Trimming Outlook Data Files

Every now and then I trim our Outlook (2003 & 2002) data folders and archive
older data. Now the archive files are themselves getting to be quite large
(around 600MB or close to the max that can be copied on to a CD) and in any
case I would like to split the archive files into separate volumes for
calendar years 2003, 2004, 2005 etc.

What is the best way of doing this and can archive files be deleted (once
they have been secured on CD media) from Outlook? I tried doing this but
Outlook keeps throwing up an error message indicating it cannot file the
archive files.

Thanks for your help.

0
lalsitara (28)

The only way to do this that I know of (there may be 3rd party programs
available) is to open the archive file in Outlook and then create new .PST
files to move the data into.  Once you're done moving data between files,
you should be able to right-click their root folders in the Folder List and
click Close -- the files will not be loaded into Outlook but they will still
be on your hard drive.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:%23KpKAjo9EHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Sitara Lal wrote:

> Every now and then I trim our Outlook (2003 & 2002) data folders and
> archive older data. Now the archive files are themselves getting to
> be quite large (around 600MB or close to the max that can be copied
> on to a CD) and in any case I would like to split the archive files
> into separate volumes for calendar years 2003, 2004, 2005 etc.
>
> What is the best way of doing this and can archive files be deleted
> (once they have been secured on CD media) from Outlook? I tried doing
> this but Outlook keeps throwing up an error message indicating it
> cannot file the archive files.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11

find action on log file

Maximum file sizes

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

cannot open hyper links in outlook