Slow receive via VPN

I'm using Outlook 2000 in Exchange mode via VPN over DSL. Everything works
great except when someone sends mail with an attachment. Even a small
attachment like a 150k Word doc locks up Outlook for about 45 seconds. If I
have Outlook closed and open it to find the same attachment no problem.
Only when Outlook is currently open and is receiving it is there a problem.

I thought the mail was stored on the server and was only retrieved when
requested. Why would it freeze only during receive? After Outlook starts
working again I can retrieve the email in a couple of seconds. BTW, I have
temporarily turned off virus scan and it didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Larry
0
riding (28)

Larry wrote:
> I'm using Outlook 2000 in Exchange mode via VPN over DSL. Everything
> works great except when someone sends mail with an attachment. Even a
> small attachment like a 150k Word doc locks up Outlook for about 45
> seconds. If I have Outlook closed and open it to find the same
> attachment no problem. Only when Outlook is currently open and is
> receiving it is there a problem.
>
> I thought the mail was stored on the server and was only retrieved
> when requested. Why would it freeze only during receive? After
> Outlook starts working again I can retrieve the email in a couple of
> seconds. BTW, I have temporarily turned off virus scan and it didn't
> seem to help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Larry

If you set up your mail profile to prompt you to connect or work offline
when starting Outlook, and choose work offline, you can sync in the
background to your existing OST /offline folders file by pressing F9 or
using scheduled background syncs. This will work a LOT better than
connecting 'live' to the server data over VPN.

0
lanwench (7567)

help how do I send and receive japanese email
I have windows XP home and office xp prefessional How do I obtain the correct programs or add in to receive and send email in Japanese? When I was over in Japan I had access to a computer that I could use in either english or japanese. What is available here in the U.S. Thanks dave it should just download it on demand when you receive an email. to send an email in japanese, you need to install an IME, have a look, perhaps using google. you'll find www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ recommended/ime/default.asp N "dave lauderbach" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Slow MTA message transfer to other site
Hi, for a while now, i've been seeing slow message transfers in my MTA (in the X400 connectors) to another exchange site, both servers are 5.5 We have a 256k IP/MPLS connecting our sites. On the server ScanMail is installed, i've tried disabling the AV to see if the overall performance would improve but it did not change. 1st q : is 256k considered a slow link? 2nd : How can I improve the message transfer on those X400 connectors (emails "are not" been backed up in the Private information store) As anybody ever run into this problem, and who did u resolve it. Thank you...

Knowledge Base article via Sales for Outlook
This must be pretty simple but I can't see it.. Where into Outlook can users access Knowledge base article? thanks! Hi! As i know rhere is no possbility to get to the Knowledge base article from the Outlook SFO! With the Outlook SFO you only get sales-entities no service and the Knowledge base articles are in the Service-Part of MS CRM. -- -- Christian support@mscrm-addons.com www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! GroupCalendar for MSCRM Related Documents for MSCRM WordMailMerge for MSCRM "Frebou" <ed@boucheros.com> sch...

i am not able to receive any mails whenever a mail is cced me
Hi I am not able to receive any mails in outlook07, whenever a mail is CCed me. Could u please guide me on this.. Thanks Manoj So, mail items sent directly to you are received OK but items where you're CC'd don't? "Not able receive mails in outlook" <Not able receive mails in outlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5759F2F7-6667-436B-A804-27C5BFFBE00F@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I am not able to receive any mails in outlook07, whenever a mail is CCed > me. > Could u please guide me on this.. ...

send/receive stuck
My send receive keeps getting stuck at between 75 and 83% and nothing is received, what could be causing this, a stuck mail, and oversized mail? and how do I resolve this What error do you get? What version of Outlook are you using? What type of mail account are you using? How big is your pst-file? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OSrIGoTdEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Recurring receivables batch
For some reason we have a problem with 1 of our monthly recurring batches we can normally post it twice without any problems. On the third month we have the problem, we receive an error 'Table update interrupted'. We are continously adding to and deleting from the batch. We have approximately 10 other recurring batches and do not have the same issue with those. Any ideas what could be happening? Thanks, Jean The batch may be corrupted. At this time it is best to create a new recurring batch and move all transactions from the old batch to the new one, then remove the old one. ...

slow printing #2
My rather large spreadsheet has become very slow (45sec) to either print or print preview. This happens on the main worksheet only, not the other worksheets which are much smaller. This problem doesn't occur when the file is opened on other computers ...

Accounts Payable & Receivables
I am using Microsoft money 2005 premium version for personal finance management. I want to money to track my receivables and amounts payable but do not know how should do it. How can I get maintain account receivables & payables? There are lots of ways and what's best will vary depending on your requirements. You can just schedule bills and deposits. This is most effective for payables, but works for receivables. You can create accounts to track them and, when they go actual, transfer from the receivables account to the account where you put the money or transfer from the acc...

still receiving every e-mail to many accounts twice in outlook 2003
basically what th subject says. every e-mail i get comes in twice. this is on different accounts with different domains. Cant seem to suss it out. please HELP Rob Rob Beech <rob(remove)@cnics.co.uk> wrote: > basically what th subject says. > > > every e-mail i get comes in twice. this is on different accounts with > different domains. > Cant seem to suss it out. If you have an AV product scanning incoming mail, try disabling that feature. If your accounts access the same mail server, try modifying the send/receive group so that it receives mail from ony ...

BCC Mail is not received but delivered to stray mail account
We have SBS2003 with exchange server installed with all SP's intalled. For any of our employees, if an email is sent to them where they have been identified in the BCC field only, the email is not received by them but instead it is delivered to the designated stray mail account. Consequently they may never receive some emails. Has anyone encountered this at all? Thanks On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:48:01 -0700, ProgPac161 <ProgPac161@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have SBS2003 with exchange server installed with all SP's intalled. For >any of our employees, if an...

My outgoing mail is also receiving my incoming mail
My incoming mail no longer goes into my Income folder but in my Outgoing Folder. Katyee wrote: > My incoming mail no longer goes into my Income folder but in my Outgoing > Folder. Outlook doesn't have Income and Outgoing folders. Ask your parents for help. What version of Outlook are you using? You're saying that your new messages are showing up in your Outbox folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: ...

Send/Receive Error Message when online
Everytime I open up Outlook and then hit the send/receive button the program spills out an error message telling me that there was no server connection eventhough I am online with AOL Broadband. Is there a way to tell Outlook that I am online and to try again? You cannot use Outlook with AOL. You must use AOL's email program. What server are you trying to connect to? I believe that AOL blocks access to any outgoing servers but their own (sadly, most ISPs do this nowdays), so if you're trying to reach another server via an AOL connection it probably isn't possible. -- Jeff ...

Receive email in real-time
We have several PCs in our company that are receiving Exchange email messages in real-time, whereas others have to click Send/Receive within MS Outlook to receive their email. How do I setup Exchange where all users can receive their email instantaneously on any machine in the organization onto which they logon. Thanks in advance, Mervin Williams Hi, You can't configure Exchange to not deliver emails instantly to Outlook users. This is an Outlook setting and will have to be configured here. Leif "Mervin Williams" <mwilliams@innovasolutions.net> skrev i en meddelel...

How do I make landline phone calls via Outlook 2007?
Outlook 2007 has the facility to dial the phone number of an Outlook Contact but I presume that this requires some hardware ( a phone modem?). Can anyone please explain, or point me to a URL that explains, how I can make the facility work? I sense that I will need to know:- 1. What hardware I will need. 2. Where I can buy that hardware. 3. Whether I will need software additional to Outlook 2007 Any help would be gratefully received. Outlook has no such facility. You must provide a voice modem and the software to support it to dial and talk from your PC. Whether that third party s...

Windows SBS 2008 VPN Issue
Hi Group I have a Issue in SBS 2008. I have installed SBS 2008 and server is in factory .But I can not make multiple connections from branch office I can create only one VPN connection So please help me with this problem. Regards Atul sood Hi Atul: In general, VPN connection with the SBS as the endpoint are not very usful and can restrict the bandwidth by fragmenting the usable upload speed which is generally not all that great to start. The best suggestions I can give you are to either use hardware appliances at each end to create the VPN, and, or to use RWW to land...

Vista, Access 2007, SQL Server 2005, Native Client, ODBC: slow for
Hi, I have been reading the other treads about slow performance in a Access 2007 application; I have a similar thou different problem. My application worked fine and fast in Access 2003 and Windows XP. In the resent months we upgraded our notebooks and workstations to Vista, SQL server to 2005 and Office to 2007. It is very hard to exactly determine when the troubles started and what is causing it. The problem only occurs in some forms which use a larger table (35,000 rows, not realy large). The problem is as follows: When I open the form with Inventory items it opens quickly, even wit...

Help! Can't send or receive
Message to be sent is sitting in Outbox. When I try to send this is the message I receive: "Unable to send or receive messages for the Hotmail account. For security reasons, this e-mail account has been temporarily deactivated. A picture containing letters and numbers will appear when you close this window. To reactivate your account, enter the characters you see in the picture. Subject 'Test message-MMQG' Server Error: 3209 Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x8DE00006" No letters and/or numbers appear so I can't enter the characters. Any suggestions??? I...

Send/Receive Problem #2
When sending mail in Outlook 2002, it is not automatically sent out, not do I automatically receive mail. Where is the auto send/receive option located? Thanks in advance for any help. Dotti Tools->Send/Receive->Send Receive Settings->Define Send/Receive groups. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Dotti <dottib@iohi.com> asked: | When sending mail in Outlook 2002, it is not | automatically sent out, not do I automatically receive | mail. Where is the au...

How to receive and send XML using .NET
I would like to receive XML over the internet (via HTTP Post or SOAP), read it, perform some server side operations, and send back an XML response that would depend on the contents of the XML received. Seems simple, but I cannot find a good example of how to do this. In the Microsoft "Developing XML Web Services.." book, there is a nice discussion of XML and how to load it from a file and directly in code as a stream/string, but no mention of how to get or send it via HTTP. In an HTTP Post, how do I write my XML to the header and how do I read it? Also, is it necessary to use...

All emails sent are received as attachments???
I just starting using Outlook 2002 on my new computer. The people who receive my emails now say that the text arrives as an attachment. I type the text into the body of the email and even when I open the email in my "Sent Items" folder after I sent them the text is there as usual and not in an attachment. However those receiving my emails see nothing in the body of the email but have to open another document which comes attached. Does anyone know why this is happeming and how to correct it? It appears Outlook may by default be set to use Word as the editor. Do the follo...

cannot send or receive #2
I could not open my office products yesterday so I did a reload of software. I am using my outlook email account now and it says the mail went through the send and receive but I still have mail in outbox and did not receive anyting. I have the account set up correctly and when I go out to my ISP's web site....the web email is there. my hotmail account works...just cannot get outlook to work. thanks ...

Why the Bills section so slow ! #2
I have a decent machine and it is not normal that it is so slow compared to Money 2004 I have a P4 3.2, 1 gig RAM, 2 WD raptor in RAID 0 I use Money 2005 Premium and I don't know why the bills section is so slow. Everytime I pay a bill (not online) or transfer money from account to account, buy investments it takes about 10 seconds to execute the transfer, pay bill or buy investments and this is not online. I pay my bills online on my bank web page and after I input the bills in Money to match my online transaction. My Money file is around 10 Mb which is not that huge. Anyone has n...

Receiving some messages
I am only receiving some of my e-mail messages. My husband has the same problem on his computer. This started happening a couple of weeks ago. No harware or software changes that we know of. We know people are sending us messages and sometimes we receive them but most times we do not. Any suggestions? Go to your provider's webmail (using Internet Explorer) and check your mail there. Are the missing messages there, perhaps in a Spam folder? Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Vineyard" wrote in message news:7D9032F8-8807-4D42-A79C-F5F319DB930A@microsof...

Excel VERY slow to move between folders in OPEN dialogue box
Problem: Excel 2003 takes a LONG time (up to 15 seconds) to move between folders when trying to open a file - note, the file opening itself is fine. System: Excel 2003 (ALL Office 2003 patches) Win XP SP2, 3Ghz cpu, 1Gb RAM, all other apps work fine. I've found lots and lots of newsgroup posts, all asking about the same thing, but no replies. Here's another go at it! I've emptied temp folders, have lots of free space, drive is not fragged, no events in eventvwr, cpu is running running high when Excel freezes for that time. Tried virus scanner off to. Help, it's driving me...

text numbers as dates via OCR import
Here is a tough one... I have OCR scanned a printout from a database that contains sales information. The key column of data is the Product number which is in the format of nn-nn-nnnn. Of course upon import into Excel, it treats some (but oddly enough not all) of these entries as dates in the format mm/dd/yyyy. I had formated the sheet as Text prior to import. There seems to be no way now to properly sort this data as I get the "mixed numbers and text" box during a sort operation and of course it sorts in that order. I have tried several formulas, macros and formatting st...