Transferring folders to another computer

Hi,
I'm switching offices within my company, and my computer is
not coming with me.  I will be using the same email
account, but on this machine, I have a number of folders
with old, saved mail messages that I still want to keep.
IS there any way to bundle them up and put them on a disk,
or save them, or something?

Kat <kat.fulgieir@nytps.com> wrote:

> I'm switching offices within my company, and my computer is
> not coming with me.  I will be using the same email
> account, but on this machine, I have a number of folders
> with old, saved mail messages that I still want to keep.
> IS there any way to bundle them up and put them on a disk,
> or save them, or something?

Copy the PST containing those items to a network share or a CD and place
them on the new PC, remove the read-only attribute, if it's on, and open the
file with FIle>Open>Outlook Data File
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
9/22/2004 3:10:17 PM
Thank you but what does pst mean and what is the exact
process for that?

Kat <Kat.fulgieri@nytps.com> wrote:

> Thank you but what does pst mean and what is the exact
> process for that?

The PST is the place where Outlook stores all your items.  It's the
"Personal Folders" file.

What is the exact process for what?  Copying the PST?  Certainly you know
how to copy files on Windows.  Is your PC connected to a network?  Do you
have a CD burner on the PC?  If the former, with Outlook closed, use Windows
Explorer to copy your PST to a network share that you'll also be able to
access from the new PC.  On Windows 2000/XP, the default location for a PST
is %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.  This is
a hidden folder and to view it you'll have to enable viewing hidden files
and folders.  For Windows 98 it's C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

After you've copied the PST to a network share, on the new machine, copy it
back to your hard drive, placing it in any folder to which you have access.
Then, once you've configured a mail profile, you can start Outlook, click
File>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to the PST you just copied, select it,
and click OK.  You'll now see all the folders it contains and you can either
move the items in those folders into your "Outlook Today" folders (you can't
move the folders themselves because Outlook Today will already contain
folders of the same names) or simply change your default delivery location
to be the moved folders, which will become your new Outlook Today.

Is this clear enough?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Another CComboBox owner-draw question
Hello all, I have seen a lot of similar questions to mine here, but not exactly like mine. I have an owner drawn CComboBox class that does almost everything I want. I can draw each of the listbox lines in any color I want. I can brush the background of the edit part in a color, but only once. I can draw iboth text and background n the edit portion whatever color I want. Here are the two things I can't do, and its driving me nuts. I want to be able to change the 'brushed color' at will. When I create the brush, I can give it a color, but I can't figure out a way to change ...

Help Moving Public Folders and Keeping Links Intact?
Here is the problem (using OL 2003). I am trying to move a contact folder and a task folder from a public folder to another public folder. To do so I am following these steps: 1. Creating a new .pst file. 2. Copying the folders from the public folders to the pst. 3. Copying the folders from the new .pst up to the new set of public folders. (these public folders are on different servers). After I do this, the links between the tasks and the contacts are lost. When double clicking on the contact field in the task, I get the following error: "the name or distribution list has be...

display a drop-down list based on the content of another cell
I want to display a drop-down validation list for a target cell only if the vlaue in another cell meets or exceeds a numerical threshold. If the threshold is not met, I want to force the target cell to remain blank. Cell A contents -----> Cell B contents < 100 must be blank >= 100 may only be "red" or "green" or "blue" Using MS Office Excel 2003 Joe, without VBA you can have a Custom data validation with the following formula: =IF(A1<100, B1="", OR(B1="a", B1=...

attachment saved to web folder
More major issues w/Office 2003. I saved a visio file in 2002 format, sent a link creating a doc workspace on a WSS site, and the stupid thing built a nice workspace *BUT NO DOCUMENT* in it. So I uploaded the file manually to the workspace, and one of the recipients (Office/Visio 2002 client) cannot open it or "discuss" it. And I can't seem to create versions. Anybody else find the "easy to use Office 03" this stressful to use, and this hard to get to interoperate? ...

Transfer data from sheet to sheet
I'm currently working on a quotation and I have 3 seperate worksheets I'm working with. Sheet 1 has all the model name, elevation, part description, quantity, cost per piece and total. This worksheet is for internal use only. Sheet 2 has all the products and prices listed. (Probably has no purpose for my question) Now Sheet 3 is where I am trying to pull only certain data from Sheet 1. What I am trying to do is transfer only the columns labeled "model name", "elevation" and "total" Obviously the easy way to do it is to just cut and paste but since...

direct sent mail to specific folders
At my last job I was able to have an automatic choice if I wanted to keep a copy of an email I was sending, It was a simple pop up box that asked save yes or no. If I chose yes I then could choose what folder I filed it in. This was instead of having all email saved in a sent folder. At the new job no one knows how to set this up. Smaller IT dept, smaller help potential. I need help as I was spoiled! Hank "Hank Novak" <Hank Novak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA33AD75-9837-41E1-A129-78E4060301C6@microsoft.com... > At my last job I was able to ...

How can we save email sent via mail merge into sent items folder
When we use mail merge utility, is there a possibility to save items in sent folder so that they can be forwarded or copied to specific people later Hi, it is easy with our Mail Merge Toolkit for Microsoft Office: http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/ This screenshot is an answer to your question: http://www.mapilab.com/images/screenshots/mail_merge/mmt_3.gif Alexander Gorlach, MAPILab Ltd. http://www.mapilab.com/ "Sudhakar" <Sudhakar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F313B1EC-5DAD-4C9B-AA6D-701FD7E6CD70@microsoft.com... > When we use mail merge ...

Forcing a dialog window to the foreground from another process.
I have googled this topic and most have said this cannot be done because changes are made since Windows 98/2000 to disallow a dialog window from appearing in the foreground if certain conditions are not met. I have an MFC application that handles all the UI aspects (Dialogs/Error Msgbox, etc), my secondary app is an Outlook plugin that communicates with my main app thru COM. From the Outlook plugin, I need to display the dialogs from my main app. The problem is, the dialogs will not be brought to the foreground, they will just blink in the taskbar. I have SetForegroundWindow() calle...

Deleting from another user's Mailbox
Hi I have a user with permission to open another users mailbox (a service account mailbox) However, if UserA deletes an item from User B's inbox, the item is transferred to User A's deleted items folder. I have even tried dragging the item from UserB inbox to UserB deleted items folder and the item still is moved to UserA Any workaround/suggestions? Ian McCulloch Sydney, NS Canada Hy Ian, if "user A" delete an item in "user B" Mailbox, who deletes the item? I think it is "user A", so the item must be in the "Deleted items" folder of &...

Move Exchange 5.5 to another domain
Hello, Can somebody tell me it is possible to move a Exchange 5.5 from one domain (NT 4.0) to another new domain (W2003). I dont know if there are some problem with the accounts that have the permsission in the original domain. Wich will be deleted after. Thanks Moving an Exchange 5.5 server from one domain to another is unsupported. Move the mailboxes instead. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. "Paco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Outlook folders help
Hi all, I I'm looking for a way to sort emails in to folders automatically without having to create the folder by hand. I recieve emails that start with a string "#23423 london" or #34890 Spain" and would like these to go to a folder that begins with that string "#?????." I have about 300 unique strings and are added at the rate of several a week. Many thanks, -Cliff cliffchroust@gmail.com <cliffchroust@gmail.com> wrote: > I recieve emails that start with a string "#23423 london" or #34890 > Spain" and would like these to go to a ...

public folder referral
i have front-end01, backend-01, backend02, public-folder01. all back-end servers have its own pub.edb and all mailbox stores point to their own respective servernames for public folder. when i try to access calendar availabililty on mailbox (back-end01) through OWA, it is prompting me to authenticate public folders on back-end02. I understand calendar availability is free/busy info. that is obtained from public folders. But my point is what is referring back-end01 to backend02, insteald of public folder server? Any input? Check if the SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY system folder is being replicat...

public folder replication!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a while paper out there on the proper way to setup replication of public folders between 2 window2003 exchange servers. Thanks "jon" <jgreen@alro.com> wrote: >Is there a while paper out there on the proper way to >setup replication of public folders between 2 window2003 >exchange servers. "proper" depends on what you want to do. Are you wanting to have a replica of every folder on both servers? If so, use the pfmigrate.wsf program on the E2K3 CD. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_f...

Custom report folders
Is it possible to add new report folders to Crystal Enterprise on the CRM server? I have the 8.5 developer edition for CRM installed on another machine for editing. TIA Simon No it is not. Reason is that if you added a new folder all the source code for the web would have to update as well so for now you can only save to existing report folders "Simon Storr" <sstorr@sdasolutions.com> wrote in message news:%23XpLaJBiDHA.2512@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to add new report folders to Crystal Enterprise on the CRM > server? I have the 8.5 developer edition ...

Multiple Public Folder Stores
Is it possible to have multiple MAPI based public folder stores in Exchange 2003 all visible from an Outlook client? Thanks Alan - You can have multiple public folder stores associated with the MAPI hierarchy in the Exchange 2003 organization, but you can have only one such public folder store per server. -- Evan Dodds Microsoft Exchange Support ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purposes only. "Alan Roberts" <alan.rob...

MAPI access to Outlook 2003 folders
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C4C7FC.3AB2F830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I support an application that uses 32bit MAPI to access the folders of a = local Outlook installation. The same application can also access = Outlook Express. This function accesses the folders so that the = contents of the email messages can be stored inside of a database for = future reference. Our application is able to access the Sent Items and Deleted Items = folders in Outlook clients only. If ...

Why is Outlook 03 synchronizing folders with every send?
Running Outlook 2003 and WIN XP/SP2. With every send attempt, I get an icon and a message Outlook synchronizing folders. Send and receive times have increased tremendously. I was online with my ISP and they claim issue is on my end. I use cable modem and my web-based mail works fine using Time Warner website. This occurs on my laptop but not on my desktop. Suggestions? ...

CFileDialog and My Computer
In my program I am using CFileDialog to ask the operator to enter a file name. If the operator navigates to the "My Computer" level, the dialog shows nothing in the main box. I expected it to show my drive entries in a similar manner to how it shows directories. But it doesn't. Instead it shows nothing. Is there a way to change this? I'm using Visual C++ Version 6 running on XP. "TonyG" <TonyG@junk.com> wrote in message news:fYJVi.2050$yV6.1028@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net... > In my program I am using CFileDialog to ask the operator to enter a file ...

Open a form using a comand button on another form
By using a command button on a certain form I am oppenig an other form at a cetain record by using some criteria. I am using the command button wizard to do that. When the form oppens however, I want to be able to move to other records of the form record source. Is there an easy way to do that? Thanks in advance Michalis Instead of passing the criteria in the WhereCondition, pass it in OpenArgs instead. Then use the form's Load event to FindFirst in the RecordsetClone, and set the Bookmark. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http:/...

text color change if value is true, another color if value is false
I am using a DAYS360 formula and I want the result to be returned in green font if the value is less than or equal to 21 days, orange font if the value is equal to or less than 28 days and red font if the result is greater than or equal to 28 days Any suggestions? Have a look at conditional formatting. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Michelle Sheldon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E621598-064C-4157-8F88-11F9AD2155F2@microsoft.com... > I am using a DAYS360 formula and I want the result to be returned in green font if the ...

public folders in exchange
If you look in the KB 246504 and 179220 Thats the error messages I get. I have upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 but the problem was also in exchange 5.5 and I had the latest sp in 5.5. I cant get rid of those objects in the public folders eather in Outlook or the ESM. How to get rid of the public filders when I cant access them?? does anyone know?? Tintin >-----Original Message----- >Are they normal folders or system folders? What error do you get? Is this >in Outlook or ESM? > >"admin raw mode" - Are you trying to use the 5.5 admin? > >-- >Hope...

Delete messages in Imap folder
I'm looking for a rule who can move messages from Imap folder to other folder (for example "delete Item" each time i delete message. Thanks, ...

Is there a way to redirect only certain users folders?
I want to do a "test" redirect of folders before implementing it fully. Is there a way to just select a few users and redirect their folders in SBS 2003? Thanks, Jim Hi Jim: Folder redirection is done by the Group Policy that applies to the OU where the SBS stations are located. But it is nothing more than a forced changing of the My Documents location ot a location on the SBS (or some other place if you change the GPO). You can do the exact same thing from a user desktop. Rclick the my documents folder and change the path to some folder on the SBS or some ot...

How do I copy excel macros from one pc to another?
I have written macros in excel for which I use regularly. I want to copy them to a new PC however I am unable to do so. How do I get them from one pc to another? Unable, how are you unable? You can copy over the files that hold the macros and they will be copied as well, you can export the macros as text file (*.bas) and import them (alt + f11, right click the modules and select export module or file>export, to import do file>import to import) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "KenK" wrote: > I have written macros in excel for which I use regularly. I want to copy > the...

How to synchronize Public Contact folder with local contacts?
How can I synchronize a Contact Folder in our Public Folders on our Network with my local Contacts Folder? You'll need to copy them yourself or use a utility. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync-mail.asp for a list of utilities. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM ...