---------------------------------
From: WinZip Computing [mailto:help@winzip.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:06 PM

This error message is an indication of a problem within Microsoft
Outlook itself.  With Word as the e-mail editor, Outlook sometimes
does not provide the information necessary for add-in applications to
function properly.

We have found this issue to be especially evident if more than one add-
in to Outlook is in use.  In our testing, Adobe 6.0 was one of the
applications that we found particularly problematic.  However, the
latest version of Adobe, Adobe 7.0, eliminates the "unspecified error"
message.

Adobe has a general troubleshooting document at

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/317147.html

The document states "Before you begin troubleshooting, be sure that
the version of Acrobat you are running is compatible with the version
of Office you are running.  Acrobat 6.0 Standard and Professional are
compatible with Office XP, 2000, and 97; Acrobat 7.0 Professional and
Standard are compatible with Office 2003, XP, and 2000."

WinZip Technical Support
0
vtflair (4)

vtflair@hotmail.com <vtflair@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running into a maddening error with WinZip Companion for
> Outlook 1.0. Online searches and diagnostic logging didn't reveal
> anything, so I emailed WinZip tech support. Below is my initial email
> and their response. The scenario (using Word as the Outlook 2003 email
> editor while running Adobe 6.0 Standard) applies for my user, so I'm
> going to try to upgrade to Adobe 7.0. Hope this post helps others.

Why are you asking a WinZip question in an Outlook newsgroup?  Ask in a
forum that discusses WinZip.

As for "Adobe", that's a company.  Which product from Adobe do you mean?
Some of Adobe's products are "Acrobat", "Acrobat Reader", "Shockwave",
"Acrobat Connect Pro", "Photoshop", "Illustrator", and "ColdFusion".  There
are also others.  To which are you referring?  My crystal ball indicates you
really mean "Acrobat" or "Acrobat Reader".  If that's the case, you want
V8.1.2 (the most recent) because of security vulnerabilities in the
products.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/29/2008 12:59:05 PM
On May 29, 8:59=A0am, "Brian Tillman" <tillman1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> vtfl...@hotmail.com <vtfl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been running into a maddening error with WinZip Companion for
> > Outlook 1.0. Online searches and diagnostic logging didn't reveal
> > anything, so I emailed WinZip tech support. Below is my initial email
> > and their response. The scenario (using Word as the Outlook 2003 email
> > editor while running Adobe 6.0 Standard) applies for my user, so I'm
> > going to try to upgrade to Adobe 7.0. Hope this post helps others.
>
> Why are you asking a WinZip question in an Outlook newsgroup? =A0Ask in a
> forum that discusses WinZip.
>
> As for "Adobe", that's a company. =A0Which product from Adobe do you mean?=

> Some of Adobe's products are "Acrobat", "Acrobat Reader", "Shockwave",
> "Acrobat Connect Pro", "Photoshop", "Illustrator", and "ColdFusion". =A0Th=
ere
> are also others. =A0To which are you referring? =A0My crystal ball indicat=
es you
> really mean "Acrobat" or "Acrobat Reader". =A0If that's the case, you want=

> V8.1.2 (the most recent) because of security vulnerabilities in the
> products.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian, I appreciate your feedback - though the tone of your reply
comes across as a bit antagonistic and chiding. I was just trying to
be helpful and apologize if some things in my post were unclear.

My question wasn't a question to begin with. Just a solution I had
found while working on this issue. Since my earlier searches on this
specific error didn't produce any solutions, I wanted to post what I
had discovered in order to same others some time and frustration. So,
I wasn't asking for help, just sharing what I had learned.

I posted this in the Outlook group, because the error and issue only
occurred in Outlook. WinZip Companion for Outlook is a plug-in for
Outlook and not part of the full WinZip program. So, Outlook is the
only program in which you would see this error - hence my posting here
in the general Outlook forum instead of a WinZip forum. I guess I
could have posted in both, but tend to avoid cross posting.

And you are correct, I could have been more clear about the particular
product of Adobe, instead of just using "Standard". So, thanks for
asking for that clarification. The Adobe product I was referring to is
Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0 - not the free product Adobe Reader.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Phil
0
vtflair (4)
5/29/2008 4:46:58 PM
vtflair@hotmail.com <vtflair@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Brian, I appreciate your feedback - though the tone of your reply
> comes across as a bit antagonistic and chiding. I was just trying to
> be helpful and apologize if some things in my post were unclear.

Nope, just seeking precision.  But, to tell the truth, I didn't grasp at
first that you were providing an answer to a problem you had seen, so you do
deserve an apology for that.

> I posted this in the Outlook group, because the error and issue only
> occurred in Outlook. WinZip Companion for Outlook is a plug-in for
> Outlook and not part of the full WinZip program. So, Outlook is the
> only program in which you would see this error - hence my posting here
> in the general Outlook forum instead of a WinZip forum. I guess I
> could have posted in both, but tend to avoid cross posting.

However, the program is not Outlook, so questions about non-Outlook programs
do belong in forums about the third-party program.

> And you are correct, I could have been more clear about the particular
> product of Adobe, instead of just using "Standard". So, thanks for
> asking for that clarification. The Adobe product I was referring to is
> Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0 - not the free product Adobe Reader.

I love the statement (not made by you, of course) that "This error message
is an indication of a problem within Microsoft Outlook itself.  With Word as
the e-mail editor, Outlook sometimes
does not provide the information necessary for add-in applications to
function properly."  What a crock.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/29/2008 6:04:18 PM
WinZip 1 is obsolete, version 2 is the current version.

No matter what addin or version if there's a problem addin then Outlook will
have problems.

That's the case with many versions of the Adobe PDF addin for Outlook ,as
well as many other addins I've had to debug because they conflicted with
addins I wrote, including WinZip Companion 2.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

<vtflair@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
[...]

kenslovak (742)

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Error 550 Relaying denied

cannot open hyper links in outlook