Unable to View Contacts in Address Book

I am having a heck of a time moving off an old machine and setting up
Outlook on a new machine.  I moved the .pst file from the old to the new
machine and it seemed to go OK ... I can see the mail folders and messages
as they were on the old machine and I can see the Contacts [although somehow
I ended up with three(!) Personal Folders ... each of which point to the
files/folders in the .pst folder I moved over].  In any event, my biggest
problem now is getting the Contacts that are included in the .pst file to
show up when I display the Address Book.  When I open the Address Book I see
no entries ... when I then click Tools > Options the only entry in the "Show
this address list first:" drop-down list is Personal Address Book ... on my
old machine this list shows Outlook Address Book and then Contacts under it.
I don't have a clue how to fix things so that the Contacts show up when I
open the Address Book.

Thanks for whatever help is forthcoming.

0
fripper (2)

What version of Outlook are you using? Most likely you just have to add the
Outlook Address Book service but the process varies a little from version to
version.

"fripper" <fripper@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>I am having a heck of a time moving off an old machine and setting up
>Outlook on a new machine.  I moved the .pst file from the old to the new
>machine and it seemed to go OK ... I can see the mail folders and messages
>as they were on the old machine and I can see the Contacts [although
>somehow I ended up with three(!) Personal Folders ... each of which point
>to the files/folders in the .pst folder I moved over].  In any event, my
>biggest problem now is getting the Contacts that are included in the .pst
>file to show up when I display the Address Book.  When I open the Address
>Book I see no entries ... when I then click Tools > Options the only entry
>in the "Show this address list first:" drop-down list is Personal Address
>Book ... on my old machine this list shows Outlook Address Book and then
>Contacts under it. I don't have a clue how to fix things so that the
>Contacts show up when I open the Address Book.

0
vince8328 (2733)
10/25/2005 6:14:07 PM
Always post your Outlook version when you have a question.
You have two separate problems. One, you have a corrupt profile. Two is
outdated references in your Outlook Address Book.
We must deal with the corrupt profile first.
It is very common to get a duplicate or "ghost" Personal Folders file if you
do not migrate your precious Outlook Data File correctly to Outlook 2003.
Once you do, your Outlook profile will be corrupt and you must start over
with a new profile.

First you create a new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829918&Product=out2003
Then you configure this profile to use your previous PST file as its default
instead of using the new one it creates:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx
Just make sure you place your previous PST file somewhere _other_ than the
default location so you don't run the risk of overwriting the PST file that
Outlook creates.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"fripper" <fripper@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>I am having a heck of a time moving off an old machine and setting up
>Outlook on a new machine.  I moved the .pst file from the old to the new
>machine and it seemed to go OK ... I can see the mail folders and messages
>as they were on the old machine and I can see the Contacts [although
>somehow I ended up with three(!) Personal Folders ... each of which point
>to the files/folders in the .pst folder I moved over].  In any event, my
>biggest problem now is getting the Contacts that are included in the .pst
>file to show up when I display the Address Book.  When I open the Address
>Book I see no entries ... when I then click Tools > Options the only entry
>in the "Show this address list first:" drop-down list is Personal Address
>Book ... on my old machine this list shows Outlook Address Book and then
>Contacts under it. I don't have a clue how to fix things so that the
>Contacts show up when I open the Address Book.
>
> Thanks for whatever help is forthcoming.

0
russval1 (2100)
10/25/2005 6:19:03 PM
I am using version 11.5608.6568 ...

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> What version of Outlook are you using? Most likely you just have to add
> the Outlook Address Book service but the process varies a little from
> version to version.
>
> "fripper" <fripper@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>I am having a heck of a time moving off an old machine and setting up
>>Outlook on a new machine.  I moved the .pst file from the old to the new
>>machine and it seemed to go OK ... I can see the mail folders and messages
>>as they were on the old machine and I can see the Contacts [although
>>somehow I ended up with three(!) Personal Folders ... each of which point
>>to the files/folders in the .pst folder I moved over].  In any event, my
>>biggest problem now is getting the Contacts that are included in the .pst
>>file to show up when I display the Address Book.  When I open the Address
>>Book I see no entries ... when I then click Tools > Options the only entry
>>in the "Show this address list first:" drop-down list is Personal Address
>>Book ... on my old machine this list shows Outlook Address Book and then
>>Contacts under it. I don't have a clue how to fix things so that the
>>Contacts show up when I open the Address Book.

0
young1 (6)
10/27/2005 7:28:45 PM
Try adding the Outlook Address Book service here: Tools menu > Email
accounts > Add a address book or directory > Click next

"fripper" <young@indiana.edu> wrote in message

> I am using version 11.5608.6568 ...

0
vince8328 (2733)

Unable to delete files...
Unable to delete files. errior msg says: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook" Restarting doesn't do a bit of good... ...

Drag view/pan
How Can I implement dragging or panning of cscrollview.. any idea would be useful. thanks yang__lee@ausi.com wrote: > How Can I implement dragging or panning of cscrollview.. > any idea would be useful. > > thanks > Call ScrollToPosition from the mouse message handler. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] ...

Change Envelope Address
Hi Exhange 5.5 Currently we using our exchange server to relay mail from our SGI server. The from address from the SGI is nobody@cdspubs.com and the Subject is generic ID. Can exchange upon relay change the envelope i.e. change the From: address to example jason@cdspubs.com and Subject: to Files Uploaded (maintaining the correct T0: and body content). The only envelopes that need to be changed are from nobody@cdspubs.com If so how would I go about it Thanks Jason 5.5 is not going to be very good at it. What might work better is an event synch on a W2K3 box in between them. Ma...

Contacts missing
Hello, I've had to delete my profile and create a new one, then import my old .pst file. All of my mail came in fine, BUT: My contacts/address books is empty. Address book is enabled; under start->account settings->address book, 'Outlook Address Book' is displayed; and I am selecting my contacts list first from the Address Book window. Also, my Outlook Address Book and Contacts selections from the tool->address book dialog window are empty. I have pored over forums dealing with contact list problems, and nothing has worked. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks...

sync view missing
When I first used sync emails, a dialog box indicated what was downloading and its size. It is no longer present and I cant find the setting to get it back. Any ideas where to find the option to reinstate the downloading emails view. Double click on Sync to get the window to appear. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55ECF0DE-6601-4F7B-9FF0-EB3DB5B4DE3A@microsoft.com... > When I first used sync emails, a dialog box indicated what was downloading > and its size. It is no longer present a...

Export Found contacts in a corporate address book
I have done a search for contacts in our corporate address book for the people in my local depot - returns about 70. I now want to export/save this find to an XLS/CSV for ease of use... I can't find how to do this anywhere, anyone able to help me or is it just something that Outlook is not designed to do...?! If you by "corporate address book" actually mean the Global Address List, then no, as this list is maintained on the server. If you think it would be handy to have ready made department lists available there as well, you should talk with your corporate mail admin. An...

CRM 3.0 Outlook Client
Hello - When trying to take my upgraded CRM client offline, it gets to where it is syncing the contacts then fails. It says in the sync error tab: An unknown error occorred while synchronizing data to Outlook Exception from HRESULT: 0xB5904005 I see this error message in the application event log: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. Exception happened Exception from HRESULT: 0xA9304005.. Error code: -1456455675. .. Stack Trace Info: at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.AddinInteropProxy.SyncToOutlookClass.Down...

Tasks do not display in Category View
In Outlook 2003, my tasks are not displaying in Category View. Categories have been created for each task and tasks appear in all other views (simple list, detail list, etc.) but not in Category view. I never had a problem with this in v. 2002. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Try starting Outlook with the resetview switch in the command line. "Michael" <ibvalentine@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9tVmg.20619$uy3.18207@tornado.socal.rr.com... > In Outlook 2003, my tasks are not displaying in Category View. Categories > have been created for each task and...

Why do I lose contacts?
I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:12:01 -0800, Davis Straub wrote: > I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? > > Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? Not a clue. I ran Windows Live Mail without signing in to Windows Live Services for three, or four days. My Contacts list never changed, or disappeared during that time. It is, however, different than the Contacts list I normally see ...

Load the address from the lookup table to corresponding contact fi
Is it possible to create a custom mapping / loading between the contact and account entities in such a way that when selected the existing account value from the lookup table of account on the contact page, the existing address fields will be populated into corresponding contact fields? Hi Tom, Yes, it is possible with the help of little coding. Basically you need to add JScript code in onChange event of the Account lookup on Contact entity form. That code will be calling the CRM webservice and fetching the account's address fields. Following posts will explain you a little about ...

viewing downloaded transactions in Money 2004 Deluxe?
I'm using Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe with Windows XP SP2 Home edition. After downloading transactions from my bank, and importing the file into Money, Money shows the Statements to Read page with an arrow next to a link to the account. The link takes me to the account view, but no new transactions are displayed. (the bank web site shows several). Both Money and Quicken download formats were tried. I've been fiddling with Tools>Options without success. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance. ..............Dave In microsoft.public.money, Dave K wrote: >I'm ...

Viewing of HTML Email Content w/ Embedded Images
Currently, we are receiving email feed into our application via POP3. What we would like to do is to view (and possibly work with) HTML emails, including those with embedded images, without having to save anything to disk, or any other "messy" operations. Reason being that some of our clients have restrictive disk access policies. Now from my understanding of HTML email, embedded images are actually attached files that are then referenced by a link in the email. To view in a HTML viewer, the image needs to be saved to disk somewhere. Is this correct, or can it be...

viewing .jpg attacments
I recently moved from Outlook Express to Outlook XP (2002) and am fairly happy with it except for one thing...in Outlook Express, it would automatically display .jpg and other graphic file types but with Outlook I have to manually open or save each one to see what it is - quite a pain when someone sends me 15 pictures! <G> Is there any way around this or am I stuck with it? Outlook doesn't support inline viewing unless they are sent embedded in HTML - save the pics to your hard drive then view them or use VBA: http://blogs.officezealot.com/legault/archives/000254.html --...

Sorting Created Customized Fields in My Tasks view
This question may/may not have been answered ad-nauseum already, but I did not find it immediately when I did a search so I apologize in advance. If we have created customized fields for our My Task view, is there any way to make those fields sortable at all? I did a few mock tests of adding a new customized field and customized view, but did not see where I could make the desired customized field sortable like they are for the default/existing enterprise fields out of the box. Thanks....any help on this is greatly appreciated. ...

Preview Pane From and To full email addresses
Does anyone make an Add-In that will show full addresses in the Outlook 2002 Preview Pane? i.e. "Friendly Name [email@address.com]" as can be seen in the "From" field in message view. ...

Categorizing Contacts in a Distribution List
We are a small business in the midst of switching over to Outlook 2003 from Outlook Express (we have Windows 7). We have several Distribution Lists already setup which we have transferred to Outlook 2003. Based on advice I have seen already in this and other forums, I have decided that we need to switch from using Distribution Lists to using Categories. Is there a simple way to categorize all of the contacts in a distribution list at once rather than having to categorize each contact individually? Distribution Lists do not contain Contacts. Clarify what you want to do. Are y...

viewing picture attachments
Is there a way to "autoview" picture attachments in an email message? In Outlook Express, when you open an email, it shows any jpg attachments right in the email, but in Outlook you have to open them as they just show up as icons. Is there someway to make Outlook similar to OE in this regard? Thanks, Carl No, outlook doesn't support inline viewing. See http://blogs.officezealot.com/legault/archive/2004/01/29/222.aspx for a workaround. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart ...

find outlook address books
I'm having some problems with Outlook e-mail. 1.) Frequently used addresses don't always stay available in the drop-down menu. Why? 2.) Frequently used addresses are not saved in Contacts, even though there is an entry for the individual. Why? Is there anyway to set Outlooks to save addresses I enter in the "To" field? 3.) I need to relsove incomplete contact information (missing e-amil addresses) for Contacts. How do I look at all of my various address books and consolidate this information? You need to provide your version of Outlook and whether or not the Outloo...

Old PC is dead, can Outlook contacts be imported?
My old PC fried, I have been able to get my emails in this new Windows mail on another PC, but is there a way to pull old emails and contacts off of a server or something (I know what my Comcast server names are for incoming and outgoing). I don't know if Comcast stores that stuff on a server if I used Outlook. Just to make sure you are talking about contact and emails in Outlook. If it is then you need to get the pst files off of your old computer and have the same version of Outlook installed on your new computer and then put the saved pst files into Outlook to their...

Where is the "word options" dialog box in draft view?
I'm taking a class to learn Word 2007. I'm learning to work with different styles right now and I need to switch to draft view and open the word options dialog box to see a display of all the document's styles on the screen. I have it on draft view but I can't remember where the word options dialog box is. Can anyone please help and remind me where it's at? On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:26:01 -0800, tammysmi <tammysmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm taking a class to learn Word 2007. I'm learning to work with different >styles right now an...

Creating a global address distribution list
Hi. I would like to create a distribution list of all of the employees in our global address list. For some reason I dont have rights....anytime I attempt to create a new distribution list in Outlook within the GAL I rec'v a message that says "You cannot create entries in this address book." I have successfully created a GAL distribution list before. However, I had to make some changes to the Windows install and had to re-install Exchange, re-do the DB, and such. I think the issue is rights. I have gone into the system manager and given myself rights but I still cannot ...

Unable to reply or forward
We a small community college running Exchange Server 2000 on a Windows 2000 Server box. We recently converted all of our employees to Outlook from a variety of other mail clients. In Outlook, we set everyone up with Exchange accounts rather than POP3 and set their default delivery location to the Mailbox on the server rather than a .pst on the local drive. Since then, I have 3 users that are unable to reply or forward email. Then can send email just fine. However, when they try to reply or forward and hit the Send button, they get the following message: "You do not have sufficient...

viewing mailbox contents
Hi there. Is there any way from the Exchange server to view the contents of a given mailbox? I have a user with 2000 mails that I actually just need to delete. I know I could install Outlook on some workstation and access the mailbox from it but is there an easier way? It would be great if I could see the emails somehow, but just being able to "reset" or delete all mails in the inbox would help me too. If I removed the mailbox from the user in AD and then re-added it a few minutes later, would that effectively give me a pristine mailbox with zero mails?` Thanks in advance I...

Importing IM addresses from Excel
Hello - I am using Outlook & Excel 2003 version for both. I want to import from Excel into Contacts only two columns into Outlook - Full Name and IM address. I tried and only the full name came over - its like the IM address disappeared. Then I tried name, email address and IM - only the name and email address appear - what did I do wrong? The Excel file is saved as a ".csv" file. Thanks, Anna Marie The IM field is not included in the fields Outlook exports so it can't be imported. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tip...

Custom Entity
Hello everything, I'm working on some custom entities for CRM 3.0 to support a simple authorization system, and want to know if the following is possible.... I have two custom entities, For the sake of simplicity let's call them AccountChildCustomEntity and CustomEntityContact. an AccountChildCustomEntity is obviously a child of a CRM Account. a CustomEntityContact is a child of a AccountChildCustomEntity, and it's function is to map a single CRM Contact to it's parent (the AccountChildCustomEntity). eg: CRM Account - AccountChildCustomEntity ...