Sending a file link with a command line parameter

Hi,

I want to sent a link to my users (internal network), which opens a
local program.

I can do this by inserting this link in my outlook mail:

file://c:/myapp.exe

But what if I wanted to send a parameter (like a customerID) in the
mail. This doesn't work...

file://c:/myapp.exe customerID=1234

Any idea?

Thanks!

M O J O

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:20:18 +0100, M O J O wrote in
microsoft.public.outlook:

>I want to sent a link to my users (internal network), which opens a
>local program.
>
>I can do this by inserting this link in my outlook mail:
>
>file://c:/myapp.exe
>
>But what if I wanted to send a parameter (like a customerID) in the
>mail. This doesn't work...
>
>file://c:/myapp.exe customerID=1234

Have you tried to put the whole thing in pointy brackets? Like:
  <file://c:/myapp.exe customerID=1234>

Or: Create a shortcut file (.LNK) with the required command line and
attach that to your message. However, there's a good chance that that
kind of attachment might be blocked.

Or: put the above shortcut onto a network share and include a link to
that shortcut in your message: file://F:/folder/App.lnk

--
Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"
0

Thank you for helping me out here!!!

Kind regards,
M O J O

Michael Bednarek wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:20:18 +0100, M O J O wrote in
> microsoft.public.outlook:
>

>>I want to sent a link to my users (internal network), which opens a
>>local program.
>>
>>I can do this by inserting this link in my outlook mail:
>>
>>file://c:/myapp.exe
>>
>>But what if I wanted to send a parameter (like a customerID) in the
>>mail. This doesn't work...
>>
>>file://c:/myapp.exe customerID=1234
>

> Have you tried to put the whole thing in pointy brackets? Like:
>   <file://c:/myapp.exe customerID=1234>
>
> Or: Create a shortcut file (.LNK) with the required command line and
> attach that to your message. However, there's a good chance that that
> kind of attachment might be blocked.
>
> Or: put the above shortcut onto a network share and include a link to
> that shortcut in your message: file://F:/folder/App.lnk

How do I get my send button to show
I can create a new message but can not send it, as I do not have a send button on screen. I went to help and it suggested maybe I do not have an account so I tried to set one up but do not have the right connection in the tool area. Can someone please help. I use MS Office Outlook 2003. Send button will show up after you correctly set up your account in Tools, email accounts. Get your POP server settings from your Internet provider. Outlook is not used for free Web mail like Yahoo or Hotmail. "maddie" wrote: > I can create a new message but can not send it, as I do not ...

Outlook Connector Outook Live send/receive error caused by safe list
Outlook Connector for Outlook Live will only intermittently send/receive mail from my Hotmail account into my Outlook 2003. The two times I can get this to work successfully are right after I install Outlook Connector and right after I send and e-mail from my Hotmail account withing Outlook. All other times, I see the following error messsage in the "Detailed Report" from the "Server Status" in Outlook below. FYI, it will always download my Contacts. ------------------------------------------------- Outlook Connector Version 1.5.6232.0 Account: bbmcgee@hotmail.com Sig...

Intermittent file save errors
When working with a 7.5 meg workbook in Excel 2000 every now and again we get the following error msg "Your changes could not be saved to 'BOOK1.XLS', but were saved to '4CCA4100'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name." We save to a network drive.The local drive has plenty of free space. Is the file too big? This type of error is usually caused by too many files in your C:\Temp directory. Delete all files in C:\Temp directory and see if the error persists. Regards Jed "Bernard" <bernard@e-inn...

outlook email embedded links do not activate
The links embedded in outlook emails do not activate any more - no matter how you click on them. Is there any suggestion to find out what made them stop working? They worked for a couple of years - now they do not. Thanks eg ...

Unable to send emails via Windows Live Mail
Hi, i have been using windows live mail for a while now and have never been able to send anything from one of my email accounts, I have logged onto this particulay email account as webmail and am able to send that way, but it is very inconvenient. thi error message i keep getting is: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'testing' Server: 'smtp.iprimus.com.au' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10060 i have read through several other posts and tried changing the port numbers as suggested...

Send To/Mail Recipient, Send button does not work.
I am stumped. I am using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Pro machine. When I right-click a file and select "send to - mail recipient", everything functions normally. A message window pops up with the file I right-clicked attached and a breif message automatically inserted in the body of the e-mail. However, when I add any valid e-mail address and click send, nothing happens. When I hover the mouse over the send button, it highlights like it should, and when I click it, it depresses like it shoud, but nothing happens. The window stays open, and the message never gets sent. Sending a mess...

programtically change an Embedded picture of a command button
I'd like to prgramatically change the Embeded picture of a command button. I don't want to use a linked picture because the application is portable and I don't want to have to copy the image along with the .mdb Anyone have sample code for this? Have an invisible CommandButton of the same size with the required image embedded, then use the PictureData property. Me.cmd1.PictureData = Me.cmd2.PictureData should do it. -Jon "TADropik" <tom@sportmutt.com> wrote in message news:0BBECB0B-06BB-42D4-8FA4-7B0565E84E7E@microsoft.com... > I'd like t...

A Publisher viewer would make it easier to read other's pub files
I'm finding it rather frustating not being able to open other people's pub files. Why isn't there a publisher viewer?? This can't be doing great things for the amount of usage of publisher... considering anyone who uses it can't show their work to others... whereas PDFs etc... its an open-source format. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the ...

#N/A plotted as 0 on line chart
From all I've seen, #N/A should be the value to use if you do not want blanks to show on your line chart. I have a table showing load times for two different databases over 30 days. Sheet 1 shows the chart. Sheet 2 contains VLOOKUP functions to pull the last 30 days worth of data from Sheet 3 (which has all the data starting early December) If I have blanks on sheet 3, my VLOOKUP functions (Looking like this: "=IF(ISERR(VLOOKUP(I6,Driver!A:J,4,FALSE)),NA(),VLOOKUP(I6,Driver!A:J,4,FALSE))" ) correctly return "#N/A" to the cell. When the line chart hits...

Send Queue
I have recently installed Exchange on SBS2003. I have made sure that relaying is not allowed however I cotinue to get a critical error stating that "a large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send queue." When I view the queues, I see a number of msgs from the default SMTP Virtual Server all from postmaster of my domain to various domains of which I know we are not sending mail to. I assume this is a common problem and I was just wondering what I could do to work around this so I don't have to keep flushing the queue of these msgs. Thank you for your help...

Outlook 2002 vs. WinXP-SP2 -- Send/Receive Errors
Strange problem. I am running Outlook 2002 on a WinXP/Home system, and acquired Service Pack 2 for WinXP via auto-update yesterday. Now Outlook 2002 won't send or receive mail on any of the three accounts I have set up; I consistently get "unknown error" messages. One of the two accounts returns 0x80046800 as the unknown error, the other two return 0x80040813. The problem does *not* appear to be a firewall issue, as disabling the new Windows Firewall doesn't help, nor does adding OUTLOOK.EXE to the firewall's exception list. I have been prowling in the Knowledg...

HD crash
can I recover? I had .pst files, but the guy who copied my hard drive didn't copy those. I have a bunch of .dbx files that he recovered. can I do anything with them without buying software. Or, if I must buy software, what is good? Outlook 2003 - and I know how to use it well. thx ..dbx files are for Outlook Express. Looks like you paid the wrong person to do your recovery. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratchi...

PST file reached his limits
Hi there, I was wondering if anybody knows a way or got a program to split pst files. The situation is that we got a policy that limits the pst files to 1.5 GB. This because we find lots of problems with pst files that are bigger then 1.5 GB. The problem is that users have pst files bigger then 1.5 GB, how they did it i dont know but i would like to know a way to split those files so we can use those pst files again. We cant get the policy off, this is because its just on accidentalbase. Hope you guys can help me! Greets Tom Kruijf;115982 Wrote: > Hi ther...

Macro commands to assign colors to each line in an Excel chart.
Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each individual line of a scatter graph? Hi, First, scatter charts do not usually display as lines, so when you say line what do you mean? You chosen as style with connecting lines? or you are refering to drop lines, or error bar lines, or...? You can tell Excel to vary the color by point but if you want to assign specific colors to specific points you will need to write a macro. What version of Excel are you using? -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "JohnnyC" wr...

Update Form with Command Button
I have a report which is created using criteria entered into a form. There is already a button on the form which opens the report. If someone does not tab out of a particular box then sometimes the the control isn't updated and the report doesn't get the proper criteria. I can use the button to update all of the individual controls before creating the form, but can I use the button to update the entire form instead? RMires, Just do a... Refresh DoCmd.OpenReport... etc... -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009 http://ho...

Media Player 11 Changes Media Icons On All My Media Files
I just loaded MP11 and suddenly realized the icons on all my media files had been changed to some icon I did not recognize. The Media application icon is as it should be but files I am use to looking at have changed. It is possible to revert this back or do I need to just roll back to MP10 Media File Icon before: ****************** Media File after upgrade to MP7: begin 666 1WinMedia 7 file Icon Before.jpeg M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0```0`!``#_VP!#``$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$! M`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0'_ MVP!#`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0$!`0...

Open PO in Dynamics not showing Line Item on Order in Business Por
Quantity Ordered in Purchase Order Entry shows 60 but when I look item up in the Business Portal under Inventory Items On Order shows 0??? Please help!!! Have you Printed the PO yet? What does Quantity On Order in GP Item Inquiry say? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "tstrop" wrote: > Quantity Ordered in Purchase Order Entry shows 60 but when I look item up in > the Business Portal under Inventory Items On Orde...

ActiveX control to send appointment?
Currently I use Microsoft MAPI Session and Messages Controls to programatically send mail. I don't see how to use these controls to send an appointment. Does anyone know what ActiveX controls are available to send appointments to Outlook clients or how to use the MAPI controls to do this? Thanks You have to use actual Outlook automation code to do that by sending out meeting requests. Look at www.outlookcode.com to see examples of Outlook automation code. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003...

Non-Automatic Link Updating in Excel 2003
I wrote a large system of about 30 Excel workbooks that are all linked together in various ways. I've been using this sytem for several years under Excel 2000. I just got Excel 3000 (XP), and to my disbelief, every time I open a workbook, I have to digress and answer questions about the link updating. If I go into Edit->Links I see the usual (with some new features) links window. I checked the box that says to do the updating automatically. I selected the option that says to always update the links and DO NOT present me with a popup message asking me if I want to. These two ite...

GP8.0
Hi, one of the user was posting a purchase receipt when its computer crashed. this cause and issue because now each time we go to the PURCHASE ORDER DOCUMENT INQUIRY screen, we get a PRIMARY KEY VIOLATION error [Microsoft]ODBC Sql Server Driver SQL SERVER Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint PK##0300334. Cannot insert duplicate key in object dbo.##0300334. then it says : the stored procedure popSelectPoDocumentInquiry returned the following results : DBMS: 2627, Great Plains:0. i narrowed it down and i figured out that the Purchase receipt is showing in both POP10600 and POP30300 w...

Send As but not Delete
Hello All, We are running Exch 2003 SP2 with Outlook 2007 SP2 clients and are looking to permission a shared mailbox let's call Support (not PF) so that a specific user can access this Support via OWA, send as Support, but not delete anything. In AD, the specific user does not have Mailbox rights, but in Outlook, I have added Publishing editor to Outlook today (top level) and the Inbox. When opening OWA, as the user, it gets to the mailbox but shows nothing - no folders, etc. Is what we are looking for possible? If so, can someone please shed some light ont he prop...

Corrupt *.pst file
Have a large *.pst file that was running during a power outage, and has become corrupt. Outlook help suggests that I run scanpst, which returns no errors in any of the file segments in both normal and safe mode, but Outlook still can not open. Have created a new *.pst file and attempted to import from the old, same results. No success with Scanpst, no success with import, no loading through adding new folder to existing Outlook. Any thoughts ?? Create a new Mail Profile in Control Panel, Mail. "metric4u@yahoo.com" wrote: > Have a large *.pst file that was running during a ...

Auto Search When File Opens
Is there a way to configure a spreadsheet so it automatically comes up with the FIND tool as soon as the sheet opens? Thanks, Mark Is there a specific group of text that you want to find? A macro could be written to find it. Otherwise, try CONTROL F. "markmidwest" wrote: > Is there a way to configure a spreadsheet so it automatically comes up with > the FIND tool as soon as the sheet opens? > > Thanks, > Mark You can have a macro run each time that the workbook opens: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Worksheets("sheet1").Select 'open to...

webpage to upload excel files
I need to give some people a way to upload their files (excel spreadsheets) for further analysis. Actually, it a survey files. For uploading I need to give them a simple webpage with a custom appearance with a window to locate a file for uploading and a button to submit/upload the file. Those people who are uploading files shouldn’t have any access to anything else except that webpage. Please, advise if it's possible with Puclisher. If not please advise how I could implement it. Thanks Not natively with Publisher. Ask your host what they support for uploads (some hosts don&#...

File open from Windows Explorer fails after Get External Data
Using Excel 97, is anyone aware of a problem where, after having "got external data" from a SQL database into a spreadsheet, an Excel file will not open from Windows Explorer. I receive no error messages, the open simply does nothing. The only way of opening files is by using the File Open within Excel or closing Excel and re opening all files without "getting external data" at any time. Many thanks Fred Newton Zurich Financial Services Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again...