View the source of a message (Outlook 2000)

Hi to all!

Since some months I search for a possibility to view the entire source of a
message in Outlook 2000 SP-3 (background: by some means or other there is
sometimes a message slipping through my filters - and then I DO NOT want to
see it in Outlook's state-of-the-art multimedia viewer).

In case you have questions:

Yes, I know that I can view the header of the message by right-clicking on
it in the overview and selecting "Options".

Yes, I know that I can view the source of just the body by right-clicking on
it in the message view and selecting "View source".

But I don't want any of these! I want to view the complete source of the
entire message (like it ist possible in Outlook Express by right-clicking
and selecting "Properties"-"Details"-"Source...").

Does really noone know? Or is it just not possible? Then I will keep
question myself how Microsoft can be so stupid to build this feature into
its low-cost Outlook Express and leave it out of its office suite Outlook.

I expect any answer! Thanks in advance!

Bjoern

"Bj�rn Schlaak" <NObschlaakSPAM@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi to all!
>
> Since some months I search for a possibility to view the entire source of
> message in Outlook 2000 SP-3 (background: by some means or other there is
> sometimes a message slipping through my filters - and then I DO NOT want
> see it in Outlook's state-of-the-art multimedia viewer).
>
> In case you have questions:
>
> Yes, I know that I can view the header of the message by right-clicking on
> it in the overview and selecting "Options".
>
> Yes, I know that I can view the source of just the body by right-clicking
on
> it in the message view and selecting "View source".
>
> But I don't want any of these! I want to view the complete source of the
> entire message (like it ist possible in Outlook Express by right-clicking
> and selecting "Properties"-"Details"-"Source...").
>
> Does really noone know? Or is it just not possible? Then I will keep
> question myself how Microsoft can be so stupid to build this feature into
> its low-cost Outlook Express and leave it out of its office suite Outlook.
>
> I expect any answer! Thanks in advance!
>

> Bjoern

It's not a question of Microsoft being "stupid" in leaving this function out
of Outlook - the two programs were originally designed for completely
different users. OE was originally "Microsoft Internet Mail and News" (hence
the name of the executable), and aimed at the Home user while Outlook was
(and still is) designed primarily to be used to connect to Exchange Server
in a business/network environment where spam etc etc is dealt with by the
use of server tools, and not by the individual recipient. The fact that a
lot of people now use Outlook as a stand-alone Internet Mail client probably
does not warrant the further "bloating" of the application to include this
function.

0
me9 (928)
11/11/2003 3:13:33 PM
Hi,

first of all - thanks for the answer.

"rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message
> The fact that a
> lot of people now use Outlook as a stand-alone Internet Mail client
probably
> does not warrant the further "bloating" of the application to include this
> function.

That may be. But I don't think that it's very complicated to include such a
function (because it's possible to look at the header as well as see the
source - why not put those both things together?). And this is function is
not only use for SPAM-fighting purposes but for other means also ... e.g.
until now I did not find a way to forward an entire message (headers and
body in plain text) to a third person - I always have to paste the headers
in manually and if the original was an HTML message I have to copy and paste
the source manually as well. I don't think that such "features" are very
handy to people who use Outlook "heavy-way" at office (as you stated).

But to come back to my original question: is there a possibility to see the
source of an entire message as I described? Or don't you know any answer,
too?

Bjoern

look for an addin called pocketknife peek.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - OneNote 2003

http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com
Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

"Bj�rn Schlaak" <NObschlaakSPAM@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi to all!
>
> Since some months I search for a possibility to view the entire source of
> message in Outlook 2000 SP-3 (background: by some means or other there is
> sometimes a message slipping through my filters - and then I DO NOT want
> see it in Outlook's state-of-the-art multimedia viewer).
>
> In case you have questions:
>
> Yes, I know that I can view the header of the message by right-clicking on
> it in the overview and selecting "Options".
>
> Yes, I know that I can view the source of just the body by right-clicking
on
> it in the message view and selecting "View source".
>
> But I don't want any of these! I want to view the complete source of the
> entire message (like it ist possible in Outlook Express by right-clicking
> and selecting "Properties"-"Details"-"Source...").
>
> Does really noone know? Or is it just not possible? Then I will keep
> question myself how Microsoft can be so stupid to build this feature into
> its low-cost Outlook Express and leave it out of its office suite Outlook.
>
> I expect any answer! Thanks in advance!
>

> Bjoern

0
dianenws (1904)
11/11/2003 3:56:40 PM
For your version, only with a 3rd party utility or VBA.

Outlook 2003 improves things -
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/view_source.htm - although pocketknife
peek or VBA is still easier than using the built-in way.

--

> But to come back to my original question: is there a possibility to see
the
> source of an entire message as I described? Or don't you know any answer,
> too?
>

> Bjoern

0
dianenws (1904)
11/11/2003 4:03:56 PM
Hi!

Many thanks! So I have to update and throw another fortune into Bill's ...
:-(

Bjoern

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> For your version, only with a 3rd party utility or VBA.
>
> Outlook 2003 improves things -
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/view_source.htm - although pocketknife
> peek or VBA is still easier than using the built-in way.
>
> --
>

> "Bj�rn Schlaak" <NObschlaakSPAM@gmx.de> wrote in message
>
> > But to come back to my original question: is there a possibility to see
> the
> > source of an entire message as I described? Or don't you know any
answer,
> > too?
> >

> > Bjoern

Hi once more,

I took a look at this "pocketknife". It's nice - that's right. But it's not
what I want. It's not what Outlook Express provides.

I just want to have a look at the entire source of the whole message. The
message as it arrives. The message that I'm not allowed to see (because
Outlook is sooooo clever!).

OK. So noone knows. And noone cares. And those silly guys at Microsoft don't
care either - instead they spend my money on big houses and big yachts.
Fine. So I have to write a silly little plug-in on my own. :-(

Bjoern

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message
> For your version, only with a 3rd party utility or VBA.
>
> Outlook 2003 improves things -
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/view_source.htm - although pocketknife
> peek or VBA is still easier than using the built-in way.
>
> --
>

> "Bj�rn Schlaak" <NObschlaakSPAM@gmx.de> wrote in message
>
> > But to come back to my original question: is there a possibility to see
> the
> > source of an entire message as I described? Or don't you know any
answer,
> > too?
> >

> > Bjoern

Store Operations crashes when viewing journal (F4) on register 2.
We have two registers, register 1 is the main machine where the database is located and register 2 is networked into it. Whenever you try to view the journal (F4) on register 2, the program crashes and gives this message just before closing: Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Install a default windows printer on register 2 - even if it's just something like the print to fax or MS Office Document...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"