Server Mail retention with outlook

Hi,

Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my messages
on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough to know which are
the new messages to download? sometimes, it downloads all my messages all
over again....

Regards,
MWGP

0
gpwong (39)

Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing =
the problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook.  Disable =
scanning email.

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, MWGP asked:

| Hi,
|=20
| Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my
| messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough
| to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it
| downloads all my messages all over again....
|=20
| Regards,
| MWGP
0
MillyS (3228)
12/30/2006 6:29:05 PM
outlook works exactly this way - but if something interrupts it before it
makes note of the messages it downloaded, it won't know what was downloaded
before. Also, in some versions this information is stored in the pst, so
opening the pst with other profiles or machines could mess it up.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"MWGP" <gpwong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my
> messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough to
> know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it downloads all
> my messages all over again....
>
> Regards,
> MWGP

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/31/2006 12:32:30 AM
I read about that and I actually removed my antivirus software soemtime ago
to see if the problem persists. Apparently, it happens again even without
AV. Is there any tool could help to ensure outlook or exchange server to
download only the new messages?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing the
problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook.  Disable
scanning email.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, MWGP asked:

| Hi,
|
| Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my
| messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough
| to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it
| downloads all my messages all over again....
|
| Regards,
| MWGP

0
gpwong (39)
1/2/2007 11:58:09 AM
the only way is to not leave mail on the server.

--

>I read about that and I actually removed my antivirus software soemtime ago
>to see if the problem persists. Apparently, it happens again even without
>AV. Is there any tool could help to ensure outlook or exchange server to
>download only the new messages?
>
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing
> the problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook.  Disable
> scanning email.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, MWGP asked:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my
> | messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough
> | to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it
> | downloads all my messages all over again....
> |
> | Regards,
> | MWGP

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/2/2007 3:08:06 PM
FWIW, if you have both a POP3 account and an Exchange Server account in the
SAME Outlook profile and they both point at the SAME Exchange Server,
duplicate emails are a VERY common side effect:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245446/
XCLN: Error Message: No Transport Provider Was Available

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"MWGP" <gpwong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I read about that and I actually removed my antivirus software soemtime
ago
> to see if the problem persists. Apparently, it happens again even without
> AV. Is there any tool could help to ensure outlook or exchange server to
> download only the new messages?
>
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
> Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing
the
> problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook.  Disable
> scanning email.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> reading.
>
> After furious head scratching, MWGP asked:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my
> | messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough
> | to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it
> | downloads all my messages all over again....
> |
> | Regards,
> | MWGP

0
hhh6225 (363)