there used to be an email "+" folder field

	Some time ago there used to be some standard that if your
email address was a@b.com, you could give out your address as
a+c@b.com and when your email arrived it went into a folder named
"c". In effect, anything after the "+" was like a comment. I thought
it was a cool feature at the time, but I could nto get it to work.  I
think this would be a great feature to help us tame email, no?

				- = -
    Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
	      BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
       http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---
    [Health Reform means abolishing FDR's insurance tax exemption]
 [To stop SPAM, Charge net-postage] [Abolish 16th (Inc Tx) Amendment]
0
vjp2.at (2)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:16:30 +0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

>	Some time ago there used to be some standard that if your
>email address was a@b.com, you could give out your address as
>a+c@b.com and when your email arrived it went into a folder named
>"c". In effect, anything after the "+" was like a comment. I thought
>it was a cool feature at the time, but I could nto get it to work.  I
>think this would be a great feature to help us tame email, no?

Yes, it works, some of the time.  When you say you could not get it to
work, exactly how did it NOT work?

Unfortunately, it won't work even if it works.

There's nothing to stop you from giving out your address as a+c@b.com.
Many (not all) email systems would deliver this to a@b.com.

But some email systems won't let you put a+c@b.com in the From: field
of your outgoing email.

Even if that was solved, and all email systems would do the forwarding
correctly, spammers know about this trick, too.  In other groups,
people have described how they have never given out the address
a@b.com, only a+c@b.com, yet they still get spam addressed to a@b.com.

There's another way to achieve the same effect:  give out a new
"disposable" address any time you don't trust the person you're giving
it too.  That way, when it ends up in the hands of a spammer, (a) you
know exactly where it came from, (b) you can complain to the person
responsible, and (c) you can discard the address.  Many ISP's offer
multiple addresses, and I use a third party mail service that allows
unlimited email addresses (they all go to the same mailbox).

Thank the spammers.

--
Steve M - unspam@houston.rrdirt.com (remove dirt for reply)

  China, [South] Korea and the US are the spam axis of evil.  -- Lodewijk Asscher,
  head of research at Amsterdam´┐Żs Institute for Information Law (IViR), 30 May 2004
0
unspam1 (20)
6/21/2004 3:47:42 AM
[fu-t set -- cross-posted articles should always have a followup-to specified]

in comp.mail.headers i read:

>	Some time ago there used to be some standard that if your
>email address was a@b.com, you could give out your address as
>a+c@b.com and when your email arrived it went into a folder named
>"c". In effect, anything after the "+" was like a comment.

this is an extension offered by some mta's, not something which has been
standardized.  other mta's offer something similar, but with a dash.  still
others do other things, some seemingly quite different.

--
a signature

Why is .NET 2.0 required to deploy an app using VC2005 C++ Setup project?
I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default. My app does not need the framework (at least this is what I think). If I clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a machine with ..NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining about missing .NET 2.0. I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my app. Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework? Thanks Hi, > I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the > p...

VC++ 2005
I am attempting to compile a project in Visual Studio 2005 which compiles and links properly in VC++ 6.0. It seems to have problems with C++ i/o functions. Here is the error I get: g:\src\analyzer\digitdialpages.h(136) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'm_InFile' Line 136: ifstream m_InFile; The statment: include <fstream> is at the top of the source file. Some assistance would be helpful. We didn't have any problems with using ifstream or ofstream in VC++ 6.0. Thanks. On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:22:47 -0500, "Raj Kulkarni...

Deleting 500,000+ Emails From Same Mailbox
We have an Administrator network account that has an associated Exchange emailbox. This mailbox currently has over 500,000 email messages that I need to delete. This is too many to delete inside of Outlook. Is there a batch process or some easy way to delete all of the email messages in the Inbox (or any other folder) of a particular mailbox without having to delete the network account OR the mailbox? Any help would be appreciated. you can run exmerge against the mailbox in "archive" mode to get rid of them... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mike Mingus" <Mike Min...

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
I've a few issues with CRM 4.0 and I was wondering if you could help me. I created a sample data so you can better understand my needs. "Account Name", "Contact Full Name, Role, Primary Contact, Email "Company 1", "John Smith ", "President", "No", "js@company1.com "Company 1", "Michael Smith", "Director ", "Yes", "mic@company1.com "Company 2", "Wayne Smith", "President", "Yes", "way@company2.com "Company 2", "John Smith &...

cannot use alt+s as shortcut in outlook with word
When I use word to edit mails in outlook I can't use alt+s shortcut to send emails. I noticed that I can use alt+s+s when I am in the subject field, but not when I am in the text field. do you have any addins or utilities that may have remapped the alt+s key? did you customize the toolbar and add alt+s as a shortcut? Usually when you need to hit the key twice, it means the first one is selecting a different command... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdoliv...

Reading one Record at a time till i reach EOF in VC++ using ODBC
Hi, i am working on Vc++6.0. I hve a req where in i need to read one record at a time till i reach EOF from the database.Can anyone tell me how to do this Very urgent Thanks Use CDatabase and CRecordSet classes. // Embed a CDatabase object // in your document class CDatabase m_dbCust; // Connect the object to a // read-only data source where // the ODBC connection dialog box // will always remain hidden m_dbCust.OpenEx( _T( "DSN=MYDATASOURCE;UID=JOES" ), CDatabase::openReadOnly | CDatabase::noOdbcDialog ); CRecordSet rs;rs.m_pDatabase=&m_db...

How to Save buffer into jp2(JPEG 2000) format file?
Hi, I am using VC++ 6.0 with directshow 9.0 to capture video from the camera. Using GDI+ Bitmap class and i am saving the buffer image into JPEG format file. When i use GDI+, i can save the buffer easily into JPEG file. But now i need to save the buffer into JPEG 2000(jp2) format file. And also if anyone knew how to use CXImage free Library or Jasper Library??? do you have a sample code for this? http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/cximage.asp http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper/ Pls do the needful. Thanks, keyesar. ...

how to use PRINTER_CHANGE_ADD_PRINTER flag in VC++
Hi, currently my application giving informationlike no. printers connected to the system. while running my application if i installed new printer, how can i get new printer is installed and printer information? regards, Ravindra I've never tried this, but I think you can set up a thread that uses a waiting mechanism to wait for the change notification: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms687069(VS.85).aspx Then you can call this to see what actually happened. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536031(VS.85).aspx You'd have to have your own mechanism in your threa...

Schedule+ Free Busy System Folders "Access Denied"
Have you guys seen issues where full exchange administrators are unable to delete empty schedule+ free busy folders from system manager....they are constantly prompted for authentication I'm working on an Exchange 2003 SP2 site consolidation and migration from 10 exchange 5.5 sites to 2 Exchange 2003 Admin Groups...using the site consolidation features, the free busy folders from the consolidated sites remain in the Org, but they have empty replica lists due to the consolidated mailboxes now have new legacyexchangedn and use just the two admin groups free busy folders. So, I have ...

Best book for creating GUI using Visual C++ (VS 2003)
Hi all, First of all sorry for the cross post. I was not sure which ng would be most appropriate. I need a book that gives guidelines on good GUI design (preferably, comes with a few template GUIs one can extend). There seems to be so many books out there, I would be very grateful to hear from any experienced GUI designer out there - who can recommend a book for designing GUIs. A bit of background of my self. I am a C/C++ developer, but have some basic GUI design experience using VBs Form Designer. I have a little experience of MFC but I'm hoping to generate a lot of the boiler p...

Using + in formulas
Some individuals at my office use a + in front of cells when they ar putting calculations within a cell. E.g. =+a1-b2 versus =a1+b2. First why do they do this? Second, in a recent spreadsheet, I came across the formul =AVERAGE(+X:Y). The result of this formula gave me the average of onl the first cell within the range (i.e. +X... the result of the cell wa simply X). Second, why is this? Basically, what does the + do in the front of formulas and what benefi does it provide? I tried to search Excel help and even tried to find the answer i Google to now avail. Thanks in advance! -- kylesi ...

Send Message(string) c# exe to vc++ exe(unmanaged) using WindowsSendMessage
I tried followinf but working fine fo int but how to do it for string using user custome message in c# [DllImport("User32.dll")] public static extern int FindWindow(string strClassName,string strWindowName); [DllImport("User32.dll")] public static extern Int32 SendMessage( int hWnd, // handle to destination window int Msg, // message int wParam, // first message parameter [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string lParam); public const int WM_APP = 0x8000; public const int WM_DELETEALL =WM_APP + 0x100; int wnd=FindWindow(null,"TestMfcSendMsgExe"); For...

Sync Laptop+Desktop; Storage Folders, Pop?
I use WLM on my desktop computer. For infrequent travel with a laptop, I want to bring my email along. My Hotmail, contacts, & calendar all sync automatically for WLM on both machines. Very nice. But "Storage folders" and any folders within a Pop account seem "locked down" to a single machine. I cannot find ANY way to easily, automatically sync them. This was so easy before, when I was using Outlook Express with Microsoft's "Sync Toy" - I'd just sync before leaving & after I returned. One workaround I tried, using the "...

Send Email Template to both emailaddress1+emailaddress1
Hello, In the Contact record there are two email addresses (that are default in the crm system) email1 - his schema fields name is "emailaddress1" email2 - his schema fields name is "emailaddress2" when we send an email to contacts by using Email Template the email sent to email1 (emailaddress1). is there an option to decide which email adresses the email template will use? OR is there an option to use both addreses (the email template will send to both emails addreses - email1 + email2) best regards, Amir Levi ...

Folders with "+" character dump some email to Inbox @ update

How we can Include Pay Pal Payment Buttons in Yahoo and Hotmail Email Messages using vc++
Help me in finding solution of "How we can Include Pay Pal Payment Buttons in Yahoo and Hotmail Email Messages using vc++" try to provide code also. "rajeev" <rajeevsrivastava25@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154721043.225851.171830@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Help me in finding solution of > "How we can Include Pay Pal Payment Buttons in Yahoo and Hotmail Email > Messages using vc++" > try to provide code also. What does this mean? Is it a MFC app? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com may be he wants to know how to ...

using VB CListCtrl from a C++ dll
First off, I want to acknowledge my general lack of understanding of the nuts and bolts of the windows messaging model. I saw a similar post ("How to operate the ListCtl in a worker thread") that alluded to thread issues being my problem. To the point: I have a VB app (actually Excel VBA). I load a UserForm (uf1) modeless and push a command button on this form that initiates a call to an MFC C++ dll function. I would like to load a VB ListView control on uf1 while processing within the c++ dll. Given that I can send the hWnd of the ListView control to the dll, I assumed I...

unmanaged C++
Hi, I'm using MSXML6 in my C++ windows service app. that will be running on Server 2003 (NOT a web server!). I'm new to some of this, so bear with me. I am looking for a means of posting an XML message to a web service that is requiring a client certificate (SSL). I have come across a few items referencing IServerXMLHTTPRequest/ServerXMLHTTP http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms762278.aspx that seem to indicate this is how to send the certificate. The examples don't seem to address my issue directly. Does someone have a "real world" example on how to do th...

VC++ .NET 2002: No Ellipse drawn in Window when using the MM_ANISOTROPIC mapping mode
Hi all I changed some lines of the Ex05a example of "Programming With Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Core Reference " (6th Edition) (Microsoft Press, 2003) by G. Shepherd with D. Kruglinski in the following way: Replaced the default MM_TEXT mapping mode with the variable-scale MM_ANISOTROPIC mapping mode in the OnDraw funtion of Ex05View.cpp file (see the attached file below). I did 'Build' successfully. I clicked '! Start Without Debuggin' and an "Ex05a-Untitled" window appeared, but it did not have the Ellipse figure!!?? Please help and tell me what I should d...

Is it possible to use USB ports in Visual C++ 6.0 (MFC)?
Best regards bayX wrote: > Best regards It depends on what you mean by "use." -n "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote: >bayX wrote: > >> Best regards > > It depends on what you mean by "use." > > -n Now that is really helpful, how about "communicate with USB device" ? In my case I have a GUID and driver supplied by the device manufacturer, but cannot see how to use them. Colin I have a gsm phone. I want to write a program that will send SMS. My gsm phone can be connected to my computer from USB . S...

How to copy a file to webDav folder in VC++
I want copy a file from local folder to a webDav folder in My Network Places of WindowsXP. I can drag and drop with mouse to copy it to webDav folder, but can't copy it with copy of Dos or copyFile of VC++. So i want to use the methode of drag and drop in WindowsXP. But I don't known, how can i call it? Which API should i use? Whith head file should i include? thank you very much! berg ...

using MFC and VC++ to read web cam
Hi, I am looking for a method to read in video from a webcam. I came across the avicap example on the msdn website. Unfortunately it uses the SDK directly. I am no Windows programmer, and I'm more comfortable with MFCs. I want to test my image processing routines on the current frame obtained from the webcam. I guess I'll need a handle to the image/bmp structure from the current frame. After processing the frame, I want to paint it in a window, instead of the original frame. But first, how do I go about reading the frame? Any help or redirection would be appreciated. Sincerely BS ...

Multiple Yes/No fields + IIF
I am working in Access 2003 and trying to figure out a query from my table that contains multiple Yes/No fields. The user can select Yes or No for up to five shop names. I am trying to run one query with the following IIF statement in the criteria row of the query for each field name instead of 5 queries and 5 reports running off each query: IIf([Forms]![frmSelectShop]![cboShopName]=1,Yes,No) The User would select the shop from a dialog form that would run the report based on the query Now, each record could have more than one Shop selected as "Yes" or "No". If I wa...

Can I put 2+ rows from excel on a single label using mailmerge
I am trying to develop a pricing label. I have tried the Microsoft mail merge function as well as Avery's Design Pro software. I need to put several lines from an excel sheet (XP) on one label before going to the next label. Is it possible to to this using any formatting or anthing in excel? Please help. You can expand a cell so that all the info you type is in one cell but on several lines. What you do is type what you want on the top line, then press "Alt" and "Enter" at the same time. This will drop your cursor down one line within the same cell. "...

Manually creating Schedule+ Free Busy Folders
I received the updatefb tool from MS. It ran correctly and even populated the meeting requests for the users. Unfortunately, it didn't created the Scheduled+ /FreeBusy folder and the users continue to get the following error: "Unable to update public free/busy data. The contents of this public folder are currently unavailable. Either the Microsoft Exchange Server computer servicing this public folder is down or the public folder has not been replicated to this site. See your administrator" Is there a way to manually create this folder? I will attempt to bring the old serve...