Tracking Attachment File Names #2

Tracking Attachment File Names

I posted the following to this group in May last year but didn't get a
nibble.  I'll try again in the hope that someone has crossed a bridge
or two in the mean time:


Why is Outlook 2003 so reluctant to expose details of attachments to
the user?  I would like to be able to search for, view, and print a
report that targets the file names of attachments. The attachment
file name only appears on a printed message if the message is
formatted as plain text. Even then, the file name is only fully
displayed if it is not too long to fit in the space allocated. As for
being able to search for a file name, to see which message(s)
contained that attachment, that just seems too hard.

Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text
string in the message body to record the file name seem to offer some
hope of doing what I need. At least you could then search for an
attachment file name amongst all messages.

The Sperry Utility does insert the file name into the message body,
but that application seems not to work with some messages.

The MapiLab Utility also looked hopeful, but after converting the file
name to text, it then enters it back into the message as an
attachment.

I would really appreciate hearing of some way to track the file names
of attachments to Outlook messages, particularly if this is combined
with an elegant attachment stripping utility.

Andyh

0
andyh1 (26)
4/2/2007 4:41:23 AM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

9 Replies
437 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

"AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote in message 
news:3a2113dml4jpmmcaj2a67opn234e0uvt9e@4ax.com...
> Tracking Attachment File Names


> Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text
> string in the message body to record the file name seem to offer some
> hope of doing what I need. At least you could then search for an
> attachment file name amongst all messages.
>
> The Sperry Utility does insert the file name into the message body,
> but that application seems not to work with some messages.
>

Not sure why the Sperry util has problems. Most often, this type of issue is 
to do with the Outlook data and running scanpst will fix it up. However, you 
might like to try our attachment stripper, to see if you get more success:

http://www.lbetoolbox.com/attachstrip.htm

-- 
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software priced to suit all 
businesses
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings 
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace, 
send newsletters


0
John
4/2/2007 7:44:30 AM
Before I try your product perhaps you could allow me to pose the
following situation.

I have a public folder with approx 16,000 messages in it.  I know that
somewhere amongst these emails there is one that contains a vital
attachment file, say HiValue-0073.zip.  There are no other clues to
what message might contain that attachment.  Which message contains
the attachment?

This is the sort of scenario I am trying to field.  Do you think your
product could offer a solution here?

Regards,
AndyH


On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 07:44:30 GMT, "John Blessing"
<blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote:

>"AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote in message 
>news:3a2113dml4jpmmcaj2a67opn234e0uvt9e@4ax.com...
>> Tracking Attachment File Names
>
>
>> Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text
>> string in the message body to record the file name seem to offer some
>> hope of doing what I need. At least you could then search for an
>> attachment file name amongst all messages.
>>
>> The Sperry Utility does insert the file name into the message body,
>> but that application seems not to work with some messages.
>>
>
>Not sure why the Sperry util has problems. Most often, this type of issue is 
>to do with the Outlook data and running scanpst will fix it up. However, you 
>might like to try our attachment stripper, to see if you get more success:
>
>http://www.lbetoolbox.com/attachstrip.htm

0
andyh1 (26)
4/2/2007 7:58:20 AM

"AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote in message 
news:ard113lreo28lcvfia2068rvpg9jivbmg2@4ax.com...
> Before I try your product perhaps you could allow me to pose the
> following situation.
>
> I have a public folder with approx 16,000 messages in it.  I know that
> somewhere amongst these emails there is one that contains a vital
> attachment file, say HiValue-0073.zip.  There are no other clues to
> what message might contain that attachment.  Which message contains
> the attachment?
>
> This is the sort of scenario I am trying to field.  Do you think your
> product could offer a solution here?
>
> Regards,
> AndyH
>

If you stripped the attachment first, it would then put a link to the 
stripped file into the message, then you could do a search for it. A bit 
cumbersome. The only alternative is custom code.  Contact me by email at 
www.lbesoftware.com/contact.asp if you are interested

-- 
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software priced to suit all 
businesses
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings 
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace, 
send newsletters 


0
John
4/2/2007 10:27:33 AM
Thanks, I ended up sorting it out with some help :

this is the info that solved it :
Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with your address book
      1. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Properties for 
your folder name.
      2. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select the Show this 
folder as an e-mail address book check box, type a descriptive name, and 
then click OK.


cheers,

Brian Canham
"John Blessing" <blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:pU4Qh.1494$x4.349@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
>
>
> "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote in message 
> news:ard113lreo28lcvfia2068rvpg9jivbmg2@4ax.com...
>> Before I try your product perhaps you could allow me to pose the
>> following situation.
>>
>> I have a public folder with approx 16,000 messages in it.  I know that
>> somewhere amongst these emails there is one that contains a vital
>> attachment file, say HiValue-0073.zip.  There are no other clues to
>> what message might contain that attachment.  Which message contains
>> the attachment?
>>
>> This is the sort of scenario I am trying to field.  Do you think your
>> product could offer a solution here?
>>
>> Regards,
>> AndyH
>>
>
> If you stripped the attachment first, it would then put a link to the 
> stripped file into the message, then you could do a search for it. A bit 
> cumbersome. The only alternative is custom code.  Contact me by email at 
> www.lbesoftware.com/contact.asp if you are interested
>
> -- 
> John Blessing
>
> http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software priced to suit all 
> businesses
> http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment bookings 
> for your meeting/class over the web.
> http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, 
> find/replace, send newsletters
> 


0
Nospam1139 (52)
4/2/2007 10:50:48 AM
AndyH <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote:

> Before I try your product perhaps you could allow me to pose the
> following situation.
>
> I have a public folder with approx 16,000 messages in it.  I know that
> somewhere amongst these emails there is one that contains a vital
> attachment file, say HiValue-0073.zip.  There are no other clues to
> what message might contain that attachment.  Which message contains
> the attachment?

This seems doable enough with plain Outlook.  Just sort the list by the 
attachment icon.  All messages with attachments will be collected together. 
If there aren't a lot of them, you should be able to find it in a few 
minutes.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/2/2007 12:15:01 PM
Hi-Soft <nospam@spam.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I ended up sorting it out with some help :
> 
> this is the info that solved it :
> Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with your address book
>      1. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Properties
> for your folder name.
>      2. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select the Show this
> folder as an e-mail address book check box, type a descriptive name,
> and then click OK.

Wrong thread.
-- 
Brian Tillman
0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/2/2007 12:15:36 PM
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:15:01 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
<tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote:

>AndyH <andyh@triode.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Before I try your product perhaps you could allow me to pose the
>> following situation.
>>
>> I have a public folder with approx 16,000 messages in it.  I know that
>> somewhere amongst these emails there is one that contains a vital
>> attachment file, say HiValue-0073.zip.  There are no other clues to
>> what message might contain that attachment.  Which message contains
>> the attachment?
>
>This seems doable enough with plain Outlook.  Just sort the list by the 
>attachment icon.  All messages with attachments will be collected together. 
>If there aren't a lot of them, you should be able to find it in a few 
>minutes.

I just checked my emails that have attachments.  54 percent have
attachments.  That still leaves 8,640 emails to check one by one for
the lost attachment :)

AndyH

0
andyh1 (26)
4/3/2007 8:37:47 AM
windows desktop search indexes outlook attachments. easy.

0
maxxed (1)
4/11/2007 3:50:16 PM
Unfortunately for Windows Desktop Search to index a Public Folder the
local Outlook must be running in Exchange cached mode.  Due to the
size of the Public Folder involved (13 Gb at present) I don't think
that would be feasible.

On 11 Apr 2007 08:50:16 -0700, "max" <maxxed@gmail.com> wrote:

>windows desktop search indexes outlook attachments. easy.

0
andyh1 (26)
4/16/2007 3:16:39 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

find action on log file
Hello there I want to use outside tool to find who made some update on table in my server I know that there are many tools for this. But can they do it on simple recovery model? Roy Goldhammer (royg@yahoo.com) writes: > I want to use outside tool to find who made some update on table in my > server > > I know that there are many tools for this. But can they do it on simple > recovery model? No. If you are using the simple recovery model, the contents of the log is wasted away everyonce in a while. Well, if the disk area has not been overwritten...

Banking Services Update Problem #2
I have successfully completed all of the steps as provided for in the update instructions. Initially updates were received as usual. However, now all of the accounts that were disabled and set-up again are failing to update. Message received is "Update unsuccessful" and call summary message is "Microsoft Money could not update your account. Please try to update your account again." Also after updating, the accounts that were updated never displayed a password text box. I went through the disable and set-up process again and still no password text box on the upd...

File size #11
I have read the other discussions on file sizes but they do not seem to address my problem. I have an Excel file that is 12mb large with low-res jpegs in it. This file also has merged cells to make it look pretty. Does Excel look at these merged cells as graphics? Is this why they are too big? I have run a macro to make sure that it goes to the last cell. How can I get the file smaller? How big are the graphics? If you remove them from the file, what is the size of the file and what is the size of the graphic files? To be sure you do not have extra formatting, if you open the file...

More Columns #2
I am using all columns through IV on one of my worksheets. Does anyone know how to get more columns? Hi stacy know way using Excel. this is the maximum! -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Stacy Haskins wrote: > I am using all columns through IV on one of my > worksheets. Does anyone know how to get more columns? As Frank said, that's the maximum cols But maybe you could try transposing your table / data ? (Excel has a lot more rows than columns) If so, try: http://tinyurl.com/2nmyy for an example on using TRANSPOSE() For a one-time Tranpose: Copy > Paste Specia...

Publisher file to PDF, image problems.
when I print a Publisher file to PDF, my logo comes out fuzzy. Michelle1031 <Michelle1031@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > when I print a Publisher file to PDF, my logo comes out fuzzy. If you zoom in on your document in Publisher, is your logo fuzzy? What PDF quality settings are you using? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Michelle, I have tried that b4 and had no success. I even had a DTP specialist try it, it still does not work. The only thing I can suggest is to insert the photo from ur computer into the document after you conve...

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs
I have been having a problem recently that is probably an easy fix .... just need some guidance. Running OL 2002 on an XP PRO machine connected to a Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000. Everytime I go to attach a file to an email it takes forever to navigate through the trees, often resulting in the program freezing. Have tried Detect and Repair but no difference. Problem just started a few weeks ago but have not added anything to my system. Can anyone help? ...

Attaching Contacts to new email
Creating a new email. When contacts folder has "shared" contacts and "personal" contacts how can you set your personal contacts as the default? Example: creating a new email having never addressed the "send to" contact before, you hit the "To" button. Currently my "shared" contacts opens up but I would like my "personal" contacts page to open instead of having to drop down to "contacts" to bring up that list. Is there a solution to this? Thank you!!! On 2/26/2010 10:21 AM, assistantneedshelp wrote: >...

owa cant open ppt attachments
i have an exchange 2003 cluster when a user tries to open or save a powerpoint attachment it hangs at 97% all other attachments open fine any ideas thanks ...

Maximum file sizes
Is there a recommended maximum file size for Excel 2000. PC spec 2Ghz P4 with 256 Mb Any advice appreciated Deus -------------- Does Not Exist Hi have a look at http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Deus DNE" <deus.dne@ntlworld.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1561701c41d4f$358950f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a recommended maximum file size for Excel 2000. > > PC spec 2Ghz P4 with 256 Mb > > Any advice appreciated > > Deus > -------------- > Does Not Exist ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?
Is there a way to specify a relative path to an XML data file imported into Excel 2003? I am writing a web app that generates report data as XML for the user to download to their local machine. This data is to be consumed by an Excel reporting spreadsheet, which contains display-formatted tables and charts that are mapped to various data fields in an XML Map, which is in turn linked to the xml data file they will download. The idea is the user only needs to download the data for updates, not the whole spreadsheet. However, since I cannot predict the path where the user will store their...

How to repair a .dll file in IE8
Several days ago I noticed in my Dependency Walker that the IESHIMS.dll files has a yellow circle with a question mark on it. What does this mean and How do I repair it? OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Browser Internet Explorer 8 -- TW Hi, See the History tab on that dialog. A web search for ieshims.dll files will also help you find a solution for that file. Regards. "TW" <TW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63E61463-D766-4ABC-B081-BFA8C04FB159@microsoft.com... > Several days ago I noticed in my Dependency Walker that the IESHIMS....

Linking files 2 ways
I have a work book that is linked to another and vise versa. As thus: Workbook A is where the input of data is made; Workbook B has a link to the input from workbook A; Workbook A retrieves the altered data back as a link. Although this all works fine with both books open, I note that if I open workbook A by itself, that the data it retrieves from Workbook B is not updated . If However, both books are open, there's no problem. I thought linked books were updated automatically if the Update remote references has been selected?? But it appears that the second book is not updated until it ...

OL2007 not move big files from outbox to sent
Hi, We have 2 computers with separate email accounts on Roadrunner. One machine has XP with Outlook 2002-sp3 and works without any problems. The other has Outlook 2007 on Vista and has problems sending files over a meg or so in size. It seems to actually send the file but the file remains in the outbox folder and does not move it to the sent folder. I say it "seems" to send the file because some people complain of getting muliple copies and others don't seem to get them at all. If I hit send again (not set up for auto send) it seems to send the file again (why some ...

unsolicited entry in the folder "Temporary Internet Files"
Hello, I am working on a programme which browses web sites and runs under XP. The http download is as follows: pServer = Isession -> GetHttpConnection(strServerName, nPort); pFile = pServer->OpenRequest(CHttpConnection::HTTP_VERB_GET, strObject, NULL, 1, NULL, NULL, dwHttpRequestFlags); pFile->SendRequest(); pFile->QueryInfoStatusCode(dwStatusCode); if(dwStatusCode == 200) { pFile -> QueryInfo(HTTP_QUERY_LAST_MODIFIED, &sysT); status.lastMod = sysT; if(DBlastMod == status.lastMod) //URL content has not changed since the last visit ...

Goal Seek #2
Can anyone tell me a little about goal seek? Hi basically it's used to change an input variable so that the result of the formula equals what you want it to ... say i have the following A B C 1 10 20 =A1+B1 now C1 will give me 30, but if i want to know what B1 will need to be if i want C1 to show 50, i can use goal seek Set C1 to value of 50 by changing B1 Hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Jamie Hart" <jhart@emaple.net> wrote in message news:u3OscELdEHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Can a...

How do I Remove a Split from my Comments in Excel 2003? #2
I have set my current workbook to split/freeze the first column and first 2 rows. Now, when I add a comment to the second row (in any column) my comments are cut off if I should scroll down. I don't ever remember the behavior before. And I don't know what I've done to enable it but it's really annoying. How do turn this off ? ...

How to automate increasing the form cache registry/file etc...
I want to roll out a batch file to make a number of tweaks to CRM The body of it would go REGEDIT /S Kerberosefix.reg REGEDIT /S ForceFormreload.reg REGEDIT /S OutlookFix.reg It would also rename OSA.exe to OSA.bad Remove OSA.exe From the startup menu I need help finding a way to use my batch file to increase the Outlook Form cache from the default 4MB to 50 MB.. This makes CRm more stable and faster for communications. I dont want to manually do this, as it time consuming, are my end users would not be reliable in doing it themselves. I also want to make another batch file or button that...

Contacts in Exchange #2
We are running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. I have tried to give a user rights to her boss's contacts through delegation and setting the rights on the contacts folder, however, while she has the rights she is unable to add or see her boss's contact folder in her Outlook. She can see it if she runs a search, but can not permanently put it in her list of contact folders. IS there a way that I can accomplish this through the back-end? Thanks, Joseph rapoport jrapoport@insurmark.net ...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2
I get the following error when I try going offline. The excelption is taken from Event Viewer of the Client Machine. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMOfflineSync Event Category: None Event ID: 6000 Date: 3/25/2008 Time: 5:03:33 PM User: N/A Computer: WINXP Description: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. saInsert failed for entity 'ActivityMimeAttachment', batchRows=0 with exception System.FormatException: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument li...

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error
Does anyone know why VLOOKUP and Compare formulas don't work o information originating from a CSV file? I've tried copying an pasting values only (to leave behind any formatting), but it doesn' help. Through countless tests, I've narrowed it down to the CSV file bein the only possible cause -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi ajpowers, Just a guess but the imported data may have leading or trailing spaces or are numbers stored as text. You could use the formula =A1=D1 to see if you get a true or false, where A1 is the lookup value and D1 ia the CVS valu...

ERROR: 5.1.2 or other punctuation after the recipient's email address.
I am trying to send a email to a group address I created with 58 addresses in it. When I try to send the email to this group I get the following Error: "5.1.2 or other punctuation after the recipient's email address. " I have gone back to the original contact cards and made sure the addresses were all legal. I have re-created the list, same problem I have re-booted, same thing. Any thoughts out there? Thanks Dunc My wife and I have MBP's and are both running MS Office for Mac's, Entourage 12.2.3. Both of us have messages cued up in the out boxes th...

Problem with named range for a large spreadsheet in Excel 2007
Hello, I am trying to generate a large Excel spreadsheet apprx. 10000 rows and 40 columns. I am generating defined name section in the Workbook.xml part of the XLSM package. Here is a sample entry from that section <definedName name="_._44802_._0_._0_._0_._top_line" localSheetId="0" hidden="1">Sheet1!$B$2</definedName> Although the generation goes fine, I can not open the spreadsheet as the Excel throws an error message saying the package is corrupt. But this is not the case if the spreadsheet is small say, 200 rows by 10 columns. ...

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2
I have two cells: A1 - manual value B1 - automatic increment = B1 + A1 How can i make it? (=error: circular reference) Note: I have this formula repeated in some lines: = B2 + A2 = B3 + A3 .. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...