Spell Check Settings

Hi!

I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but I
have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find my
answer if such is the case.

I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor.  The machine runs XP
SP2.  All updates for all programs are in place.

In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
replies and forwards.  Recently it has started to check the original text as
well.  I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the "check
original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking the tick
box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy.  I have also tried this
process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook.  Again no joy.  I
suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where to look.  Any
suggestions are appreciated.

TIA.

--
Bob Horton

Outlook 2003 writes back to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling

FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word settings
influence spell checking behavior.

"Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but
> I have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find
> my answer if such is the case.
>
> I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor.  The machine runs XP
> SP2.  All updates for all programs are in place.
>
> In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
> spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
> replies and forwards.  Recently it has started to check the original text
> as well.  I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the
> "check original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking
> the tick box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy.  I have also
> tried this process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook.  Again
> no joy.  I suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where to
> look.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> Bob Horton

0
Neo (372)
11/8/2006 4:30:54 PM
"neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 writes back to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>

> FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word
> settings influence spell checking behavior.
>
> "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but
>> I have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find
>> my answer if such is the case.
>>
>> I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor.  The machine runs
>> XP SP2.  All updates for all programs are in place.
>>
>> In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
>> spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
>> replies and forwards.  Recently it has started to check the original text
>> as well.  I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the
>> "check original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking
>> the tick box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy.  I have
>> also tried this process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook.
>> Again no joy.  I suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where
>> to look.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Horton

Here are the current settings from my registry.  I don't think I see a key
that intuitively looks like the right one.  Again, TIA for any help:

Key Name:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time:   8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
Value 0
  Name:            Check
  Type:            REG_DWORD
  Data:            0x1

Value 1
  Name:            UseAutoCorrect
  Type:            REG_DWORD
  Data:            0x1

Value 2
  Name:            Speller
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            1033\Normal

Value 3
  Name:            SpellDlgDX
  Type:            REG_DWORD
  Data:            0x139

Value 4
  Name:            SpellDlgDY
  Type:            REG_DWORD
  Data:            0xffffffb2

--
Bob Horton

It will observe your settings only once, so if you reopen to edit the
message, the whole message will be rechecked. I just select Cancel when it
comes up and select Send Anyway.

"Bob Horton" wrote:

> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook 2003 writes back to:
> >
> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
> >

> > FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word
> > settings influence spell checking behavior.
> >
> > "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but
> >> I have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find
> >> my answer if such is the case.
> >>
> >> I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor.  The machine runs
> >> XP SP2.  All updates for all programs are in place.
> >>
> >> In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
> >> spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
> >> replies and forwards.  Recently it has started to check the original text
> >> as well.  I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the
> >> "check original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking
> >> the tick box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy.  I have
> >> also tried this process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook.
> >> Again no joy.  I suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where
> >> to look.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
> >>
> >> TIA.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Horton
>

> Here are the current settings from my registry.  I don't think I see a key
> that intuitively looks like the right one.  Again, TIA for any help:
>
> Key Name:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
> Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
> Last Write Time:   8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
> Value 0
>   Name:            Check
>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>   Data:            0x1
>
> Value 1
>   Name:            UseAutoCorrect
>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>   Data:            0x1
>
> Value 2
>   Name:            Speller
>   Type:            REG_SZ
>   Data:            1033\Normal
>
> Value 3
>   Name:            SpellDlgDX
>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>   Data:            0x139
>
> Value 4
>   Name:            SpellDlgDY
>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>   Data:            0xffffffb2
>

> --
> Bob Horton

0
Mary1 (682)
11/8/2006 7:24:02 PM
"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It will observe your settings only once, so if you reopen to edit the
> message, the whole message will be rechecked. I just select Cancel when it
> comes up and select Send Anyway.
>
> "Bob Horton" wrote:
>
>> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Outlook 2003 writes back to:
>> >
>> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>> >

>> > FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word
>> > settings influence spell checking behavior.
>> >
>> > "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Here are the current settings from my registry.  I don't think I see a
>> key
>> that intuitively looks like the right one.  Again, TIA for any help:
>>
>> Key Name:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>> Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
>> Last Write Time:   8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
>> Value 0
>>   Name:            Check
>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>   Data:            0x1
>>
>> Value 1
>>   Name:            UseAutoCorrect
>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>   Data:            0x1
>>
>> Value 2
>>   Name:            Speller
>>   Type:            REG_SZ
>>   Data:            1033\Normal
>>
>> Value 3
>>   Name:            SpellDlgDX
>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>   Data:            0x139
>>
>> Value 4
>>   Name:            SpellDlgDY
>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>   Data:            0xffffffb2
>>

>> --
>> Bob Horton

Unfortunately, that isn't my problem.  It checks the entire message the
first time it's opened (for reply, forward, or anything else).  I tried the
detect/repair function with no joy.  The funny thing is that this just
started happening.  I'm not sure that it's relevant (and less sure that it's
even true), but there is a chance that at some time in the process I may
have selected the "use Word for rich text" check box.  It is not selected
now.  Is that one of these keys?  If not, if someone could point me to that
I'd try changing its value just for grins.  Again, TIA, as this is a major
pain given the number of emails I handle combined with my poor typing skills
:)

--
Bob Horton

> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It will observe your settings only once, so if you reopen to edit the
>> message, the whole message will be rechecked. I just select Cancel when
>> it
>> comes up and select Send Anyway.
>>
>> "Bob Horton" wrote:
>>
>>> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Here are the current settings from my registry.  I don't think I see a
>>> key
>>> that intuitively looks like the right one.  Again, TIA for any help:
>>>
>>> Key Name:
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>>> Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
>>> Last Write Time:   8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
>>> Value 0
>>>   Name:            Check
>>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>>   Data:            0x1
>>>
>>> Value 1
>>>   Name:            UseAutoCorrect
>>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>>   Data:            0x1
>>>
>>> Value 2
>>>   Name:            Speller
>>>   Type:            REG_SZ
>>>   Data:            1033\Normal
>>>
>>> Value 3
>>>   Name:            SpellDlgDX
>>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>>   Data:            0x139
>>>
>>> Value 4
>>>   Name:            SpellDlgDY
>>>   Type:            REG_DWORD
>>>   Data:            0xffffffb2
>>>

>>> --
>>> Bob Horton
>>>

> Unfortunately, that isn't my problem.  It checks the entire message the
> first time it's opened (for reply, forward, or anything else).  I tried
> the detect/repair function with no joy.  The funny thing is that this just
> started happening.  I'm not sure that it's relevant (and less sure that
> it's even true), but there is a chance that at some time in the process I
> may have selected the "use Word for rich text" check box.  It is not
> selected now.  Is that one of these keys?  If not, if someone could point
> me to that I'd try changing its value just for grins.  Again, TIA, as this
> is a major pain given the number of emails I handle combined with my poor
> typing skills :)
>
> --
> Bob Horton

Just "bumping" this post to see if there are any ideas out there.  It never
used to check the whole email string but now does.  It's not something that
I can identify that I have changed on my end.  Very perplexing and annoying.

Again, TIA for any further suggestions.

--
Bob Horton

Bob, have you had any joy finding the answer to this?
I'm having the same problem.
0
Tim6814 (325)

Setting Automatic Spell Check
Cannot not activate spell check button in Outlook Express 6.(grayed out on tool bar). Would like to include automatic spell check before sending out emails. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress...

Check Box Question
I have a user form with several Check Boxes that are for controlling worksheets in a workbook. Each check box is for hiding or unhiding the different worksheets in a workbook from the user form2. Workbook name = Installer Forms Worksheet name = Sheet 1 Checkbox names = Office_Package_Preparations_101 I want when the Box is checked for the worksheet to be shown and when the box is not checked for the worksheet to be hidden. Hi Brian, Important consideration is that you cannot hide all sheets so must test for at least 2 visible sheets before hiding a sheet. If...

I cannot set a rule that automatically fully deletes some messages
Dear friends: I use Outlook 2003, and I want to set a rule that automatically completely deletes all the messages that are labeled as SPAM from my ISP. I didn't have any problem to create the rule, but when I run it, Outlook says that I don't have the permissions to do the automatic deletion. But, I don't have any problem if the rule says that these messages should be moved to the "Deleted" folder, and after that, I clean the "Deleted" folder manually. Why can I not do it automatically? How can I set the necessary permissions? Thanks Juan I. Cahis Santiago d...

SHBrowseForFolder(&bi) How do I set the initial directory
As the subject says how do I Open up the directoy tree to an initial directory? Thanks >As the subject says how do I Open up the directoy tree to an initial directory? Here's an old example that's been posted on the newsgroups before: Use a callback, and respond to BFFM_INITIALIZED by sending a BFFM_SETSELECTION message with the directory you want. E.g. // SetSelProc // Callback procedure to set the initial selection of the browser. int CALLBACK SetSelProc( HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, LPARAM lParam, LPARAM lpData ) { if (uMsg==BFFM_INITIALIZED) { ::SendMess...

Personal Folder Backup
Hey, Im using Microsoft “personal folder backup” addin in order to backup the users PST file in my domain. In need to set a default location for the folder location set by the addin because I don’t want to set it manually on over 200 users. Can anyone tell how I can do that? Is there a file needed to be edited? A registry file? Something??! HELP!!!! "D.RR" wrote: > Hey, > Im using Microsoft “personal folder backup” addin in order to backup the > users PST file in my domain. > In need to set a default location for the folder location set by the addin ...

Printing Checks.
Is there a way to have "00/100" on the written amount instead of "no/100". For example, if I make out a check for $100.00, the written amount prints out as: "One Hundred and no/100************" can it be change for it to be printed out as "One Hundred and 00/100************" Thanks... There's no user exposure to change any of this. Perhaps it could be hacked, but that would probably be a non-tivial undertaking. "GEM" wrote: > Is there a way to have "00/100" on the written amount instead of "no/100". ...

how can i change the default settings in excel 2003?
i would like to alter the fixed column width that happens every time i update a pivot table to autofit - does anyone know how to? i would also like to remove autoscale when i produce charts and alter the background graph colour from grey to white any ideas? ...

Setting AutoArchive for multiple personal folders
I am using Outlook 2000. I have several Personal Folders on which AutoArchive has been set up. I now want to change the timeframe in which these folders are autoarchived. Is there a way to do this for the Personal folder and all of its subfolders at one time, or does each subfolder have to be set up individually? ...

Crescent 6 Piece Dura Driver Screwdriver Set
Price:$17.27 Image: http://discountadvisors.info/image.php?id=B00002N7OT Best deal: http://discountadvisors.info/index.php?id=B00002N7OT High torque handle; cushioned rubber cover for comfort and slippage control. Tool steel shafts for strength and durability. Bright zinc plated blade to prevent corrosion. One Each Of: #1 x 4", #2 x 4" Phillips; 1/4 x 4", 1/4 x 6" mechanic's round; 3/16 x 3", 3/16 x 6" electrician's round included. SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Deltran Battery Tender Junior 12-Volt 750 mA Battery Charger:http://discountadvisors.info/inde...

How do I set one cell as a constant so I can drag the formula
I want to set, say, cell A1 with a number, say 10. I then want to reference other cells back to the value 10. But when I drag the formula down successive cells no longer look at the value in A1, instead going to A2, A3, A4, etc.... I know this is easy to do, but I forget and can't word it right to find the answer using the help section in Excel. Make the cell reference "Absolute", instead of "Relative"........... $A$1.......instead of A1 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "juntipoikka" <juntipoikka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43E2...

check mark in box...how to
when I do a shopping list for example and there is a long list of items how would I check the items I want bought, currently I put a Y (for yes) in the box. I am talking about the type of `check` below ( without the broken line) / \/ thanks Format the check mark range as Marlett fonts and use "a" instead of "Y" -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Juco" <yamxs750REMOVETHIS@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:gXBOb.262$4u2.37@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > when I do a shopping list for example and there is a long list of items how > would I...

Set lookup value(s) from IFrame (Quote Product)
I've created an IFrame that will have links or buttons that refers to commonly used products. When a user clicks one it will set the correct lookup value for the product and unit. Doing this will avoid having to navigate through the lookups and in our case cut down the number of clicks by a half. I can do this one of two ways but I can't figure out how to do either one. - Option 1: The Iframe contains javascript functions and buttons that set variables like product GUID and then pass that to the parent form. Since this isn't just a single field value, I cannot figure out how to p...

How do I set up icons in excel in one column using data from anoth
I fiddle around with shares and and want to show ups and downs. When I use the arrows it takes the dat away so I want the arrow to show on say column C but reading from the data in column B. There does not seem to be anywhere to input source data. Clear as mud!!!!!!! I figured out how to do what you want. I hope you are not using a shape for the arrow because it won't work. You need to add a unicode symbol to get it to work. Belwo is a sample of the results you are look for. =IF(A1 > 0,"&#8593;","&#8595;") To get the up and down ...

setting up account 06-02-10
i put in pop2 but do not know the rest. asking for server. we use centurylink phone system. what am i doing wronge? Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish Call Century Link Tech Support. They can give you all the correct account info and talk you through the setup. That's what you pay them for. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "maureen martin" <mmartin@weldersupply.com> wrote in m...

How can set up Excel to be able to print checks?
I wish to be able to build a template so I can print checks from an excel program. This file might be a help: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/num2wrds.zip It's in the "Accountants" section on page: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm It contains the "SPELLNUMBER" function, which can be used in your spreadsheets, two methods to convert numbers to words and two cheque writing routines. The code is open and commented. -- Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy - "catherine" <catherine@discussio...

scatterplot with three data sets
I need specific instructions on how to enter three data sets into one scatterplot in Excel 2003. I got instructions before but they are not detailed enough, I am not very proficient in Excel. Would someone be so kind as to let me know how to set up the cells in the spread sheet and get them to the X-Y chart? When I try to put the second set of Y-values in the chart it changes the first set to the second. Set up six columns, for Series A X, Series A Y, Series B X, Series B Y, Series C X, Series C Y. Select Series A X and Y and create the XY chart. Copy Series B X and Y, select the chart...

Trouble setting up new windows email account
I have just tried to set up 2 new email accounts and have encountered the following error message, "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'name', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" The same error message has appeared for both email accounts. I have already set up the new account names with the host and have accessed these accounts via the website. I just can't pull them through on Windows mail. Other (old) mail accounts work fine. Anyone any ideas? ...

Setting Outlook as Default Mail Client
I get a message every time I open Outlook that tells me to run Outlook and set it as Default Mail Client. It is currently set as the Default, but I still get this message. I have followed all the instructions and it shows as the default. This message box even pops up every time I turn on my computer telling me there is no default mail client assigned. Any ideas? Scott Go into Internet Explorer | Tools | Internet Options | Programs tab and set the mail client to Outlook Express. Select apply and then change it back to Microsoft Outlook. That might be enough to force a rewrite ...

C: Drive documents and setting expansion
Whenever I, Right Click Start then click "Explore", I get an expansion of the my user ID folders. Now, I rarely us "Documents and Settings" and would like to have it expand differently. What do I need to change so that can happen?? Thanks.. Bruce A. Julseth wrote: > Whenever I, Right Click Start then click "Explore", I get an > expansion of the my user ID folders. Now, I rarely us "Documents and > Settings" and would like to have it expand differently. > > What do I need to change so that can happen?? 1. You could ...

Setting Outlook word to richtext when replying
Hi, Have a peculiar problem with a machine where if the user sends email in Outlook 2002 under HTML format, the receiver gets the content in the Subject Line but the message body is blank. I've tried every fix I know (see previous message). Anyway, I can have him get around it by setting Outlook to send email in Rich Text format under option, which works fine when sending new messages (body content comes through). But the problem now is that if he replies or forward a message in his inbox that is orginally in HTML format, that message gets stripped of the body contents. I se...

Spell checking issue in Final view using Word 2004
I ask this question on behalf of a friend. She writes: I just tried to do a spell check using the final view. Although my actual Word copy shows the final version, both the deleted text and the new text show up in the spell-check window. I'm using Word for Mac 2004 (version 11.3). A screen shot is available, if it will assist in arriving at a solution. Thanks, Leigh Hello Leigh, Thanks for posting this. I am not sure what you mean by "final view" as far as I know there is no view named such. If you could explain this more and send that screenshot my way, that would be super...

how can i set up outlook 2000 desktop alert?
Hi, I would like to know how do i set up desktop alert with my outlook office 2000? Please, can you help me do that. What is a desktop alert? New Mail message? It is under your e-mail options. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Michel asked: | Hi, I would like to know how do i set up desktop alert with my | outlook office 2000? | Please, can you help me do that. ...

Setting up OWA???
I've got Ex 2003 server and running OWA on the intranet. Everything works fine. My problem i cannot access mail from the outside. I have port 80 and 443 open. I'm not sure if I am accesing it correctly. What would be the URL??? Also I keep reading some thing needs to be installed on IIS. I don't know what to install. Could anyone please help?? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Dave the desparate. Well, if port 80 and 443 are open on your firewall, then to start with, you can simply go to http://ExternalIPofFirewall/exchange and it ought to bring up the logon request. ...

Message/Contacts/Settings Folders for Backup
We recently added an internal hd to computer and duplicated document folders to the new hd, leaving all other files on the original hd. I want to set-up the automated backup to not only include the doc foldrs on the new drive, but the outlook message folders, settings, etc., which were left on the old drive. Which Office folders should I add to the backup script? Am I just backing up all .dat files that I can find in the Office folders? Thanks, Ken ...

Setting the margins
I am creating a brochure, and I want the pictures and the backgrounds to go all the way to the edge of the paper. Right now, when I print the brochure, there are margins. They are like a quarter of an inch. How do I get rid of these margins? Thanks, Lindsay Most likely your printer cannot print bleeds. "Lindsay" <lrs59@msstate.edu> wrote in message news:1150986139.323569.270300@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... |I am creating a brochure, and I want the pictures and the backgrounds | to go all the way to the edge of the paper. Right now, when I print | the brochure, ther...