We want to make it so internal read reciepts cannot be refused

We are running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server.  We want to set it up so
that if a message is sent with the a read reciept request that the reader
can't say no. This would be for internal network users only. Is this possible?

Our old system, Groupwise, showed you who had read your e-mail, who had
deleted it (with or without reading).  This is very helpful when you need to
prove that someone did read a message that you sent them.

Any help would be appreciated. Third Party software suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
0
ConnieN (2)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:24:02 -1000, ConnieN
<ConnieN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We are running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server.  We want to set it
> up so
> that if a message is sent with the a read reciept request that the reader
> can't say no. This would be for internal network users only. Is this
> possible?

Yes.  Set a company policy that says that read receipt settings must be
left on "Always send a response" and that anybody who changes that setting
will be fired. :-)

There might also be a group policy setting for it - but really this is
more a behavioral problem than a technical one and, as a wise Ed has been
known to say "There are seldom good technical solutions to behavioral
problems."

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:24:02 -1000, ConnieN
> <ConnieN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > We are running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server.  We want to set it
> > up so
> > that if a message is sent with the a read reciept request that the reader
> > can't say no. This would be for internal network users only. Is this
> > possible?
>
> Yes.  Set a company policy that says that read receipt settings must be
> left on "Always send a response" and that anybody who changes that setting
> will be fired. :-)
>
> There might also be a group policy setting for it - but really this is
> more a behavioral problem than a technical one and, as a wise Ed has been
> known to say "There are seldom good technical solutions to behavioral
> problems."
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP

Ben,
I agree with you, but when you work for the government you have to push some
issues because policy doesn't always work with management who don't want to
play by the rules.  So we need software to make sure that they do.

Thanks for your help :0)
0
ConnieN (2)
4/14/2005 10:42:01 PM
My government agency uses read receipts but they are abused so badly that I
have disabled the preview pane from marking anything as read and send read
receipts only to managers and higher.  I have no need to inform the clerk
that I have read their joke mail and invite a long conversation about
whether it is a hoax or not.  I generally read them, not mark them read, and
delete, KNOWING that they will get the notice that their mail (unwelcome)
was deleted without being read. It actually works, sometimes!

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, ConnieN asked:

| "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" wrote:
|
|| On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:24:02 -1000, ConnieN
|| <ConnieN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
||| We are running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server.  We want to
||| set it up so
||| that if a message is sent with the a read reciept request that the
||| reader can't say no. This would be for internal network users only.
||| Is this possible?
|| Yes.  Set a company policy that says that read receipt settings must
|| be left on "Always send a response" and that anybody who changes
|| that setting will be fired. :-)
|| There might also be a group policy setting for it - but really this
|| is more a behavioral problem than a technical one and, as a wise Ed
|| has been known to say "There are seldom good technical solutions to
|| behavioral problems."
|| --
|| -Ben-
|| Ben M. Schorr, MVP
|
| Ben,
| I agree with you, but when you work for the government you have to
| push some issues because policy doesn't always work with management
| who don't want to play by the rules.  So we need software to make
| sure that they do.
|
| Thanks for your help :0)

0
MillyS (3228)