Start outlook without Exchange

Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each time I 
attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.  The 
set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store count not be 
opened."

I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I lost 
the connection to the server for a few hours and received the same message. 
As soon as the exchange server was back online everything worked fine.

But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and emails 
received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the above 
message.

Thanks,
Gary 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/5/2008 7:29:03 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

11 Replies
414 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033

"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each time I 
> attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>
> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. 
> The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store count not be 
> opened."
>
> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I 
> lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the same 
> message. As soon as the exchange server was back online everything worked 
> fine.
>
> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
> above message.
 

0
vince8328 (2733)
11/5/2008 7:44:28 PM
Vince
The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.

Gary
"Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>
> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each time 
>> I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>
>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. 
>> The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store count not be 
>> opened."
>>
>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I 
>> lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the same 
>> message. As soon as the exchange server was back online everything worked 
>> fine.
>>
>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
>> above message.
>
> 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/5/2008 8:15:17 PM
Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If the 
exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline access in 
control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server is accessible. 
If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the control panel, mail 
dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst is set as default it will 
delete all mail from the server.

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
> Vince
> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>
> Gary
> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>
>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each time 
>>> I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>>
>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. 
>>> The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store count not be 
>>> opened."
>>>
>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I 
>>> lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the same 
>>> message. As soon as the exchange server was back online everything 
>>> worked fine.
>>>
>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
>>> above message.
>>
>>
>
> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/5/2008 8:33:32 PM
Diane
I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.

So if I understand correctly I cannot do anything until my Exchange server 
comes back online?

Gary
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:uj7OIX4PJHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If the 
> exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline access 
> in control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server is 
> accessible. If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the control 
> panel, mail dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst is set as 
> default it will delete all mail from the server.
>
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
> news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
>> Vince
>> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>>
>> Gary
>> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
>> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>>
>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each 
>>>> time I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>>>
>>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. 
>>>> The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store count not 
>>>> be opened."
>>>>
>>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I 
>>>> lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the same 
>>>> message. As soon as the exchange server was back online everything 
>>>> worked fine.
>>>>
>>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>>>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
>>>> above message.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/5/2008 8:45:59 PM
No, you can set the pst as default delivery and the pop account as default 
to get into outlook - that should let outlook load so you can set it to work 
offline - just remember to change the settings back before you connect to 
exchange and set exchange to work offline so its not a problem in the 
future.

If it still won't open, copy the profile and delete the exchange acct from 
the copied profile - this is also done in control panel, mail. Set it to 
always ask which profile to choose when opening.  (Or do it instead of 
changing the accounts around.)

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...
> Diane
> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.
>
> So if I understand correctly I cannot do anything until my Exchange server 
> comes back online?
>
> Gary
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
> news:uj7OIX4PJHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If the 
>> exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline access 
>> in control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server is 
>> accessible. If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the control 
>> panel, mail dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst is set as 
>> default it will delete all mail from the server.
>>
>> -- 
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>
>>
>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>> news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
>>> Vince
>>> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>>>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>>>
>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each 
>>>>> time I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>>>>
>>>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook 
>>>>> window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store 
>>>>> count not be opened."
>>>>>
>>>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago I 
>>>>> lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the 
>>>>> same message. As soon as the exchange server was back online 
>>>>> everything worked fine.
>>>>>
>>>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>>>>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
>>>>> above message.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/5/2008 8:58:48 PM
Diane
How do I set the pst as default delivery if I cannot get into Outlook?

Gary

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:%23K8YPl4PJHA.4848@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> No, you can set the pst as default delivery and the pop account as default 
> to get into outlook - that should let outlook load so you can set it to 
> work offline - just remember to change the settings back before you 
> connect to exchange and set exchange to work offline so its not a problem 
> in the future.
>
> If it still won't open, copy the profile and delete the exchange acct from 
> the copied profile - this is also done in control panel, mail. Set it to 
> always ask which profile to choose when opening.  (Or do it instead of 
> changing the accounts around.)
>
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
> news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...
>> Diane
>> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
>> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.
>>
>> So if I understand correctly I cannot do anything until my Exchange 
>> server comes back online?
>>
>> Gary
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
>> news:uj7OIX4PJHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If 
>>> the exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline 
>>> access in control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server is 
>>> accessible. If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the control 
>>> panel, mail dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst is set as 
>>> default it will delete all mail from the server.
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>
>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>
>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
>>>> Vince
>>>> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>>>>
>>>> Gary
>>>> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>>>>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>>>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>>>>
>>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each 
>>>>>> time I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook 
>>>>>> window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store 
>>>>>> count not be opened."
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago 
>>>>>> I lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the 
>>>>>> same message. As soon as the exchange server was back online 
>>>>>> everything worked fine.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>>>>>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of the 
>>>>>> above message.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>> 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/5/2008 9:34:07 PM
From control panel, mail applet.

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:mjoQk.206$Si6.20@newsfe01.iad...
> Diane
> How do I set the pst as default delivery if I cannot get into Outlook?
>
> Gary
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23K8YPl4PJHA.4848@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> No, you can set the pst as default delivery and the pop account as 
>> default to get into outlook - that should let outlook load so you can set 
>> it to work offline - just remember to change the settings back before you 
>> connect to exchange and set exchange to work offline so its not a problem 
>> in the future.
>>
>> If it still won't open, copy the profile and delete the exchange acct 
>> from the copied profile - this is also done in control panel, mail. Set 
>> it to always ask which profile to choose when opening.  (Or do it instead 
>> of changing the accounts around.)
>>
>> -- 
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>
>>
>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>> news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...
>>> Diane
>>> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
>>> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.
>>>
>>> So if I understand correctly I cannot do anything until my Exchange 
>>> server comes back online?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:uj7OIX4PJHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If 
>>>> the exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline 
>>>> access in control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server 
>>>> is accessible. If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the 
>>>> control panel, mail dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst is 
>>>> set as default it will delete all mail from the server.
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>>
>>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>>
>>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>>
>>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>>>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>> Vince
>>>>> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>>>>>
>>>>> Gary
>>>>> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>>>>>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>>>>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>>>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each 
>>>>>>> time I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following message
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook 
>>>>>>> window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store 
>>>>>>> count not be opened."
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week ago 
>>>>>>> I lost the connection to the server for a few hours and received the 
>>>>>>> same message. As soon as the exchange server was back online 
>>>>>>> everything worked fine.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails and 
>>>>>>> emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because of 
>>>>>>> the above message.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/5/2008 10:32:48 PM
"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...

> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.

There is no relationship between the number of accounts and the number of 
PSTs.
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/6/2008 12:26:05 PM
Diane
Thanks for the help.  I was able to get into Outlook.  Today our Exchange 
server is back online.  I've turned "cache mode" on so I should not have 
this problem in the future if the Exchange server goes offline.

Gary

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:%2390vxZ5PJHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> From control panel, mail applet.
>
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
> news:mjoQk.206$Si6.20@newsfe01.iad...
>> Diane
>> How do I set the pst as default delivery if I cannot get into Outlook?
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
>> news:%23K8YPl4PJHA.4848@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> No, you can set the pst as default delivery and the pop account as 
>>> default to get into outlook - that should let outlook load so you can 
>>> set it to work offline - just remember to change the settings back 
>>> before you connect to exchange and set exchange to work offline so its 
>>> not a problem in the future.
>>>
>>> If it still won't open, copy the profile and delete the exchange acct 
>>> from the copied profile - this is also done in control panel, mail. Set 
>>> it to always ask which profile to choose when opening.  (Or do it 
>>> instead of changing the accounts around.)
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>
>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>
>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...
>>>> Diane
>>>> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
>>>> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.
>>>>
>>>> So if I understand correctly I cannot do anything until my Exchange 
>>>> server comes back online?
>>>>
>>>> Gary
>>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:uj7OIX4PJHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Are you using an exchange account? They don't normally use a PST.  If 
>>>>> the exchange server is accessible sometimes, configure it for offline 
>>>>> access in control panel, mail. You'll need to do this when the server 
>>>>> is accessible. If its never accessible, you can add a pst from the 
>>>>> control panel, mail dialog. If you connect to exchange while the pst 
>>>>> is set as default it will delete all mail from the server.
>>>>>
>>>>> -- 
>>>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>>>>
>>>>> Outlook Tips by email:
>>>>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>>>>
>>>>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>>>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>>>
>>>>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>>>>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>>> news:s9nQk.12$532.3@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>>> Vince
>>>>>> The problem is I cannot get into Outlook to enable offline access.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>> "Vince Averello" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message 
>>>>>> news:90BF052E-85C0-4C68-8541-6AB34033F62B@microsoft.com...
>>>>>>> Do you have offline access enabled? Check out this article:
>>>>>>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012329351033.aspx?pid=CH100776841033
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
>>>>>>> news:6umQk.184$Si6.91@newsfe01.iad...
>>>>>>>> Can I start outlook without connecting to my Exchange server?  Each 
>>>>>>>> time I attempt the "work offline" option I get the following 
>>>>>>>> message
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook 
>>>>>>>> window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store 
>>>>>>>> count not be opened."
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I am pretty positive my Outlook pst file is not corrupt.  A week 
>>>>>>>> ago I lost the connection to the server for a few hours and 
>>>>>>>> received the same message. As soon as the exchange server was back 
>>>>>>>> online everything worked fine.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> But I cannot start Outlook at all now to look at existing emails 
>>>>>>>> and emails received on different accounts ( non Exchange ) because 
>>>>>>>> of the above message.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>> 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/6/2008 7:25:04 PM
Brian
Agreed.  But since I have both Exchange accounts and POP accounts I knew I 
would have a PST file.

Gary

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:%23SAEVrAQJHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> "Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
> news:eCnQk.28$ID5.21@newsfe01.iad...
>
>> I have a PST file because I have multiple accounts.  One account is an 
>> exchange account and the 2nd account is POP3 account.
>
> There is no relationship between the number of accounts and the number of 
> PSTs.
> -- 
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 


0
gary2181 (7)
11/6/2008 7:25:58 PM
"Gary Miller" <gary@lucero.com> wrote in message 
news:exHQk.3165$dy1.3134@newsfe01.iad...

> Agreed.  But since I have both Exchange accounts and POP accounts I knew I 
> would have a PST file.

Exchange and POP accounts in the same profile always share the same set of 
default folders.
-- 
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/6/2008 8:34:23 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook 0x800ccc0d error when Norton e-mail protect enabled: see hosts
This post is made to help others solve this issue, based on my experience. Symptom: - Outlook works perfectly well when Norton Anti-Virus e-mail protection is disabled - Outlook cannot retrieve incoming messages when NAV e-mail protection is enabled, message being: pop3 server not found, error 0x800ccc0d This symptom, and possible solutions, are exactly the object of Symantec support note: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000020716064206 Please read this note first ! The object of this post is to add another possible solution to this problem. NAV email protection sets up...

Outlook Sales
I have installed the CRM Server,Outlook Router, SQL, the whole nine yards so to say. So now when I try to install the Sales for Outlook CD, it gets to "Initializing" and then crashes with an error message that is unknown. Here is the message; Product: Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook -- Installation operation failed. The Event ID is 11708, any help would be appreciated. It is running on WIN2000 Server with Dual Xeon 3.06 with 2GB of Ram. Thanks, Bobby Bobby You cannot install the outlook client on the same machine as the MSCRM server - that's probably why it's bomb...

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)
Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of them.. Thanks Dave dave wrote: > Does anyone know of a place where I can find a bunch of > various macros for outlook? I've looked around and found > 1 or 2 but I would think someone has a large amount of > them.. > > Thanks > > Dave Dunno, but a Google search on "Outlook macros" gets about 55,000 hits.... G'Day Dave, Try: http://www.outlookvba.com/examples//allexamples...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.
Is there any functionality available in exchange server 2007 regarding voice connector? If not how can we create it? Thanks in advance. Ashwin Exchange 2007 has the "Universal Messaging" role which is intended for this purpose. Do you have a PBX? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Microsoft Exchange 2007 command shell" <MicrosoftExchange2007commandshell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAE20A61-AD17-4218-90C2-9356CA90B2A0@microsoft.com... > Is there any functionality available in exch...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003
How do I migrate I personal folders file (.pst) from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003? Read the Help Files: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "rolo" <rolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:706405A0-2971-409F-B213-67714B12713C@microsoft.com... > How do I migrate I personal folders file (.pst) from Outlook 2000 to > Outlook > 2003? Thanks Russ it helped. By the way how can I get to this useful help files? "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote: > Read the Help Files: > htt...

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook
How do you transfer files from OE to Outlook - inbox, contacts, etc. Can you do so if you have already started using Outlook but want to bring these files over. cooker <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you transfer files from OE to Outlook - inbox, contacts, etc. > Can you do so if you have already started using Outlook but want to > bring these files over. Start Outlook Express, click File>Export>Messages. If you have Outlook running at the same time, you'll see the messages appear in Outlook. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson ...

Formula without using numbers after decimal in the answer
I have a formula that derives the answer from a figure with a decimal. I don't want to use the figures after the decimal. Is there a way to just use the whole number and omit the numbers after the decimal without having to manually key in all these numbers manually? Thanks, Mustang You can use the INT function. This 'rounds down' any number to th nearest integer, e.g. if A1=2.567, a formula in B2 of =INT(A1) return 2 HTH Bruc -- swatsp0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong
I’m using MS Project 2007, have several task linked with finish to start. I have set date to schedule from, hours per day set to 8 and Working Monday thru Friday. My schedule shows Task 1 Duration 4 days, start Wed 6/2/10, Finish Mon 6/7/10 Task 2 Duration 3 days, start Mon 6/7/10, Finish Thu 6/10/10 Task 2 should have a Start Date of 6/8/10 not 6/7/10; what is causing this? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Is anyone an expert with outlook that I can call on the phone?
How do I share calenders between outlook and my MSN Premier account? Assuming you are using the outlook connector, you need to set the msn account to be the default message store then outlook will use the msn calendar as the default. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this...

Stop Outlook from starting up automatically
Once I installed Outlook2003, it now runs automatically on startup. How do I disable this? -- | +-- Julian | are you using a PDA that is trying to access the data in it? If so, make sure the device is not connected when you boot. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook ne...

cannot open hyper links in outlook
when I try to open a hyperlink in outlook, I get the following message: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. ----- I am the system administrator. HELP This is a problem with IE, not Outlook. You need to reset your internet settings in IE's Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. (Or Control Panel, Internet options, Advanced tab). See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm for more information. "Donald McNeely" <Donald McNeely@discussions.microsoft.com>...

outlook 97 and express email problems
Hi, I am currently on an IBM X21 laptop and is running windows 98 se with office 97 pro. I recently experienced some problems with outlook (illegal operations etc) and reinstalled office to fix the problem but since then I have not been able to send or recieve emails with outlook 97 and outlook express 6. I simply get an error message saying the host can't be found (but does exist and I can ping it successfully). Any suggestions on what I might do? I have tried creating new accounts in windows mail and outlook express, but I still get the same error. Thankyou in advance! Tim D...

How to move MS Office without reinstalling?
I have an iMac that has had Microsoft Office on it since 2002 or so. Other family members have bought MS Office as well since then. They are all v. X. Each has a unique product ID and the only disc copy I can find for installing MS Office has a key on it. I don't know if it was my original copy. I will soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to wipe it clean. Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not be...

Disable Secure Sockets Layer on exchange server when using RPC over HTTP
Hi im trying to enable RPC over HTTP to enable users to establish contact to my Excahger server 2003 over the internet. Now, I dont want to use SSL (security not that important) and i am told by this article that i can disable SSL in windows registry. Quote: Note While RPC over HTTP does not require Secure Sockets Layer, you must modify the registry to enable RPC over HTTP if you do not want to use Secure Sockets Layer. Microsoft recommends that you enable and require Secure Sockets Layer for your RPC over HTTP communications. At this address: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833401 But i ...

unable to paste Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003
(This was posted on "excel.charting" group.) I have a user who's unable to paste an Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003 email message. In Outlook options, the checkbox is selected for "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages". When I tested this on my own computer running the same version of Office, if the box is check, I have no problem pasting; if this box is cleared, I cannot paste. But on his computer, it doesn't work regardless. Thanks and regards, TL ...

How do I see when new messages without outlook running?
Without Outlook 2003 constantly running, how do I send mail or know when I have new mail? two possible answers... 1) you don't or 2) you acquired a 3rd party app to occasionally poll your pop3/imap account "Leslie Adams" <Leslie Adams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D37C11C7-722C-4E91-9393-735A49C11701@microsoft.com... > Without Outlook 2003 constantly running, how do I send mail or know when I > have new mail? ...

Contacts in Exchange #2
We are running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. I have tried to give a user rights to her boss's contacts through delegation and setting the rights on the contacts folder, however, while she has the rights she is unable to add or see her boss's contact folder in her Outlook. She can see it if she runs a search, but can not permanently put it in her list of contact folders. IS there a way that I can accomplish this through the back-end? Thanks, Joseph rapoport jrapoport@insurmark.net ...

Filters not working in Exchange 2003
I have been trying to turn on the Recipient, Connection, and Sender filters. I have gone to the Default SMTP Virtual Server and turned it on there without getting an error but when I go to the Properties and add senders to block and the hit Apply, it tells me that I must manually turn the filtering on in the SMTP VS. I have stopped and started the Default SMTP VS but still no luck. Any ideas? Hi Wayne That is a standard dialog box, it does not check to see if it is already enabled, have you tested the sender filtering? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided &quo...

using the journal on outlook
Once I link an email to the journal, can I still find that email in my mail box? I seem to be able to get to it only via the journal. If this is the way it is supposed to be, how do I remove it from the journal and get it back into my mail box? Am I just missing something? -- thanks, Independent Are you linking to the item or putting a copy into the journal item? Also, has the item been archived or not? "Independent" <Independent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:868279F2-53C8-403A-97F5-604CEECD873C@microsoft.com... > Once I link an email to the journ...

Redirect Exchange 2000 IS backup to different Exchange 2003 server
I recently added an Exchange 2003 server to the same org as a 2000 server. I have dbs from the 2000 server that I need to restore to retrieve email from a user whose mailbox was moved to 2003. So I need to restore the db for that mailbox from BEFORE it was moved because when you move mailboxes you lose any deleted items that were being saved by retention policy. Is this possible? I'm using Veritas Backup Exec 10 but nothing in their support KB seems to follow this exact scenario. If it helps, the old Exch 2000 server is currently empty of users and is ready to be uninstalled. W...

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails
I have an issue where there is a SBS 2003 server (newly installed) & when I drag emails to the file system (explorer window) in order to create file records of the emails it generates an error. Dialog Box Name: Error Copying File or Folder Error Msg: Not enough storage is available to process this command. I can't find an error logged anywhere, either on the server event logs or on the local machine event logs... I have searched the MS KB & Office online, but no joy yet... If anyone can help that would be great!!! R ...

Cannot open Outlook, keep getting Send error report of Microsoft.
We are having problems with Outlook 2003. Everytime we try to open, we get this: Send error report to Microsoft. Any ideas why? All windows and office update have been completed. ...

Exchange 2007 Content Conversion/Encoiding issue.
Hello I have an Exchange 2007 RTM box running in a Windows 2003 only domain. When we scan a document from our Dell 1815n multifunction and have the output emailed, the document shows up as encoded garble instead of an attached document. A message header from a bad email is below. When we scan a document from the same device and send it to a mailbox that still lives on our last remaining Exchange 2003 server, the output from the scanner is attached as a PDF document normally. Any ideas? Thanks Michael Buckley Header from email recieved to Exchange 2007: (server names and I...

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?
Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000? If so, how do I accomplish this? "Steve Bowman" <Steve Bowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BC6CCDE-176C-4149-80B2-DF7514170F68@microsoft.com... > Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000? If so, how do I accomplish this? No. How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276367 Steve Bowman wrote: > Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000? If so, how do I accomplish this? ...

outlook 2007 e-mail
how do you stop e-mails from automatically downloading when you open outlook 2007. i would like to be able to open outlook 2007 and have it wait for me to select 'receive' before downloading e-mails to my system. i know there is a way to do it in outlook 2003 but i do not remember how to do it there and i cannot find how to do it in outlook 2007. -- emerson Uncheck the option to send/receive at a specific interval. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...