Understanding .pst folders,and how Outlook differs from OE.

 Hi,

I'm new to MS Outlook 2003, and am finding it difficult to understand the
difference between Outlook and OE.  I just want to make sure my observations
are correct. OE stores email in multiple files with the .dbx extension,
whereas Outlook stores email in one file, the *pst file. The disadvantage
with this is with outlook you only have to backup the new files you create,
i.e. if you have a client and you sort his emails by year, you only have to
backup 2008, not 2007, 2006 etc.  Not so with Outlook...you only have ONE
file for everything..the .pst file. So you have to keep backing up the whole
..pst file.

When I ran a search for my .pst files I found
 C:\Documents and Settings\Sheana\Local
Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst as well as
Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst and Outlook3.pst.

I have to Outlook profiles, but I don't know why I have 4 pst files, which
ones belong to profile 1 or 2.

Lastly, what are "Personal Folders" and what are "Archive Folders". There's
a feature call "autoarchive" that pops up now and then...is that the same
thing, or do you just create a new folder and name it "Archive".  Thanks in
advance.
0
sheana (37)

Yes, all of your active data is in PST files, the autoarchive process moves
items past a certain age into another PST file.

"sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to MS Outlook 2003, and am finding it difficult to understand the
> difference between Outlook and OE.  I just want to make sure my
> observations
> are correct. OE stores email in multiple files with the .dbx extension,
> whereas Outlook stores email in one file, the *pst file. The disadvantage
> with this is with outlook you only have to backup the new files you
> create,
> i.e. if you have a client and you sort his emails by year, you only have
> backup 2008, not 2007, 2006 etc.  Not so with Outlook...you only have ONE
> file for everything..the .pst file. So you have to keep backing up the
> whole
> .pst file.
>
> When I ran a search for my .pst files I found
> C:\Documents and Settings\Sheana\Local
> Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst as well as
> Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst and Outlook3.pst.
>
> I have to Outlook profiles, but I don't know why I have 4 pst files, which
> ones belong to profile 1 or 2.
>
> Lastly, what are "Personal Folders" and what are "Archive Folders".
> There's
> a feature call "autoarchive" that pops up now and then...is that the same
> thing, or do you just create a new folder and name it "Archive".  Thanks
> in
> advance.

0
vince8328 (2733)
9/22/2008 2:30:07 PM
The outlook1.pst through to outlook3.pst are pst's you created
Each Profile can use a different pst
With outlook open if you examine the properties of Personal Folders, it will
reveal both the path and name

Autoarchive is a feature that removes mail from your pst file, according to
the modified date, and moves items to an Archive pst
You can modify both the archive settings and the path and or name used for
an archive file
The default name being Archive.pst, if in the path you rename this to eg
archive2008 a new archive will be created
Archives can be opened within Outlook and contents viewed just like any
other data file (pst).

Personal Folders is just a name for the outlook data file, which contains a
number of Folders, eg Inbox/Outbox etc

Do you actually need multiple Profiles?

The MS Outlook site has a free Backup addin
Since outlook requires full read/write access to its pst, if you open
outlook, do nothing with it, then close Outlook the pst will be flagged as
modified, such that backup software will then back it up.
The pst file is in reality a database.

"sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to MS Outlook 2003, and am finding it difficult to understand the
> difference between Outlook and OE.  I just want to make sure my
> observations
> are correct. OE stores email in multiple files with the .dbx extension,
> whereas Outlook stores email in one file, the *pst file. The disadvantage
> with this is with outlook you only have to backup the new files you
> create,
> i.e. if you have a client and you sort his emails by year, you only have
> backup 2008, not 2007, 2006 etc.  Not so with Outlook...you only have ONE
> file for everything..the .pst file. So you have to keep backing up the
> whole
> .pst file.
>
> When I ran a search for my .pst files I found
> C:\Documents and Settings\Sheana\Local
> Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst as well as
> Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst and Outlook3.pst.
>
> I have to Outlook profiles, but I don't know why I have 4 pst files, which
> ones belong to profile 1 or 2.
>
> Lastly, what are "Personal Folders" and what are "Archive Folders".
> There's
> a feature call "autoarchive" that pops up now and then...is that the same
> thing, or do you just create a new folder and name it "Archive".  Thanks
> in
> advance.

0
DL
9/22/2008 2:46:54 PM
Thank you for going into such detail..it was extremely helpful. I r-clicked
on "Inbox" and selected Properties. The path displayed was "\\Personal
Folders", not the complete path. Am I doing something wrong?

"DL" wrote:

> The outlook1.pst through to outlook3.pst are pst's you created
> Each Profile can use a different pst
> With outlook open if you examine the properties of Personal Folders, it will
> reveal both the path and name
>
> Autoarchive is a feature that removes mail from your pst file, according to
> the modified date, and moves items to an Archive pst
> You can modify both the archive settings and the path and or name used for
> an archive file
> The default name being Archive.pst, if in the path you rename this to eg
> archive2008 a new archive will be created
> Archives can be opened within Outlook and contents viewed just like any
> other data file (pst).
>
> Personal Folders is just a name for the outlook data file, which contains a
> number of Folders, eg Inbox/Outbox etc
>
> Do you actually need multiple Profiles?
>
> The MS Outlook site has a free Backup addin
> Since outlook requires full read/write access to its pst, if you open
> outlook, do nothing with it, then close Outlook the pst will be flagged as
> modified, such that backup software will then back it up.
> The pst file is in reality a database.
>
> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to MS Outlook 2003, and am finding it difficult to understand the
> > difference between Outlook and OE.  I just want to make sure my
> > observations
> > are correct. OE stores email in multiple files with the .dbx extension,
> > whereas Outlook stores email in one file, the *pst file. The disadvantage
> > with this is with outlook you only have to backup the new files you
> > create,
> > i.e. if you have a client and you sort his emails by year, you only have
> > backup 2008, not 2007, 2006 etc.  Not so with Outlook...you only have ONE
> > file for everything..the .pst file. So you have to keep backing up the
> > whole
> > .pst file.
> >
> > When I ran a search for my .pst files I found
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Sheana\Local
> > Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst as well as
> > Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst and Outlook3.pst.
> >
> > I have to Outlook profiles, but I don't know why I have 4 pst files, which
> > ones belong to profile 1 or 2.
> >
> > Lastly, what are "Personal Folders" and what are "Archive Folders".
> > There's
> > a feature call "autoarchive" that pops up now and then...is that the same
> > thing, or do you just create a new folder and name it "Archive".  Thanks
> > in
> > advance.

0
sheana (37)
9/22/2008 7:39:01 PM
You have to select Personal Folders, in the folder view, and properties of
that

> [...]
>> > backup 2008, not 2007, 2006 etc.  Not so with Outlook...you only have
>> > ONE
>> > file for everything..the .pst file. So you have to keep backing up the
>> > whole
>> > .pst file.
>> >
>> > When I ran a search for my .pst files I found
>> > C:\Documents and Settings\Sheana\Local
>> > Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst as well as
>> > Outlook1.pst, Outlook2.pst and Outlook3.pst.
>> >
>> > I have to Outlook profiles, but I don't know why I have 4 pst files,
>> > which
>> > ones belong to profile 1 or 2.
>> >
>> > Lastly, what are "Personal Folders" and what are "Archive Folders".
>> > There's
>> > a feature call "autoarchive" that pops up now and then...is that the
>> > same
>> > thing, or do you just create a new folder and name it "Archive".

0
DL
9/22/2008 8:25:33 PM
Thanks so much DL!

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> You have to select Personal Folders, in the folder view, and properties of
> that
>
> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for going into such detail..it was extremely helpful. I
>> r-clicked
>> on "Inbox" and selected Properties. The path displayed was "\\Personal
>> Folders", not the complete path. Am I doing something wrong?
>>

>> "DL" wrote:
>>
>>> The outlook1.pst through to outlook3.pst are pst's you created
>>> Each Profile can use a different pst
>>> With outlook open if you examine the properties of Personal Folders, it
>>> will
>>> reveal both the path and name
>>>
>>> Autoarchive is a feature that removes mail from your pst file, according
>>> the modified date, and moves items to an Archive pst
>>> You can modify both the archive settings and the path and or name used
>>> for
>>> an archive file
>>> The default name being Archive.pst, if in the path you rename this to eg
>>> archive2008 a new archive will be created
>>> Archives can be opened within Outlook and contents viewed just like any
>>> other data file (pst).
>>>
>>> Personal Folders is just a name for the outlook data file, which
>>> contains a
>>> number of Folders, eg Inbox/Outbox etc
>>>
>>> Do you actually need multiple Profiles?
>>>
>>> The MS Outlook site has a free Backup addin
>>> Since outlook requires full read/write access to its pst, if you open
>>> outlook, do nothing with it, then close Outlook the pst will be flagged
>>> as
>>> modified, such that backup software will then back it up.
>>> The pst file is in reality a database.
>>>
>>> "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
sheana (37)

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Tell the difference between upper and lower case
I have a column that has letters in it and I am using =COUNTIF(D13:D27,"M") in one cell and =COUNTIF(D13:D27,"m") in another. to keep track of what letters are put in the "D" column. But the both count the upper AND lowercase letters. Is there any way to mak excel tell the difference between upper and lowercase letters? Thanks Ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com RogerDaShrubber wrote... ... >=COUNTIF(D13:D27,"M") in one cell > >and > >=COUNTIF(D13:D27,"m") in another. > >to keep track of what lette...

Hello all, I have a rather simple to describe but difficult to solve problem. Our customers want to use our ANSI MFC program to show different languages. For example Polish. When I set the font for the different controls they behave different. For example the CEdit shows the polish characters just right but the CButton with checkbox style shows glyphs instead of the special characters. Every control that is owner draw and uses for example the DrawText() function of the device context shows the characters right. I've experimented with _UNICODE for the display part and everything I could ...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Percentage difference
Hi guys, Not exactly great at formulas, so any help would be appreciated. Excel 2207 In cell k2 and below are buying prices. In cell j2 and below are selling prices. I just need to know the 'mark-up' percentage. Also, would be a great advantage for the formula to work the other way around....showing 'loss' as well !!!!!!!!!!!! Have tried: =2*ABS(J2-K2) / (J2 + K2) and =(J2-K2)/J2 and several other variations, but to no avail. Not sure whether I am needing 'relative' or 'absolute' either!! Thanks in advance Bob Hi Bob, Am Sun, 30 Oct 2011 1...

Outlook 2003

sharing of folders

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Time differances
1 have 4 boxes start time end time lunch hours worked 09:00 17:00 1.00 7:00 09:00 17:00 0.30 7:70 (should be 7:50) (B3-A3)*24-C3 How do I make it 9.5 hours by changing forumla Thanks Trever, =(B3-A3)*24-C3*24 Format for General, Number, or anything except Date/Time. Format - Cells - Number. You'll get 7.5. If you got 7:50, as you requested, it would look like hours and minutes. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Trever B" <TreverB@discussions.microsoft.c...

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book