Two Personal Folders showing in left panel

For some unknown reason I have the default Personal Folder as well as a
second copy of the Personal Folder showing in my folders list panel.  I can
not close the duplicate because that option is unavailable (presumably since
Outlook 2003 thinks this is the default)

I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003.  I have tried the repair inbox
tool as well as the detect and repair outlook options.

Help anyone?

0
jarneberg (5)

Create a new profile. Yours is corrupt.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jeff" <jarneberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For some unknown reason I have the default Personal Folder as well as a
> second copy of the Personal Folder showing in my folders list panel.  I
can
> not close the duplicate because that option is unavailable (presumably
since
> Outlook 2003 thinks this is the default)
>
> I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003.  I have tried the repair inbox
> tool as well as the detect and repair outlook options.
>
> Help anyone?

0
russval (3097)
2/18/2004 7:10:23 PM
Thanks.
How do I do that?

> Create a new profile. Yours is corrupt.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jeff" <jarneberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For some unknown reason I have the default Personal Folder as well as a
> > second copy of the Personal Folder showing in my folders list panel.  I
> can
> > not close the duplicate because that option is unavailable (presumably
> since
> > Outlook 2003 thinks this is the default)
> >
> > I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003.  I have tried the repair inbox
> > tool as well as the detect and repair outlook options.
> >
> > Help anyone?

0
jarneberg (5)
2/18/2004 7:24:44 PM
The KB article you need is currently unavailable. The one for Outlook 2002
is the same, so follow those directions. Make sure you know the name and
location of your PST file and all your mail account information.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/72.asp

--
> Thanks.
> How do I do that?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Create a new profile. Yours is corrupt.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Jeff" <jarneberg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > For some unknown reason I have the default Personal Folder as well as
> > > second copy of the Personal Folder showing in my folders list panel.
> > can
> > > not close the duplicate because that option is unavailable (presumably
> > since
> > > Outlook 2003 thinks this is the default)
> > >
> > > I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003.  I have tried the repair
inbox
> > > tool as well as the detect and repair outlook options.
> > >
> > > Help anyone?

0
russval (3097)
2/18/2004 7:46:54 PM
It sounds like I have the same problem but it was self-
induced.

Our new workstations have Outlook 2003 installed.  I
tried copying my old Outlook.pst file from my old PC,
which is in Outlook 97-2002 format, into the local
settings directory for Outlook.  Outlook 2003 complained
but ran and I had an extra set of Personal Folders in my
Folders List pane.

Everything was duplicated and new e-mails appeared in
both sets of personal folders, new and old.

I ran the Microsoft inbox integrity check program,
scanpst.exe, and it fixed up the duplicate delivery.
However, the extra "Personal Folders" icon still appears
at the bottom of my Folders list pane.  There is nothing
there, however-you just get a "folder set cannot be
opened" message.  I'm still trying to figure out how to
delete it.  It must be referenced in one of the control
files for Outlook 2003.

Anyone know where to get a list of control files and what
they contain?

Lonnie

0
anonymous (74722)
2/18/2004 7:53:45 PM
Lonnie <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I ran the Microsoft inbox integrity check program,
> scanpst.exe, and it fixed up the duplicate delivery.
> However, the extra "Personal Folders" icon still appears
> at the bottom of my Folders list pane.  There is nothing
> there, however-you just get a "folder set cannot be
> opened" message.  I'm still trying to figure out how to
> delete it.  It must be referenced in one of the control
> files for Outlook 2003.

It's not in a "control file", but in the Registry.  Search this group for
"ghost folders" to locate the Registry entries to modify.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)
2/18/2004 8:33:10 PM
Thank you, Brian.  I'll give that a try.

Regards,

Lonnie

0
anonymous (74722)
2/18/2004 8:50:22 PM
Here it is. Or, if you're squeamish about editing the registry, just create
a new profile as posted earlier.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Within the Outlook folder, there are a bunch of folders with long
hexadecimal values for names -- those are the ones you need to look in to
see if you can find the ghost .PST names. If you delete one of the keys and
it points to your real .PST file instead of one of the ghosts, it's not the
end of the world -- your data won't be gone. The worst you would have to do
is recreate your Outlook profile.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Brian Tillman" <Tillman@sparkingwire.com> wrote in message
> Lonnie <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I ran the Microsoft inbox integrity check program,
> > scanpst.exe, and it fixed up the duplicate delivery.
> > However, the extra "Personal Folders" icon still appears
> > at the bottom of my Folders list pane.  There is nothing
> > there, however-you just get a "folder set cannot be
> > opened" message.  I'm still trying to figure out how to
> > delete it.  It must be referenced in one of the control
> > files for Outlook 2003.
>
> It's not in a "control file", but in the Registry.  Search this group for
> "ghost folders" to locate the Registry entries to modify.
> --
> Brian Tillman
> Smiths Aerospace
> 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3
> Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991
> Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain.
>
> I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me.

0
russval (3097)

Address fields left
Hi all, query solution I hope ! I have imported a csv address file into access : Address1 Address2 - Address6 Some fields are blank followed by another blank example : Text Blank Blank Text Text Blank example : Blank Blank Text Blank Text Blank example : Text Blank Blank Blank Text Text How can I shunt all the fields left so as to remove any spaces cheers, Garry Use the Trim option. You havel LTrim, RTrim and Trim. The first removes spaces to the left, the second removes spaces to the right and the last removes spaces left and right. So in your query you could use something like ...

Merging folders in WLM
In OE and Windows Mail all messages went into the Inbox, no matter how many email addresses I had. In WLM they all go into separate folders. I'd like to have things back the way they were. How can I do this? Thanks Sorry, that's the way Windows Live Mail works. You can simulate the older mail client behavior by collapsing all the accounts to one line each, then do all your viewing via Quick View folders, which can be customized quite a bit. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "RobJenk" <...

Meeting
When I set up a meeting and list the attendees, these individuals do not get a option to accept or decline. I have requested a response. Whats wrong Are you sending using Outlook Rich Text Format? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Deb asked: | When I set up a meeting and list the attendees, these | individuals do not get a option to accept or decline...

Public folders in OWA #2
I had a problem earlier this week with getting OWA to work, finally got it working, when i added the defualt app under IIS. But when it comes up now if you go to public folders it shows it as a Directory rather than the normal outlook contacts look....you can browse it all the way to the contact, like this: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 8:51 AM 893 Bob Ponder.EML Any ideas? Sounds like you modified something in IIS Admin, then had those settings propagate down to the Public vdir. The only way I've ever been able to fix the view problem you are mentioning is to reinstall...

Transfering Outlook Calendar, Contacts and IMAP-folders to Live Ma
I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Ulf Eriksson wrote: > I have a new computer with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. > Live mail doesn't pick up the Outlook Calendar, Contacts and the IMAP > folders I had created. How can I get these over from my old Outlook to Live > Mail. (I have saved the pst file) Download and install the trial version of Office 2007....

unwanted Lines and characters showing up in publisher documents
When I open a document made in Publisher 2000, unwanted characters and lines appear next to the text. When I go to print the document the characters do not show up in the print but they are not all erasable as they appear in the document Is this a new occurance? Have you tried updating your video drivers? Publisher can do some really strange things because of video driver issues. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cc" <cc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:471001c4905f$da81d090$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I open a document made in Publisher ...

Allow Multiple Values check box not showing up
I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup Wizard, but when I get to the place where is should let me choose to store multiple values for the lookup that section does not come up. I went online and printed the instructions off the help page so I know I am doing it right. Help! IMO, multivalued and lookup fields are not a good idea. You didn't mention what version of Access you are using. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mschurter" wrote: > I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup > ...

Help creating two listings from one record
I have extracted "members" from my database. One record will contain LastName and FirstName, and may also contain SpouseName. Because I am creating membership cards in Publisher, I think I probably should actually create another query or ?? that contains one record with either [FirstName LastName] or [SpouseName LastName] Probablyl something like ... If SpouseName greater spaces List SpouseName LastName else next sentence. List FirstName LastName I don't have a clue how to do this in Access. Appreciate all help. Try this -- [FirstName] &a...

Two other Money "issues" I'd like to see fixed before I die
Env: M03 on WinXP Pro After I enter my paycheck, the Forecast Cash Flow reflects two, three, four, five, sometimes maybe even six, times the regular transfer from my paycheck to savings for all future paychecks. Looking in the forecast transactions, there they are: multiple instances of this transfer on the receiving side each week. For some reason, it doesn't reflect multiple occurrences on the sending side. If I edit the scheduled paycheck, retype the exact same amount for this transfer, then save the "updated" scheduled paycheck, Forecast Cash Flow sanity returns. So, every w...

having every deleted items folder empty on exit
Hi. I have outlook 2003 set up so that my deleted items folder in my default personal folders empties when I exit. At the same time, my wife has a personal folder set up that has a deleted items folder in it as well. However, this one does not empty automatically as the default deleted items folder does upon exit. Is there any way to change this so all deleted items folders empty when I exit? Thanks for any help. No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Othe...

Compound Lookup Field Only Showing First Field
Hello, I am using a lookup field for name and the name is broken into two fields - FirstName and LastName. When selecting the name from the drop down, I see both first and last names, but after selecting, I only see the first name. For visual reasons, I would like to see the first and last names in the form. I am using Access 2007, but believe this issue is in previous versions as well. I am open to suggestions and appreciate your help, Chris Hello Chris. "Chris" wrote: > I am using a lookup field for name and the name is broken into two > fields - FirstName and LastNa...

adding two colmuns together
I do the audit at a hotel and I was wondering if there was any way to take my todays column and add it automatically to the month to sate column without having to do it manually. It only involves two columns but I am stumped. angela Angela, To do it automatically you may need to use some VBA code, however there are a few alternatives. I am assuming that you have done the obvious and inserted a forumula into a 3rd column that adds the 2 columns together. An alternative way would be to use the *paste values add* function as follows: 1. select the cells with the current months data in i...

Open new form based on two criteria
I have a main form that I need to be able to open another form that is based on two different fields on the main form. This is what I have: Private Sub cmdOpenForm_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdOpenForm_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "SFRM_AllLocationsperContract" stLinkCriteria = (((TBL_LocationContract.ContractNumber) = "&[Forms]! [FRM_CompanyAddContracts]![txtContractID]&") And ((TBL_LocationContract. CompanyID) = "&[Forms]![FRM_CompanyAddContracts]![txtCompanyID]&")) DoCmd...

Two e-mail programs simultaneously
I am using gmail for e-mail. I use the e-mail program Windows mail. But I now have two computers. I would like to open my e-mails on the new computer too, in a neat e-mail program. Outlook Express is pre installed so I want to use that. The new computer (a netbook) operates with mobile broadband, they stationary computer gets internet from cable. Computer 1: (stationary) Runs on broadband, Internet Explorer 8, Windows Vista, Windows mail Computer 2 (netbook): Runs on mobile internet, Internet Explorer 8, Windows XP, Outlook Express 6 I have configurated my e-mail acc...

RA's showing on Invoices
Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a return to an invoice, and have that reflected on the invoice balance? If I remember basic accounting from many years ago, an invoice is the record of a specific transaction for an account and a statement is the record of the activity, over a period of time, for an account. You are trying to mix the two. I don't know of any way to do this - perhpas someone else will chime in with a brilliant workaround. -- Lyle U Kelly wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a way to apply a return to an invoice, > and have that reflected on the i...

Comparing two Columns #3
I have to columns full of data one column is "inventory" and the secon column is "charged items" inventory is what should be on the shel according to the computer, and charged items are the books that ar checked out. So the inventory - charged items would more less give m what "should" be on the shelf according to the computer. So I want column C to list me everything that is in Column A that i not in Column B. Column A is Inventory Column B is charged items (goes up to 6000). After I typed it out it seems very simply I just haven't figured ou how to...

Read from same email account on two separate computers at same tim
I am not too sure if this question belongs to Windows Live Mail. Since I can't do it with POP protocol, I have Windows Live Mail set up to access the same GMail account with IMAP protocol on two separate computers for convenience sake. Every time I start the Windows Live Mail on the second computer after another one already starts on one computer, there seems to be error accessing the server. Also the Windows Live Mail on one system seems to keep downloading mails while the other one doesn't. How can I selectively download mails, that is download only when I read ...

releasing shared folder from read only..
X-No-Archive: yes I've got a simple network, 3 computers + 2 wireless, all XP Pro. Have A folder called *work* set up on one computer which I can see, open and open files inside from any computer on the network. I cannot save back to the folder because it tells me it is 'read only' ..............which it is! I've disabled simple file sharing and set the folder to full control, (it's shared, obviously) and each time I unclick the read only radio button in the properties tab for the folder, click apply, exit and re-enter the folder, the read only radio butt...

Cannot access Public Folders via ESM
Hello, I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same problem if I try it from the exchange server, or remote. It just hangs, no error message. I or the users don’t have a problem connecting from outlook. I’m using exchange 2003 on wind server 2003 sp1 Thanks Try restarting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. "Marsel" <Marsel @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EBCE555-FCDD-4304-B2C4-F82E5DD1690E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same &g...

comparing two spread sheets #2
In spread sheet "A" and "B" the last names are in column B and first names are in column C. I want EXCEL to tell me if the names (a name consist of a last and first name) on spread sheet "B" or in spread sheet "A" spread sheet "A" may or may not already contain the names in spread sheet "B". How do you do this is EXCEL? Hi one way: enter the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in column D of spreasheet A: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(1,('sheetB'!$B$1:$B$1000=B1)*('sheetB'!$C$1:$C$1000=C1), 0)),"not in s...

Contact not showing up in Global Address List
I have created some contacts for people out outside the company that everyone in the company should see. The contacts are not show up in the GAL. But they are showing up in the All Contacts list. The client is Outlook 2003. It is the client or the setup in AD .. Any help would be great Make sure that your GAL filter includes contacts. If it does, there will be the following filter (objectClass=contact) "Mat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29cef01c465d2$301708d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have created some contacts for people out outside the ...

combining charts from two spreadsheets
I hope someone can help me with this: I have two charts. The one thing these charts have in common are the addresses (the charts are from two different sources). On one chart, I will have monthly sales for the addresses. On another chart, I will have how much each location paid in expenses. I would like to combine these charts into one chart. The addresses on one chart will correspond to the addresses on the other chart and from their, I would like the other information to fall into place. Is this possible? Thanks for any help. this is totally out of the blue, but are you related to...

Two different formats for same document
I print scripts onto 8x5 index cards, landscape. I'd like to be able to print a copy of the script, two pages per sheet, onto 8.5x11 paper for editing purposes. The index card page breaks are important to know in the editing. Any ideas? I use MS Word 2008 for Mac. I can't give you explicit directions without more details but I believe you should find your solution in the Print dialog. There should be nothing you have to change in your document itself. In the Print dialog open the Copies & pages list, select Layout. Choose 2 in the 'Pages per Sheet' lis...

Lost folder #3
All my folders are gone. In outlook express i had a folder right after my drafts it's now gone. How can i find this? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us...

2 Personal folders??
Hi. I've just pasted my saved PST file into a newly formatted and newly installed Outlook 2003. Copied it into Me>local settings>application data>Microsoft>Outlook The trouble is, on opening Outlook, I now have 2 Personal folders, they are identical. All my stuff is there but twice. Could you please tell me how I can get rid of one Thank you Hi JB, maybe you have a Ghost PST file: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Outlook Groupware without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronization for laptops: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware....