Strange characters in signature

Outlook 2000 is putting odd characters in my new messges,=20
but only when I have a signature defined.  This happened=20
recently, after years of no problems!  My signature now=20
looks like this: =20

=EF=BB=BF=20
David M. Foster

Without a signature, a new message looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0=20
Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=20
charset=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"=20
name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

When I add a signature, Outlook puts funny characters in,=20
like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0=20
Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;=20
charset=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"=20
name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>=EF=BB=BF=20
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>David M. Foster</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

Any ideas?  Thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)

"David Foster" said in news:633101c40149$c1599350$a301280a@phx.gbl:
> Outlook 2000 is putting odd characters in my new messges,
> but only when I have a signature defined.  This happened
> recently, after years of no problems!  My signature now
> looks like this:
>

> David M. Foster
>
> Without a signature, a new message looks like this:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=utf-8">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
> name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> When I add a signature, Outlook puts funny characters in,
> like this:
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
> Transitional//EN">
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=utf-8">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
> name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=GENERATOR>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>David M. Foster</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks!

So when you go under options to edit your signature, are you saying the
goofy characters do NOT appear in your signature?  When you edit your
signature, the goofy characters are NOT there?  Have you tried editing
your signature (delete a character and re-add it and save)?  Where is
your signature coming from?  You edit it using the editor built into
Outlook, or you point to an external file?

*** Post replies to newsgroup.  E-mail is not accepted. ***

Thanks for answering!  My reply is:  all of the above.  I=20
have tried entering the signature in the default editing=20
window and pointing to an external file.  I've created the=20
external file in MSWord, and I've also tried creating it=20
with vanilla HTML markup and Wordpad.  The funny=20
characters do not show up in the editor.  They seem to be=20
added automatically because I enabled the signature, but=20
they aren't part of the signature.  I also tried changing=20
the default character set from utf-8 to Windows Western=20
European.
messges,
>> but only when I have a signature defined.  This happened
>> recently, after years of no problems!  My signature now
>> looks like this:
>>
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> David M. Foster
>>
>> Without a signature, a new message looks like this:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
>> Transitional//EN">
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
>> charset=3Dutf-8">
>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
>> name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
>> <BODY>
>> <DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
>>
>> When I add a signature, Outlook puts funny characters=20
in,
>> like this:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
>> Transitional//EN">
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
>> charset=3Dutf-8">
>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
>> name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
>> <BODY>
>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>=EF=BB=BF
>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR>
>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial>David M. Foster</FONT></DIV>
>> <DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
>>
>> Any ideas?  Thanks!
>
>So when you go under options to edit your signature, are=20
you saying the
>goofy characters do NOT appear in your signature?  When=20
you edit your
>signature, the goofy characters are NOT there?  Have you=20
tried editing
>your signature (delete a character and re-add it and=20
save)?  Where is
>your signature coming from?  You edit it using the editor=20
built into
>Outlook, or you point to an external file?
>
>--=20
__
>*** Post replies to newsgroup.  E-mail is not accepted.=20
***
__

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
3/4/2004 3:17:20 PM
I seem to have fixed my own problem by changing the=20
default font from Arial to Times New Roman and then=20
changing it back again.  Very mysterious...

0
anonymous (74722)

Strange Outlook Behavior #2
For some reason users have started reporting that Outlook (2000) doesn't refresh/update it's display correctly. For example, new e-mails aren't shown in the inbox when they arrive. You have to click off the inbox on another folder and then it will update and show that you have new messages. A similar situation exists with outgoing mail. When you send an e-mail it does show a "(1)" next to the Outbook folder, but the '1' just stays there and makes it appear that the e-mail never left your outbox. But as soon as you click on another folder the '1'...

transpot rules and signature with discaimer
I want create un global signature dor my company. Is possible used the enviroment ex. %USERNAME% or %LASTNAME% for create personal signature? -- giuseppe Fairly certain it's not - however, that's better left to users themselves. Transport Rules should be used to accomplish stuff like disclaimers - which don't have user-specific text that needs to be customized for each message. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ------------------------------ "gdefranc" <gdefranc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Daylight saving time Strange behaviour
Hi, I have created an application where I am using CTime( int nYear,int nMonth,int nDay,int nHour,int nMin,int nSec,int nDST = -1); Constructor to change the dates to UTC before saving them to database. I have set my timezone to Easterntime(US&Canada) which is 5 hrs behind GMT. I entered the following date, 01\11\2006 12:00:00PM.When its converted to UTC,the date its showing is 01\11\2006 4:00:00PM. In 2006,DST ended on 29\10\2006,thus ideally it should show 01\11\2006 5:00:00PM. This behaviour is shown for dates ranging from 30\10\2006 to 4\11\2006. Analysing the issue,I checked my...

Creating an Outlook 2007 macro that attaches a signature to new me
Hi, I'm new to macro creation and have several questions. I created code that adds a random signature to an open message window. Now I need to find a way to execute this code every time the user creates a new message window (new message, reply, forward). How can this be done? Following up on this I need to know what I can do with the macro code to "install" it within several Outlook 2007 instances. 1) See the NewInspector event. 2) http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=28 -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories:...

how do I stop my signature from appearing in doublespace
how do I stop my signature from appearing in doublespace? stoweflake <stoweflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how do I stop my signature from appearing in doublespace? Use Shift-Enter between lines instead of Enter. -- Brian Tillman thanks Brian, but I've entered in in the signature field correctly, it's just that when it appears in a message, it is doublespaced. "Brian Tillman" wrote: > stoweflake <stoweflake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > how do I stop my signature from appearing in doublespace? > > Use Shift-Ente...

Max. no. of characters in a message box line is less in Vista when compared with XP
Hi, I have noticed in Vista, the maximum no. of characters which could be displayed in a messagebox line is 85 characters where in XP it was 131 characters. Following is a summary when compared this with OSes, OS - Max. no. of characters per messagebox line. XP - 131 Vista, Windows 7 - 85 Windows2008 Server x32 and x64 - 81 Following is a code in VB to run in Vista simulate the problem which spans into 3 lines, where it was expected in 2 lines. MsgBox ("**Maximum number of characters per messagebox line in Windows Vista is 85 characters.**"+CHR(13)+CHR(10)+"...

OWA (Exchange 2003) Japanese characters not displayed correctly
I am currently running W2K3 with E2K3sp1. I have several Japanese officers in the company that use the Japanese OS and when they are using OWA to check e-mails the japanese characters in the body of the message do not display correctly. When you view the html code the characters are correct. Any ideas? Tom ...

OWA subject blocking some characters
Hello, we have upgraded from Win2000 to Win2003 and Exch2000 tp Exch2003. The WebAccess doesn't allow us to see message with some characters such as ": % etc..". We dont have Urlsan installed. Is there a place in the reg your we can unblock these character blocking in the subject since even a repply generates a : ? ...

Mix Characters
Hello and Merry Christmas, I have the following problem: I had created my websites with Pub2003 on my PC, before few months i copy all my websites (pub files) in my laptop that i also have Pub2003, the problem is that when i try to change language ( i work with greek and english languages) i always get this message: "If you remap your keybord to another character set, you may mix characters in your publication. This mix of characters may not show correctly in a browser. If you want to map your keybord to different character set, press OK to continue. To cancel remapping ...

Signatures #31
Hi all, I need some help with my Outlook signature. It is an html table that I edited in Word, but for some reason when I use it in replies it causes the text of the original message to be wrapped around it to the right (instead of starting neatly below it as it should). Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks. ...

OWA SIGNATURE
After applying SP2 to Exchange 2003 Exterprise, in AWO when I choose Options > Messaging Options> Edit Signature the pop up only has a RED X place holder. We are not using forms. Has anyone seen this symptom? -- C.E.Morgan -- C.E.Morgan ...

AA transaction entry reference should allow more characters
The AA general transaction entry reference field should include an option to expand the number of characters in the field. We use the reference section extensively in order to help our field offices understand what is posted to the various projects. -- nonprofit ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then cl...

Bar chart with character data in x and y axis ?
Hi all How can I create a bar chart with character data in x and y axis, not number? The bar chart is used for tracking production with lot name in y axis and step name in x axis. I know the list of first step to last step but how can I create a chart like that. Need your help. Daniel danielqk@gmail.com On Wed, 23 May 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I create a bar chart with character data in x and y >axis, not number? The bar chart is used for tracking >production with lot name in y axis and step name in...

XML with chinese character problem
In my .net ,i need to generate an xml file , however, user may input a chinese character, Then , the xml will got something unknow characters. the following is my code, Does anyone know how to solve it ?? Private Sub Init() With AMSXML ..Formatting = Formatting.Indented ..Indentation = 4 ..IndentChar = " " ..WriteStartDocument() ..WriteDocType("SOGenericInterchange", Nothing, "SOGenericInterchange.dtd", Nothing) ..WriteStartElement("SOGenericInterchange") End With End Sub Private Sub InterchangeHeaderIdentification() Try With AMSXML ..WriteStartElemen...

Multiple Digital Signatures (SelfCert) in an Excel Project
I have a couple of apps in Excel that one other person needs access to. I only thought of this after I removed my digital signature and inserted hers in. Can I resign the files and still retain her signature? I don't want to risk her not being able to run these files. TIA. -- I am running on Office 2007, unless otherwise stated. ...

Email: Typing characters has delayed appearance
Outlook 2003 SP2 When typing in an email, the appearance of the characters are delayed. I type several words and they do not show, but when I stop for a few seconds it "catches up" and the words then appear. I noticed it only does this when I'm using the HTML message format as opposed to plain text. How can I fix it from doing this? Thanks, Chuck ...

Exporting Text File
I am building a text file export and I want the file to export with the following format: ID + MM + DD + Sequence Character (example 12341107A.txt for ID 1234 on 11/7/2007) What I want to occur is for the first export the sequence character is "A", but for any additional exports on that same day the character needs to be a "B" (on the second export) or a "C" (on the third export) and so on. Typically the export will only occur once unless there are issues but I need to be able to reference any existing exports and make the next file in sequence. Below is my cu...

copy paste cell character limit
Office 2K fully patched to latest updates. We have several Excel spreadsheets with cells that have several hundred words in each cell. 1) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to another cell and press PASTE in another spreadsheet not all of the words are pasted. 2) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to word and press PASTE all of the words are pasted in a text cell. 2) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to notepad and press PASTE all of the words are pasted. There are multiple cells that need to be moved but we cannot use method 2 or three becaus...

Strange Backup Error
Hello All, I have a windows 2003 server running Exchange 2003 standard and Veritas backupexec 9.1 with all SP's installed. It is only on one users mailbox and it is consistently the same errors... now, I know most folks here do not like brick level backups, but I have been running them for over a year with no problems until now. The job log states: Directory not found. Can not backup directory .User, Joe [jxu] . ..[][][][][][][][]. . . [] (a bunch of squares and garbage characters) and its subdirectories. This user had a virus a while back and it seems like there is something wrong with...

Strange characters in new mail body
After I copied data from Excel into an email I get strange characters in the body of each new mail. This is somehow connected with Word since the problem goes away if I disable "Use Microsoft Word for writing email". If anyone knows a fix for this I would be grateful. -TH ...

Strange data when merging from Excel 2003 to Word 2002
I am receiving very strange data back on a mail merge from Excel 2003 to Word 2002. I have an excel sheet that is used as a "database" for club member data. One of the members has a blank address (where there used to be an entry) and one has a Zip code entry that is a Canadian Postal Code rather than a US zip code. The columns are formatted as text, so it shouldn't make a difference, I believe. I am merging specific cells to a word 2002 document to create a club directory. When I do the merge, the address that should be blank is actually showing up as the member'...

Strange Console messages

Setting Precision when using &"Characters"& in a cell reference
I have a cell reference as follows: =E4 &" "& B7 &"%" E4 =SUM(T1:T9)/T11 B7 =F2/196 How do I restrict my answer to zero decimal places? -- FirstVette52 If you want to round to the nearest integer use =ROUND(E4,0) &" "& ROUND(B7,0) &"%" you can also use INT and TRUNC although they differ a bit (see help for them) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "FirstVette52" <(My User name is Firstvette 52, too) firstvet52@(my ISP E-mail provider is) netzero.com> wrote in message news:8F34257A-D26...

Outlook 2003 hangs when receiving attachments with non-Western (Simplified Chinese) characters in the filename
We have a problem with Outlook 2003 hanging / locking up when receiving certain emails. We have narrowed it down to emails with attachments containing non-Western characters in the attachment's filename; specifically, Simplified Chinese characters. I should also note if you rename the attachment to remove the non-Western characters before attaching/sending, there is no lock up. If we use Task Manager to kill Outlook and relaunch, everything is fine (meaning, the "suspect" emails are visible and they can be opened / read / replied to / etc). The type of attachment appea...

OWA and Japanese Character Set.
Is there something special I need to do with Exchange 2003 and Outlook Web Access to allow it to use the Japanese character set? We have a number of international students from Japan who are all trying to use Outlook Web Access with Internet Explorer set to the Japanese character set. However, whenever they try to send mail, they recieve an error. The error is in japanese which I can't read (I plan on running it by someone in the japanese language department) but the students have roughly translated it to mean it can't find a code page...or something similar. You don't state if...