Unable to create email rules! Any suggestions...??

Hi, I would like to create a rule for Outlook 2003 email, but I find no
"rules and alerts" option under the "Tools" menu.  It is entirely absent, not
grayed out.

(When I've looked up how to create a rule, it states you click on "rules and
alerts" under "Tools")

Would appreciate suggestions.
0
Gravity (5)

Do you have a mail account installed?  Are you in the in-box when you look
for this option?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Gravity asked:

| Hi, I would like to create a rule for Outlook 2003 email, but I find
| no "rules and alerts" option under the "Tools" menu.  It is entirely
| absent, not grayed out.
|
| (When I've looked up how to create a rule, it states you click on
| "rules and alerts" under "Tools")
|
| Would appreciate suggestions.

0
millys7517 (85)
2/17/2006 2:19:47 AM
"Gravity" <Gravity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I would like to create a rule for Outlook 2003 email, but I find no
> "rules and alerts" option under the "Tools" menu.  It is entirely absent,
> not
> grayed out.
>
> (When I've looked up how to create a rule, it states you click on "rules
> and
> alerts" under "Tools")
>
> Would appreciate suggestions.

Because they are *e-mail* rules, you need to have an *e-mail* folder
selected for the Rules menu item to appear.  By selecting an e-mail type
folder, Outlook knows under which message store you want to define the
rules.

Post replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.

I'm not sure I was in the in-box--that could have been the problem.  I'll try
it tomorrow when I'll have access to that computer.  Thanks in advance.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> Do you have a mail account installed?  Are you in the in-box when you look
> for this option?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>

> After furious head scratching, Gravity asked:
>
> | Hi, I would like to create a rule for Outlook 2003 email, but I find
> | no "rules and alerts" option under the "Tools" menu.  It is entirely
> | absent, not grayed out.
> |
> | (When I've looked up how to create a rule, it states you click on
> | "rules and alerts" under "Tools")
> |
> | Would appreciate suggestions.

0
Gravity (5)
2/17/2006 4:04:28 AM
Thanks--I thought Outlook would 'know' it was an email rule because the Mail
pane was selected.  What I want to do is de-spam my office mailbox by
creating a rule such that messages with specific language in the "To:" or
"Cc:" fields is deleted or put in jukmail (I don't need to block the sender
in this case).  This is easy to do with Hotmail.  Easy in Outlook too?

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Gravity" <Gravity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I would like to create a rule for Outlook 2003 email, but I find no
> > "rules and alerts" option under the "Tools" menu.  It is entirely absent,
> > not
> > grayed out.
> >
> > (When I've looked up how to create a rule, it states you click on "rules
> > and
> > alerts" under "Tools")
> >
> > Would appreciate suggestions.
>

> Because they are *e-mail* rules, you need to have an *e-mail* folder
> selected for the Rules menu item to appear.  By selecting an e-mail type
> folder, Outlook knows under which message store you want to define the
> rules.

> Post replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.
> For e-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#VN" to Subject.

Gravity (5)
2/17/2006 4:10:27 AM
> Thanks--I thought Outlook would 'know' it was an email rule because the
> Mail
> pane was selected.  What I want to do is de-spam my office mailbox by
> creating a rule such that messages with specific language in the "To:" or
> "Cc:" fields is deleted or put in jukmail (I don't need to block the
> sender
> in this case).  This is easy to do with Hotmail.  Easy in Outlook too?

So what would be the "Mail" pane?  There is the tree pane, item list pane,
and preview pane.  The "mail" pane, as you call it could be listing
contacts, journal entries, tasks, or calendars depending on which folder you
have selected.

Use rules (on inbound mails) to look at the content of the To/Cc headers.  I
don't know what you mean by "with specific language".  Do you mean that
there are particular words or phrases, or that a specific character set was
used?  Outlook's rules aren't that potent.  The server-side rules in my
Hotmail account are even less capable than those in Outlook.

Sorry to be a "pane"...Outlook help refers to clicking on 'mail' in the
'navigation pane'.  I sit corrected.  By "specific language", I just mean a
few variants of an email address that has been the source of the spam.  It
seems a bunch of my colleagues somehow made it onto a mailing list
advertising a convention.  Trouble is, every response to the oranization ends
up being sent to every individual on the list.  This has generated hundreds
of emails by folks requesting said mailings to cease and desist, EACH of
which was again sent to everyone on the list!

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Gravity" <Gravity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks--I thought Outlook would 'know' it was an email rule because the
> > Mail
> > pane was selected.  What I want to do is de-spam my office mailbox by
> > creating a rule such that messages with specific language in the "To:" or
> > "Cc:" fields is deleted or put in jukmail (I don't need to block the
> > sender
> > in this case).  This is easy to do with Hotmail.  Easy in Outlook too?
>

> So what would be the "Mail" pane?  There is the tree pane, item list pane,
> and preview pane.  The "mail" pane, as you call it could be listing
> contacts, journal entries, tasks, or calendars depending on which folder you
> have selected.
>
> Use rules (on inbound mails) to look at the content of the To/Cc headers.  I
> don't know what you mean by "with specific language".  Do you mean that
> there are particular words or phrases, or that a specific character set was
> used?  Outlook's rules aren't that potent.  The server-side rules in my
> Hotmail account are even less capable than those in Outlook.

0
Gravity (5)
2/17/2006 5:20:29 AM
> Sorry to be a "pane"...Outlook help refers to clicking on 'mail' in the
> 'navigation pane'.  I sit corrected.  By "specific language", I just mean
> few variants of an email address that has been the source of the spam.  It
> seems a bunch of my colleagues somehow made it onto a mailing list
> advertising a convention.  Trouble is, every response to the oranization
> ends
> up being sent to every individual on the list.  This has generated
> hundreds
> of emails by folks requesting said mailings to cease and desist, EACH of
> which was again sent to everyone on the list!

You could use the Block Sender or Junk Sender blocklist in Outlook if the
number of e-mail address is small and don't change.  Otherwise, define a
rule to look for the e-mail addresses (or just the domain if it doesn't
block anyone but this mailing list) to move or delete those e-mails.

"Vanguard" wrote:

> "Gravity" <Gravity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry to be a "pane"...Outlook help refers to clicking on 'mail' in the
> > 'navigation pane'.  I sit corrected.  By "specific language", I just mean
> > few variants of an email address that has been the source of the spam.  It
> > seems a bunch of my colleagues somehow made it onto a mailing list
> > advertising a convention.  Trouble is, every response to the oranization
> > ends
> > up being sent to every individual on the list.  This has generated
> > hundreds
> > of emails by folks requesting said mailings to cease and desist, EACH of
> > which was again sent to everyone on the list!
>

> You could use the Block Sender or Junk Sender blocklist in Outlook if the
> number of e-mail address is small and don't change.  Otherwise, define a
> rule to look for the e-mail addresses (or just the domain if it doesn't
> block anyone but this mailing list) to move or delete those e-mails.

> Post replies to the newsgroup.  Share with others.
> For e-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#VN" to Subject.

Can't easily block senders as there are hundreds of different ones, but can
block 2 or 3 variants of the organization address in the "To:" line (The
addressee--I think you're basically suggesting this).  Strategy worked fine
for my Hotmail account on another computer, which had been similarly plagued.
 Thanks again.

0
Gravity (5)

Create and save embedded bitmap image
I'm trying to add a control on to a form to take a person's signature. I'm not using a tablet pc, just a usb tablet and pen. I would like to load the form with a blank bitmap or jpeg image in the control, get the signature and then save the image on close as an external file - if that's really not possible then we could save it as an OLE object or image field in the record. Ideally I would just name the file with the unique Id of the record so that it can be fetched back when needed. I've tried adding an unbound OLE paint control, but can't seem to save th...

failed to create empty dodument
Dear Sirs, I have got a user friendly textbook "LearnVisual C++ 6.0 now"with two CD which is written by Chuck Sphar - former officer i Microsoft Corporation. My OS is Windows '98. The name of my project is 'mdrv'. When I started Debug option 'GO' for 'mdrw.exe' it was appeared: Loaded 'C:\Windows\System\MSVCRT.DLL', no matching symbolic information found -1. Loaded 'C:\Windows\System\USER32.DLL', 1; LOADED 'C:\Windows\System\GDI32.DLL',1; Loaded 'C:\Windows\System\Kernel32.DLL', 1; Loaded 'C:\Windows\System\MSVCRTD...

email server
HI where do I find the info regarding my server so that I can download my new email address Ok Jasmin - Two mail "protocols" (methods) are required for sending and receiving E-mail. To send mail you use SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol and to send POP (POP3) (Point of presence or Post office protocol). These "protocols" are run, operated, provided , etc. through servers provided by your Internet service provider. As an example - if you use Earthlink the SMTP setting would be something like mail.earthlink.net or smtp.earthlink.net. The POP would be pop.earthlin...

How do I make it stop asking "This file was created..."
Hello all, I have a situation where the client is using Office 97. One of our team used 2000 or later to work on the application. I have 97 loaded at home. Every time I save it it warns about the features that may be lost. How do I save it so that when we deliver it it does not continually trouble the client with this message? Thank You, -plh -- I keep hitting "Esc" -- but I'm still here! Don't save a 97. Just SAVE -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "plh" <plh_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:e2de7l02lhk@drn.newsguy.com....

English Email Headers in german Outlook Web Access 2003
Good day, has anybody an idea how to set english email headers in a german outlook web access (exchange 2003, windows 2003)? I must have RE: and FW: in my answer and forward emails instead of AW: and WG:. By now OWA detects the regional settings of the client (german) and offers the german interface including the german email headers. I still would like OWA to detect the regional settings but to use the english email headers in answers and forwardings. Any suggestions? Joerg ...

erasing email that is still on ISP.
Outlook Express used to signal my ISP that I had successfully acquired my emails so that the ISP could delete them. I am getting my emails but they are not being deleted from my ISP automatically. How do I accomplish this? Also new emails do not show up if I have that folder accessed. I have to click on INBOX or DELETED and then click back so that I can see the new emails. How do I get them to show up without going thru these gyrations. -- Randy Tools, Accounts, highlight the account, Properties, Advanced tab, uncheck Leave a copy... Try hitting F5. -- Ron Sommer M...

How to create a share and set the NTFS rights *in a remote computer*?
Hi everybody, I would like to create a function in vbs like this : --------------------------------------- createFolder(path, rights, share, shareName) where : * "path" is a local path (ok) or a UNC path like \\PC\share (here is the problem) * "right" is a string which sets the NTFS rights * "share" is boolean (True or False). If it is True the folder is shared, if not the folder is not shared. * "shareName" is the name of the share (if the folder is shared) --------------------------------------- My problem is when the ...

Validating Email

CRM Mobile client
Folks We have installed the CRM Mobile Express client and everything works well, except the fact that we can not edit or create cases, everything else works!!!! Please help! Regards Gavin Gavin, In CRM, go to SETTINGS (bottom left corner) and then in the Nav Bar (top left) click on Mobile Configuration. From there you can add entities and make them editable. Good luck "Gavin Urtel" wrote: > Folks > > We have installed the CRM Mobile Express client and everything works well, > except the fact that we can not edit or create cases, everything else > work...

Unable to launch Outlook 2002
When I attempt to launch Outlook, I get the following message "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Could not open item try again." Any ideas as to how I may resolve this issue? Regards. New profile? Detect and Repair? When did this error message start appearing and what did you install/uninstall just prior? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, ...

Unable to get Printer Context
We have several users that receive the following message when they try to print: 'Unable to get printer context. Make sure a default printer is set up." and they aren't able to print. When we go to File >> Print Setup, there is a default printer there. We've discovered that our users just have to open the properties window for the printer, not make any changes to it, and then close it, and they are able to print for that Great Plains session. But they have to remember to do this each time they log in to GP, otherwise they can't print. We are not using Named ...

Outlook only downloads headers in email, not full message
New computer, first time with Outlook 07. Email messages only download as headers initially. The rest of the message, i.e. the body of the message and any attachments, don't download unless I hit "Send/Receive" again. How do I make it so that I don't have to hit Send/Receive in order to get the whole message. I've already gone into Tools > Send/Receive > Send-Receive Settings and made adjustments there as per Outlook Help, but that didn't fix the problem. Outlook\Tools\Options\Mail Setup\Send/Receive\Edit\Folder Options and set it up there making sur...

emails without subject and date...
we recieved emails zonder sender, subject and date! but they are all usuall email and they are not virus. we have all outlook 2000 and MDeamon. any help is appriciated ...

HELP! Seeking Instructions to Create Report of POS (NOT RMS) Discounts Applied #3
We need to run monthly reports to determine how many of our different Discounts are claimed/used and the proceeds not tendered. We have offered a number of discounts to customers and employees as incentives and cannot find a method to track how each discount is applied (e.g., buy one, get one free with coupon). The built-in Discounted Sales report in POS 2.0 lists only the resulting Sale Price; we seek to have the report sorted by PresetDiscount type but the Advanced Report Filter dialog does not list Discount in the Field dropdown box and we can't locate the table in which transactions...

Creating bar charts using value ranges for each entry
I want to create a bar / column graph using Microsoft Graph where each data entry consists of a range of values (i.e. has a lower and upper value). For example: I have 3 different products. The price of each product will vary (have a lower and upper price - a range). Let's say Product one's price ranges from $75 - $100, Product two's price ranges from $65 - $120, and Product three from $60 - $115. I want to show graphically the three product prices as three blocks/bars next to each other (for comparison). Hope you understand what I'm asking here. Please help as I&...

how do i send an email and hide who it is from?
You can't. Any person knowledgeable enough to read the headers can figure out who it is from. "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11D55BE6-421F-4D05-A748-D023DC71DE70@microsoft.com... > Debbie wrote: <nothing> Firstly, please write the question in the BODY of the post, not just the subject line. Secondly, anyone who wishes to send email anonymously is considered to be a spammer. "Debbie" <Debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11D55BE6-421F-4D05-A748-D023DC71DE70@microsoft.com... > ...

Write Code that creates expiration date
I want to write a routine that allows someone to use the template for a certain time period. After that time period, I want them to stop using the program without renewing so the information stays current. The following routine will work, except I want the value to be stored in a Hidden Workbook or in the Registry. Then I only need to pass one file (the Hidden Workbook or bat file to update the registry). The template will be used to create files that will store data, so I don't want to touch EVERY file if they choose to keep using. The date needs to be stored externally...... 'P...

Removed gmail account but still getting emails on it?
Okay so i removed my gmail account from my windows mail that i use for my Yahoo email account but for some reason I don't know why my gmail mail like facebook emails and such is STILL going into my windows mail under. Which i cant access when I don't have my laptop on me. Can anybody help me? Thanks, Lyndsay In Windows Mail, go to Tools, Accounts, and make sure there is no Gmail account. Sometimes there are duplicate accounts. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Lyndsay" <L...

Sending Email pauses the workflow rule
Hi, I have a workflow rule where everytime a case is reassigned, an email is sent to the new user. I am getting this error where the rule gets paused at the "Send Email" action. The event logs shows the following error: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMWorkflowService Event Category: None Event ID: 5895 Date: 12/21/2004 Time: 5:16:40 PM User: N/A Computer: CRMServer Description: Error: action {EC89008C-940A-4BE0-9679-ED00071E1635} failed in step {2E484BCE-3259-40EF-BCE3-E1AF2338DEC6} of p...

Email status is already changed to forwarding icon
Hi, I have one issue. one email status in my inbox is already changed to forwarding icon. But I did not forward this email, and couldnot find any particular email sent in the sent items folder. There is not any rules applied. We use Windows SBS2003 and outlook 2003. Does someone here help me to fix this issue? Many thanks in advance. "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8D7B67E-BBC4-470B-A78E-C16A15BCBF6F@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have one issue. one email status in my inbox is already changed to > forwa...

IMF junk email in inbox
I am having problems with the junk mail filtering. I have set the following thresholds: SCL 7 UCE 4 Exchange is set up to send copy of all emails to a mailbox called "zzzCopy" Spam with SCL of 5 or 6 appears in correctly in the zzzCopy mailbox When spam is delivered to my personal mail-box some lands in the Junk mail box and some in the inbox Any suggestions? I am using exchange 2003 SP1 and all servers have been re- booted since installing IMF Regards Jim Yes I have logged on to both ZZZcopy and my email. The ZZZcopy account correctly manages junk email according to th...

AutoReply in Outlook doesn't send to external emails
Can AutoReply in Outlook be set to send out of office notification to external emails as well as interal? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C36BDA.F1BEED10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Chris, If you are using Exchange as the mail server then yes... You need to = configure exchange to send Out of Office Replys to external clients. This can be done by doing the following... 1. Open the Exchange System Manger 2. Expand 'Global Settings' 3. Highlight the 'Internet Messa...

Creating Reg-Free DLL situation
Greetings! I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM. At the MSDN website (link below), I was able to successfully follow along with the examples up to Step 7. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973913.aspx In Step 7, however, there is some code and discussion about GUID values and placeholders. I'm lost here. It does not tell me what to do with this code if anything. I did run my DLL through the Oleview.exe tool to check it out, but I really don't know what the heck I'm looking at. Anyway, in Step 8 my 'client.exe' is suppose to run...

free/busy info, unable to clean local free/busy
After a swing migration from e2k to e2k3 a lot of my users(roughly 1200) are getting "Unable to save free/busy info" when making appts in their calendars. Using myself as a test I found the /cleanfreebusy switch. But I would get "Unable to clean local free/busy info" error. Well did a bit of googling and found this. http://wadingthrough.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/unable-to-clean-local-freebusy-information/ again did this on my mailbox and it worked. Now my question is, how can I do it system wide? I would really prefer to not have to touch each persons computer or gi...

Email password automatic reset
Do anyone can tell me what is happend to Ms outlook XP for below problem? Everytime I launch MS outlook XP and check email by key in email password. This password was not save in password list. It suppose keep in the password list since MS outlook is not close. But after a few minutes, if I want to check email, I need to re-key in email password. Why? Anything happend in Ms outlook? Anyone know, please advice. Thanks. For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=27546...