset and it still does not work.
>>
>> Here is the scenario:
>>
>> Outlook mail open.
>> IE7 not open
>> Select and open a weblink from within a message
>> 2 IE7 windows launch
>>    1 - Home page
>>    2 - blank page with hour glass and no URL at the bottom (hangs)
>>
>> To correct:
>> Outlook mail open
>> IE7 open at home page and/or other tabs
>> Select and open same weblink from within a message
>> A IE7 tab opens with weblink URL
>>
>> Why does the first launch of IE7 from outlook not work?
>
> Have you tried rebuilding the open action for the HyperText Transfer
> Protocol file type?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
JohnLenz (10)
3/13/2009 4:35:02 PM

> Sounds promising for this problem. Is there a KB to walk me through it?

I don't know, but here's how you can do it.  Open My Computer.  Click
Tools>Folder Options.  Select the File Types tab.  Locate the "URL:HyperText
transfer Protocol" file type and select it.  Click Advanced.  Select the
"open" action and click Edit.  In the "Application used to perform action"
pane, enter

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Be sure to include the quotes and spaces.  Check the "Use DDE" box.  Make sure
the "DDE Message" box contains:

"%1",,-1,0,,,,

including quotes and all punctuation.  The Application field should contain
"IExplore".  The "Topic" field on my PC contains "WWW_OpenURL" (without the
quotes) but I don't know if that's necessary.  Click OK, then OK, then OK.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

OWA Exch 2003 Not Working
I am running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. I am trying to acces OWA and when I do, it says that the page is under maintenance. I have tried to do http://127.0.0.1/Exchange and also http://servername/Exchange and I get the same message. Did OWA not install right. On 14 Mar, 13:01, Jeff <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am running Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003. I am trying to acces OWA and > when I do, it says that the page is under maintenance. I have tried to dohttp://127.0.0.1/Exchangeand alsohttp://servername/Exchangeand I get the > same message. Did OWA no...

access 2003 (sp3) The program stops responding
Hi When I change something i a form (design view) ,the program stops responding for while. Not used network connection are disconnected. Hodde <Hodde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I change something i a form (design view) ,the program stops responding >for while. Not used network connection are disconnected. Check your table links. You might have some tables pointing to a network share. Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://ms...

News reader for 2003
When I setup my newsreader in Outlook 2003 it defaults to Outlook Express. How can I change that? I want the newsreader for 2003! Thanks, Biff Outlook Express is the newsreader for Outlook 2003, just like always. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "biff" <bjdky@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Nz9Yc.1664$OQ6.802@trnddc09... > When I setup my newsreader in Outlook 2003 it defaults to Outlook Express. > How can I change that? I want the newsreader for 2003! > > > Thanks, > > Biff > ...

Auto complete in Excel (Office) 2003
Is it possible to increase the *memory* of autocomplete?? I notice in the columns that excel will attempt to autocomplete if the text has been used in the last 100 or so cells (i think). What I would like is it to attempt to remember , say, 500 cells back. Is this possible?? Have I explained myself well enough? :-) Cheers Bob Check http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219730 fo possible solution -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook 2003 cant see email body
I upgraded a machine from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. I cannot view the body of the emails. they are listed in the folders and the autopreview shows the fiorst three lines on most of them but the html body seems to have disappeared. This applies to newly received as well as old emails. ...

IE 7 and OWA to Exchange 2003
I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve the problem. I still can't send mails. We're using Exchange 2003 standard with SP2 on Windows 2003 R2. Any thoughts ? Haim Beyhan "Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote: >I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new >message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve >the problem. I still can't send mails. >We're using Exchange 2003 sta...

Outlook 2003 wont send email-very weird
Greetings. Last month installed Outlook 2003(Office 2003 Teacher/Student edition) The other day I found out that email I have been sending have not really been sent. Did some tests. Email goes into outbox fine. Email sends and then goes into my sent box. BUT, it never really gets sent. I have tested this many times. All the email in my sent box never actually goes anywhere. I have setup Outlook Express and it sends email with my ISP just fine. I have done a TEST AND REPAIR to no avail I have installed all updates to no avail I have uninstalled Outlook 2003 and reinstalled it to no ava...

Outlook 2003 Imap Auto Purge wish list
I hope someone at Microsoft can code in a auto purge Imap deleted email function into there next Service Pack. I can see a problem rolling this out to our employees. There going to delete messages and those messages are going to stay on the Email server until they do a Purge. I'm afraid they just won't do this. We use Imap. No auto purge means emails staying on the server which over time just takes up hard drive space and makes tape backups take longer. wayne Hi Wayne, You should send suggestions to mswish@microsoft.com as the newsgroups are not monitored for feature request...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

RPC over HTTP/S on Exchange 2003
I have been configuring my single server with exchange to use RPC over https I have followed the instructions in MS guide and another simplified guide at http://www.petri.co.il/configure_rpc_over_https_on_a_single_server.htm Server spec is: Server 2003 standard SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1, XP client SP2 with outlook 2003 sp2 The bottom line is that when testing from the WAN, the outlook client will not connect and say that the exchange server is unavailable. I have a lot of experience configuring rpc over http/s with sbs2003 but this is the first time for server 2003 standard. I have outlook ...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

organizing hotmail emails within outlook 2003
At home I have outlook 2003 on windows xp configured so that my hotmail email is picked up in outlook. I have outlook on exchange at work and have found that organizing my email by color is invaluable. I tried to organize my hotmail email by color and with rules, however outlook will not let me do so. Is there a way around this? If I could get the mail in my hotmail account into the main default "inbox" under personal folders in outlook then I can organize the email how I want to, however when I try to do this I have no success in doing so. colors are controlled by views, not r...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

2003 Outlook email only downloads headers, not the full message
When I attempt to open an email I receive " This is a message header. The full item has not been downloaded." At INBOX, ALT CTRL-S >SEND/RECEIVE GROUP>All Accounts>EDIT >displays an option to display headers only or the entire message including the attachment. In the grayed out area, I can see that a dot in the display headers only section. Due to the gray out I cannot chooose the alternate selection. How can I access the alternate choice? Which mail account type are you using? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft O...

INI files with VB 2003.NET
Which is the best VB newsgroup for VB.NET (.NET v1.1 in VS 2003.NET)? I'm looking for a way to do some simple serialisation of settings, possibly using a simple INI file in the application directory. Does .NET support this or should I use the registry? I like the idea of the INI file because its so simple. Can anyone point me at the class to use or perhaops an example on the web. I'm an experienced C++ and Delphi developer, but am fairly new to VB and also fairly new to .NET. Many thanks, Alain > Which is the best VB newsgroup for VB.NET (.NET v1.1 in VS...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Exchange 2003 smtp queues e-mail delay outbound mails
Hello, Our exchange server is creating several smtp queues whit not valid e-mails I tested our server, and is not a relay problem. The outbound mails should be enable or not ? Thanks Rui On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:01:02 -0800, Rui <Rui@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, >Our exchange server is creating several smtp queues whit not valid e-mails >I tested our server, and is not a relay problem. > >The outbound mails should be enable or not ? > >Thanks >Rui > > They will be attempts at NDR's back to non existent senders following incoming spam m...

Visio 2003--Can't drag objects from templates into flow charts.
Utilizing Visio 2003 in an Microsoft XP environment, I have not been able to drag objects from templates onto flow charts. I do not understand why. ...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

Viewing shared 2003 outlook calendar in 2007 Outlook
Shared calendars with colleagues who have 2003. I can see the calendar but not the info in the calendar. Nothing is provate marked from their side and is able to be seen by other 2003 users. is there a quick fix? ...

Exchange 2003
I've set up a policy that deletes items in the "Deleted Items" folder that are 7 days old (no size limit). For some reason Mailbox Management finds no deleted items. See the email I receive below... The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2006-02-25 00:08:58 Completed at: 2006-02-25 00:08:59 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB The information store is 82 GB's big...there is no way there are no deleted items. I've had this pr...

Exchange 2003 SP1 to get DST patch & Exchange 2000 patch is available to anyone for $4,000
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C746B0.CFF31030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable http://blogs.technet.com/hied_west_blog/archive/2007/02/01/dst-2007-updat= e-outlook-time-zone-data-update-tool-released-february-1-2007.aspx In the "New Highlights" section: "Exchange Server 2003 SP1 will now be = supported for an updated version of the Exchange CDO patch to be = released shortly." and "DST Hotfixes for products in Extended Support can now be purchased for = ...

How to Change Outgoing port in Exchange 2003
I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector to get the e-mail from my account and also send the email out throught the SMTP server. Starting last Friday the outgoing mail is not being sent. Earthlink tells me that they are now using port 587 for the outgoing mail. How do I change the outgoing mail SMTP port? Thanks -- Don Holden -- Don Holden On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:07:02 -0700, Don Holden <DonHolden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 on a SBS 2003 server and using the POP3 connector >to get the e-mail from my...

ESM 2003 info store Error on WinXP PC
ESM 2003 on Windows XP SP1a PC: Installed exchange system manager onto a windows xp sp 1a pc. I can run ESM fine, yet not administer public folders. When I access a public folder's properties, select the Permissions Tab and click "client permissions" button, I get an error-- The information store could not be opened. The logon to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer failed. MAPI 1.0 ID no: 80040111-0286-00000000 ID no: c105000 Exchange System Manager OK. Any ideas to resolve? Using ESM on server (even through RDC) works fine! Thanks! ~Terry ...

How do I set up mixed page orientations in Publisher 2003?
I'm trying to create a duplex publication where one side is in portrait and the reverse is in landscape. I've tried looking in the halp and through all the menus but it seems that I can only have one or the other. Can anybody help? Publisher (any version) does not support this. The workaround most frequently offered is to design your landscape page, group the all the objects, then rotate 90 degrees. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "T. Mitchell"...