The set of folders could not be opened. #2

Using Outlook 2003, with latest Office updates applied and using WinXP. I am
getting the following error message:

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window.
The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact
your administrator if this condition persists."

This happens about once on a daily basis. This is what I am doing to get
over it right now - once this message comes up, I re-boot
(Start-Shutdown-Restart) my machine and everything works fine after the
re-boot. If I just Log Off instead of restarting the computer, the problem
does *not* go away.

Anyone seen this before or have a solution.

Jay

0
jasrai (1)

"Jasminder Rai" <jasrai@telus.net> wrote in message news:<euO#0XHeEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Using Outlook 2003, with latest Office updates applied and using WinXP. I am
> getting the following error message:
>
> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window.
> The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact
> your administrator if this condition persists."
>
> This happens about once on a daily basis. This is what I am doing to get
> over it right now - once this message comes up, I re-boot
> (Start-Shutdown-Restart) my machine and everything works fine after the
> re-boot. If I just Log Off instead of restarting the computer, the problem
> does *not* go away.
>
> Anyone seen this before or have a solution.
>
> Jay

I had this problem when I first installed Outlook 2003.  I went to the
Microsoft Knowledge base and found nothing relevant.  They give some
information about PST's and locations, but that's not the problem if
your situation is intermittent.

In my case, I have a MAPI application running.  My Cybergenie voice
mail and phone system access my Outlook address book for the phone
directory and contacts, and my voice mail goes to Outlook. Also, the
company that made it, Cygnion, is out of business.

It turned out that if I turn off my phone system, then Outlook
launched just fine.  It may be a matter of shutting things down in
your system until you find the problem. If something is running as a
service, you might not see it as an "application" and it might be part
of the problem.

The other issue is that once I started Outlook, I could no longer
bring up my phone system. One ran or the other, but not both at the
same time.

It turned out that the MAPI application was looking for the registry
key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Office Outlook

But the new Outlook 2003 created the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

When I took the contents of the second key and exported them, created
the other key, and imported(and overwrote an essentially blank key
with)it, then it got things running.

I don't know if this key issue is unique to my software, but I suspect
that there are other MAPI clients out there that could have the same
or a similar problem. If it is only happening sometimes, that's
consistent with what you would get with a MAPI application that is
sometimes open.

Do you have any software that syncs to a hand held device or anything
else that reads your Outlook 2003 data? If so, try shutting it down in
the prescribed way, and see if it helps.  If you isolate it to a
specific piece of software, then check with that vendor.
0
waidoan (5)

Setting Default Domain for Logon
I am running OWA for Exchange 2003 and I have set the default domain for the default web site to mywindows2000domain.com. When I logon to OWA this doesn't seem to be working because when the user goes to logoff they get a username and pw prompt. If they login with mywindows2000domain\username when they login it works fine. I would like to not use the mywindows2000domain\username format. Any idea? Cheers! try using mywindows2000domain (netbious name of the domain) instead of mywindows2000domain.com (fqdn of the domain) -rp- "Rio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel
I need to know how to take a known inch per Minute and divide by a known measurement and displayed as minutes and seconds. The answer of the equation (minutes and seconds) is where I'm having trouble. Actually, you need to divide your measured length by the known rate (inches per minute). This gives you the number of minutes, but to display using m:ss format you need to divide by 1440, the number of minutes per day (since Excel counts time as the fraction of a day). So put your measurement in A2, your rate in B2, and this formula into C2: =A2/B2/1440 Then format C2 using a custom...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

hyperlink open in new window
How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_13.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: www.davidbartosik.com enter to win Pub 2003: www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx "sharin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2180BE5B-1783-4F9A-A167-D8E3BF34B3CC@microsoft.com... > How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? ...

RMS 2.0 Integration Approach
Hi everyone, I have Commerce Server 2009 in place and would like to integrate it with RMS2.0. What are some ways in general that an external system can integrate with RMS2.0? Regards. ...

Outlook does not open all of a sudden
I have Office 2007 Business I cannot open Outlook all of a sudden. I get a message that The Outlook Folders cannot be opened, that the server is not available (?). I run Microsoft Office Diagnostic with no apparent problems, I tried to fix , to uninstall and reinstall. All other programs ( Excel, Word, power point, etc) are working fine. Can anybody give me a suggestion before I get another hard disk and reinstall everything? What is the exact error message? Paraphrasing does not help. Have you tried a new mail profile? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the grou...

Transposing Sun and Moon rise and set times... #3
Hello, I have data that represents, rise and set times for the sun and moon over a time span of 12 months. Data for each consecutive month appear in joining columns as follows: January February Day Sun_Rise Sun_Set Moon_Rise Moon_Set Sun_Rise Sun_Set Moon_Rise Moon_Set 1 0700 1625 1400 0255 0705 1710 0901 2114 2 0701 1625 1429 0413 0704 1711 0924 2229 3 0702 1625 1504 0532 0703 1713 0947 2343 4 0703 1625 1548 0650 0...

Dotnet Lead Engineers opening in Pune
Hi, We are Bangalore based leading HR consulting company retained by top IT companies like SAP Labs, TCS, i-Gate, AztecSoft, GE, Symphony Services, HCL to hunt talent. Excellent opening for Lead Engineers at AT CMM Level-5 & Largest IT Company for their Pune ODC. Mandatory Skills: 1) ASP.Net 2) C# 3) SQL Programming 4) Must have strong experience on ASP/VB script and good exposure to ASP.NET. 5) Should have min two years experience in Classic ASP/VB script and min one year experience on ASP.NET 6) Should be willing to work on classic ASP development 7) Good knowledge of MS Sql server, H...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Public Folders have disappeared
Unfortunately I have created a problem for myself. I was modifying the permissions for the public folders as follows: 1. Navigated to Administrative Groups > First Administrative Group > Folders; 2. Right-clicked on the Public Folder Tree and selected Properties; 3. Selected the Security tab; 4. Removed all groups from the security listing (excluding administrator), thinking this would stop users seeing the folders in Outlook; 5. Restarted the server; 6. Encountered the following problem: I now find that the public folders have disappeared from the Exchange system manager. However, ...

Trouble Printing Checks #2
I'm using Money 2004. I have a list of checks to be printed, but no 'Print Checks' on the left side panel. When I go the 'File' menu to print checks it gives me a "You don't have any accounts with checks to be printed." message. What can I do? David See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=91. "David" wrote: > What can I do? I would run a file repair to see if that will correct the number do indicate the number of checks that have been set to "print". "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

How to set Recipient Limits option under Message Delivery for certain users
Dear All, Quick Question: under Global Settings --> Message Delivery , under the properites of Message Delivery there is an option called "Recipient Limits" which will limit the number of recipients per single email, the defaul number is 5000 recipient per single email. now, if i applied this settings and i mentioned 30 recipients, these settings will be applied to all the users under my exchange server, becasue it is under the Global Settings of Exchange. Now, how can i exclude some VIP users from such settings ? i don't want this Global Settings for recipient limits...

can't delete mailbox #2
I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? Wait until AD replicates then you'll be able to purge the mailboxes with the red Xs "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23fkHzmOMGHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I >can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? > Right click on Mailboxes in ESM and select Run Cleanup Agent. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange M...

Product list in CRM v.1.2
Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can i attach an excle sheet that contains my products instead of loging each product one by one as i have over 25,000 products to log? -- Regards, Marwa I'm afraid not. This is a major pain point for a lot of people and I do not kno of any 3rd party add-ons that have addressed it either. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "marwa" <marwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C062CF1E-EEF8-43B4-AC31-F299BF707252@microsoft.com... Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can ...

Open document from previous version
How do I open a document from a previous version of Publisher..I have 2000? Are you certain it is an earlier version? Do you have Norton? Disable "script blocking" and try again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jan" <jan0704@msn.com> wrote in message news:44cc01c4a49e$a8fcbbe0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? Jan wrote: > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? If it ...

Change opening postion /Form
From my Main Form I have a control that open a smaller form overtop of main Form, It always opens in the middle of my Main Form, can I reposition it to open higher on my Main Form, Thanks for any Help.....Bob On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:13:29 +1200, Bob V wrote: > From my Main Form I have a control that open a smaller form overtop of main > Form, It always opens in the middle of my Main Form, can I reposition it to > open higher on my Main Form, > Thanks for any Help.....Bob Look up the MoveSize method in VBA help. DoCmd.MoveSize 2 *1440, 3 * 1440 will position a form 2 inch...

OS version 10.2
In a previous post, I was told that Office 98 for MAC will not work on OS 10.2 and was directed toward getting Office 2004. In the system requirements for 2004, it says that it is for users who have 10.2.8 or later. Is OS 10.2 upgradable to 10.2.8 or do I need to go with Office X or 2001 for OS 10.2? Heath Kuszak IT Manager Verdone Landscape Architects, Inc. Heath Kuszak <heath@verdonelandarch.com> wrote: > In a previous post, I was told that Office 98 for MAC will not work on OS > 10.2 and was directed toward getting Office 2004. In the system requirements > for 2004, ...

Matrix #2
Hiya, I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble. What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart): Data source: Project Name Value(1-10) Difficulty(1-10) Proj1 5 8 Proj2 8 10 Proj3 1 8 Proj4 3 ...

When will CRM 2.0 be released?
I was wondering if anyone has a firm(ish) idea when version 2 will be released. I've heard 2005, but that is a little vague. My company has identified a few gaps that should be resolved with the 2005 expected enhancements. If the release is put off until this time next year, we will go ahead and correct now. However, we would like to hold off wasting time\money is Microsoft will deliver within the 1st two quarters of 2005. Thoughts? The latest word is that CRM 2005 should be release sometime in calendar Q2 of 2005. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------...

Spinning Beach Ball
I seem to notice a correlation between seeing the spinning beach ball more often after launching MS Word for OSX. I removed the PDFMaker.Lib and this improved the performance a great deal, but still noticing the SBB more often after launching Word. Anyone know about this? Many Word issues are related to corrupt Word Settings or Normal Template. You could try removing the Word Settings file, then testing. The Normal Template could be renamed, then test. Be sure Word is closed before removing or changing any files. You could also consider running the Remove Office utility and reinstalling Offi...

Storage Folder 04-05-10
How do I unhide / create the storage folders? I have this folder on another computer that imported everything from Outlook Express it apparently was created automatically. I thought by using alt v that I could unhide the "storage folders" but could not find it. Thanks ...

Obtaining Path of the file/folder ?
Hi I have an mfc dialog based demo application. I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Explorer's context menu, which i m able to successfully by making some additions to the registry. Now whenever the user right clicks on some folder/file,the context menu displays my application's entry which gets executed when the user clicks on it. How can i obtain the path of the file/folder on which the user right clicked ? Waiting for suggestions Regards >I have an mfc dialog based demo application. >I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Expl...

How to recursively clear all the filters applied to a folder
Hello, In Outlook 2002 I would like to recursively clear all applied filters. I remember applying a filter to a folder but it seems Outlook applied the filters to all folders. Now the only solution I found to clear all filters is to clear them one by one by selecting View > Current View > Customize... > Filter... > Clear All. Isn't there a clear all feature for all views ? JM. You could reset all views to their defaults and delete all custom views = by starting Outlook with the /cleanviews switch. But there's no magic = method for keeping all view settings except the f...

VBA code to hide all the tables on form open
I don't want people to use a blank mdb to import my tables. I manually hide them all. However, after running the macro to delete all records and import from .txt, the table become unhide. I do the importation on daily basis. I posted to macro newsgroup and asked way to hide table after importation action macro but got no answer. Maybe it cannot be done in macro? If so, I need VBA code to hide all the tables on form open. Thanks. Hiding your tables won't prevent people from being able to import them into a blank mdb. All they have to do is ensure that they've set the datab...

Folder Context menu in Outlook
Hello, I have develop an Outlook COM Add-in with C#. This add-in use the Outlook Object Model and add a new menu in the Folder Context Menu command bar. The problem is when the current folder is for example "Inbox", and I click right on another folder, for example "MyFolder", I'm not able to retrieve the MAPIFolder of "MyFolder". Anybody have an idea? Thank you NotAMail ...