Upgrading from 2002 to 2003

Hi All,

My Outlook 2002 .pst file is currently close to 2gb and it will soo
reach it's limit and stops working as most of you know.  I know tha
Outlook 2003 supports over 20gb.

My question is, if I upgrade to Outlook 2003 now, will it automaticall
solve this issue when it goes over the 2gb limit and it wil
automatically convert my existing .pst file from the current Ans
format to the new unicode format.

If not, then do I need to simply install Outlook 2003 from scratch an
import my exist .pst in order for this to work properly.

I just want to do it the right way before performing the upgrade.

Thanks for all your help!

Joh

anyone

Outlook 2003 won't convert the file automatically.  Install Outlook 2003 and
let it create a new Unicode format .PST, then use File | Open | Outlook Data
File to open your old .PST file.  Click the Folder List button on the
Navigation Pane so you can see all the folders at once, then copy your data
from the old .PST to the new one.  For default folders such as the Inbox,
you will need to switch the old folder to an unfiltered table view such as
By Category, select all items using CTRL+A, and drag the items to the new
folder.  User-created folders can be copied to the new .PST file in their
entirety; just drag and drop the folder itself.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:jkiny.14shm1@outlookforum.com,
jkiny wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My Outlook 2002 .pst file is currently close to 2gb and it will soon
> reach it's limit and stops working as most of you know.  I know that
> Outlook 2003 supports over 20gb.
>
> My question is, if I upgrade to Outlook 2003 now, will it
> automatically solve this issue when it goes over the 2gb limit and it
> will automatically convert my existing .pst file from the current Ansi
> format to the new unicode format.
>
> If not, then do I need to simply install Outlook 2003 from scratch and
> import my exist .pst in order for this to work properly.
>
> I just want to do it the right way before performing the upgrade.
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> John

> ~~View and post usenet messages directly from
> http://www.ExcelForum.com/

missing payee data (Money 2003)
I have automatic payments being made to one payee and although the payments ae being made as they should they do not appear on my payee info. If I go to the transaction and then go to the payee these items show under the payee's name but when I access from the payee list itself they are msssing?? what is happening? Matt: I'm having a similar problem in that I inadvertently deleted some payees from the payee list. Auto-complete brings them up when I'm going to make an electronic payment, but they's no longer in the payee list. I've submitted the problem Microsof...

Outlook 2002 not saving passwords
Hi, I've got Outlook 2002 on two WinXP machines. I've entered multiple email accounts into each of them, which are set up correctly and can send and receive email fine. The problem is that every time I close Outlook, when I open it again the passwords have been erased (not saved). Yes, I have been checking the "save password" checkboxes. Is this a bug that anyone knows about? Help!! MS Outlook 2002 version 10.2627.2625 Thanks :) -- ------------------- Brian P Donohue Thumbprint Interactive (TM) www.thumbprintweb.com For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: htt...

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Exchange Configuration Issue
I am having a problem configuring Exchange on a brand new install of Windows Small Business Server 2003. When I open the server management console and click on the Exchange folder an error occurs stating that the "snap-in failed to initialize". Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Eric What error are you receiving? Try opening ESM from Start-Programs-Microsoft Exchange, what happens? Do you have SBS 2003 SP1 installed? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Eric R. Wolfe" <ericwolfe@on-the-job.net> wrote i...

Can't view .TIFF after install of Offcie 2002 SP3
Has anyone seen this senario: Could view tiff and embedded tiffs in documents in Office 2002 SP2 but not after the install of Office 2002 SP3 ...

Split window in Outlook 2003? #2
Hello! I wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to split the window in Outlook 2003 so that you can see your e-mails (Inbox with preview) and your calender at the same time? I can only switch between e-mail and calender or open the calender in a seperate window. -- Andreas Andreas <Andreas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to split the window in > Outlook 2003 so that you can see your e-mails (Inbox with preview) > and your calender at the same time? Outlook 2003 doesn't have that feature. > I can only switch ...

outlook 2003 problems #5
Hi Many of my users report problems when they are opening attachments in outlook2003. word and excel attatchm.....it takes alot of time from klicking the attatchment to get it open...and sometimes they get a "operation failed" from outlook. This is not the same attatchment, so the problem is not the attachm. I have the same problem on my laptop...and i have also tried to reinnstall and apply all patches sp1. with no luck. Is this a problem in office 2003?? and i think it is much slower to use..?? is this true?? I hav etried to save the attachment to local drive...but it is st...

My Publisher 2003 splits words inappropriately.
When I am inputting regular text in text boxes, Publisher does not keep words together. It doesn't hyphenate them, just splits them at the end of the text line. For example, the word "For" would read with the "F" on line 1 and the "or" on line 2. Any suggestions? Look under the format menu, "Autofit Text", what do you have checked? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "SteamboatJen" <SteamboatJen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA23AF98-3F5A-4F...

Outlook 2003
I am a delegate receiving meeting requests for several people. In my Inbox, there is no way to tell which meeting requests are really for me (i.e. I am invited to the meeting) and which meeting requests I am receiving on behalf of others (I am not invited to the meeting but may accept or decline on behalf of the person whose delegate I am). I have created sub-folders for each of the managers whose meeting requests I receive. I would like meeting requests I receive on behalf of others to be filtered into the appropriate sub-folder, bypassing my Inbox. I have made many attempts ...

Where can I find a user's home directory in sbs 2003
Hi there, I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I would like to check on the home directory first. Where can I find the 'Home directory' please. Many thanks, Exchange doesn't have any such "home directory". -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:epvr3h$hl4$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk... > Hi there, > > I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I > would like to ...

Office X to Office 11.1.0 upgrade problem
I have just upgraded to Office X 10.1.6 and wanted to go on to Office 11.1.0. When I try and load Office 11.1.0 it tells me I cannot do this - any ideas?? Phil The upgrade from Office v.X to Office 2004 (v.11) is *not* free. You will have to buy Office 2004 (since you already have Office v.X, you can get the upgrade, which is considerably cheaper than the regular edition) before you can update it to v.11.1. Michel On 27.03.05 11:22, in article 1111915374.297355.21880@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "PhilT" <phil@thethirdstage.com> wrote: > I have just upgraded to Office...

2000 Server Connection to 2003 over VPN
Here is my issue: My company has a remote office in Montana. We have 2 Cisco 501 Pix connecting the sites via VPN. The 2003 Servers from WA can see the Montana office with no problem as can all the Workstations. The 2 windows 2000 SP4 Servers however can not see the 2003 server in Montana or vice versa. When pinging the servers from either side it does reolve to the correct IP however the ping drops. Every other IP connects fine. Something in the 2000 servers are blocking the connection over the VPN any ideas would be great... Thanks Jeremy SOme things to check: DNS zones on both ends, st...

SBS 2003 and Windows 7 Folder Redirection
Hi I have a simple Windows 2003 server, and we have 4 XP Pro clients... I have setup folder redirection for Desktop and My Documents to my users home directory.., and this works fine..., no problems... We have just brought a Windows 7 machine, and I have added it to the Domain and usual, rebooted and logged in, but the folder redirection doesn't seem to be working...? Is there something else I have to do here to get this to work...? Any help is mush appreciated.... Col Vista and Windows 7 use a different group policy for folder redirection that is not backwar...

Exchange 2003: One user getting "No transport provider was available for delivery to this" several times a day
We run Exchange 2003 in a WIndows 2000 domain. Most of our clients (including the problem user) use citrix, so the setup for individuals has little variation on basics such as Outlook 2003. One user continually has problems sending out and several times a day (sometimes much more), she is prevented from sending emails with the error: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: John Doe on 20/09/2007 10:01 No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient. I looked up the 'no transport' issue on Microsoft KB, and nothing was really applica...

Upgrade to enterprise

Print Problems Excel 2003
Hi, I am trying to print a chart as a PDF with some data beside it. There are currently 960 points (240 rows, 4 columns, plus 2 axis) The chart displays fine within Excel worksheet, but when print or print preview is selected about half way down the 1st page the majority of the graph points are in a single row and then on subsequent pages the graph section is blank (The graph and data prints over 6 pages). I have tried sending straight to printer but with similar results. Any ideas ( I use the same chart format with less rows and more columns, but will overall less points and do not h...

Should I upgrade to Outlook 2007?
I have Outlook 2002, SP2. Should I upgrade to Outlook 2007? Or should I just go to 2003? Is so where do I get the upgrade? Thanks. Best regards, JAF http://www.bscinc.net http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com http://www.discountdrivingschool.com Outlook 2007 is still in beta and not available for upgrade. No version of Outlook comes in an upgrade edition. As to whether you should or not, it depends on your needs and whether the 2007 version offers compelling features that YOU want. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact...

custom color palette does not get transferred with the workbook. Excel 2003
Scenario:We use a custom color palette with predefined company colors, and excel 2003. Default workbook has also been modified to replicate colors to new workbooks - located at %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\workbook.xls NOw the problem: When users create a workbook based in the default and email it to outside users who does not have the custom color palette defined as default, the colors change - custom palette disappears and workbook shows excel default colors,sometimes making the document very difficult to read. Also, if we email the document back to the origina...

CreateProcess on WIN XP/2003
I am using the following code in order to start an MFC Win application from another MFC win application that is currently running: int CTransfer::StartNewProcess(CString szNewProcess) { STARTUPINFO si; PROCESS_INFORMATION pi; char szProcess[128]; szNewProcess += ".exe"; strcpy(szProcess , (LPCTSTR)szNewProcess); ZeroMemory( &si, sizeof(si) ); si.cb = sizeof(si); ZeroMemory( &pi, sizeof(pi) ); // Start the child process. if( !CreateProcess( NULL, // No module name (use command line). szProcess, // Command line. N...

Exchange 2003 OWA shared calendar access
Hi We are using Exchange 2003 with both OWA and outlook 2003 clients. I have set the permissions on everyones calendar so everybody has reviewer access to each other calendars. All calendars can be opened when using Outlook 2003. However when using OWA only some calendars can be opened and others are stating "You are not authorized to view this page" when trying to open them even though the permissions have been set to access them. I am trying to access them by typing http://servername/exchange/username/calendar Any ideas would be greatfully received Colin ...

Open Publisher 2003 in Publisher 2000
I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office where we have Publisher 2000 and find I can't open it. Is there anything I can do to open it? Save as... a 2000 document at home. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Nalp30" <Nalp30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4002B348-7FF3-4CB0-A53E-1115001605CE@microsoft.com... > I've created a document in Publisher 2003 at home. I've sent it to my Office > where we have Publisher 2000 and fin...

Text after non-breaking space truncated: Publisher 2003 WinXP
Hello All, Watch out folks! If you are using non-breaking spaces in your Pub docs and edit your story in Work (Edit-->Edit Story in Word), beware that the character after the non-breaking space is truncated. Also, when you close the Word edit window and return to Pub the characters are truncated in the original Pub doc. Kinda scary. If some one has time, can you test it and see if you get the same behavior. Thanks in advance ...

External Links on open and Excel 2003
I am opening a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that contains links to external sources. This spreadsheet was created in Excel 97. When I open it, I am prompted to update or not update. I choose don't update, as I don't have the linked files. BUT, it seems that Excel tries to update anyway because it is the same result as if I hit update, and all of my values are gone. This seems to be a change from excel 97 as excel 97 left the values. Any ideas? I likely have a default setting incorrect somewhere. Thanks! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ khoff Wrote...

OUTLOOK 2003 in W7, New CONTACTS will not 'File As' properly
I upgraded to W7 and reinstalled Outlook 2003 a few weeks ago. Now I notice that new Contacts that I add do not file Lastname, First as instructed in 'View or Change Directories." Pre-existing Contacts are still ok. Any ideas about how to fix the problem, preferrably not "Get Outlook 2007?" Thanks "mcarpeneto" <mcarpeneto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD3C49EB-F629-4840-AFD9-5CCE440DE0A4@microsoft.com... >I upgraded to W7 and reinstalled Outlook 2003 a few weeks ago. Now I notice > that new Contacts that I add do not...

Problem viewing 2007pptx file in 2003 involving links
I created a presentation in ppt2007 (so it's saved as .pptx). In it, I have a link to a slide that is hidden. So, you click the link on slide 10, which takes you to slide 11 which is hidden. When you click anywhere on slide 11, it takes you back to slide 10. When you click anywhere on slide 10 (other than the link), it takes you forward to slide 13. When I save the presentation down to .ppt, or even when I package to CD, and then view it on a machine without ppt2007 installed, the link does not work. Slide 11 is still hidden when viewing it on ppt2003, but the link on slide ...

Outlook 2002 Question #2
Hi, I have configured Outlook to get email from 2 different accounts: a regular POP3 account and a Hotmail account. When I have Outlook open and a new message arrives in the POP3 account, I get a notification box and I hear a sound. However, when a new email arrives in my Hotmail Inbox, I neither get a notification nor do I hear a sound. So, how do I configure outlook to pop a notification window and play a sound when new mail arrives in my Hotmail Inbox? Thanks, Mr. Camel You can't. Login with your Passport with MSN Messenger to be notified when a new message arrives in yo...