Sorting messages by sender

I've recently changed from using Outlook 2003 on an old Celeron PC running
Win 2k, to a new P4 machine with XP.

On the old set-up, I could click on the 'From' column header to sort
messages in a mail folder by sender, then start typing the name of the
sender to quickly take me to the messages from that person.  This was very
useful and I used this feature regularly, although it only seemed to work
for the first three characters of the name, the fourth character entered
would then take the cursor to the first instance of a name beginning with
this letter.  This was fine as the first three letters would be more than
enough to get me to the right message.

Since I've been using the new set-up, this feature only works on the first
letter I type, so if I type M, I, K, toe find messages from Mike, I actually
end up with the first message from senders starting with K.  The best I can
get is just typing the M, which takes me to the first message from senders
starting with M, then move down to the sender I want using the cursor keys.

It's only a small detail, but when you use it all the time, it's a
noticeable step backwards.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Can I fix the problem?

--
Jonathan Finney

0
plegron (22)

Change System Administrator message?
In E5.5, can the System Administrator message that starts "Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator." be changed? Our Help Desk wants something a little less generic. Thanks in advance, folks. Larry Wahlers Concordia Technologies The International Center The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod St. Louis, Missouri USA Larry Wahlers <Larry.Wahlers@concordiatech.org> wrote in news:3svr30pt7opb3seq55pa5rtgcfh4u5huik@4ax.com: > In E5.5, can the System Administrator message that starts "Your > mailbox has exceeded one or more size limi...

the messaging interface has returned an unknown error
Hi, When i do a reply all or print it gives me this error: the messaging interface has returned an unknown error Any suggestions? thanks Have you tried using Detect and Repair from the Help menu? "Tommy" <Tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51829E9E-F3E4-4027-84C1-0E44CB633C08@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > When i do a reply all or print it gives me this error: > > the messaging interface has returned an unknown error > > Any suggestions? > > thanks ...

Safe Senders modification via scripts
Hello! I am looking for a way to modify the Safe Senders list in Outlook/OWA to remove an entry. I am familiar with the XML AddToTS function to add Trusted Senders, but I am looking for a way to dump the Safe Senders list, remove an entry, and then re-import it. Is this possible? David Harr Systems Administrator, MIS - Engineering Univision Communications Inc. ...

Sorting with formulas
I see pieces of formulas that solve what I'm looking for, but can't get it all to work together. I have a list of scores that I'll continue to add to that I need to sort with a formula from lowest to highest. I want to keep duplicate entries but don't want to show blank entries. Here's an example: Row ColA ColB (sorted) 1 42 36 2 42 38 3 36 40 4 42 5 40 42 6 42 42 7 48 8 48 9 38 10 fill in 10-25 later ..... 25 I'm a beginner with these more complex formulas, so I really a...

recall message option missing
Hi all, I sent a message to one of my friends which i want to recall. As i believe in Microsoft outlook 2000 SR1 which i am using if i go to sent message and there if i click on that message and in the message window i should have a option at Action->Recall message, which will recall the message if the reader has not read it. But In my outlook that particular option is missing. Should i do something more? On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:40:29 -0800, "Ash" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > > I sent a message to one of my friends which i wa...

Intelligent Message Filter ver 2. Not sure if its enabled or even installed correctly.
I recently upgraded to Exchange 2003 SP2. Before doing this I uninstalled IMF ver 1 as instructed. How can I check whether IMF ver 2 was installed correctly with the SP2 and running properly? There is no longer anything in the SMTP protocols in Exchange System Manager that says Instant Message Filter, although there is still the IMF tab in the Message Delivery. Is it possible that the IMF ver2 didn't install with SP2? How can I install and enable it? The only reference I can seem to find refers to ver1. Many thanks in advance. "Barry Johns" <b.johns@carltonpressgroup.com&...

Half inbox now showing blank messages
I don't tend to keep a lot of emails, but there are a few things that I keep. This morning, I opened my inbox and went to view a couple of older emails. Eight emails from February 2nd, 2010 through January 29th, 2010 are blank, only a date appears. I have emails older than those dates, from January 29th, 2010 to August 2009, which are only 7 emails. I closed Outlook, restarted the computer, and am still having the problem. I am running outlook 2007, I have an MSN email account, run Windows XP Media Center, service pack 3. I have not added any new programs in awhile and ...

Runtime error when deleting a message
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" Error Message When Deleting a Message ...

I keep getting the same email message over and over again
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Email Client: pop I received an email about 5 hours ago with a large file attached. The same message has been coming in over and over again and I can't get it to stop. Is this a problem on my end or the sender's? I can send emails out and get emails coming in, but it's really clogging my inbox. I've quit Entourage and opened it up again, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? Thanks. On 2010-04-15 09:42:59 -0400, annah@officeformac.com said: > The same message has been coming in over and over again and I can't get ...

Sorting columns.
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet with about 300 tabs. Some have data in Column A only, some have data in Column A through Column IV. I want to have a Macro that will go through each tab and move everything into Column A on that tab. So, any data in Column B gets moved underneath the data in Column A. Then any data in Column C will be moved underneath the data from Column A and Column B, in Column A, etc. Then, I'd like the macro to delete any blank lines on each tab. (There will be lots of them). I've tried to do this but my way has created a macro that is now a over a thousa...

Error message on saving a file with math objects in Word 2007
When I write a document with several mathematical objects in Word 2007 I can easily save the document. But after a while, as the document becomes larger and more complex (with dotted lists and other paragraphs), the program won't save the document anymore. The error message says: "A file error has occurred [file path]". Can somebody please tell me what happens, or just tell me what to do? ...

Odd Error Message when Inserting File
When I insert a file into an outgoing email Outlook displays the error message "could not open one or more attachments." In spite of that, the file is attached to the email. There is no visible indication of the attachment in the email as it is composed but the attachment is shown when the email arrives and can be opened by its recipient. This annoyance occurs with all file types and with both HTML and plain text email styles. Any ideas before I uninstall/reinstall the entire Office package? Windows XP SP2, Outlook from Office 2000 Pro SP3. ...

Exchange 2003 SMTP recipient message filtering
I have enabled SMTP message filtering on the virtual server and it is still not working. I noticed that Exchange 2003 version is slightly different that Exchange 2000 (which I had working without any problems). Am I missing something? Thanks Steve Could you confirm what settings you have configured on Global Settings > Message Delivery? -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:103e01c4262c$483b0320$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I have enabled SMTP message fi...

import messages
I exported my messages which I have in organized in different folders to a file inbox.pst and then saved it to a CD. I then saved the file on my harddrive of the reformatted computer. I am now trying to import the messages. I saved it as a pst file, but when I try to import it, says it is not a pst file. Any suggestions on how to open or import it? Thanks, Dave Dave <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I exported my messages which I have in organized in > different folders to a file inbox.pst and then saved it > to a CD. I then saved the file on my harddri...

Junk Senders question
Outlook 2002 SP3. I have two email newsletters that I subscribe to. NEITHER is in the Junk Senders .txt yet they both get sent to the Junk folder. How do I stop this annoying action? Gordon <gordonbp1@yahoo.invalid> wrote: > Outlook 2002 SP3. I have two email newsletters that I subscribe to. > NEITHER is in the Junk Senders .txt yet they both get sent to the > Junk folder. How do I stop this annoying action? Disabling your junk mail filter shold solve that problem. Apparently, there is some string in the message that is triggering the junk mail filter when it scans th...

Outlook 2003 "sort by grouping"
Just got Office 2003 and noticed it's got a grouping sorting feature. Does anyone know if there is a way I can turn the grouping off on all my folders at once without having to go into each folder? Thanks. If you use View | Arrange By | Current View | Define Views to edit one of your views, such as Messages, the changes you make should be made to that view in all folders of that type (e.g. all Mail folders). -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In new...

Sent Message Body is missing. This only happens when we reply to one of outside company's email.
Can Someone help me to figure out this issue? Thank you! I have some strange issue happens in one of the instance of reply message. Below is what happens in this situation. ================================================================= Bold is what my explain is and red is the email format. The normal reply message from our exchange 2000 is ========================================= Content of reply message from user in our exchange server Then followed by the original message -----Original Message----- From: someone@abc.com Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 12:23 PM To: William Sun Subject...

Tracking Messages
For the most part exchange 2003 has performed well. However I have a user who is connected by OWA and states that they sent a message to somebody within the same server and the recipient received it 2 days later. I viewed message tracking and the message didn't show up on tracking logs based on their send date. I then used tracking within the same day (current) and it appears in the logs. I viewed the internet header of the reipient and it also matched the current send. Is it possible for a message to get hung-up within OWA? JD I don't believe that this is possible. What...

How to redirect messages between 2 Exchange servers based on the recipient? (Outlook 2000)
We are currently suffering from reliability problems with our single Exchange server connected to the Internet -> emails to our main customer tend to get lost or delayed. As a consequence, we are considering the option of deploying a new email architecture based on 2 Exchange Servers: * Exchange Server A (NEW): connected to our main customer via a new VPN. Only emails addressed to that client's domain must go through this server. * Exchange Server B (EXISTING): connected to the Internet. To be used for all other messages. The 2 questions I'm supposed to answer are: 1...

Problem: Sorting with Hyperlinks
I need expert help, please. :) Before you say anything, yes, I would much rather do this in Access, but my boss doesn't know how to use it. (He also uses a Mac, so what do you expect?) I am creating a spreadsheet in Excel to include my boss' trauma cases. Linking to the hospital database is clunky and unreliable, and so he wants me to pull in JPGs of the imaging to our own server and link to them. I just started the project and already hit a snag. When I have just one image, I put in a hyperlink to it directly on the server. But when there are several images he wants, ins...

Do not always receive Out of Office message
We are running in Exchange 2000 environment. For some reason, whenever someone has the Out of Office Assistant setup and turned on, and another user sends that person a message...they only get the Out of Office message one time and one time only. Is there any way to receive that message EVERY TIME you send the out of office person a message? The Out of Office Assistant is set-up to only reply to an address one time. If you want out of office replies sent out for each incoming message, set-up a rule with Rules Wizard. Louise "Anthony" <Anthony.Preston@mkmv.com> wrote...

messages keep getting stuck in outbox
outgoing email goes to outbox and stays there. If there are attachments, my recipient may receive hundreds of copies of the message but it doesn't leave my outbox. The ones stuck there now don't have attachments. Not sure if they're going or not. What version of Outlook are you using? What anti-virus software are you using? What kind of e-mail account is it? (Exchange? SMTP?) -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:...

Sort Records Descending in Filtered Subform?
Hi all, I have a subform which is filtered based on the main form. The subform is based on a table, which holds the primary key of the main form table as a foreign key. The default sort is ascending (by autonumber primary key in subform table). I would like to sort this descendingly. I'm using Access 2000. I don't want to change everything to base the subform on a query. Is this possible to do while still basing the subform on a table? Please let me know if more info is needed. Thanks in advance. Have you tried using the forms "Order By" property? You could set this when...

Copying messages from one profile to another
I recently created a new profile for an Exchange server account but I need to copy the e-mails from my old profile to the new one. As I cannot keep both profiles open I cannot drag and drop or use the copy command. Any help appreciated If they are both connecting to Exchange then go in to Active Directory Users and Computers (assuming Exchange 2000/3) and give the new profile user full access to the original profile user), you will now need to add the original profile to the new profile in Outlook but you need to post your Outlook version. "Farci" <bill.fraser@epictradepart...

Doc Id
I get below error message, even though my header and line items both have same Doc Id. Can anybody tell me the relation between the doc ids for header and line item tables. "Sql procedure error codes returned:\r\nError Number = 3441 Stored Procedure taSopLineIvcInsert Error Description = DOCID does not exist for document type\r\nNode Identifier Parameters: taSopLineIvcInsert \r\nSOPNUMBE = INV2001\r\nSOPTYPE = 3\r\nRelated Error Code Parameters for Node : taSopLineIvcInsert \r\nDOCID = STDINV1\r\nSOPTYPE = 3\r\n\...