Stripped news attachment

On a Corel newsgroup, there was a message with a WPD attachment. However, my
newsreader stripped this attachment.

I understand that with the various MS patches that EXE and such type
attachments might be stripped, but I'm surprised about the WPD file. (I was
able to get it by forwarding the message to myself.)

Anyone know why the above happened...or if it should?

Thx
John Olson
Ottawa

0
john9482 (3)

Sorry for the addition, but perhaps the following info is important:
I have Windows XP Professional SP1 with Outlook 2000 SP3 (Internet Mail Only
version).

"John Olson" <john@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> On a Corel newsgroup, there was a message with a WPD attachment. However,
my
> newsreader stripped this attachment.
>
> I understand that with the various MS patches that EXE and such type
> attachments might be stripped, but I'm surprised about the WPD file. (I
was
> able to get it by forwarding the message to myself.)
>
> Anyone know why the above happened...or if it should?
>
> Thx
> John Olson
> Ottawa

0
john9482 (3)
10/17/2003 6:40:10 PM
Hi - Outlook doesn't read news; it uses OE for that. If you open the
message, click forward, you can open the attachment, and not have to disable
the attachment blocking feature outright (if you want to do the latter, go
to tools | options | security and tick the box.)

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q291387

Also note:
This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs.
Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different
program, despite its similar name..

You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an
Outlook Express news group.

Try posting in one of these newsgroups:
microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac for OE for Macintosh

for all the microsoft.public newsgroups).

A good website for information on OE is:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/

John Olson wrote:
> Sorry for the addition, but perhaps the following info is important:
> I have Windows XP Professional SP1 with Outlook 2000 SP3 (Internet
> Mail Only version).
>
> "John Olson" <john@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> On a Corel newsgroup, there was a message with a WPD attachment.
>> However, my newsreader stripped this attachment.
>>
>> I understand that with the various MS patches that EXE and such type
>> attachments might be stripped, but I'm surprised about the WPD file.
>> (I was able to get it by forwarding the message to myself.)
>>
>> Anyone know why the above happened...or if it should?
>>
>> Thx
>> John Olson
>> Ottawa

0
lanwench (7567)
10/17/2003 7:31:12 PM
Thanks for the info.
I thought this news reader from separate from OE since it says Microsoft
Outlook Newsreader at the top...and the application selected under Internet
tools for news is MS Outlook,  not OE.
john olson

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Hi - Outlook doesn't read news; it uses OE for that. If you open the
> message, click forward, you can open the attachment, and not have to
disable
> the attachment blocking feature outright (if you want to do the latter, go
> to tools | options | security and tick the box.)
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q291387
>
> Also note:
> This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs.
> Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different
> program, despite its similar name..
>
> You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to
an
> Outlook Express news group.
>
> Try posting in one of these newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x
> microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac for OE for Macintosh
>
> If those groups aren't carried on the news server that's carrying this
group
> try using msnews.microsoft.com (MS's public news server that's the source
> for all the microsoft.public newsgroups).
>
> A good website for information on OE is:
> http://www.tomsterdam.com/
>

> John Olson wrote:
> > Sorry for the addition, but perhaps the following info is important:
> > I have Windows XP Professional SP1 with Outlook 2000 SP3 (Internet
> > Mail Only version).
> >
> > "John Olson" <john@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> >> On a Corel newsgroup, there was a message with a WPD attachment.
> >> However, my newsreader stripped this attachment.
> >>
> >> I understand that with the various MS patches that EXE and such type
> >> attachments might be stripped, but I'm surprised about the WPD file.
> >> (I was able to get it by forwarding the message to myself.)
> >>
> >> Anyone know why the above happened...or if it should?
> >>
> >> Thx
> >> John Olson
> >> Ottawa

0
john9482 (3)
10/18/2003 12:05:25 AM
Yes, but if you go to the newsreader's Help menu and look at the About
command, it says About Microsoft Outlook Express...and if you click on it,
you get the Outlook Express version info.  :-)

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

*** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered --
please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***

In news:mt%jb.10559$PM2.1310925@news20.bellglobal.com,
John Olson wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
> I thought this news reader from separate from OE since it says
> Microsoft Outlook Newsreader at the top...and the application
> selected under Internet tools for news is MS Outlook,  not OE.
> john olson
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:uir%23saOlDHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi - Outlook doesn't read news; it uses OE for that. If you open the
>> message, click forward, you can open the attachment, and not have to
>> disable the attachment blocking feature outright (if you want to do
>> the latter, go to tools | options | security and tick the box.)
>>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q291387
>>
>> Also note:
>> This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs.
>> Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite
>> different program, despite its similar name..
>>
>> You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post
>> this to an Outlook Express news group.
>>
>> Try posting in one of these newsgroups:
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x
>> microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac for OE for Macintosh
>>
>> If those groups aren't carried on the news server that's carrying
>> this group try using msnews.microsoft.com (MS's public news server
>> that's the source for all the microsoft.public newsgroups).
>>
>> A good website for information on OE is:
>> http://www.tomsterdam.com/
>>

>> John Olson wrote:
>>> Sorry for the addition, but perhaps the following info is important:
>>> I have Windows XP Professional SP1 with Outlook 2000 SP3 (Internet
>>> Mail Only version).
>>>
>>> "John Olson" <john@nospam.ca> wrote in message

Opening a WORD document attachment
Version: Older version Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Whenever I receive a WORD attachment, it automatically begins to open in Parallels. It never did this before. Check your Parallels configuration. If you share your Parallels Windows applications with the Mac, a document with a PC document type will be handed off to Parallels. Cheers On 27/04/10 2:43 AM, in article 59bb77ca.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "mjones@officeformac.com" <mjones@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: Older version Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopar...

Excel very slow to open from email attachement
I have a problem I have been fighting with and can not fix and hope someone else has been able to fix. We use Novell GroupWise as our corporate email and when our director trys to open an Excel spreadsheet from his email Excel will open but does not open that document unless you minimize excel or switch to another window. When you do that and go back to Excel, it opens right up. I have tried the Tools>Options>General tab and uncheck "Ignore other applications" and that has not made a difference. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Hi, Novell GroupWise is a long known trou...

Web Outlook won't send attachments
I am having a problem sending an attachment while using web outlook. It shows error on page, and will not allow me to send an attachment. Also I have a calander item that is blank that keeps coming up, and error message, script error, want to keep running script on this page?? FYI, just installed SP2, still didn't fix it. Any ideas? Does it work from another computer? Is anyone else on the Exchange server having this problem? Note that OWA is part of Exchange, not Outlook, so you should a) talk to your Exchange admin and b) try posting in an Exchange group. Try m.p.exchange.cli...

Outlook Strips Attachments
I have a client running outlook 2002. When he replies or forwards messages, the attachments are removed. This does not happen when he sends new messages. Can someone help? Thanks, Rich hall "Rich Hall" <rhall@spectrumcontract.com> wrote in message news:uLhzXd8BGHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have a client running outlook 2002. When he replies or forwards messages, >the attachments are removed. > This does not happen when he sends new messages. > > Can someone help? > > Thanks, > Rich hall > Replies are different to forwards. Look specif...

EXCEL ATTACHMENTS OPEN WEIRDLY
When I receive an Excel attachment in Outlook (both Office XP), and I double-click on it, instead of opening the file immediately, it will tell me it can't find: c:\My Documents.exe. Make sure the file is loaded (blah, blah, blah, etc). Then in the next pop up box it can't find: c:\Local Settings.exe and on and on until the entire path (c:\My Documents\Local Settings\Temporary INternet Folder, etc) it gets to the end of the string and then it not only opens the file but starts a new instance of Excel! I then have to save it to my hard drive, close that instance of Excel, s...

Attachments seem to get lost when using a contact from the address book
Hello there, Weird prob here... Setup: W2k domain, Exch W2k3 on separate server with McAfee Groupshield Problem: When some internal people try to send mail to a contact, with email alias user@domainX.com, that actually points to user@domainY.com, the mail gets sent, but without any kind of attachments. When those people send an email directly to user@domainY.com, it arrives like it should. The obvious question then is: Where do the attachments go when one uses the alias user@domainX.com?! And what to do about it? Is it something antivirus related? The event logs nor the exchange message...

Attachments being removed from only one sender domain
This one has me stumped. Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. I have one remote user who cannot receive attachments if sent from one particular company. Anyone who sends from that domain gets the same results. They can send to anyone else in our company and the attachments come through fine. I was testing by having the sender CC me and I got the attachments, but the main recipient didn't. It's not a file size issue, looked at that. The recipient has no rules set. They get the same file types (Excel in this case) from others, just not that particular sending domain. Suggestions anyon...

I keep loosing graphics in news sheet
Hi I have an A4 news sheet and each time I paste a couple of graphics into the page, save it and go to email it, the graphics have disappeared I have done this many times before, updating last years news sheet with dates, new info & graphics and haven't had this prob before I'm beginning to think it's something to do with the setup of the page I'm updating. I have added a second page and the same thing is happening Would anyone know what could be causing this or how I should go about discovering the cause? Using Office 2003 & WINXP -- Martin ���� Read the third F...

Stripping leading zeros
Why does Excel 2007 insist upon stripping leading zeros? Here's an example: Assume this data in a column: ABC0001 ABC0002 ABC0003 Even if this column is defined to be text, if you do a group replace of ABC to nothing, what will left is 1 2 3 NOT 0001 0002 0003 which is the desired result. If you edit individual cells, the leading zeros are preserved. But using replace, the leading zeros are removed. On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:34:18 -0700 (PDT), "macsmaker@... wrote in microsoft.public.excel: >Why does Excel 2007 insist upon stripping leading zeros? Here's an >example: >Assu...

Unable to send attachments to specific contact
Hi all, We are running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2007. I have one workstation that tried to send an attachment to an outside contact through a group list. All contacts received the attachment except one. She then send a separate email directly to that address and still the contact didn't receive the attachment. Then she forwarded the email to me and I forwarded it to the outside address. Now the outside contact received the attachment. The outside contact is using Windows Live and received attachments from a variety of sources, just not form my employee. And it seems she ...

Zip file attachments
I have Exchange 2007 installed with an Edge Transport server, CA/Hub Transport server, and Mailbox CCR server. All servers have Forefront security installed. I want to allow zip file attachments through to the mailboxes and still have them scaned for viruses by Forefront. I don't see *.zip as an item in get-attachmentfilterentry, but .zip files are being stripped. How do I enable a configuration that will allow *.zip attachments and still have them scaned for viruses by Forefront? ...

Limit Message Download by Attachment Size?
Is there a way to download messages only if their attachment size is less than a certain size? I'm going to be downloading messages over a slow dial up (while on vacation) and I would prefer not to download 3MB attachments. (using Outlook 2003) -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com Brandon <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote: > Is there a way to download messages only if their attachment size is > less than a certain size? I'm going to be downloading messages ov...

Can't Send Attachments Using Outlook 2003
I am unable to send an file that has an attachment. Tried Outlook and Outlook Express. Running Win XP Pro. Works fine on my laptop running Win 2000 and Outlook 2000 ...

Viewing Attachment Sizes
Outlook 2003 The attachments are stored in the PST file. Is there a way to view a list of the attachments so I can determine their size. I could then delete attachments which take up too much space. Thank you for the feedback. That did the trick. I defined a new view definition called "My Attachment Size" using your suggestion. Is there a way to apply "My Attachment Size" View | Arrange By | Current View | My Attachment Size to every subfolder of the Inbox so when I select a subfolder "My Attachment Size" is the default view? It looks like one must manua...

Automatically Attaching Bullets
I developed a bullet format for an email I sent out a while back and now those same bullets are attaching themselves to every email I reply to in outlook. "Melody" <Melody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFF312AE-2ED0-41BA-8DE2-486CED968FA6@microsoft.com... >I developed a bullet format for an email I sent out a while back and now > those same bullets are attaching themselves to every email I reply to in > outlook. Sounds like you modified the template or stationery you're using. Can't tell, though with the derth of informatio...

Attachments
I send out an excel spreadsheet that has about 40 columns. Of the 40 want to only show 5 so I simply hide the other 35 columns. If I sen this to myself, when I open it I only see the five columns. However when others open it they see all 40. What am I doing that causes th entire spreadsheet to open up for others but keeps it the way I want i for me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Are the other users using xl97? I've seen posts that complain that xl97 won't keep the columnwidth between closing and opening. Some posters say that upgrading to SR2 helps. But others ...

How many times does a message attachment ....
Hi, I would like to know how many times an email get sent out of exchange 2000 (via our link 512kb - ADSL) if you send 150 emails with an attachment of (2MB) My question is will 150 X 2MB (300 MB) get sent out through our pipe or does it function like the single instance message storage (if yes) dose this have to be enabled? Please note that most of the emails that get sent out are to contacts who are not a user on there (there mailbox isn't on this server). Irene On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:07:50 +1000, ".:[]>>Irene .:[]>>" <irene@videoezy.com.au> wro...

news #4
a rather basic question How do I use Outlook as a news reader as I used to do wit O.express? thans Der Outlook's news reader IS Outlook Express in a news only mode. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, der gerauif asked: | a rather basic question | How do I use Outlook as a news reader as I used to do wit O.express? | thans | Der ...

Excel converts text cell contents to numbers (strips leading zeros) ???!!!
I've verified that Excel 2000 and 2008 exhibit this behavior, but open office does not. Format a cell as "Text". Enter something like "01234a" into the cell (must be some number with a leading zero and some non-numeric character). Note that the cell will contain exactly what you typed (the leading zero will be maintained). Now perform a global search/replace. Replace "a" with "" (in other words, you want to delete the "a" in the above example). Note that the "a" will disappear, and so will the leading zero. But the cell wil...

Insert Attachment to RTF Formatted E-mail
When I insert an attachment to an e-mail formatted in rich text format, Oulook 2002 drops the attachment into the body of the message. But with text and html e-mails, Outlook behaves the way I expect - putting the attachment into a separate field area in the header. I guess this has to be this way? Thanks Yes. That's just the way it is. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Barry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:046601c39ff5$6b53be00$a101280a@phx.gbl... When I insert an attachment to an e-mail formatted in rich text format, Oulook 2002 dr...

Opening Attachments
If I already have a file open in excel and I try to open an attachment from an email the attachments will not open. To get the attachment to open I must open a new session of excel. Other people I work with are always able to open attachments even if they have multiple excel files already open. Is there some setting I can change to solve this problem? Sometimes one of these works for a similar problem with MSIE. Maybe it'll fix your email, too. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then...

no attachment seen
When sending an attachment from Outlook 2003 and particularly a PDF file, users of Outlook express do not see the attachment with the email, although the total message size appears to be what you would expect if the attachmnet was recieved. Any help? Make sure you message format is plain text or html. You also might have to switch away from Word being your email editor. If neither of these suggestions work, post back since there are other things that can cause the message to go out in Rich Text format which Outlook Express doesn't support. "Phil J" <anonymous@discu...

Files in "Attach File" popup menu no longer alphabetical
Somewhere along the line (perhaps an automatic update?) the order in which files are listed in the popup menu for attaching a file has changed in Outlook. It has always been alphabetical, just as a common Explorer listing of files in a folder would be. But now it comes up in what appears to be random order. Anyone have a clue how or why this changed? Is there a way to change it back to the way it was? Did you click one of the headers to change the sort order? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions...

Opening Attachments #17
I get emails with text attached. More times than not when I either open it or save it to the desktop the email is empty. What could be going on? ...

Attachments in a mail merge document
HI I am trying to do an e-mail merge from Microsoft word. I have been successful with just formatted text. I would like to however, send an attachment along with these emails. I have tried various methods to achieve this, but have not been successful. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is Outlook 2002 (XP) capable of doing an e-mail merge with attachments? regards, Andrew No. You would have to use a 3rd party mass mailing program if you need to send attachments. Look here for a list of possible programs: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail -- ...