Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
steve-sue (4)

I also had this issue in Outlook 2003, but also in indows Live Messenger and
Internet Explorer 7.

I spend hours and hours searching the internet and could not find the
solution. The only possible solution you find on almost all forums (but does
not help in most cases is to repair the protected storage system provided
registry key: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684.

So, here is a solution that is not even in the Microsoft knowledge base. It
helped me and hopefully many others. It was found because I new exactly when
it started to happen: after uninstalling a software program. The uninstall
procedure removed to many registry keys...

HERE WE GO...

Important: this solution contains information about how to modify the
registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure
that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. View the
following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information about how
to back up, restore, and modify the registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Follow the next steps to solve this issue:

1. Close all running programs
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
6. Enter "AppData" as a name
7. Double click the new entry
8. Enter "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" in the value data field.
9. Close the registry editor

It is possible that additional registry keys are missing. Below is a list of
all keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders". There are different
ways to add these keys again:
* Use the instructions provided on
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm
* Add them manually by following the steps above
* Export the keys from a computer/user on which the issue does not occur,
and then importing them again.

To export and import:
1. Logon to Windows with a user account for which the issue does not occur
(this may also be a different workstation).
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type "Regedit" and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders
5. Right click the "User Shell Folders" key on the left and choose "Export".
Specify a name and location of for the export file and click [Save].
6. Close the registry editor
7. Logon to Windows with the user account that experiences this issue
8. Double click on the exported registry key you created in step 5.
9. Click [Yes] when asked if you are sure to add the information, then click
[OK] for the "successfully imported" message.

Registry keys that should exist in the "User Shell Folders" key.
The list below has the format "Key Name - Value Data". The type for all keys
is "Expandable String Value" (REG_EXPAND_SZ).

* AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
* Cache - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* Cookies - %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
* Desktop - %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
* Favorites - %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
* History - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
* Local AppData - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
* Local Settings - %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
* My Pictures - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
* NetHood - %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
* Personal - %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\
* PrintHood - %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
* Programs - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
* SendTo - %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
* Start Menu - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
* Startup - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
* Templates - %USERPROFILE%\Templates

MORE INFORMATION
The "User Shell Folder" is a subkey of the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
registry. Entries in this subkey can also appear in the "Shell Folders"
subkey and in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The entries that
appear in user User Shell Folders take precedence over those in Shell
Folders. The entries that appear in HKEY_CURRENT_USER take precedence over
those in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
--
Thanks
JeePee

"Steve Nutgrass" wrote:

> I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
> everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
> going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
> and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
> it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
> still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
> Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
JeePee (6)
5/23/2007 10:28:01 PM

"Steve Nutgrass" wrote:

> I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003.  I tried
> everything I can think of.  I tried editing the registry.  I use XP.  I try
> going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there
> and....nothing worked there.  I uninstalled Office the reinstalled
> it.....nothing!  I even went as far as unistalling my internet software,
> still...nothing!  Someone told me that XP will not save passwords.  My
> Outlook express works fine.  Someone HELP!

0
JeePee (6)

Max number of Rules in Outlook
Hi everyone: Just a simple question that may be a common curiosity: does anyone know what is the max number of rules I can set up in Outlook? I have reached about 70 rules and the I get the message that there is no further space on the server. Maybe it is just a matter of room and the number it is not a limitation? Thanks for answering. Cheers That's it indeed; you can only store up to 32KB of e-mail rules. Disabled rules don't count but you're properly better of combining some rules or see if they are still needed. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the mo...

Cannot save my form
Hi.Can you please help me with my problem.I create my database last week.At first,the database worked smoothly.But,when I when I reopen my database,my last forms was dissapeared.Can you help me to solve my problem?Any post will help.Thank you. When you open the database do you see the database window? If not press the F11 key. Next go to Forms on the objects bar. Do you see vertical or horizontal scroll bars? If so the new forms might just be a little off screen and using the scroll bars should find them. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bont...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Help for time saving!
Hi I have got created an Excel Script that creates a Word Document. A bill. But for only 8 bill entries the script needs to much time. For this entries it works about 30 secounds. If you want to help me look at this page: www.kluesener.info/excel.html And if you find anything that saves time please tell me how I can do it better. Sorry for my bad english Many Thanks Jens ...

Unable to llaunch FRx
Something on our server hosed FRx between yesterday and today. When users try to launch FRx Report designer from the Start menu, the FRx splash screen flashes for a second then disappears. There is no error message and no entry in the SQL Error logs or the NT event logs. I can open Report Launcher, but only the FW (Fabricam) and FWC (Fabricam Canada) reports show up. This was working fine yesterday. I reran the FRx index scripts but that did not resolve it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. -- Jim Maybe the program is corrupted...perhaps a reinstall. But bac...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Crash on 'Send"

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Reminders in Outlook