share pst file without Exchange?

I have a home network - an old laptop in the kitchen and 
a new desktop in the office.  I want the Outlook files to 
reside on the desktop since it's backed up and more 
reliable but would like to use the laptop for 
sending/receiving email.  I'd like to be able to see the 
same info (sent mail, inbox, calendar) on both 
computers.  Is it possible without using Exchange? I've 
succesfully connected the laptop to a mailbox.pst file on 
the desktop but since the inbox is empty I can only 
assume this isn't where the email is stored.
0
anonymous (74722)
4/28/2004 2:25:23 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 11 followers. Follow

3 Replies
226 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 11

Well, I have been trying to figure this out myself.  I have actually been
doing it for a few years now with the .pst file being synchronized using the
sync tool in window 2K.  The problem is that in it's initial sate, you can't
sync those types of files.   There is a registry edit you can do to allow
this but I have been posting here to try and figure it out.

I'll be in touch,


"Angela" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07ab01c42d2c$a4916720$3501280a@phx.gbl...
> I have a home network - an old laptop in the kitchen and
> a new desktop in the office.  I want the Outlook files to
> reside on the desktop since it's backed up and more
> reliable but would like to use the laptop for
> sending/receiving email.  I'd like to be able to see the
> same info (sent mail, inbox, calendar) on both
> computers.  Is it possible without using Exchange? I've
> succesfully connected the laptop to a mailbox.pst file on
> the desktop but since the inbox is empty I can only
> assume this isn't where the email is stored.


0
skippertw (5)
4/28/2004 2:34:44 PM
Yes, this is technically possible.  Depending on your version of Outlook, it
is possible to share .pst data, without an Exchange server, using the Net
Folders feature.  Here are the articles you will need to get started:

195867 OL2000: How to Use Net Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195867

229962 OL2000: Troubleshooting Net Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229962

Net Folders is only supported in Outlook 2000.   So the "sharing" process
requires all parties use only Outlook 2000.  Net Folders uses hidden Rich
Text e-mail messages to replicate .pst data, and it has some limits, so
please read the above articles in detail.   Furthermore, if your ISP , or
any network hops along the path between the shares, do not support Microsoft
Rich Text (specifically TNEF) then the Net Folder share may fail to
replicate any/all/some data.
-- 
Hope that helps!!

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Chris Lineback,  MCSE
Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support

- Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.
-This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights



"Skipper" <skippertw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8iPjc.406$eH1.140314@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> Well, I have been trying to figure this out myself.  I have actually been
> doing it for a few years now with the .pst file being synchronized using
the
> sync tool in window 2K.  The problem is that in it's initial sate, you
can't
> sync those types of files.   There is a registry edit you can do to allow
> this but I have been posting here to try and figure it out.
>
> I'll be in touch,
>
>
> "Angela" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:07ab01c42d2c$a4916720$3501280a@phx.gbl...
> > I have a home network - an old laptop in the kitchen and
> > a new desktop in the office.  I want the Outlook files to
> > reside on the desktop since it's backed up and more
> > reliable but would like to use the laptop for
> > sending/receiving email.  I'd like to be able to see the
> > same info (sent mail, inbox, calendar) on both
> > computers.  Is it possible without using Exchange? I've
> > succesfully connected the laptop to a mailbox.pst file on
> > the desktop but since the inbox is empty I can only
> > assume this isn't where the email is stored.
>
>


0
ChrisLin (84)
4/28/2004 3:04:09 PM
Thanks for your help, Chris - it's working now.  However, 
because Net Folders is designed to share folders between 
two different users, there were a few quirks that I'll 
share for Skipper and anyone else pursuing this.  

First, you can't share the Inbox which is the folder I 
wanted to share.  I had to create a separate Shared Inbox 
on the primary computer and then a Rule to automatically 
copy(or move) mail from the Inbox to the Shared Inbox. 

I had two computers with the same email services assigned 
to both.  Net Folders uses emails to transfer information 
so initially the share setup didn't work.  I had to 
create a new email address /service for the second 
computer so that the primary computer could send 
information to the second computer.  

Every time the primary computer tries to update the 
second computer, I get the annoying "your computer is 
trying to send an email.." security warning.  That's 
addressed in a few other discussion threads so hopefully 
will be able to fix that problem next.




-----Original Message-----
>Yes, this is technically possible.  Depending on your 
version of Outlook, it
>is possible to share .pst data, without an Exchange 
server, using the Net
>Folders feature.  Here are the articles you will need to 
get started:
>
>195867 OL2000: How to Use Net Folders
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195867
>
>229962 OL2000: Troubleshooting Net Folders
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229962
>
>Net Folders is only supported in Outlook 2000.   So 
the "sharing" process
>requires all parties use only Outlook 2000.  Net Folders 
uses hidden Rich
>Text e-mail messages to replicate .pst data, and it has 
some limits, so
>please read the above articles in detail.   Furthermore, 
if your ISP , or
>any network hops along the path between the shares, do 
not support Microsoft
>Rich Text (specifically TNEF) then the Net Folder share 
may fail to
>replicate any/all/some data.
>-- 
>Hope that helps!!
>
>Thank you!
>
>Sincerely,
>Chris Lineback,  MCSE
>Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support
>
>- Please do not send email directly to this alias. This 
alias is for
>newsgroup purposes only.
>-This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, 
and confers no rights
>
>
>
>"Skipper" <skippertw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:8iPjc.406$eH1.140314@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
>> Well, I have been trying to figure this out myself.  I 
have actually been
>> doing it for a few years now with the .pst file being 
synchronized using
>the
>> sync tool in window 2K.  The problem is that in it's 
initial sate, you
>can't
>> sync those types of files.   There is a registry edit 
you can do to allow
>> this but I have been posting here to try and figure it 
out.
>>
>> I'll be in touch,
>>
>>
>> "Angela" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote 
in message
>> news:07ab01c42d2c$a4916720$3501280a@phx.gbl...
>> > I have a home network - an old laptop in the kitchen 
and
>> > a new desktop in the office.  I want the Outlook 
files to
>> > reside on the desktop since it's backed up and more
>> > reliable but would like to use the laptop for
>> > sending/receiving email.  I'd like to be able to see 
the
>> > same info (sent mail, inbox, calendar) on both
>> > computers.  Is it possible without using Exchange? 
I've
>> > succesfully connected the laptop to a mailbox.pst 
file on
>> > the desktop but since the inbox is empty I can only
>> > assume this isn't where the email is stored.
>>
>>
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
4/30/2004 5:40:19 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Front End Exchange 2003 OWA for a Back end 2000
Hey everybody, At the minute we're in the process of upgrading our 30 odd servers to Windows Server 2003. The Domain Controllers are still running Windows 2000. My question is : Can I install an Exchange 2003 OWA on a Windows Server 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows 2000 Domain (Native Mode) Do I have to upgrade the whole domain first ? What about notions of Front End / Back End ? We would like to do this to benefit from the new OWA (As it's sooooo cool :)) Thanks for your replies, Mike You can use an E2K3 FE to connecto to an E2K BE, but you only get OW...

Exporting file names to an excel spreadsheet.
I have a folder containing many many many .pdf files. Is there a way to export the filenames of these .pdf files into an excel spreadsheet? If this is a dumb question, I apologize. I didnt have any luck searching for the answer here. -- Kepf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kepf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30611 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=547520 I use Jim Cone's fine Add-in called "ListFiles"for this sort of thing. It's available free (a...

How to get XML data out of an XML file
I am trying to retrieve the Parameters first or second (0, 1 ,2) node from the following XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Robot xmlns="http://tempuri.org/RobotDefaults.xsd"> <Parameters> <Name>Decker</Name> </Parameters> <Parameters> <Name>A</Name> </Parameters> <Parameters> <Name>B</Name> </Parameters> </Robot> There will be more data than just a name for each Parameters node. Here is my code: Dim node As XmlNode = xmlDocument.SelectSingleNode("/P...

Publisher file made in Publisher 2007 won't open in 2007
I produced an 8.5 x 11 brochure two days ago in Publisher 2007. I was able to save, resave and reopen the file many times during the day. When I tried to open the file today, I get the "Publisher cannot open the file" error message. I've tried to open the file on two different machines with Publisher 2007 and get the error message both time. One has XP Pro, the other has Visa Home Basic. It's a 1.6 meg file. I have a smaller publisher file of a bumper sticker (40 kb) which was made a couple of weeks ago which opens with no problem. This is the second time I ha...

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

Default Exchange Receive Connector
Hi all, I just installed Exchange 2007. There were two receive connectors already setup during install, I have a question on the "Default Exchange Receive Connector." If I want public mail servers to be able to send mail to my exchange server, do I need to enable "Anonymous Users" on the "Permissions Group Tab" of that connector? Robert Exchange Server 2007: internet email without Edge servers http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/07/exchange-server-2007-internet-email.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia....

Exchange 2003 on a Domain Controller.
Hi All, I have a WinNT/Ex5.5 to AD 2000/03 and Ex2k3 migration to do. The client is a small company with only about 15 users. The are a network solutions company that needs flexibility so SBS is out of the question. My initial thought was to have 2 Win2k domain controllers/file servers and one Win2k3 member server running Ex2k3. They only have 2 Win2k server licenses and 1 Win2k3 server license. The problem is that they want to be able to use RPC over HTTPs. I understand that requires a 2003 Global Catalogue server. So, my plan of the 2000 DCs doesn't work. My question is:...

iPhone Email to Entourage Using Exchange
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I answer an email on my iPhone, it does not register it in Entourage as answered. This function worked fine until the business I work for put everyone on Exchange. Is there a setting for this that I can change? <br><br>Thanks! ...

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files
I have Microsoft Office 2003 ~ all of a sudden when I go to my documents and try to open a file, I get this message "problem sending command to the program". Error 0646 and dt000 See the article "How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Lost in Vegas" <Lo...

Changing Interface OWA (exchange 2003)
Not sure if you all remember but back in the Exchange 5.5 days we use to be able to go onto a site and put in the username of the person mailbox you want to access, then a windows pop up would come up asking you for your credentials. I was wondering if that is still possible to do that in Exchange 2003? If so how can that be done? Configure Forms-Based Authentication (FBA). -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "John" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:evIllMndHHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Not sure...

Multiple PST Files #2
I am running Outlook 2003 and would like to have Outlook use two different .pst files (one for my work stuff and one for home) on the same computer. Is it possible to do this? If so, can I can I configure one of the pst files to get e-mail from one account, while the other pst file is configured to get mail from the other account? Thanks! -D Yes, you can create multiple PSTs. I keep mine stored in the same file location but with different names. Depending on which version of Outlook you run, you can creat a new pst from file/new/Outlook Data File (I run Outlook 2003 but had multiple P...

Money 2006 file repair application error
I cannot delete an old account because I get a "file may be courrupt" error so I am trying to repair my 2006 file. Following the deirections, when the progress bar almost completes, I get an application exception and send an error report to MS. My event log has 2 app errors 1) Event Type: Error Event Source: Application Error Event Category: None Event ID: 1001 Date: 4/12/2006 Time: 10:47:26 PM User: N/A Computer: xxx Description: Fault bucket 02266399. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 ...

Error saving a Shared Workbook
I have a user using a shared workbook and gets an error everytime she does this ONE specific change. She deletes a line and then saves and gets a message that says, "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown by Windows... blah blah blah". If she makes anyother type of changes it saves just fine. I also had another user do the SAME change and that person also got that error message. When the file is changed to "Not Shared" then the line is deleted it saves fine also. The problem is obviously with the file itself and that is shared out. can anybody ...

Cannot reinstall Exchange 5.5 on Small Business Server 4.5
Our Small Business Server 4.5 crashed yesterday and could only be started by doing a repair of Windows NT. Unfortunately, this left the Small Business Server programs partially installed. Now, Exchange will not start. It has the message "A connection could not be made to the Microsoft Exchange Server". I tried to reinstall Exchange, but get the message "This component is already installed and cannot be modified". Microsoft Exchange does not appear under Add/Remove Programs, so I cannot uninstall it either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Deborah obxgi...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf
I have Publisher 2003 and yesterday, my pdf menu on the top left disappeared and I can no longer convert my Publisher files to pdf. I've even uninstalled/reinstalled the Adobe Acrobat 7 and have also updated to 7.8 but still no luck. The next step was to uninstall and reinstall Publisher and still no luck. Any one know what may be the problem? Thanks. How are you trying to convert your files? When happens when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "darrellm" <darrellm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A78B7B52-981D-4FB7-8625-EAD9...

Outlook Data Files #4
I've done some reading but I'm still confused about the use of Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) versus Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst). I understand the basic "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook 2003 .pst file. Click Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst) to create a new Outlook .pst file that is compatible with earlier versions of Outlook." When we have upgraded to Outlook 2003 or set up a new PC with Outlook 2003, when adding PST's you can chosse either of the two file type options and browse to chos...

SP2 Exchange default disclaimer
Hello: I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on Standard Exchange 2003 server. Thanks, Cindy I'm running the CTP of Exchange 2003 SP2 and haven't seen that as a feature. "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2D2E367-BEB9-49BF-98D3-5C1AE2D08B03@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I am currently using free GFI tool to provide a default disclaimer on > outgoing SMTP email. I was wondering if SP2 will provide this feature on > Standar...

Backup Excel file
I want to take backup of a file every time. I am using - save as - tools - general option - always create back up. The backup file is in the same location but I want to put it in a different folder. What should I do, kindly suggest. Thanks Jan Karel Pieterse's has an addin called AutoSafe (note spelling). http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.) It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts them...

Store limit in Exchange
I'm currently researching the migration of my organization's mail system to Exchange and see that the standard edition of Exchange has a data store limit of 16GB. If we were to do a front end, back end setup with two server and the back end server that has the data store were to reach the 16GB limit would adding another back end server resolve this? I read in another post that this would double the space. But doing this the users that are currently create would have to be split up and some moved to the new data store server correct? Also since the Enterprise edition allows m...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

OL2003
I have a user who is trying to migrate his .pst file from one system to another. So he sent his pst file to himself using OL2002 but when he opens his e-mail in OL2003 the file is blocked. I found a list of files that are blocked and according to the list .pst isn't one of them. Does anybody have a better list that includes .pst files. Sure would make it easier to explain to the user With the research I have done so far this appears to cleary be a client issue and not an Exchange issue. I have no problem seeing the .pst and downloading it in OL2002. The only way so far that...

List folders to file
Hi Does anyone have a macro that would list all the folders (with path) and subfolders to an excel sheet but not the files? Thanks Shona Shona- There's a function called CELL() that should return your filename (or any of a number of parameters) but I can't get it to work properly on my machine, so I can't make it work for you. The syntax is =CELL("filename") which ought to return the path and filename of the current file, and which you could then trim down to show just the path. Can anyone provide some guidance here? Dave, If it isn't working for you, it pro...

Exchange 2003 environment
Hello, I have one Windows 2000 server as a domain controller running Exchange 2000. Is it possible to do an upgrade of exchange only to Exchange 2003 but leave Windows on 2000? or will I need to upgrade windows to 2003 as well? From what I have read it looks as if Exchange 2003 will run in a Windows 2000 domain but I just want word from someone who has some experience. Thanks, Chris DeFreitas Yes you can upgrade to Exchange 2003 without upgrading to Windows 2003 -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Chris DeFreitas" <chris@N...

Outlook xp Offline folders vs O2k3 Cached Exchange mode
I recently upgraded a group of executives from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. I used the "upgrade" option. I also installed O2K3 SP1. They all have laptops and use offline folders. Several have had various offline folder issues since the upgrade. Is there something I need to configure in order for them to continue to use their offline folders? or Does Cached Exchange mode replace Offline folders? Are there known issues with the upgrade and offline folders? I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your time! techguyasap <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...