Unable to use out look with Cached Exchange Mode enabled

A user received a brand new PC with a fresh rebuild of win XP.

Now her outlook won't log in when "Cached Exchange Mode" is enabled.

The first time I started her outlook it wouldnt go in so I went to
control panel, then mail, went to  her profile and unclicked "Use
Cached Exchange Mode".

This seems to solve the problem however were supposed to enable that
feature.

Anyone has any ideas why "Cached Exchange Mode" doesn't work for this
user?

Her PC is brand new and only has about a week's worth of e-mails.

Does she have enough rights to save the oft file?

Maybe her oft file is corrupt.
You may want to close outlook.
Search her machine for all oft files (*.oft) Search hidden files.
Delete all that you find.
Open outlook again and see if it will build a fresh oft file.

Nikki Peterson

Nikki <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does she have enough rights to save the oft file?

I don't see why you think that template files (.oft) have anything to do
with it.  Cached Exchange mode uses OSTs.  However, investigating
permissions is what I'd do as well.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/23/2006 1:03:28 PM
Yes, OST. Sorry, I am fighting a sinus infection and I need to be
more careful.

Nikki

> Nikki <SkippyLetterman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does she have enough rights to save the oft file?
>
> I don't see why you think that template files (.oft) have anything to do
> with it.  Cached Exchange mode uses OSTs.  However, investigating
> permissions is what I'd do as well.
> --
> Brian Tillman

I dont know why but I posted this message on google newsgroups but I'm
unable to view any replies.

I'm accessing the newsgroup from verizon and I can see all replies without a
problem.  Go figure.

Anyways,  now we're going somewhere.

Anyone knows how to create an OST file?

And what is the usual place in a default isntallation of outlook that the
OST file should be placed?

Is it completely safe for me to delete the OST file?  What info is contained
in that file?

Thanks in advance for all your replies!!!!!!!

I will try finding the OST file tomorrow.

ngjunkie0011 <ngjunkie0011@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyone knows how to create an OST file?

Outlook will automatically create an OST if you start it with an Exchange
account configured in Cached Exchange mode or with Offline Folders enabled.

> And what is the usual place in a default isntallation of outlook that
> the OST file should be placed?

By default, the OST will be created in the same directory as the offline
address book files,
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook but that can
be changed.

> Is it completely safe for me to delete the OST file?  What info is
> contained in that file?

With Outlook closed, it is safe to delete.  It will be recreated when
Outlook runs again.  The OST contains a copy of the Exchange mailbox as it
existed when Outlook was most recently connected.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/25/2006 12:14:32 PM
Thank you all for your replies!!!  I fixed it!!!

As everyone suspected, it had to do with the OST.

The problem is the configuration for the "offline folders" pointed to a
mapped drive that the user no longer had access to.  A fresh copy of the OS
was installed on the user's PC and with it went the configuration for the
mapped drive.

I pointed the offline folder to the PATH described in the message below and
now it works like a charm!!!!!

> ngjunkie0011 <ngjunkie0011@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone knows how to create an OST file?
>
> Outlook will automatically create an OST if you start it with an Exchange
> account configured in Cached Exchange mode or with Offline Folders
enabled.

> > And what is the usual place in a default isntallation of outlook that
> > the OST file should be placed?
>
> By default, the OST will be created in the same directory as the offline
> address book files,
> %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook but that
can
> be changed.
>
> > Is it completely safe for me to delete the OST file?  What info is
> > contained in that file?
>
> With Outlook closed, it is safe to delete.  It will be recreated when
> Outlook runs again.  The OST contains a copy of the Exchange mailbox as it
> existed when Outlook was most recently connected.
> --
> Brian Tillman

Frx Reports to be use on other client machines without installing
Hi, I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want to run these reports on other clients machine without installing the Frx. Can u please tell me the correct way. Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "Dexdev" wrote: > Hi, > > I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance > sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want t...

Looking for driver that supports batch updates that don't quit upon failure
All, I need a jdbc sql server driver (for microsoft sql 2005) that support batch updates AND supports attempting to execute each command in the batch even if a previous command in the batch fails. In other words, if I attempt 100 items in the batch, I want 100 return codes (1 for each command). Drivers appear to be broken into two camps: those that return a list of error codes whose length is as long as those items in the batch that were successfully completed - and those that return a list of error codes whose length is as long as the original batch size. I'm looking for t...

find record using combo box
I want to use combo box to locate a name. After update, the combo box shows the name but the form does not move to the record of combobox. Here is my code: Private Sub cboLook_AfterUpdate() Dim rs As DAO.Recordset 'Search in the clone set. Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone rs.FindFirst "[name]= """ & Me.cboLook & """" 'Display the found record in the form. Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark frmFlexSubform.SetFocus Set rs = Nothing End Sub You have a field named Name? Access ...

use screen captures to show icons etc
I can't find the send button in outlook, help has been useless, referring only to the button, not showing where it is. I would like help to use screen captures to show graphically the information they refer to. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

Lost message served up by exchange
Hi all, Here is an interesting one for you. We are running an Exchange 2003 (SBS) server with a user connecting to it with Outlook 2003. The user said that a mail alert was shown for an email that had been delivered. However when going to the inbox the message could not be found. We have done a search through all his folders to see if we could find the message but to no avail. Upon checking the exchange 2003 server's message tracking centre, it had recorded that a message had been sent to the user and had been delivered to their local store. Thus the email has been lost. Could anyon...

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

Exchange System Object Container
Hi, My Exchange System Object Container has been accidently moved to a different OU in the AD. Since then there were other changes to Exchange Public Folders new Stores etc which has rcreated a new Exchange System Object Container in the. Is this going to cause any problem? thanks Simon Simon: I have never seen this happen before, but I'll bet it is NOT GOOD. :-) Exchange can sometimes be really picky on the location of objects in Active Directory (such as the Exchange Domain Servers and Exchange Enterprise Servers groups MUST be in the CN=Users container!!!!) ...

Exchange Calendar update tool = unable to find mailbox timezone:Error 0x80004005
When i run the exchange calendar update tool i rececive the following message "Unable find mailbox timezone:Error 0x80004005". I have given my user account full permissions to each exchange store. What else could be causing this problem? alos how do i grant exchange view only admin, exchange full admin, and send as rights to my user account manullay. This script is not working for me? thanks "Jef A" <jef.aldrich@tatumllc.com> wrote in message news:%23AssN4YYHHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > When i run the exchange calendar update tool i rececive the follow...

GPIO read/write on intel using DDK example : Genport
Hi All, I would like to control one of the 14 GPIO provided on the Poulsbo UW15w. and I would like to use the driver (Genport) provided in DDK. Do you know if this would work to set and clear GPIO. How do I get the Address of the Port i want to set. (gpdwrite . ...) is it set in the .inf Thanks regards Norrih On Feb 16, 12:41=A0am, Norrih <Nor...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I would like to control one of the 14 GPIO provided on the Poulsbo UW15w. > and I would like to use the driver (Genport) provided in DDK. > > Do you...

Exchange 5.5 & W2k SP4 #2
Hi, Can anybody tell me if there are known problems between Exchange 5.5 sp4 and Windows2000 server sp4. thnx Michiel Runs just fine here. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821543 MightyM wrote: > Hi, > > Can anybody tell me if there are known problems between Exchange 5.5 sp4 > and Windows2000 server sp4. > > thnx > > Michiel -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com ...

Error message when trying to use my access add-in with VS2008
I created a Access 2007 add-in with VS2008 C# and I'm trying to debug my access form that sends text to a textbox to be displayed after I click on a button. I can step into 'FillTextButton_Click()' in my C# app that gets called when I click on the access form button. So I have my button and textbox connected to Access2007 with the Access onLoad() event. Everything seems to be connected ok. But as soon as I finish running through the 'FillTextButton_Click()' I get a error message saying "The expression On Click u=you entered as the event property se...

Migration Exchange
Hello. I am getting ready to migrate another domain into my domain. They have exchange and so do I (2003). They want to be able to continue receiving emails from their old email addresses and their account on my server will be their new primary eamil address. My question is this, if I add their domain names (3 all together) into my exchange server, will it populate to all of our current staff as well. I thought about using their old email addressess as an alias, but I am not clear on how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Kathy would you be able to create Receiptant Polic...

SelfSSL for Exchange 2003 HTTP/RPC
Will using the SELFSSL utility still allow me to use Exchange 2003 RPC /HTTP? I just want to make sure that my users are not prompted to accept a certificate when they fire up their Outlook 2003 form afar - its okay to be prompted for OWA. Server certs are quite cheap now... as little as $20. Why not get one from a trusted CA? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "<<JP<<" <jp@msn.com> wrote in message news:ugM9f43KGHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Will using the SELFSSL util...

Exchange outbound mail
Hi Exchange Users, i'm new to exchange and wondering if you can help. MS Exchange is working fine but there is a minor thing with the outgoing side if things. Can i configure Exchange to sent mail to my Domain Providers SMTP Server ? (belive you can since it could be done in Exchange Server 5.5) I use POP Beamer to download from my Domain Providers POP3 server and forwards to the Exchange Server. specify your Domain Provider's SMTP server as a smart host "Steven Jones" <steven45@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:Xns9595AB1002D8Csteven45ntlworldcom@194.168.222...

error with exchange 2003
since last week, the application log is full of following message: the service threw an unexpected exception which was caught at f:\titanium\src\lra\abv_dg\serveragent.cpp(4511) this is domain controller (win 2003 server) and exchange server (exchange 2003. the network is running with 8 local computers. i could not find any help related to this error message and i need some help with this issue. thanks Any help from http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=service%20threw%20an%20unexpected%20exception%20which%20was%20caught&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=microsoft.publi...

Exchange Certificate HowTo
I am looking for a howto on implementing Verisign Certificates into the Exchange environment. Currently all of our users have Digital ID's from Verisign to encrypt e-mail messages. We attempted to install these certificates into Outlook 2003 with no luck. When sending to user while attempting to encrypt it says that we are unable to send encrypted mail to this user even though we have his/her digital ID locally. My question involves how to get the server to recognize the certificates or how to enable exchange to see the certificates. We are using WIn2003 SBS with Exchange 2003 and on the c...

Exchange 2003 SMTP log monitor?
Is there a simple and free tool to watch the contents of the SMTP virtual servers log in real time much like the Unix tail command? I have tried some free tail implementations and none of them seem to be able to update the screen as events are written to the file. I am logging in W3C Extended format if that helps. ___________________________________________ Remove dots before at to reply direct - Jon ...

load generator against exchange 2007 virtual instance in ESX
Anyone tried Load Generator against Exchange 2007 in vmware esx environment? I understand that this isn't supported by Microsoft, but it's very important for us. In our case (similar hardware, dedicated raids for database etc), physical instance OUTPERFOMS virtual instance dramatically... *** Physical instance results**** Action Profile: MMB3 Length of a 'simulation day': 1 hour length of the simulation: 1 hour Client type: Outlook 2003 Cached mode User Count: 300 TaskName Count AverageLatency 95th percentile Latency BrowseCalendar 30874 60 256 CreateContact 1040...

still can't use Entourage, PowerPoint, Excel
I posted here several weeks ago and this problem couldn't be resolved then -- not entirely, anyway. I'm trying again because I haven't been able to find anything more anywhere else, and there WAS one thing I did right that I would like to duplicate -- plus, I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint when this problem started. When it started, I'm fairly certain, was when I downloaded the last Software Update of Office for Mac. This had to have been right around April 18, because I remember having downloaded the update late at night while I was working on something else, then rather th...

unable to read file #2
For some reason all of a sudden I am trying to open a Workbook and I am getting an "unable to read file". This is a workbook that I have opened before. It is a workbook that I "Save AS" and change the name with new data on a weekly basis so I have data for every week since april. I can open every week but for some reason can not open this one. Any suggestions as to what I can do? thanks Try 'www.fdrlab.com' (http://www.fdrlab.com/repair.html) They can recover corrupt workbooks with all contained information including comments, VBA, charts, links etc. 35$ ...

Exchange 2003 32k rule limit still??
Does Exchange 2003 still have the 32k limit on the size of server based rules, and if so is there a hack to get around this?? TIA, Kevin Kevin - This limitation remains in Exchange 2003 and I'm not aware of any way to get around it. You can maximize the number of rules you can use by making the rules small and removing extraneous text (short rule names, etc). -- Evan Dodds Microsoft Exchange Support ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for new...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Outlook 2007 keeps starting in Offline mode
I have a machine that has Office 2007 and I just installed Windows 7 on the same system. Now, whenever I start Outlook, it defaults to offline mode. Every discussion I can find on this subject deals with the emails having been setup in Exchange mode, but the emails are all using POP3. I can manually turn on online mode, but after restarting Outlook - it always begins in offline. I need Outlook to start in online. Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol....

I am looking for a network based CRM program for the Mac
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3175770517_552777 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Hi, Can anyone supply me with more info on a CRM program for the Mac, that can work on a network? Unfortunately CRM4Mac doesn�t support Entourage as well. Many thanks, JC --B_3175770517_552777 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>I am loo...

Imported messages from POP3 unable to read mail from initial downl
I had mail on a POP3 server and set up an account on Outlook 2003. I hit send/receive and it began to download 1600+ messages. When it finished, none of the emails were visible. Since then, if I get one or two at a time, I am able to read them without any trouble--but cannot find these 1600 messages ANYWHERE. When I logged back in to my POP3 account without using Outlook, it showed I had 0 messages. This is causing me tremendous stress, I had a LOT of business contacts in these emails. I just can't figure out why they evaporated! Anyone have any ideas? I would be VERY appreciativ...