SMB port lockout makes remote *.pst link undeletable

Recently, apparently faced with an unfortunate surplus of
MS Windows hackers and a population that, on average, had
no interest in patching their machines, our campus SYSOPs
decided to shut down all NETBIOS-related ports on all
routers with off-campus lines, including both ports used
by SMB (yes, they closed 445 as well).  Of course, this
makes all previously established SMB mounts non-
functional, and this fact forms the basis for my question.

Many people on campus had SMB mounts on off-campus
machines which supported links from Outlook to remote
*.pst files.  Of course, these links are now broken; but,
MS Outlook apparently provides no way to delete these
broken links.

While I can locate the base info (an MRUList for .pst plus
a few other keys) for the Outlook links within the
registry, I am wary about deleting these keys alone.

If you have already found a viable solution to this
frustrating situation, please let me know what you have
discovered.

Regards,
  Dr. Jack Courtney
  Dept. of Mathematics
  Michigan State University.
0
courtney1 (1)

OLE link???
Is there a way to establish a link from one cell in excel on one computer to a cell in another excell running in another computer? I use the formula below to establish a similar link between two instances of excel running on the same computer; but would like to be able to run the source excel file on a different computer. =Excel.Sheet.8|'C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Desktop\MINIMIZED STOCH.xls'!'!Sheet1!R10C1' ...

SMTP Server Port Number
Hi all, I have a machine running Outlook 2K and with no user intervention the SMTP Port Number will change within the Account Settings. When I change it back, it will revert within about a 2 day period. Any help is greatly appreciated. What does it change to? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Stephen Hartman asked: | Hi all, | | I have a machine running Outlook 2K and with no user intervention the | SMTP Port Nu...

link to specific sheet in excel file which contains points and spaces
I am trying to make a link in Acces to an Excel file. This excel file contains several sheet with different names. My form in Access has a field that corresponds to the name of the excel sheets (Formname in script). When the name in the form contains points or spaces my link to the sheet with the same name does not work. I tried to put brackets [] on either side of the name, but then linking does not work at all. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Code (works when Formname.Value does not contain spaces or points etc): Private Sub CommandActionRegister3_Click() Dim Locatio...

New to mac...how do you make a calendar?
Hi, I am a teacher and have previously made my parent volunteer calendars with my pc on Publisher....how do I create similar calendars on a mac? Thanks! Hello Melissa, Publisher is PC-only. Would Entourage's Project Center be suitable? See http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/entourage2004/using.aspx?pid=usingento urage2004&type=howto&article=/mac/library/how_to_articles/office2004/en_proj ectcenter.xml See also "Print a custom calendar in Entourage" http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/entourage2004/using.aspx?pid=usingento urage2004&type=howto&article=/m...

Making sure data is saved on closing application
Hi, I have built myself the following application from 'Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days' chapter 'Day 14 - Retrieving Data from an ODBC Database' http://serghei.net/docs/programming/c++/ty%20visualC++6%2021%20days/ch14/ch14.htm The application lets you edit and add records to a database (as well as just retreive them). The application uses recordset flags in code to make sure that data is saved if you edit one record and move to another. However, there is no code to make sure new or edited data is saved when the application is exited. After having poked about, I have...

deleted pst file still appears
Outlook XP, SP-2. I moved my .pst file to another drive by copying it, adding the copy to Outlook, and making the new one the default for my email account. OK so far. Then I removed the original data file and restarted Outlook. The "Personal Folders" for that file still appears. I deleted the actual file to see if Outlook would realize it wasn't there. The "Personal Folders" for that file still appears. When i try to close the obsolete item from the folder list pane, I get a "The operation failed. "An object cannot be found" dialog. Mail...

Speed of Item Modifier PST?
We're thinking about getting the Item Modifier Professional Services tool, but I'm a little nervous that it would take too long to run in our environment. We have pretty huge tables (for example, IV30500 has over 35 million records). Can anyone who has a large database give me an idea of how long the Modifier takes to convert one item number? We would be converting a bunch of numbers at once, so I could use the information to ballpark how long the process might take. I'm concerned that I won't be able to finish the conversion over a weekend. -- Bud Cool Microsoft Cer...

The connection was dropped by the remote host #2
All day I've been getting email stuck in the outbound queue with the below message recorded. Message delivery to the host '66.218.86.197' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'yahoo.com' for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host. I've been able to send email to some domains but not all..... I've restarted the exchange 2003 server, flushed DNS Registered DNS Restarted DNS on DCs Reset our firewall... NSLOOKUP is good Pings by name resolve I can telnet to my mail server I can telnet to other mail servers. Can someo...

Scripting/Programming Outlook .PST Backups (advice sought)
Dear Colleagues: A while back I sought out the advise of some buddies who have far greater experience with scripting and programming than I do (which amounts to NULL) to create or improvise an organizational Exchange/Outlook .PST backup and restore solution. I made some headway in terms of the Outlook & Exchange 2000 side of the equation, however, my knowledge of scripting and programming being what they are, I find myself here again "electronically panhandling" hoping that somebody could shed some light on my dilemma(s). Our organization went from Exchange 5.5 to 20...

How do I convert email addresses to clickable links?
I have imported a column of valid email address. How can I make them clickable links to email. No problem if I type them but there are far to many. Help apprecited. Thanks. Rick Wetzel Hi Rick Try this one for Column B in the activesheet Sub test() For Each myCell In Columns("B").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants) If myCell.Value Like "*@*" Then ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=myCell, _ Address:="mailto:" & myCell.Value, TextToDisplay:=myCell.Value End If Next End Sub -- Regards Ron de Brui...

Readonly a linked table
I have a table that gets generated every month, and we use as a source of data for other databases. We link this, but I was wondering if there is a way to make that linked table read only. Any ideas? Thanks so much, Chris M. hi Chris, mcescher wrote: > I have a table that gets generated every month, and we use as a source > of data for other databases. We link this, but I was wondering if > there is a way to make that linked table read only. Either make the back-end read-only or use a pass-through query instead of a linked table. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Paste-linking cells from Excel leaves a border in PP
In PP 2003, when I past an Excel (2003) range of cells, I have a fine rule border around the cells; "Format Object" indicates that there are no lines, but there they are! I'd prefer not to have to crop the resulting picture, and worry that doing so will foul up my future updating of those cells. Any ideas? Thanks for all you do. ...

can I add a link in Publisher to display, "join our email list"?
I am creating a fairly simply website and need to add a button for visitors to join our email list. Is this possible in Publisher? Please post your question in the web group and we will try to help you there: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign or http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&lang=en&cr=US Always include the version of Publisher you are using, the URL of your site and as much detail as possible. DavidF "mfreecox" <mfreecox@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Standard DLL link to MFC lib
Hello. We had a standard (NON-MFC) DLL that exported two worker functions. This DLL had to be modified to use a MFC DLL (to link to a MFC LIB) that exported a class CMFCClass1. That means: the class header *must* be included into some CPP file and, since the CMFCClass1 uses MFC objects (CString, CFIle, etc.) afx headers must be included also. I managed to include the header files in the right order (if you don't include the MyClass.h header first - afx tells me that windows.h is already included). I set the projetc's options to "Use MFC in a shared DLL". _The problem...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

whats the best way do a link to pivot table data.
if i do a direct reference to the pivot table, and then the pivot tabl changes, especially when the size of the pivottable, (i.e number o columns and rows)... then the reference to the pivot table stuffs up. so wahts the best way to use the data from the pivot table? cheer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage on dynamic data source for pivot table at: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "sokevin >" <<sokevin.19tm8g@exce...

Is it possible to make all cells in a column have the same formula?
I'm working on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of my earnings and hours worked. The formula result in column F row x is always column D row x multiplied by column E row x. Is there a way to just type in the data and have the spreadssheet just finish it? As always, post your efforts for comments -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <shans91@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b8152793-cee9-42fe-842e-54e7559d8fdf@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > I'm working on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of my earnings and > hours worked. ...

DPM 2010 Remote Agent Install (windows firewall settings)
I'm looking for the specific ports I need to unblock in order to push the agent from the console. All the documentation references point to firewall settings for the DPM server. I'm only interested in the windows firewall settings on the client (protected machine) necessary to push the agent. If I manually install on the client the installer opens the correct ports on the firewall for the agent to function so I'm not even concerned about those settings. I just need to be able to install/uninstall from the console and have been unable to do so unless I turn off the...

How do I make footnotes appear on each page (cross ref)?
I have cross referenced several footnotes throughout my document. Is there a way to display the footnote on each page where it is referenced? For example, if footnote 2 is on page 4 and I have cross referenced it again on page 10, it is possible to display the footnote text again on page 10? Not without creating a new footnote, no. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "lapple" <lapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:392F1F11-6EFB-49E7-9348-FDE7CA6A0E4D@microsoft.com... &g...

paste-linking annotating text boxes
I'm trying to insert an Excel chart into a PowerPoint presentation and link it dynamically. The data link is not an issue but I cannot find a practical way to paste the text boxes that were added to the Excel chart by way of annotation. Selecting and pasting the chart itself and the textboxes as if they were separate objects results in a distorted PowerPoint layout. Is my only choice to add the text boxes anew in PowerPoint? Select the chart prior to adding the textbox. The textbox then will be part of the chart, rather than just another drawing object floating above the worksh...

Is there any way to specify a FRAME in a URL in an email link?
Is there any way to specify a FRAME in a URL in an email link? For instance, say www.url.com is a frameset. Can I specify which page I want to load in the "main2" frame? Thanks in advance. -- *************************************************************** Regards, Richard M. Coda PC Type Graphic Design ...

broken links #2
I'll do my best to make this short. I have workbook with a number of worksheets that interact with each other through links. The idea is that if I change the information contained in a cell on one sheet, the linked info on another sheet will also change. I set this up using Paste Special/Paste Link. So, to explain the problem, say I have 4 sheets of data. I create a 5th sheet by copying a template I have set up, and then Paste Special/Paste Link data from any or all of the original 4 to the new 5th sheet. Everything works fine on the 5th sheet as long as I don't move it. Changes ...

Linking a Visio shape to an Excel data cell
I am more than new to Visio. I am making timelines that will show various stages of a product. I have created cylindrical timelines, and I can import my Excel data. Is there a way for me to link various cells types (Beta 1, Beta 2) to Visio shapes so that instead of a date the shape will be shown on the timeline? That is, can I configure Visio so that every Beta 1 automatically displays as a timeline square and every Beta 1 automatically displays as a timeline diamond? (And if so, how?) Thanks~ -- Billie First of all shapes are positioned horizontally on the timeline by date, so it...

unreadable text from pst
I copied a pst file using windows explorer from my computer at work. Brought it home and put it on home computer. Installed outlook 2002 and tried to see emails. First time to install outlook (IT does it at work and sets up.) I go to Outlook Today (personal folders), look at area where email comes up and all I see is pages of letter sized squares, random letters, numbers,and symbols like it is encrypted but someone told me if encrypted I wouldn't see anything. Please help Thanks, John ...

making flyer
am trying to make a flyer that has phone number tear outs at bottom, Help! If you have Publisher, use it instead of Word, as it has built-in templates for tear-offs. In Word, create a table at the bottom of the page (one row and as many columns as you want tear-offs). Rotate the text in each cell. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Joise" <Joise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF0EEBA3-B916-4B88-8281-ED9351173621@microsoft.com... > am trying to make a flyer that has pho...